IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #167

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carter explained his agency learned a lot in the last nearly 2,100 days of investigating the Delphi murders. Without the help of the FBI, an arrest may have never happened.

“We didn't have the ability to take this much information as an agency. We relied heavily on the FBI,” Carter said. “And they were just simply magnificent early on, by bringing the Orion system in and allowing us in partnering with us and showing us how to collect and keep so much information. And it made us better. So, there are a lot of lessons. Because as all of us in our lifetime, we look back and think dang it, I missed it there. But one thing I'm sure we didn't do anything we knew is wrong. But we all wish we had some do-overs for sure.”

Maybe, but they almost certainly only interacted with one single person who said they were on the bridge that day and looked compatible with the man in the video. Seems like that particular interaction should have stood out with big flashing lights around it.
IIRC, RA told the CO he walked the trail to the bridge, not that he was on the bridge. That came when LE interviewed him later.

So the CO didn't know what he wore or that he was on the bridge itself.

I don't know how accurate it was, but wasn't it said somewhere after the PCA's release that RA's interview could have been considered "unfounded"?

Maybe, but they almost certainly only interacted with one single person who said they were on the bridge that day and looked compatible with the man in the video. Seems like that particular interaction should have stood out with big flashing lights around it.

Yes I am amazed anybody who looks at the big picture is not shocked at the level of incompetence on display.

He literally handed himself to LE on a plate within days of the murder.

God knows what evidence was lost over the years because of this mistake and it could yet still cost them the trial as this is just one blunder we know about at the moment. I get the impression we will see a lot more doubt cast on the investigation if we get a trial.

The pain and anguish this has also caused the family over the years. There needs to be accountability for such a screw up!

MOOOOOO

Last edited:
There are photos and that video of RA ( sitting in a car, wife sneaks up) that show him clean shaven and bald. He looks quite a bit different when he takes those measures.

Does anyone know when the car video happened?

Because I am wondering if he showed up looking that way to make the report.

Maybe the CO just figured he didn't fit the description?

JMO

The idea of a clerical error as the root cause of RA not being investigated earlier is so atrocious.

I think we have all heard story after story about clerical errors in prison, for instance, which sometimes mistakenly allow a prisoner to go free too early. Sometimes instead, clerical errors by prison staff keep people incarcerated after they have served their time.

The link above is about clerical errors in the court system.

Obviously the transposition of RA’s name and address was a foundational error in this case.

I cannot understand why this would still be happening in the 21st century.

I agree that the CO could’ve been overwhelmed by many tips and human error led to what has happened, but in today’s world there has to be a better way.

JMO

The idea of a clerical error as the root cause of RA not being investigated earlier is so atrocious.

I think we have all heard story after story about clerical errors in prison, for instance, which sometimes mistakenly allow a prisoner to go free too early. Sometimes instead, clerical errors by prison staff keep people incarcerated after they have served their time.

Obviously the transposition of RA’s name and address was a foundational error in this case.

I agree that the CO could’ve been overwhelmed by many tips and human error led to what has happened, but in today’s world there has to be a better way.

JMO
I think it was self reported in a way that was destined for failure. Not taking proper channels, meeting outside a grocery store, possibly not recorded. I also think it's interesting that the report was filed under nickname "Rick" instead of legal first name. ( per defense memorandum). IMO the report occurred when the girls were initially missing. They say every liar tells a little bit of truth and I think RA was doing just that. He says he was there, and saw teenage girls, just not the ones missing.

I don’t know but if at the time the CO spoke to RA everyone involved was frantically seeking leads as to where the girls might‘ve gone, I can understand why no one was on the lookout for a killer. Since RA claimed to not see them, all his other details he mentioned might’ve seemed insignificant at the time. Recalling details of the interview might be more likely if the CO knew RA personally, but we don’t know that.

I don’t think the CO deliberately didn’t remember nor was negligent. I also don’t believe the onus should be put on him for not following up information which he turned over, that’s a little unfair IMO. We all heard countless times LE/Task Force’s strong commitment to solving this case and leaving no stone unturned.

If I were to place any blame I would be on who input RA Whiteman’s tip into the system and why accuracy of information wasn’t double checked. That’s where the breakdown occurred, assuming RA provided his legal name to the CO at the onset. JMO

There are photos and that video of RA ( sitting in a car, wife sneaks up) that show him clean shaven and bald. He looks quite a bit different when he takes those measures.

Does anyone know when the car video happened?

Because I am wondering if he showed up looking that way to make the report.

Maybe the CO just figured he didn't fit the description?

JMO
I believe image was released approx 5pm on Wed 5/15/2017.

Does anyone know how many feet from Deer Creek the bodies were left? I’m trying to figure out if they were left close enough that he was able to kill Abby in the creek, which would explain why she didn’t have any blood on her and the lack of blood at the scene, and then drag her to her final place.

Does anyone know how many feet from Deer Creek the bodies were left? I’m trying to figure out if they were left close enough that he was able to kill Abby in the creek, which would explain why she didn’t have any blood on her and the lack of blood at the scene, and then drag her to her final place.

“The bodies of both girls were found shortly after noontime on Feb. 14, in a wooded area about 50 feet from Deer Creek and a half mile east of the bridge.“

The crime scene tape is shown in this media report, very near the creek.

MOO her blood just ran out in a different direction.

LE surely made a big effort to talk with anyone at the park that day. Even if the name was entered incorrectly he was there and they should have made every effort to find him. It seems to me it would be of utmost importance to identify everyone and especially males that were there that day. IMHO they could have tracked him down. Delphi is a small town. How many Ricks could be living there? I see no excuses for not following up on this person. JMHO

JMO
So agree, but if it was human clerical error, it happens. We're only human, and can you imagine how horrible this man feels if indeed that way the reason it was overlooked?

MOO

LE surely made a big effort to talk with anyone at the park that day. Even if the name was entered incorrectly he was there and they should have made every effort to find him. It seems to me it would be of utmost importance to identify everyone and especially males that were there that day. IMHO they could have tracked him down. Delphi is a small town. How many Ricks could be living there? I see no excuses for not following up on this person. JMHO
They didn’t know BG’s name was Rick. So they wouldn’t have been looking back through tips for a person named Rick.

So agree, but if it was human clerical error, it happens. We're only human, and can you imagine how horrible this man feels if indeed that way the reason it was overlooked?

MOO
That one has been flogged to death in any case.
Stuff happens.
No blame.

They did a brilliant job.
and nothing changes that no matter how many faeries and leprechauns are tossed in the air at this stage..

The sooner he fries, the better.

Families need catharsis, a community needs to grieve.

Richard's just gonna 'act-weird' for the duration..
his lawyers, even more so.

Hmmmm...interesting...

As Judge Gull weighs the arguments made by all sides, 13 Investigates has learned that court administrative staff have already scouted potential media locations and camera angles inside the courtroom, with an additional site visit planned next month.

Hmmmm...interesting...

As Judge Gull weighs the arguments made by all sides, 13 Investigates has learned that court administrative staff have already scouted potential media locations and camera angles inside the courtroom, with an additional site visit planned next month.

geoblocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member