Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #124

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice synopsis, @cujenn81

The only note I would make in your timeline is the male friend on Facebook that Abby's mom did not know about was a young boy (age appropriate to Abby). Maybe it's this episode or maybe a later one that AW talks about how this young boy came to Abby's funeral accompanied by his dad. Just wanted to clarify as it sounds ominous to have a previously unknown male friend on a forbidden Facebook without the context.

Derrick sees an older man in a flannel shirt coming from the High Bridge Trail and asks if he’s seen the girls that way. The man says he's only seen a man and woman down under the bridge.

Thanks for the post. It's a good one!

I've always wondered who this man and woman were, UNDER the bridge.

Maybe y'all can refresh my memory.

Were they on that driveway?
Have they ever been identified?
Were they interviewed by LE?
Are these the people, I think I recall, said to have been 'arguing' under the bridge?
Could they have been involved?

Thanks for the post. It's a good one!

I've always wondered who this man and woman were, UNDER the bridge.

Maybe y'all can refresh my memory.

Were they on that driveway?
Have they ever been identified?
Were they interviewed by LE?
Are these the people, I think I recall, said to have been 'arguing' under the bridge?
Could they have been involved?
No, they were not involved and yes, they have been interviewed by LE. I also heard that they weren't really under the bridge but I could be mistaken. I think they had passed by BG at some point and that the male gave a description of BG, although the female didn't really notice him.

Great post.

Some things get a little flaky in translation, I see a few things like that in the timeline, but it's a solid timeline.

I have a problem with some of what's been shared from the next day's search(es):

No time has ever been cited for when the reporter saw clothing in the water, and it's from a social media post he made. 75 yards from the bridge is a great distance from the CS, and the clothing was seen on the south side of the creek near to the bridge. So my guess would be someone saw it from the bridge, what was done with it after that is anyone's guess.

The reporter is a "he", not a "she", far as I know.

There's been no indication the clothing there had anything to do with the murders the day before. That and where they crossed the creek was around a bend in it east of the bridge, roughly 800-900 feet from the clothing in the creek.

JMO

This is the type of post is the reason I come here. EXCELLENT ACCOUNT! Now I see what happened especially how some of the evidence was found. I will only assume that it is mostly accurate.

Appreciate immensely you posting this! thanks!

Tricia will be on WS youtube tonight briefly at 10:00 pm but then at midnight Mountain time, she plans to do a 24 hour marathon "end of the world" youtube in (dis)honour of Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell. There will also be discussion of many missing people cases that perhaps don't get as much coverage as others ... whatever she and you folks can fit into those 24 hours.

You must be okay with Tricia perhaps nodding off, her couch at times empty with Scrappy Joe, Boo and Babe holding down the show between interludes, but all in all, Tricia will be there or thereabouts, listening to you folks and swapping tales with you ... for a whole 24 hours !! How exciting is that?

giphy.gif

Click here for Tricia's Websleuths Youtube Channel

My notes from Scene of the Crime - Delphi: Unthinkable.

February 14, 2017

By 1:00 pm, the search and rescue operation for Libby and Abby had become an evidence recovery operation. Crime scene tape went up at the end of the Monon High Bridge. It roped down the left hand side of the hill (at the bridge’s southeast end), as well as a large surrounding area.

Superintendent Doug Carter said the investigation began immediately. When he arrived on scene two hours after the girls were found, the crime scene had already been completely sealed. LE and other emergency vehicles were parked along County Road 300 North and the Morning Heights Cemetery, which sits between that road and the wooded area to the north of Deer Creek. The FBI also arrived within hours of the bodies being found, and Kelsi was questioned by an FBI agent that first day. A special FBI recovery team worked 24-hours every day for the next few days to collect evidence. Indiana Crime Scene techs also worked the scene, and divers were brought in to explore Deer Creek.

Former Carroll County prosecutor, Robert Ives, visited the scene in anticipation of a future criminal prosecution.

Robert Ives: “There is a lot of crime scene evidence, and some of it is somewhat odd. But when I say that, any murder scene tends to have odd facts about it. I mean… in real life, obviously, people don’t kill people really all that often, and this crime scene… there’s a lot of evidence. There’s a lot of unique facts there. And, honestly, I’m shocked. And, I promise you, the police are shocked. That it wasn’t solved in a day or two. This crime scene was physically strange, but that’s for the state police to determine… to decide… what to release and what not to release. I’ve said that before, it’s very odd.”

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 @ 1:50 pm
A joint press conference is held with Kim Riley (Indiana State Police Public Information Officer), Tobe Leazenby (Carroll County Sheriff), and Steve Mullins (Delphi Police Chief)

LE confirms that two bodies had been found but release limited information otherwise. They didn’t ID the two bodies at the time but confirmed that search efforts for the girls had been scaled back. The bodies were located about a half-mile upstream, east from the MHB area. The area was not specified, exactly, but LE said it was about 50 feet away from the edge of Deer Creek.

Sgt. Kim Riley: “We have found two bodies Uh, is that the Sugar Creek? Deer Creek. Deer Creek, sorry. In Deer Creek, about a mile east of town. Um, we are investigating this as a crime scene. Uh, we suspect foul play.”

When a reporter asked why foul play was suspected, Riley says, Just by the way the bodies were found. That’s about all I can say at this point and time.”

A vigil was held at a church that evening, and more than 700 community members attended.

Mike Patty and others continued to conduct organized grid searches over the next few days, by walking the miles around the area and looking for any clues that could tell them what happened.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 @ 12 pm
A press conference was held by Sgt. Kim Riley and Sheriff Tobe Leazenby confirming that the two bodies found were Libby and Abby.

Sgt. Riley: “Yesterday I made a remark that they were near the water. It was about 50 feet off the shoreline. So, I was off on that. I hadn’t been to the scene yet. I was going with information I’d received. So, they were about… I, I was looking from a distance, but I’m going to say it was between 50-60 feet off the shoreline. This is considered a double homicide investigation. The toxicology reports are yet to come, and that takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks. Uh, the initial, I believe the initial autopsies for the girls are done or just about completed.”

Neither official would comment on the condition of the bodies or the cause of death due to the ongoing investigation. Superintendent Doug Carter responded by saying, “Only the murderer would know.”

Sheriff Leazenby said he didn’t believe there was any threat to the public, but then he somewhat contradicted that by saying the public should remain alert and vigilant.

Sgt. Riley: “We have nobody in custody at this time. Uh, so as far as I’m concerned, yes there is somebody out there that did this horrendous crime. And, we’re going to track them down.”

Sgt. Riley (in another brief solo public appearance later that day): “Again, I’m not going to say one way or the other. People just have to realize that this has occurred. Uh, and be mindful and just watch what’s going on in the world around you. I think people need to be cautious and careful. Uh, parents need to make sure they know where their children are at, what their children are doing. And, if nothing else, know what’s going on in their lives. That’s the most important thing I can say at this point and time.”

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 @ 6:50 pm
Indiana State Police released two nearly identical photos of a man they believed was on the High Bridge trail around the same time as Abby and Libby. They wanted to speak to this person, and asked the public to please contact them if the man was recognized by anyone. They also asked to speak to anyone who was parked at the High Bridge trailhead between 1:00 and 5:00 pm on the 13th. LE didn't yet call the man a suspect and made no disclosure as to the origin of the photos.

LE confirmed they’d received various tips. One of the tips led to a search warrant executed by the state police on the night of February 16th, at a family farm on Bicycle Bridge Road – about 5 miles from the Monon High Bridge. Despite spending two hours at the property and removing various items, no arrests resulted from the search. LE also conducted two searches of the land, home, and vehicle belonging to the man owning the property where Libby and Abby were found.

Thursday, February 16, 2017
LE announced a tip line that had been set up. The Department of Homeland Security provided satellite dishes and other equipment to support the thousands of calls that would come into the line over the next coming days and weeks.

Anna (Abby's mom) tells a story that occurred about a year or so before the girls were killed. She said it wasn’t a big deal at the time but later recalled it, in hindsight, now that a killer seemed to be in their midst.

Anna: “I had one incident at a store. What I remember is making eye contact with somebody when we walked in. And they were sitting in their vehicle, uh, when we left. And, it happened to be that his side was closest to Abby’s. Then she got in the car and he and I spoke for a few seconds. And it was awkward because he said, ‘You look like you know who I am’. And, I was like ‘well, I’ve worked in restaurants and nursing homes here. I know a lot of people by sight but not by name. I apologize.’ And, that was all the conversation was. But, I do recall… I have to say that man kind of made me feel creepy. So, I said, ‘Honey, anytime you come across that, you be sure to pay attention. If you were driving or you were leaving a store, you go back inside the store and you ask somebody to walk you out to your car. You pay attention to that. And, that was probably a year or so before we lost them.”

The man Derrick saw in the flannel shirt out on the trails the day the girls went missing was the President of the Delphi Historic Trails, Dan McCain. He was instrumental in developing the trail system.

Sunday, February 19, 2017
LE announced that the man in the photos was the prime suspect in the murders, but the photographer was still not made known to the public at this time.

As stated on the FBI’s website, the photo appears to depict :
  • a white male wearing blue jeans, a blue coat or jacket, and a hoodie
  • a man walking on the Monon High Bridge; the tree distantly visible behind him in the photos places him on the bridge – walking from the metal barricaded northwestern end toward the southeastern dead end, somewhere around 60 feet away from the end of the bridge
  • the man is looking down and his hands are not visible; they appear to be in his pockets
  • his left hand appears to be in the left pocket of his jeans and his right hand appears to be higher up, possibly in the right pocket of his jacket
  • his jeans are baggy and faded
  • the navy zip-up jacket over his hoodie, appears to be of a light weight canvas material
  • a brown expanse also appears to be around his waist (it could just be the bottom of his hoodie, which seems brown in color, but some believe he is wearing a fanny pack, tool belt, or deer kit)
  • there is also strenuous debate about whether the man is wearing a hat, has his hood up, both or neither
  • non-descript bulky, black shoes or boots complete his wardrobe
LE has not addressed what leads them to believe this man is their suspect.

February 22, 2017
A major joint press conference was held by the Indiana State Police, the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office, the Delphi PD, and the FBI. LE emphasized that the tools being used in this investigation were unprecedented. Indiana State Police Sgt. Tony Slocum reiterated that the man in the photo is the suspect in the killings of Abby and Libby. A visibly upset Doug Carter of the Indiana State Police then spoke.

Doug Carter:

“Why Libby?
Why Abby?
Why Delphi?
Why Carroll County?
Why the region?
Why the state?
Why, even, the nation?"

"I say that because this is a classic example, and a clear example, that evil lives amongst us.”

“The poster in front of you – someone knows who this individual is. Someone knows who this individual is.”

“Is it a family member?
Is it a neighbor?
Is it an acquaintance?
Is it an associate?
Or maybe that one guy that lives over at that one place that’s just kinda not right.”

“Maybe it’s his jeans.
Maybe it’s his jacket or his sweatshirt.
Maybe it’s his shirttail.
Maybe it’s his posture.
Maybe it’s the right hand in his pocket.”

“You see, even with technology, we need human intelligence. In other words, we need you. I’m not suggesting that science – that everything we can do with science has been done – because we are just getting started.”

“Please do not rationalize tips away. Rationalize what you think might not be important away… by thinking he would never do that to another human being. Or think what I know doesn’t matter. Let folks like the people standing behind me, with such incredible passion, and commitment, and dedication to this profession make that determination.”

“Tips are anonymous.
Some might not want to talk about it because they don’t want to get involved.
Because they know the individual.
Again, he may be a family member… probably has family.
No one will ever know.
No one will ever know."

"There’s not an agency on the planet better at helping us to facilitate this than the FBI, and they’re just as entrenched in this as anybody.
No one will know.”

“As poor as this picture is, somebody knows.
And if you’re watching, we’ll find you.”

Greg Massa (Assistant Special Agent w/ the FBI) emphasized the FBI’s commitment to the case. He said an FBI agent in Indianapolis had been present during the initial searches for the girls, and that since they were found, the FBI had been standing shoulder-to-shoulder with local LE. While the chief investigators in this case would remain the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office, assisted by the Indiana State Police, agent Massa said 20 FBI agents were in Delphi assisting on the case on any given day. Even FBI Director, James Comey, had been briefed twice on the developments in the case. He then provided a very general profile of the behavior likely exhibited by the suspect after the killings, which will be discussed in greater detail in another episode.

Cpt. Dave Burston (Chief Public Information Officer for the ISP) then dropped a bombshell:

Libby’s cellphone had provided authorities with usable data – audio from the video found on the cellphone that Libby had on her that day. That audio file captured the voice of the man who killed her and Abby. He then confirmed that the image previously released was not a photo – but a video still – extracted from the video footage found on Libby’s phone.

Cpt. Burston: “We do have some new information for you today. Uh, it’s in the form of an audio file. Uh, from the cell phone that Liberty German had with her at the time. We’re not going to play everything that we have. Uh, but Liberty had the presence of mind, uh, to turn on her video camera. We are going to share this audio clip with you momentarily with the hope that someone will recognize this voice. And, I want to be very clear that what you’re about to hear is just four short words. Excuse me, three words – down the hill.”

Sgt. Tony Slocum later clarified that investigators decided to release the audio clip because they believe his voice is distinctive enough that someone will recognize it. Sgt. Slocum said that what he hears is exasperation. “It sounds like he’s a little exasperated, like he told them before to do it.”

After Cpt. Burston finished his remarks, Sgt. Slocum announced that a reward fund had been established for information leading to the arrest of the killer, or killers, of Libby and Abby. At the time of the press conference, the reward already amounted to $41,000. The money had been donated by local businesses and the FBI. When the press conference concluded, officials responded to a few questions from reporters and revealed additional information about the case.

Cpt. Burston said that as far as the suspect goes, nothing was considered off the table with regard to whether he was local or not. Or, whether this was a crime of opportunity perpetrated by a stranger. Or, if this was someone who knew the girls were going to be there that day. He couldn’t confirm that the audio from the video belonged to the man in the photos. And, he said LE had not ruled out the possibility that more than one killer was involved.

Anna (Abby’s mom) was too angry and upset to attend the press conference. She said that she was so afraid she might recognize the voice on the audio, so she waited until her boyfriend got home from work to listen to it. When she didn’t recognize the voice, she was equally afraid to know that she didn’t know who this person was at all.

I just learned today that Snap Chat has a map that pins your exact location if your location is on. I had no idea of this. I don't know how it works with followers and privacy settings, but it's very precise. Is there any chance this Snap Map feature was around 3 yrs ago?

I just learned today that Snap Chat has a map that pins your exact location if your location is on. I had no idea of this. I don't know how it works with followers and privacy settings, but it's very precise. Is there any chance this Snap Map feature was around 3 yrs ago?
I think it was released that year but after the crime happened.

I think it was released that year but after the crime happened.

Maybe it didn't matter because they did post the bridge picture and that gives away the location without needing a map. I was thinking maybe he saw they were on the trails and got the idea from the Snap Map even before the picture. What a creepy feature.

What mistakes do you think BG could have made that will inevitably lead to his arrest at some point? Before there was DNA intuitive Detectives were able to solve murders. I have confidence that this case will be solved with or without DNA just like Homicide Investigators from the past brought murderers to justice.

If I am right: He attributed at least one statement allegedly made to him by DC (a statement that was probably never made by DC) when relating the story of that conversation to others. He did this to justify an action he had taken.

An amateurish error, imho.....prolly his pathological narcissism coming thru....same as we see elsewhere every day of our lives these days. And, imo, this is where the "we may have already interviewed you" comes from.
PS: Is that you?

Last edited:
Since this case is almost 3 1/2 years old, do you think police have an idea who killed Abigail Williams and Liberty German or do you think they have no idea? This is a question based on either scenario #1 or scenario #2. Which do you think, 1 or 2?

1. At the April 2019 press conference police showed a sketch and remarked "this is the person responsible" for the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German. Whether or not you think police know who murdered Abigail Williams and Liberty German, do you think they have a relative idea of who murdered them? Will the sketch released be at least somewhat close(in age, relative appearance) if police actually find the man? So by having an idea, what that means is police believe the eyewitness account that the sketch is based off of will lead to an arrest even if the person does not look the exact same. And you would also expect that at the bare minimum the age of the suspect at the time of the crime will be under 40 years old. I think we can assume the second sketch is someone pictured who is under the age of 40.

2. Police have no idea who murdered Abigail Williams and Liberty German. In an attempt to try and solve the case, the first sketch released in July 2017 and the second sketch released in April 2019, are people police would like to find in order to try and clear them like the rest of the people who were seen out on the Monon High Bridge trail that day. They have no idea whether either person from either sketch was actually responsible for the crime and do not even know if they are looking for the correct person. If the man from the second sketch is found, police are just guessing that maybe there might be evidence (voice, DNA) that might link him to the crime. Finding him could also provide a different outcome, that evidence tends to exclude him from the crime and police are then back at square one. Basically after 3 1/2 years police are chasing a phantom because no one knows what the bridge guy looks like, except for the blurry image recorded on Liberty German's phone.

I choose #2. I think after all this time police are looking to try and find the right tip or are waiting for the right tip to come in because they have no idea what the bridge guy looks like. He could be thousands of miles away too. Until all the tips have been exhausted it is hard to say this is a cold case by definition. However, this is a case that is definitely at a standstill. I think it is a cold case because there is nothing left to do but wait.

Since this case is almost 3 1/2 years old, do you think police have an idea who killed Abigail Williams and Liberty German or do you think they have no idea? This is a question based on either scenario #1 or scenario #2. Which do you think, 1 or 2?

1. At the April 2019 press conference police showed a sketch and remarked "this is the person responsible" for the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German. Whether or not you think police know who murdered Abigail Williams and Liberty German, do you think they have a relative idea of who murdered them? Will the sketch released be at least somewhat close(in age, relative appearance) if police actually find the man? So by having an idea, what that means is police believe the eyewitness account that the sketch is based off of will lead to an arrest even if the person does not look the exact same. And you would also expect that at the bare minimum the age of the suspect at the time of the crime will be under 40 years old. I think we can assume the second sketch is someone pictured who is under the age of 40.

2. Police have no idea who murdered Abigail Williams and Liberty German. In an attempt to try and solve the case, the first sketch released in July 2017 and the second sketch released in April 2019, are people police would like to find in order to try and clear them like the rest of the people who were seen out on the Monon High Bridge trail that day. They have no idea whether either person from either sketch was actually responsible for the crime and do not even know if they are looking for the correct person. If the man from the second sketch is found, police are just guessing that maybe there might be evidence (voice, DNA) that might link him to the crime. Finding him could also provide a different outcome, that evidence tends to exclude him from the crime and police are then back at square one. Basically after 3 1/2 years police are chasing a phantom because no one knows what the bridge guy looks like, except for the blurry image recorded on Liberty German's phone.

I choose #2. I think after all this time police are looking to try and find the right tip or are waiting for the right tip to come in because they have no idea what the bridge guy looks like. He could be thousands of miles away too. Until all the tips have been exhausted it is hard to say this is a cold case by definition. However, this is a case that is definitely at a standstill. I think it is a cold case because there is nothing left to do but wait.

I go with the first sketch released which was apparently the 2nd sketch. It matched a perp that they can't connect with full surety. Most likely same COD. CO notified IA about it but they can't present enough evidence to convict this suspect. Why, I'm not sure only other than evidence was mishandled, over tested, too little and not enough to present to a grand jury. Plus possibly that darn alibi. JMO

I would choose 2 with some modifications. I think the 2017 sketch was a compilation from witnesses who thought they saw the killer. LE believed, at least at that time, it was a fair sketch of who they were looking for. I question now whether anybody actually saw the guy. As far as the 2019 sketch, at the time I thought LE had realized they had made a huge mistake and backtracked to a much earlier sketch. Now, a year later, I don’t know what that was all about. I kinda think now it might have just been a staged drama trying to rattle the cage of the killer, but I do not think they know who the killer is. Your last sentence pretty much sums it up for me too. Hope we’re both wrong.

I think #2 is the more likely scenario. I don’t believe LE knows who the guy is... BUT, they might think they do.

I think several different descriptions of possible suspects were given to LE, and they likely omitted those that described persons already known to have on the trails that day. There were probably only one or two descriptions unaccounted for at that point, and I think they released a sketch of the one that looked most like the guy from the video on Libby’s phone. Then, I think LE released the other sketch last April as a Hail Mary and hoped it might flush something out. At the very least, they knew that announcing a new investigative angle would generate more leads and get people talking about the case again. Unfortunately, I don’t think the press conference led to any new information of value or brought LE any closer to an arrest.

A little bit of both. I think that they got some tips about the car spotted in the town that day with a younger man sitting at the driver´s seat. No surveillance video, because I guess that they would release a video or photo of the car if they had one, just sightings.

I guess that they have some evidence for him being local. Maybe something that ties him to having spent a good amount of time at the crime scene before the crime happened. That day or even the days/weeks/months/years prior to the murders. Maybe he left some garbage there from eating, drinking, smoking. He maybe has defecated there. Or disturbed ground, somewhat of a little path that leads to the area, or kind of a “camping ground” - not necessarily overnight stays, but a place where he was sitting while he was fantasizing about what he was going to do.
I also guess that there could have been sightings of a man around the area after the crime had happend, resembling the second sketch. Maybe he revisited the scene.

But I don´t think that they know his name, where he lives, what he exactly looks like and so on. I believe that they could tie him to the crime if they would have that kind of information. Well … I really want to believe that, obviously.

I am relatively new to this case. I read a lot about it so far, but not all I want to read to get a better understanding of what had happened. So surely my opinion could change as far as I dig deeper into it.

Convinced of it. 99,5 %. ;)

Unfortunately I have to agree also with scenario #2, and at this late date I also now believe that the case has grown cold.

I'm closer to your #2 scenario but with some differences. I feel like LE did not know exactly who this subject is (though they may have had a short list in mind) as of the April 2019 press conference. As of today, they may now know much more that they have not yet said.

I feel like your scenarios both trend toward the assumption that the sketch/video is really the bulk of their evidence and I don't know that that is the case.

If they are pretty sure they know who BG is and they are relying on skilled interrogation for him to implicate himself (which could be what's going on if DNA is partial/problematic) then this process could seriously take a LONG time.

We've been assuming that the tip they need is an identification. That might not be so. Maybe they already know the who but the tip they need is someone placing him in Delphi on that particular day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carmenbellaxx