Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #162

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question -
Based on docs used for search warrant; I'd expect forensic results on these to be presented at trial.

Seems to me these are supportive proofs ...

A family member stated prior to the gag order that they were told by LE that they have DNA.
Hope that they weren't referring to the cat. ;)
Cat DNA is unique just like humans but hopefully they have the murderer's DNA

Delphi murder suspect's Friday hearing will be a remote court appearance​

DELPHI, Ind. — Delphi murder suspect Richard Allen still has a hearing Friday, but Allen, his attorneys, the prosecutor and Judge Frances Gull will remotely attend the hearing.

Media and the public may attend in person at the Carroll Circuit Court.

Gull published an order Thursday moving the hearing from 10 a.m. Friday to 12:30 p.m. Friday.

Delphi murder suspect's Friday hearing will be a remote court appearance

Gull's order does not address whether she will reschedule Allen's trial, which currently is scheduled to begin on March 20.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Lawyers said they are not ready to move forward with the murder trial of Richard Allen.

Allen was scheduled to be in court on Friday for a bail hearing, but his lawyers asked for it to be postponed. Lawyers said they need extra time to look at all the evidence. They first filed the motion to postpone on Feb. 7, and the judge and prosecutors signed off on that request.

According to a story on FOX 59, all parties will meet remotely on Friday, Feb. 17 at 1:30 p.m. to figure out future dates.

It’s hard for me to come to terms with the fact that Indiana LE, local, state and federal, for almost 6 years accomplished absolutely nothing in their investigation. They held all their cards so tight, never sharing anything, and they did not have a clue. Their stupid pompous press conferences, sound and fury, signifying nothing.
And now, silence. Not even an apology to the families.
I hope Indiana justice is better than Indiana LE.

Delphi murder suspect's Friday hearing will be a remote court appearance​

DELPHI, Ind. — Delphi murder suspect Richard Allen still has a hearing Friday, but Allen, his attorneys, the prosecutor and Judge Frances Gull will remotely attend the hearing.

Gull published an order Thursday moving the hearing from 10 a.m. Friday to 12:30 p.m. Friday.

Delphi murder suspect's Friday hearing will be a remote court appearance

Gull's order does not address whether she will reschedule Allen's trial, which currently is scheduled to begin on March 20.
OR
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Lawyers said they are not ready to move forward with the murder trial of Richard Allen.

According to a story on FOX 59, all parties will meet remotely on Friday, Feb. 17 at 1:30 p.m. to figure out future dates.

So - I have seen 1:30pm twice - so I will put him at 1:30pm.... :)

And I can finally shorten this up a bit! :)

Friday, February 17th:
*Bail Review Hearing-Remotely (@ 1:30pm ET) - IN – Abigail Joyce Williams (13) & Liberty Rose Lynn German (14) (Missing Feb. 13, 2017, found killed Feb. 14, 2017, after walking on a local hiking trail & were discovered around noon about 50 feet from the north bank of Deer Creek which is about 0.5 miles from the Monon High Bridge Trail, Delphi) – *Richard “Ricky”/”Rick” Matthew Allen (44 @ time of crime/50) arrested & booked (10/26/22) into the Carroll County Jail & charged & arraigned (10/28/22) with 2 counts of felony murder while committing or attempting to commit kidnapping of both victims. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Transferred to White County jail from Carroll County for security reasons. And was transferred (11/2/22) to IN. Dept. of Corrections at a more secure facility.
Andrew Baldwin & Bradley Rozzi are Allen's public appointed attorneys.
Trial was set to begin on 3/20/23 was continued with no further dates. Jurors will be chosen from Allen County & transported to Carroll County for trial.

Charges, case & court info from 4/19/21 thru 12/12/22 reference post #607 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ers-richard-allen-arrested-161.652249/page-31

12/30/22: Motion filed. Supplemental motion for discovery & request for Rule 404 & 405 evidence by Richard Allen. 1/12/23 Response to a Petition Filed. Response to Motion filed By: State of Indiana. Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland filed a formal response in a supplemental motion for a Dec. 30, 2022 request for discovery & for Rules 404 & 405 evidence requested by Allen’s attorneys. McLeland’s response was filed Jan. 12, 2023 in Carroll Circuit Court.
1/13/23 Update: Judge Fran Gull will hear arguments on the following topics: 1) gag order, 2) a change of venue, 3) a broad discovery request from the defense & 4) another defense request for additional funding for investigators. Judge Gull says that Allen's trial should stay in Carroll County with a jury from another county. Prosecution & defense will agree on what county in the next week. Judge extends gag order for attorneys, families, witnesses in the case. Judge asks lawyers to keep cooperating on discovery. Bail hearing 2/17/23. Parties will discuss new possible trial date then. All agree this case will not be ready for trial in March as scheduled. Judge cleared courtroom of prosecution, family, media & more to hold a closed door request from the defense. Next hearing on 2/17/23 regarding unsealing documents & a bail review hearing.
1/23/23: Both sides have agreed that the Court will choose among Allen County or St. Joseph County to pull jurors for trial. Stipulation regarding defendant's verified Motion for Change of venue from the County filed. Court now grants in whole the State's Motion for Order prohibiting the parties, Counsel, Law Enforcement Officials, Court personnel, Coroner & family members from disseminating information or releasing any extra-Judicial statements by means of public communication (gag order). Court takes Defendant's Supplemental Motion for Discovery & Request for Rule 404 & 405 Evidence under advisement. Court acknowledges the Defendant's Motion for Change of Venue & agrees a jury could not be obtained in Carroll County. Pursuant to I.C. 35-36-6-11, a jury will be selected from another county & transported to Carroll County for trial. Counsel to notify the Court within a week if they can agree to a specific county. Judicial Officer: Frances Gull. Next hearing on 2/17/23 @ 10am. Trial on 3/20/23 has been vacated. 1/24/23 Update: The jury will be selected from Allen County per Judge Gull.
1/27/23: Confidential Order entered by Judge Frances Gull. 1/31/23 Update: Prosecutors are asking an Indiana judge to deny bond for Delphi murders suspect Allen, according to court documents. State believes the evidence shows culpability of the actual crime of Murder, for which bail may be wholly denied," prosecutors said in a response to Allen's request to be released on bail. "That the State believes this evidence shows by preponderance of the evidence that the Defendant committed the crime of Murder." Allen's bond was initially set at $20 million bond after his October 2022 arrest & he filed a petition on Nov. 21, 2022, to be released on bail, claiming proof of guilt is not evident.
2/7/23 Update: Allen's defense team is now asking to delay the bail hearing that was set for next week, saying that they need more time to prepare. According to the motion, the defense said it has “yet to receive the entirety of discovery” from the State & was “not yet prepared to proceed with the bail hearing.” Allen’s counsel anticipated receiving the remaining discovery materials by the end of the week & said it lacked “adequate time to review the discovery in preparation for the bail hearing.” As a result, the defense is asking Special Judge Fran Gull for a delay. If the hearing is continued, the defense acknowledged the court would likely have to push back Allen’s trial, which is scheduled for March 20, 2023. Motion also filed for trial continuance.
2/13/23 Update Prosecutors support a motion from defense lawyers to postpone the bail hearing & trial for Allen. In a response filed Monday in Carroll Circuit Court, Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland said the state didn’t object to the defense’s motion for a continuance. The state filed a motion of its own on Monday, calling for a protective order governing discovery material being provided to the defense. The motion seeks to prevent such materials from being exhibited to the public or viewed by anyone not authorized to do so, including “witnesses, family members, relatives and friends of the Defendant. Authorized individuals would include Allen, his attorneys & any investigators or experts for the defense.
2/13/23: Motion to Intervene Filed. Media Intervenors' Renewed Motion to Intervene & Motion to Grant Public Access to the State's Verified Request to Prohibit Public Access. Filed By: Indiana Broadcasters Assoc., Hoosier State Press Assoc. Inc. The Associated Press, Circle City Broadcasting I, LLC, E.W. Scripps Co., Nexstar Media, Inc., Tegna, Inc. Gannett Satellite Information Indiana Newspapers, LLC, American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., Neuhoff Media Lafayette, LLC, Woof Boom Radio, LLC. 2/13/23: State's response filed to defendant's motion to continue bail hearing & jury trial setting. Not objection to defendant’s motion.
2/16/23: Order Issued. On the Court's Motion & with the consent of the parties, the hearing scheduled for 2/17/23 at 10am on Defendant's Petition to Let Bail will be continued 7 the resetting of the same will be conducted with the attorneys, the Defendant & the Court appearing remotely 2/17/23 at 1:30pm. Court orders the Transport Order for the Defendant cancelled. Per Judge Frances Gull.

And I can finally shorten this up a bit! :)

Friday, February 17th:
*Bail Review Hearing-Remotely (@ 1:30pm ET) - IN – Abigail Joyce Williams (13) & Liberty Rose Lynn German (14) (Missing Feb. 13, 2017, found killed Feb. 14, 2017, after walking on a local hiking trail & were discovered around noon about 50 feet from the north bank of Deer Creek which is about 0.5 miles from the Monon High Bridge Trail, Delphi) – *Richard “Ricky”/”Rick” Matthew Allen (44 @ time of crime/50) arrested & booked (10/26/22) into the Carroll County Jail & charged & arraigned (10/28/22) with 2 counts of felony murder while committing or attempting to commit kidnapping of both victims. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Transferred to White County jail from Carroll County for security reasons. And was transferred (11/2/22) to IN. Dept. of Corrections at a more secure facility.
Andrew Baldwin & Bradley Rozzi are Allen's public appointed attorneys.
Trial was set to begin on 3/20/23 was continued with no further dates. Jurors will be chosen from Allen County & transported to Carroll County for trial.

Charges, case & court info from 4/19/21 thru 12/12/22 reference post #607 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ers-richard-allen-arrested-161.652249/page-31

12/30/22: Motion filed. Supplemental motion for discovery & request for Rule 404 & 405 evidence by Richard Allen. 1/12/23 Response to a Petition Filed. Response to Motion filed By: State of Indiana. Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland filed a formal response in a supplemental motion for a Dec. 30, 2022 request for discovery & for Rules 404 & 405 evidence requested by Allen’s attorneys. McLeland’s response was filed Jan. 12, 2023 in Carroll Circuit Court.
1/13/23 Update: Judge Fran Gull will hear arguments on the following topics: 1) gag order, 2) a change of venue, 3) a broad discovery request from the defense & 4) another defense request for additional funding for investigators. Judge Gull says that Allen's trial should stay in Carroll County with a jury from another county. Prosecution & defense will agree on what county in the next week. Judge extends gag order for attorneys, families, witnesses in the case. Judge asks lawyers to keep cooperating on discovery. Bail hearing 2/17/23. Parties will discuss new possible trial date then. All agree this case will not be ready for trial in March as scheduled. Judge cleared courtroom of prosecution, family, media & more to hold a closed door request from the defense. Next hearing on 2/17/23 regarding unsealing documents & a bail review hearing.
1/23/23: Both sides have agreed that the Court will choose among Allen County or St. Joseph County to pull jurors for trial. Stipulation regarding defendant's verified Motion for Change of venue from the County filed. Court now grants in whole the State's Motion for Order prohibiting the parties, Counsel, Law Enforcement Officials, Court personnel, Coroner & family members from disseminating information or releasing any extra-Judicial statements by means of public communication (gag order). Court takes Defendant's Supplemental Motion for Discovery & Request for Rule 404 & 405 Evidence under advisement. Court acknowledges the Defendant's Motion for Change of Venue & agrees a jury could not be obtained in Carroll County. Pursuant to I.C. 35-36-6-11, a jury will be selected from another county & transported to Carroll County for trial. Counsel to notify the Court within a week if they can agree to a specific county. Judicial Officer: Frances Gull. Next hearing on 2/17/23 @ 10am. Trial on 3/20/23 has been vacated. 1/24/23 Update: The jury will be selected from Allen County per Judge Gull.
1/27/23: Confidential Order entered by Judge Frances Gull. 1/31/23 Update: Prosecutors are asking an Indiana judge to deny bond for Delphi murders suspect Allen, according to court documents. State believes the evidence shows culpability of the actual crime of Murder, for which bail may be wholly denied," prosecutors said in a response to Allen's request to be released on bail. "That the State believes this evidence shows by preponderance of the evidence that the Defendant committed the crime of Murder." Allen's bond was initially set at $20 million bond after his October 2022 arrest & he filed a petition on Nov. 21, 2022, to be released on bail, claiming proof of guilt is not evident.
2/7/23 Update: Allen's defense team is now asking to delay the bail hearing that was set for next week, saying that they need more time to prepare. According to the motion, the defense said it has “yet to receive the entirety of discovery” from the State & was “not yet prepared to proceed with the bail hearing.” Allen’s counsel anticipated receiving the remaining discovery materials by the end of the week & said it lacked “adequate time to review the discovery in preparation for the bail hearing.” As a result, the defense is asking Special Judge Fran Gull for a delay. If the hearing is continued, the defense acknowledged the court would likely have to push back Allen’s trial, which is scheduled for March 20, 2023. Motion also filed for trial continuance.
2/13/23 Update Prosecutors support a motion from defense lawyers to postpone the bail hearing & trial for Allen. In a response filed Monday in Carroll Circuit Court, Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland said the state didn’t object to the defense’s motion for a continuance. The state filed a motion of its own on Monday, calling for a protective order governing discovery material being provided to the defense. The motion seeks to prevent such materials from being exhibited to the public or viewed by anyone not authorized to do so, including “witnesses, family members, relatives and friends of the Defendant. Authorized individuals would include Allen, his attorneys & any investigators or experts for the defense.
2/13/23: Motion to Intervene Filed. Media Intervenors' Renewed Motion to Intervene & Motion to Grant Public Access to the State's Verified Request to Prohibit Public Access. Filed By: Indiana Broadcasters Assoc., Hoosier State Press Assoc. Inc. The Associated Press, Circle City Broadcasting I, LLC, E.W. Scripps Co., Nexstar Media, Inc., Tegna, Inc. Gannett Satellite Information Indiana Newspapers, LLC, American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., Neuhoff Media Lafayette, LLC, Woof Boom Radio, LLC. 2/13/23: State's response filed to defendant's motion to continue bail hearing & jury trial setting. Not objection to defendant’s motion.
2/16/23: Order Issued. On the Court's Motion & with the consent of the parties, the hearing scheduled for 2/17/23 at 10am on Defendant's Petition to Let Bail will be continued 7 the resetting of the same will be conducted with the attorneys, the Defendant & the Court appearing remotely 2/17/23 at 1:30pm. Court orders the Transport Order for the Defendant cancelled. Per Judge Frances Gull.
They changed times faster than we could keep up:
02/16/2023Order Issued
To accommodate Department of Correction availability, the hearing currently set for February 17, 2023 at 1:30 p.m. is reset for February 17, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
Judicial Officer: Gull, Frances -SJ
02/17/2023Hearing
Session: 02/17/2023 12:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Gull, Frances -SJ

I just called Allen County and spoke with the clerk, tomorrow’s hearing will not be live-streamed.
That doesn't surprise me since she agreed to the gag order and blackout. I hope she at least opens up the trial to the media.

She's working out of Carroll Co., isn't she? If it was streamed, it probably would be from there. I've never seen CaCo live stream any of its cases.

They changed times faster than we could keep up:
02/16/2023Order Issued
To accommodate Department of Correction availability, the hearing currently set for February 17, 2023 at 1:30 p.m. is reset for February 17, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
Judicial Officer: Gull, Frances -SJ
02/17/2023Hearing
Session: 02/17/2023 12:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Gull, Frances -SJ

whatever.... LOL! :) At least the hearing is STILL on!

That doesn't surprise me since she agreed to the gag order and blackout. I hope she at least opens up the trial to the media.

She's working out of Carroll Co., isn't she? If it was streamed, it probably would be from there. I've never seen CaCo live stream any of its cases.
Good point about Carroll County. I only called Allen County, and the clerk was quick with her response and with certainty that the hearing would not be live-streamed. I may call Carroll County this morning when the office opens.

The office I called is on pg 2 here, under Allen County Superior Court Criminal Division, Hon. Frances Gull. (and a few other judges)

Good point about Carroll County. I only called Allen County, and the clerk was quick with her response and with certainty that the hearing would not be live-streamed. I may call Carroll County this morning when the office opens.

The office I called is on pg 2 here, under Allen County Superior Court Criminal Division, Hon. Frances Gull. (and a few other judges)

Back when the G Kirts trial was scheduled to begin, I called Newton Co. to see if they intended to live stream it. She said: "No." I said his case has a lot of interest, why not stream it? and she answered that they liked to keep things "here."

I also called for KAK's 2017 (and the 2020?) search warrants and PCAs and was told 'sorry, evidentiary'.

Next on my agenda is a trip to my county court house. I've only ever seen what little info that's available on here: Indiana Courts Case Search - MyCase I want to see an entire case file.

Cat DNA is unique just like humans but hopefully they have the murderer's DNA
Cat hair seems to be a rumor fueled by the DM, but this question / answer by Sheriff TL causes me to pause.

Q. One investigator referred to having DNA but “not what you think.” Can you elaborate on this? How would law enforcement characterize the quality/ quantity of the DNA evidence in this case?

A. Again, an evidentiary question and no response will be afforded.

There will be a virtual hearing tomorrow (today) in the afternoon to set new hearing and trial dates.

It’s hard for me to come to terms with the fact that Indiana LE, local, state and federal, for almost 6 years accomplished absolutely nothing in their investigation. They held all their cards so tight, never sharing anything, and they did not have a clue. Their stupid pompous press conferences, sound and fury, signifying nothing.
And now, silence. Not even an apology to the families.
I hope Indiana justice is better than Indiana LE.
Re: Indiana justice... I'm seeing equally crazy things going through the court system; so I'm tainted.

Example: Some guy from Missouri came through here, his vehicle broke down and our tow truck driver came to help him out. The guy shot him up, tried to kill him. They arrested him, charged attempted murder +3 other felonies... then set a $20,000 cash bond. Now there's a warrant out for his arrest. That's just crazy, IMO.

I've watched a few murder trials that were live streamed and I have been really surprised at the guilty verdicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Her Orangeness