IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #165

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In total, over 75 items were taken by police during two separate searches of Allen’s home on Oct. 13. The first search, which began at 7:09 p.m., yielded the following:
  • A black Sig Sauer P226 .40 caliber handgun
  • A .40 caliber S&W cartridge found in a wooden keepsake box
  • A .40 caliber S&W cartridge found in the Sig Sauer
  • A magazine filled with nine .40 caliber cartridges
  • A magazine filled with eight .40 caliber cartridges
  • A paper-wrapped wooden weave box containing:
    • 2 “Audiovox” devices,
    • 2 silver Motorola flip phones,
    • 4 car chargers, and
    • 3 wall outlet chargers
A property receipt filed by police indicated that both the Sig Sauer pistol and the cartridge found in the wooden box were sent to a lab for examination.

Later into the night of Oct. 13, around 9:45 p.m., police returned to the 1900 block of Whiteman Drive for a second search. This time, they seized:
  • 7 various sheathed knives
  • 8 various folding knives
  • 4 various multi-tools
  • A miniature katana with a red tassel
  • 3 pairs of boots
  • 12 various quarter-zip or full-zip sweatshirts
  • 3 coats
  • 4 various stocking caps and hats
  • 10 pairs of gloves
  • Various fabric straps
  • 2 HP Laptops
  • Multiple headbands
  • Cardboard phone box
  • Empty ammo box
  • 3 flash drives, 1 labeled “Rick”
  • 2 hard drives
  • An iPod
  • 12 cell phones
  • 2 pagers
  • Several miscellaneous chargers and phone accessories
  • A GPS system
  • A motorcycle cover
  • An Aquafina water bottle
The search warrants continued the following day on Oct. 14, 2022, when ISP troopers searched a Ford Focus at ISP District 14’s post in West Lafayette. The search, which docs show occurred around 2 p.m., yielded three items:
  • A cutting of carpeted area under a spare tire in the Ford Focus
  • Swabbing from the driver’s lap belt and the driver’s shoulder belt in the Ford Focus
  • Swabbing from the passenger side carpeted floorboards

Hi all. I didn't really begin paying close attention to this case until April 2021 when JBC was arrested in nearby Lafayette. (The reason is really ridiculous - Delphi is too close to home, and I knew if I paid close attention I would never let my children play outside until it was resolved.) I also prefer to get my information almost exclusively via text/print for whatever reason, so I am *just now* starting the HLN Down the Hill podcast. I'm kicking myself for having resisted this long. I am two episodes in and fascinated. And again reminded that Delphi is, in my estimation, a VERY small town with a population under 3K.

Which is why it didn't sit right with me that no one had tipped RA in. Now, full disclosure - I have been pretty firmly in the "it's a CSAM ring" since investigators asked for info from the public about Anthony Shots (not KAK, mind you) and yellow/yubo. That initial ask for info about Anthony Shots occurred in the midst of some back and forth on JBC's MyCase (court record) for the above-referenced attempted murder right before sentencing, which is possibly a coincidence, but there are just so many of them in this case. Like the sheer volume of child-related sex crime arrests in this state over the last several years. (Oh, and I think that linked post was before this crazy CA-Kokomo-International arrest happened.) And JBC and KAK lived in Peru previously. (Peru must feel like the big city compared to Delphi! But it's still tiny at roughly 11K people.)

We (the general public) are to belive that no one tipped Mr. CVS in (or if they did LE didn't investigate it or found nothing suspicious), the tip *he turned in on himself* was "misfiled" for 5 YEARS, AND the FBI just forgot to pick up surveillance footage from the Marathon gas station that KAK (or was it Anthony Shots, someone chime in) searched for the day of the murders?

I don't buy that. I think it IS a ring, and that LE (by which I mean likely FBI and ISP) are untangling all its tentacles (a word that I still find to be an interesting choice). RA was self-admittedly on the High Bridge that day at that time, and I have no believable explanation as to why a bullet from his gun (if that evidence is to be scientifcally trusted) was found at the crime scene on RL's private property if he was not somehow involved.

All the above said, my read on RA is that something in the Discovery documents he was given by his attorney in April spooked him BAD. He then repeatedly told his wife something interpreted as a confession, started eating paper to get rid of it, and immediately suffered what appears to be a serious mental health crisis. How could something spook him that badly if he already knew about it? What would spook him that badly? Or maybe who? To me, it doesn't appear to be an act.

Attorney Shay Hughes is again talking on Twitter (X) and Instagram about the motion to suppress the search warrant. The Instagram acct has some discussion on the issue of whether or not the PCA supports it.

I really doubt they will get anywhere with this.

it's kind of amazing to me that we will get to a year post arrest and the search warrant issue still won't have been resolved when it would appear to be critical to the case. If this was such a good argument, I feel like they would have pushed for a hearing months ago and if successful, sought the dismissal of the case.

it's kind of amazing to me that we will get to a year post arrest and the search warrant issue still won't have been resolved when it would appear to be critical to the case. If this was such a good argument, I feel like they would have pushed for a hearing months ago and if successful, sought the dismissal of the case.
Some courts move slowly, as you know. I agree with you that it won't likely get anywhere.

As for the motion to suppress the search, I think this is were it stands. Since I don't have the motions before me, this is really a guess. Maybe they are in the 118 item doc dump?
05/22/2023Motion to Suppress Filed
Motion to Suppress
Filed By: Allen, Richard M.
File Stamp: 05/19/2023
06/13/2023Objection Filed
State's Objection to Defendant's Motion to Suppress.
Filed By: State of Indiana
06/22/2023Order Issued
Defendant appears in person and with counsel, Bradley Rozzi and Andrew Baldwin. State by Prosecuting Attorney Nicholas McLeland. Court is informed by Counsel that the hearing on defendant's Motion to Suppress needs to be continued to be reset once defense counsel files its notice of omissions/inaccuracies. (I edited the rest out because it's not relevant to this point)
Gull, Frances -SJ
Order Signed: 06/20/2023

I missed the chain of custody docs in the SW return. Do you know if those are usually sealed?

Yes I agree. The fact that three (or four?) witnesses sighted him at the bridge I think is further proof he didn’t have a preset murder plan in place at that time although it appears he was already agitated over something. However he couldn’t have known if any of those witnesses recognized him from the CVS store which may be why he later admitted having crossed paths with them. But it doesn’t really make sense to still go ahead with a murder plot, knowing you’ve been sighted.

It’s more likely IMO that something set him off into a blind rage, rather than he went there in anticipation of committing a double murder because he learned in advance two teens would be there. The trail itself was known to be a magnet for young people, which he had to have been fully familiar with given he was local. In my mind it resembles someone telling a thief there’s money in a bank. It goes without saying, it’s unnecessary.

I might change my mind if there was even one iota of a suggestion that RA was involved in any sort of illicit online communication involving minors but so far…..nothing. I get the impression LE wants to permanently disconnect RA from KK, even though KK did his part in inviting the rumours as well. JMO
I don’t think he was ever in a blind rage. I feel like he KNEW killing someone wrong but there was another part of him that was obsessed with thoughts of killing someone.

I feel like there was an intense war between & obsession with these parts/sides.

I feel like he created a sort of “checklist” so that he would believe he had been given a “sign” that it was OK to kill.

If this is correct, he would likely have been on constant “alert” watching for the signs that someone - like a higher being - was giving him the OK to go through with his fantasy. And whatever those “signs” were, he tragically thought he saw them that day.

He evilly thought that gave him the right to take the lives of precious Abby & Libby and destroy their families, friends, community & countless strangers throughout the world that, in death, wrapped their arms around & grieved with the families.

RA went there with a plan to kill. He was heavily disguised (jacked, hoodie, face scarf, ball cap) so no need to worry about being recognized. He was also armed with a knife and gun. He surely wasn't out there for a stroll in the park, fresh air, or fish watching.

Witnesses say he walked with a determined purpose and kept his face down. He showed up just minutes before Abby and Libby on a rare Feb afternoon when school would normally have been in session, and there would have been practically nobody there at that time.

I believe he definitely knew they were going to be there and planned to pull off this terrible murder(s) because of some sick fantasy he had. I wouldn't be surprised if he took photos or video of the scene.

I don't know how he might have been connected to the girls, it could any number of ways including, or not, KK. Maybe he catfished them on his own? We just don't know all of the details yet.

ALL MOO

RA went there with a plan to kill. He was heavily disguised (jacked, hoodie, face scarf, ball cap) so no need to worry about being recognized. He was also armed with a knife and gun. He surely wasn't out there for a stroll in the park, fresh air, or fish watching.

Witnesses say he walked with a determined purpose and kept his face down. He showed up just minutes before Abby and Libby on a rare Feb afternoon when school would normally have been in session, and there would have been practically nobody there at that time.

I believe he definitely knew they were going to be there and planned to pull off this terrible murder(s) because of some sick fantasy he had. I wouldn't be surprised if he took photos or video of the scene.

I don't know how he might have been connected to the girls, it could any number of ways including, or not, KK. Maybe he catfished them on his own? We just don't know all of the details yet.

ALL MOO
He likely saw the girls in the pharmacy, IWT. Maybe that's where they went with parents, or on their own to pic up snacks and so forth.

And despite all of his murderous planning, one little girl (Libby) outsmarted him with her phone.

Amateur opinion and speculation

ALL MOO

Like you, I believe he knew the girls would be at the bridge. He may have been communicating with them directly or learned about their plans through another ped. What’s odd is he doesn’t have a prior record, but apparently had an alcohol problem. I wonder if he needed some liquid courage to commit this horrific crime? I always thought BG may have been drunk, based on his awkward gait on the bridge. JMO

ALL MOO
He wasn't disguised any more than you or I would be dressed like that on a 43 degree day. The girls only had on sweatshirts which is good enough for teenagers at that age. And you have no idea that he planned to kill. Don't make this something that is not necessarily true. We have no idea. JMO

He wasn't disguised any more than you or I would be dressed like that on a 43 degree day. The girls only had on sweatshirts which is good enough for teenagers at that age. And you have no idea that he planned to kill. Don't make this something that is not necessarily true. We have no idea. JMO
Yeah, he doesn't seem to have been terribly disguised to me. Also, if he knew that he would be meeting the girls at the end of the bridge, he could have entered in a similar way to the way he left and avoided all of the witness sightings on the trail.

His behavior seems more consistent to me with coming to the trail looking for potential victims and Libby and Abby just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This is my opinion based on the PCA. He admitted to what he was wearing in his police interview (noticeably covered up) and he's carrying a gun and knife on a walk where he said he was just out observing the stock market on his phone and watching fish.

Sounds pretty suspect to me and obviously LE thinks so as well, as RA is charged and sitting in jail on no bond with the kidnapping and murder of Abby and Libby.

MOO

This is my opinion based on the PCA. He admitted to what he was wearing in his police interview (noticeably covered up) and he's carrying a gun and knife on a walk where he said he was just out observing the stock market on his phone and watching fish.

Sounds pretty suspect to me and obviously LE thinks so as well, as RA is charged and sitting in jail on no bond with the kidnapping and murder of Abby and Libby.

MOO
But we have no proof that the picture of BG on the bridge IS RA. I'd bet you if you looked around you would see at least half the male population wears blue jeans and a blue jacket!

But we have no proof that the picture of BG on the bridge IS RA. I'd bet you if you looked around you would see at least half the male population wears blue jeans and a blue jacket!

Apart from the fact he has admitted he was dressed the same as bridge guy and he has been placed on the second platform moments from when the girls reached the first platform.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

The “every-male-in-Indiana-dresses-like-BG“ idea has been flashed around since almost day one of the crime. There appears to be a lot of validity to it.
However, there is only one of those Indiana males dressed like BG who admits to being on the Monon High Bridge at the time of the kidnapping and murders. Just one. His name is Richard Allen.
It is circumstantial evidence that carries the same weight as physical evidence in a trial. A jury will determine its significance.
Most killers don’t wear neon signs strobing their names and intentions while stalking their victims.

ALL MOO
I don't think he was heavily disguised, we've heard no confirmation of what he was wearing. In the video his face does not appeared to be covered. I don't think he was overly dressed for a 40 degree day, despite the way the girls were dressed.

I don't think him "walking with a purpose" means he knew the girls were going to be there or that he planned to kill anyone that day.

You could describe me as walking with a purpose with my head down pretty much all the time. It's not that I never look up, but when walking trails, I'm watching my footing and trying to walk at a steady pace without tripping and falling.

I do think RA is BG and the killer of the girls, I just don't think this was some highly orchestrated event that took any planning at all.

Just my opinion.

I don't think he was heavily disguised, we've heard no confirmation of what he was wearing. In the video his face does not appeared to be covered. I don't think he was overly dressed for a 40 degree day, despite the way the girls were dressed.
We do know what RA admitted to be wearing.
  • Clothing that belongs to Allen was seized by investigators, including jackets, boots, knives and firearms. Allen told detectives he was on the bridge wearing a blue jacket and other clothing that matched the clothing worn by the killer in images captured on the phone of one of the victims.

Here's a good question for RA (largely irrelevant since he's confessed, but ...):

If you were on the bridge, watching fish and your phone screen, and the girls were on trajectory to cross your path, how did you 1) not see them and 2) not wind up in their bridge photo?

Where'dja go? And why'dja hop back on?

Justice seems so unnecessarily delayed here ... but I sometimes wonder if an immediate arrest might've resulted in an acquittal whereas the painful passage of time will ultimately prove advantageous in that conviction us all but a certainty and, alongside the onvestigation, CSAM has been exposed, linked or otherwise.

To date, we only know the contents of the PC AW and assorted search warrants which is, of course, a lot but it's not everything. BARD, yet to come.

j m o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member