Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #160

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s thought that he used the sound of the chambering of the gun to scare them to go down the hill.

That's my point

Sorry! I don't get your point then!

I don't see where it was any great feat.

That makes very little sense to me. The vast majority of people that carry concealed, good guys and bad guys, have a round in the chamber unless it's a revolver. Having a gun that is ready to fire is kind of the whole point. An over-abundance of caution doesn't fit in with what all this perp just did.

I'm also not buying in to the "rack it to intimidate" idea. If holding a gun and a knife on me isn't already intimidating, then I don't expect racking the gun to add any additional threat.

So what does that leave?
Placed there to make some kind of statement. Maybe? Strikes me as a strange idea, but then you can't argue with a sick mind.

Dropped by accident in the confusion of killing, moving, and staging. IF I had to pick one, I'd go with that.

He carried it to commit a crime not for protection. Crime done he certainly would not want to hurt himself.

Racking the gun right off insures compliance. He had two to scare.

I don't think he got the knife out until later.

Two young sweet girls are going are to react much more the way he wants after hearing that sound.

If he didn't show he meant business they might try to run or fight him.

Obviously you are gun savvy those of us who are not would be very frightened by the sound more so than just a guy waving around a gun. The sound means shooting is imminent.

all imo

Dozens of tips? I think they might be in for a big surprise!

CARROLL COUNTY — On Thursday, the defense attorneys representing Richard “Rick” Allen filed a motion with the court requesting additional funding….……

…….In court filings, they ask the judge to approve the addition of an investigator to help sort through dozens of tips.”

I’m more confused about how not one person, not the CO that interviewed him, not the town busy body, not the guy who served him at the local bar, not the mum who picks up a prescription every week, no friend, no family, no one thought that this pic resembled RA. No one called LE and said, ‘hey, that pic on the bridge kinda looks like my neighbour, my cousin, the guy that drinks at my bar, the guy at the CVS’ nothing? No one? Moo
Maybe they did but LE needed something concrete for their PCA?

Last edited:
Crazy thought: Looking at the Gary Hughes recreation video on youtube... I wondered if RA chose that place to park because he originally planned to abduct and walk them UNDER the bridge to the east, across that small creek and then attack them in that very isolated section of the woods directly across from his car on the other side of deer creek.

That way, he could work his way back to his car at the CPS building WITHOUT having to walk along the paved road where he was eventually seen.

It could be that when the girls ran and maybe went into the creek, that foiled his plan. Made him improvise to use the flatland where the girls were eventually found.

Just a stray thought that entered my mind when I watched his excellent video.

Plinking with his expensive Sig seems likely.

I disagree. It's not a fun gun to shoot, most target shooting is done with .22 or 9mm. Ammo is much cheaper, less recoil and just more fun to shoot in general than a .40.

The unspent bullet located between the bodies- my thought is while the bodies were being “posed” it dropped out of his pocket. MOO
I don't know why he'd have a round in his pocket.

We've heard that he racked the slide while on the bridge with the girls, presumably to force compliance. Maybe he did carry one in the chamber like most people who CCW. At that point it possibly ejected and landed in the folds of his jeans, remember he's short and his jeans crumple at the bottom. Maybe it was then dislodged when he was murdering the girls and he didn't realize it.

edit: clarify

Last edited:
Thanks!
I wonder how accurate such generic phone data would have been, if it could be pinpointed to that specific area etc. I have seen a lot of cases where investigators were working the other direction - "where was so-and-so's phone at this time and date?" But I am unfamiliar with it working this way - "give me a list of all the phones on all the providors that were at this location on this date and time." Given the location variables and the popularity of burner phones and pre-paids, it just seems like an impossible task, a shot in the dark at best.

But I know next to nothing about cell location data, so...
Every near pinged phone should have been a line of investigation.

Any crime inveatogation checklist would require.
A CAST analysis of cell phone near the trail woild pinpoint within feet the location of a phone based on the direction the ping was coming into the tower from.

One tower provides the distance from the tower in a band of about a 30 degree arc.
Looking at landscape it’s possible to see where a person could logically be in that arc.
A second tower provides another arc of distance and pinpoints a specific location within the first towers distance from tower arc.

So even given the missed CO report, the phone RA was carrying should have been of extreme internet to investigators.

Last edited:
Crazy thought: Looking at the Gary Hughes recreation video on youtube... I wondered if RA chose that place to park because he originally planned to abduct and walk them UNDER the bridge to the east, across that small creek and then attack them in that very isolated section of the woods directly across from his car on the other side of deer creek.

That way, he could work his way back to his car at the CPS building WITHOUT having to walk along the paved road where he was eventually seen.

It could be that when the girls ran and maybe went into the creek, that foiled his plan. Made him improvise to use the flatland where the girls were eventually found.

Just a stray thought that entered my mind when I watched his excellent video.
Not a bad thought. I always thought Bridge Creek would end up his exit route for that reason. Actually he could walk home shower change clothes and get back to his car that way too.

That makes very little sense to me. The vast majority of people that carry concealed, good guys and bad guys, have a round in the chamber unless it's a revolver. Having a gun that is ready to fire is kind of the whole point. An over-abundance of caution doesn't fit in with what all this perp just did.

I'm also not buying in to the "rack it to intimidate" idea. If holding a gun and a knife on me isn't already intimidating, then I don't expect racking the gun to add any additional threat.

So what does that leave?
Placed there to make some kind of statement. Maybe? Strikes me as a strange idea, but then you can't argue with a sick mind.

Dropped by accident in the confusion of killing, moving, and staging. IF I had to pick one, I'd go with that.
MOO people do dumb gun things all the time with no pressure on. Forgetting you already racked seems so likely in the midst of committing a murder.

Every near pinged phone should have been a line of investigation.
SBMFF
I totally agree and have wondered why his phone wasn't investigated when they did the tower dump (I hopefully I'm saying that right). They had to know who was in the area at the time, so how did that get skipped, too? If they looked at all users in the area then they would have investigated him from that angle, despite having "lost" his self reporting being there that day.

I’m more confused about how not one person, not the CO that interviewed him, not the town busy body, not the guy who served him at the local bar, not the mum who picks up a prescription every week, no friend, no family, no one thought that this pic resembled RA. No one called LE and said, ‘hey, that pic on the bridge kinda looks like my neighbour, my cousin, the guy that drinks at my bar, the guy at the CVS’ nothing? No one? Moo
I read your post earlier and wanted to respond because it does seem super odd.

I have to wonder if RA told everyone he was out of town that day and ONLY told the CO he was at the trails since he'd been seen. Maybe he was supposed to be gone that day or maybe he'd been out of town and was expected back later that evening but came home early and killed the girls. His wife wouldn't have suspected him if she was under the impression he was x00 miles away from home at the time.

I have also been thinking recently, did the witnesses go into CVS ever? Did RA recognize them? Did he try to avoid them?

SBMFF
I totally agree and have wondered why his phone wasn't investigated when they did the tower dump (I hopefully I'm saying that right). They had to know who was in the area at the time, so how did that get skipped, too? If they looked at all users in the area then they would have investigated him from that angle, despite having "lost" his self reporting being there that day.
IMO, the defence will ask that very question.

We don't know that at all, do we.?

Dozens of tips? I think they might be in for a big surprise!

CARROLL COUNTY — On Thursday, the defense attorneys representing Richard “Rick” Allen filed a motion with the court requesting additional funding….……

…….In court filings, they ask the judge to approve the addition of an investigator to help sort through dozens of tips.”
MOO The D is looking at SODDI based on tips. They think bringing dozens of people saying they saw this and that can defuse the effect trail witnesses.

Last edited:
SBMFF
Exactly. No CO report needed to open up a line.

if he soaked the entire knife and didn't just wipe it down in bleach. Ever nook and cranny would need to be broken apart and soaked in bleach as knives have pits in the material and portions not reachable unless the knife is broken down. Did LE ask RAs wife if he had guns and knives? . I can't remember. A significant blood loss is assumed to be lost by the victims. Strangulation generally does not produce this is why I think it is assumed by many he used a knife. All IMO. Thanks for your reply.
Yes. LE asked RA's wife about knives and guns.

SBMFF
Keep in mind we have no idea what they did or didn't do. There is a lot of speculation that the police didn't do anything with anything. My guess is they have done everything that posters are assuming they haven't done. We won't know until trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18