Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #162

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
06/15/2023Hearing
Session:
06/15/2023 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Gull, Frances -SJ
Session:
06/16/2023 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Gull, Frances -SJ

Each time the can gets kicked down the road, even though I know every case goes through the same tactics, I "can't help hoping" that this one is different. e.g. that a plea is being bargained; an admission to shorten the ordeal, though not ideal either. Thanks for posts that ground us, clearing the smog of 'legalese'.

None of this is really a surprise…but don’t know how the defence can argue evidence isn’t strong enough to keep RA behind bars when it’ll take at least a year for them to comb through the amount of evidence.

“In addition to the bail issue, the parties involved will discuss potential dates for a new trial during the June hearing. An Allen County court official said Allen’s attorneys told the court it would be “shocking” if they could be ready for trial before the end of the year due to the amount of evidence they have to comb through during discovery……

……Allen’s defense team is seeking to have him released on a “reasonable bail” as he awaits trial, arguing that the evidence isn’t strong enough to keep him behind bars. Prosecutors countered that the evidence “adds up to strong and evident proof of guilt” and believe Allen should stay in custody.”

Last edited:
It’s hard for me to come to terms with the fact that Indiana LE, local, state and federal, for almost 6 years accomplished absolutely nothing in their investigation. They held all their cards so tight, never sharing anything, and they did not have a clue. Their stupid pompous press conferences, sound and fury, signifying nothing.
And now, silence. Not even an apology to the families.
I hope Indiana justice is better than Indiana LE.

Agreed, since living here I've come to that same conclusion.

Often times I wonder if the DA's offices should get cases before LE, methinks LE here are not up to the task of doing due diligence in challenging investigations. Other states have the cases given directly to the DA, and the DA and LE work together.

JMO

Just curious what you mean by this. What files would a court house have that are unrecorded but available for public viewing?
I don't know about unrecorded files. As I understand, if I go to the courthouse I can see the pdf of a motion not just the notation that a motion was made. I think I'll have access to any actual filing that's public.

Often times I wonder if the DA's offices should get cases before LE, methinks LE here are not up to the task of doing due diligence in challenging investigations. Other states have the cases given directly to the DA, and the DA and LE work together.

JMO
Same...two words...David Camm. :mad: But the first prosecutor was dirty on that case and the other 2 wouldn't let it go. That case makes me so mad!

JMO
DA's offices can't get cases before LE.

All cases start with LE investigations and it is those investigations that give the probable cause for arrest Warrants.

The DA has their own investigators they use when trying to decide if they will pursue charges against someone and they also work with LE. If not sure that there is enough evidence they can empanel a Grand Jury.

This latest issue is still behind a paywall but here are a couple of blurbs from two front page articles about the trial:
The Carroll County Council met in special session to discuss and ultimately fund, new positions for the Prosecutor’s Office to...
A motion was filed in Carroll Circuit Court by Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland to keep all information in the...

If anyone can find the video or minutes from McL's appearance before the county council, it would be appreciated.

None of this is really a surprise…but don’t know how the defence can argue evidence isn’t strong enough to keep RA behind bars when it’ll take at least a year for them to comb through the amount of evidence.

“In addition to the bail issue, the parties involved will discuss potential dates for a new trial during the June hearing. An Allen County court official said Allen’s attorneys told the court it would be “shocking” if they could be ready for trial before the end of the year due to the amount of evidence they have to comb through during discovery……

……Allen’s defense team is seeking to have him released on a “reasonable bail” as he awaits trial, arguing that the evidence isn’t strong enough to keep him behind bars. Prosecutors countered that the evidence “adds up to strong and evident proof of guilt” and believe Allen should stay in custody.”

Why do you think RA's attorneys are dragging their feet on a bail hearing date?

I'm still hung up on the white soled shoes behind his left foot. No one has explained this. Not even Gray Hughes. He did find the white mark on the bridge though when he placed BG at that point on the bridge. JMO
what "white soled shoes behind his left foot" are you referring to? Because I sure don't see any white sole shoes. Were these shoes being worn by the puppy he was carrying inside his jacket perchance? ;-)

Question wasn’t to me, but I’d like to chime in with an optimistic thought. If RA is guilty, he may have told his attorney a damning, indefensible fact. His lawyers may be trying to sniff out if that fact is known to LE, and in evidence. For example, (and I’m just theorizing), RA may have told them he threw the murder weapon in the river. And we know LE did some river searches… and maybe LE has it. Or not.

Or, maybe LE has additional video of RA which helps prove the timeline of him being near the girls.

Again, just theorizing why defense might hold off. If they are able to get prosecution to release more discovery evidence, they may find that the ‘smoking gun’ that they fear was uncovered by LE was in fact not found, and isn’t actually in evidence. Their chance at getting bail may become much greater.

Conversely, if they learn LE has the ‘smoking gun’, they may decide it is best to work with prosecution to offer RA a plea deal of some kind.

jmo

This latest issue is still behind a paywall but here are a couple of blurbs from two front page articles about the trial:

If anyone can find the video or minutes from McL's appearance before the county council, it would be appreciated.
Did you check Debbie L's U Tube? She posts the council meetings on there.

Yeppers... YIKES!! IIRC, wasn't it TL who said words to that effect when he spoke about "the killer possibly being in the same room, and hiding in plain sight"?
Carter did say that at the 2019 PC.
He went on to say he believed someone else knew. I felt like these comments were directed towards BG’s wife, daughter, mother…

[Speaking] Directly to the Killer, who may be in this room: We believe you were hiding in plain sight. For more than 2 years, you never thought we would shift gears to a different investigative strategy. But we have. We likely have interviewed you or someone close to you. We know this is about power to you, and you want to know what we know. And one day, you will. A question to you: What will those closest to you think of you when they find out that you brutally murdered two little girls? Two children! Only a coward would do such a thing. We are confident that you have told someone what you have done, or at the very least they know because of how different you are since the murders.

And he said it again to Good Morning America in May 2019

Authorities have not released information about how the girls died, but Carter said he believes the killer is hiding within the close-knit Delphi community. He said someone knows who the killer is but is afraid to come forward.

“If somebody knows something, they need to tell us. I think they’re afraid too,” he said. “Somebody knows who that person is.”
(…)
“Somebody that commits a horrific crime like this against two little girls probably has shown signs of violence in the past … he didn’t just all of a sudden decide to do this one day,” Carter said.

He said it could be a family member, friend or some other person “that knows something happened after that day” and noticed a change in the suspect.

what "white soled shoes behind his left foot" are you referring to? Because I sure don't see any white sole shoes. Were these shoes being worn by the puppy he was carrying inside his jacket perchance? ;-)
If you watch the video of BG on the bridge very closely you can see two white soles on shoes behind BG's left foot. Abby had on black canvas high tops with white soles in the picture Libby took of her on the bridge. They are only there for a split second. It is not visible on every youtube video. I think it depends on the speed of the video. Is there something LE is not telling us?

RA’s attorneys are sort of backing themselves in a corner by arguing evidence isn’t strong enough to keep behind bars because if/when bail is denied that suggests evidence is indeed strong. Could be wrong but I still have a feeling a future plea deal may occur after that. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UK Feline