Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #124

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly, just supposedly, they planned to submit it to Parabon for genetic genealogy?

MOO. But Paul Holes was also consulted. And we know what is his interest.

It looks like in the beginning of 2019 they definitely planned to do something. And this is when Ives came back. Instead, there was 2019 April PC, and then, nothing.
It seems Sheriff Leazenby may have touched on it in this article, I know it's RadarOnline but it's the quoting about "DNA testing research" and the GG killer sparking interest in it.
“We are very much looking into that as a way to move this case forward,” he explained. “We are doing DNA testing research. With 23 and Me and the other places that do it, that is something that has been discussed."

Cops Send Evidence To FBI In Indiana Teens Abigail Williams & Liberty German’s Murder

Was he just talking about CE's blood testing? Was he someone the Sheriff thought was the killer?

When that turned up not to be the case, did whatever results they did get and subsequent interviews lead them to realize they were on the wrong track? If anyone looked like that first BG sketch it was CE....AJMO

It seems Sheriff Leazenby may have touched on it in this article, I know it's RadarOnline but it's the quoting about "DNA testing research" and the GG killer sparking interest in it.
“We are very much looking into that as a way to move this case forward,” he explained. “We are doing DNA testing research. With 23 and Me and the other places that do it, that is something that has been discussed."

Cops Send Evidence To FBI In Indiana Teens Abigail Williams & Liberty German’s Murder

Was he just talking about CE's blood testing? Was he someone the Sheriff thought was the killer?

When that turned up not to be the case, did whatever results they did get and subsequent interviews lead them to realize they were on the wrong track? If anyone looked like that first BG sketch it was CE....AJMO
DBM

Last edited:
Now that I see that we don't have the August 2017 video of 1st Sgt Holeman, here are parts 1 and 2, courtesy of Spellbound. Some of this like Sketch #1 has changed, but some of it like a very brief comparison to the Evansdale murders is still interesting:
PART 1
A: so tell me, obviously you guys see this posted all over online, people want to know , you have all this evidence in this case and still six months later no suspect in custody. What would your answer be to the community?

H: Well, it's not like on TV, you know you see on CSI shows that they solve them in two commercial breaks. So it takes a lot of time, and we want to be very thorough, so we want to take our time, make sure our i's are dotted, t's are crossed. This is a tough case. This is a tough case. There's, I think, alleged a lot of evidence, but really we have very little evidence in this case, so we're working with what we have. We're getting a ton of tips, which helps. But some of those tips are misleading and kind of lead us disarray and get us unfocused from where we're headed. So, but I think, it's not from lack of effort. We continue to use all the detectives from State, Federal, and Local agencies and we use all the resources that are available, and we are going to continue to do that. We're not gonna leave, we're, it's not a Cold Case, because we're still getting infomation. So we are gonna continue to work as hard as we can on this.

A: To have .... you say "little evidence", which you know we are not all .... I'm not a detective, I don't want to put the police ... but when you hear umm yeah the guy's voice, that sketch, you've got, you know, possible other audio and video and all these other tips and maybe then the reward money, is that more than people usually have in a case like this?

H: yeah, I think so. I think we, I said we don't have a lot, but we have more than, uhh, more than enough to make a case; but we're just not getting that break yet, you now. We're still getting closer every day; we're eliminating; we're getting a lot of on people that didn't do it and we eliminate those daily. So like I said before, it's the needle in the haystack and we get those tips on so-and-so and we eliminate them by however we do that, and that just takes some other pieces out of the hay so we can focus, and then eventually we're gonna, it's gonna be there. Umm, so we keep working but/and I think uh of people are misled by some of the FB postings, and social media is not as helpful as some people might think so ...

A: So six months ago you got the phone call, I know you talked about this before, who called you and said first Abby Williams and, you know, Libby German were missing?

H: [2:27] umm, I think I got the.... I heard it on the radio actually, and then I called the Sheriff to see if they needed assistance, and he said 'yeah, we probably are gonna need some help.' That was when they were missing; and then, of course, we got our helicopter involved and we were still on the search phase. And then, obviously, when we located them and knew it was a double homicide then we called in other resources throughout-- the State Police and then the FBI, and I know we have had just a ton of resources and people volunteering to help. Which is good. So that's how that started, you know, now we are here. We're still working, we're still motivated and a lot of people .... it is stressful. It's a very stressful case, obviously, and it's very easy to get emotionally tied, but I think everybody involved is still doing well. We're still motivated, we're still optimistic that we are gonna catch this person that's responsible for this, and we're not letting up or giving in or anything like that. We're stronger than ever. We're actually getting more people involved. So, I think, you know, the time is coming, we're getting closer everyday. I know that's cliche', but we are. We're eliminating people and we're working harder than ever.

A: And within the first 48 hours in the case, so here you are, you hear it on the radio, you step in which, thank God that you guys stepped in so quickly, because look how it ended up happening; whwen it first comes out two missing girls, you think two missing girls in a small town, who would have thought this was ever gonna be the case, but ... What was the investigative work that happened in the first 48 hours, without obviously going into too much detail to put the case in jeopardy?

H: Well, I think you secure the scene, you start doing whatever you can; talk to everybody in the area, we have the crime scene investigators there. Just basically the steps that you would do. Collecting videos throughout the areas, doing things like that. Just, you know, from Ground Zero. That's what you would do in any case, you know.... start talking to people, and get out knocking on doors. We call that an area canvass, so because it's a rural area we had to kind of stretch that out a little bit, and so we did maybe a general area canvass initially and maybe a day or two later we spread that out, come back, make sure. 'Cuz it was February so there was still people on vacation or winter "snowbirds" they call them, and so there were still some houses that we didn't make contact right away, so... But we have now, I mean we continue to do that and now six months later we're still getting new tips on people, so we're following up on those. But also, we have a group of detectives who are assigned to go back to make sure we didn't miss anything, so we re-review things and so we're taking it very serious and we're not gonna let anything slip through the cracks. That's your biggest fear, I think, when you're doing an investigation is something might slip through the cracks and we're not gonna let that happen. We have a team of people that keep going back, reviewing and we're getting there. We're working on it harder than ever and we're gonna continue to work hard.

[stopping at 5.32 for now]
[my fingers are totally numb, which means I constantly hit the wrong keys, so I have to take a break. Will continue as soon as I can]
=============================
PART 2:
A: [5.34] When the people come forward that mentioned, you know, because that sketch behind you is pretty detailed, like we said, and the guy that did it is obviously unbelievably talented because he maybe didn't have a bunch of information but it's unbelievable what they could come up with, right, and make it into this composite sketch that could end up helping crack the case. But, when did those people come forward that said that they saw him possibly near the trail?

H: Well, that's a good question. It's actually compiled, it's not just from one person, so we've had several people say that they saw the person that we identified through the video that we obtained off of Liberty's phone. And we put that out so once people saw that photo then they said "oh I saw that guy; I saw that guy." We have to determine 'is that the guy they saw' first of all, and if it is then let's work together. So, we were getting calls that night, and throughout the last couple months. Some people don't watch the news. Some people don't really follow what's going on . So some of them were sooner-than-later, um. But then we took our time with that. We took our time, we interviewed the composite drawing itself took probably 2/12 to 3 weeks, because we wanted to make sure ourselves that it was exactly right at the people had recalled that. So, um, we have been, I think, getting better tips. Obviously the first photo is pretty hard to see. It's pixelated pretty bad, and this is pretty detailed. We want to make sure that people know this might not look exactly like the person, but it's gonna have similar facial features. So, this is just what the person or persons that we've interviewed over the last several months believe this is what this guy looked like. There's four of us in this room right now. If somebody walked into this room for 30 seconds and left, we'd all have different drawings, but I think the facial features and the major identifiers we would all get right. So, that's what we're hoping, that this gives us a little more guidance, a little more not-as-vague. And it's helping. We are getting better tips. We're still getting some not-so-good tips, I would say. But we're getting a little better tips from this composite drawing.

A: [7.45]. is it a few people kind of , possibly that saw him, or there was more than a couple that called in, right?

H: Yeah. There's ... I would say that's a good statement, there's more than a few that said they saw him. Now, I guess we have to determine there was other people on that trail, or they actually seen that guy is responsible for this, or they seen somebody else that was just out there walking.

A: In time-frame-wise, how long do you think he was out there that day, and have you just kind of stopped by, tried to find if he was planning this, tried to find somebody that was walking off the trail and thought 'hey, this would be a good target", or was he just out there for a little bit?

H: I wish I could tell you that. I have theories, but we, you know, the evidence is pretty... like I said, the evidence doesn't really indicate how long or if he was a traveler or local, and some of that we just speculate on. We can't say he is or isn't. But we just have to go off that evidence that we have; the composite drawing, the video, the audio, and just continue to rely on the community. I still believe somebody knows, somebody knows what happened. For whatever reason, they won't come forward, and we wish they would, obviously.... because this person's probably gonna do this again and I'd hate for that to happen to you or your loved ones. That's the message that I want to get out to the public, that if you do know, for sure you need to let us know so we can possibly stop this from happening again to your daughter, or your mother, or sister, or anybody. Could be brother or father as well, so...
[numb finger break time]

A: [9.21] And personality traits in a person like this, and that's I think what people have thought about before and maybe him, if there was just one person, is this the guy that was able to get both of these little girls in the woods and do these, you know, brutally murder them, do you think he possibly has done this before?

H: Uh, he could be, you know, that's, again, just kind of our theory or speculation, we have no evidence that he's done it again. But we do keep that in mind. We do check with other states to see if they have anything close; and obviously the case in Iowa is the closest; but they don't even know the cause of death in that one because they didn't find the victims until later. So, it's hard to compare. But it is similar, but, so, we have taken that into consideration as well, and we have investigated that. We've been in contact with Iowa and they have been in contact with us, and we've discussed that, but nothing else seems to be popping up around the nation that is similar to this. But that doesn't mean he is gonna kill everybody the same way every time, so (shrugs), we don't know.

A: When you walked down and I walked through, that was private property right where the bodies were found. Looking at it logistically from where they were on the bridge and to where their bodies were found, I know we talked about the terrain in the past. I know it's not an easy thing to navigate. Usually you might have to be familiar with the area. I mean, would it have been difficult for the girls to from where they were on the bridge to where they were found?

H: [10:49] Yeah. Absolutely. I think it would be difficult, obviously. They have to go through some pretty steep terrain in a wooded area, sticker bushes and things like that, so it's uh ... and then to cross the creek. The creek, and obviously it's February, it's probably not the warmest . The weather was a warm day that day, but still the water temperature is probably cooler than the air temperature. So yeah, it would have been difficult for .... I mean, I don't think anybody, say on a walk, would walk that way.

A: Walking back that way, obviously I wasn't even there when you guys found all these horrible things at the crime scene. But even just walking through the area you get like a eerie feeling, almost feel sick to your stomach because you think about what Abby & Libby went through, and the families are going through, and the fact that he's still out there. You had to go to the crime scene, and like, I mean you covered, I'm sure, dozens of murder cases but this has probably been one of the hardest for you, having kids, as well. I mean, did you get a sick feeling as soon as you had to go there?

H: Oh yeah. I think everybody -- obviously when two young girls are brutally murdered and you are there to investigate it and see what you have to see and do what you have to do, you become emotionally tied to it and you think about your family and friends. But I think what keeps me going is I try ..... I've said this a million times.... you try to put yourself in these families' shoes and you just can't do it. I can't imagine what they are going through. So I try to put my emotions aside and focus on the evidence and focus on how can we bring justice for Abby & Libby, and for the families. I mean, is that gonna do it if we make an arrest? I think it will help; like anything can bring them back, obviously. I don't think anything can ever make things like they were before the 13th. It's never gonna happen. But we want to try and bring some closure to the families for the girls. And so, even though we are all trained professionals and we've done this many times, it's still hard, it's still hard to shut your brain off at night and go visit with your grandkids or visit with you family and not think about it constantly. So it's difficult, but you know, we are here for a reason. We're here to find out who did this, and that's what we have to keep telling ourselves and keep being re-motivated and motivated to do that. And that's what we're gonna do.

[13.13]
Thanks so much for transcribing this!!Your poor fingers!!!

Down the Hill: The Delphi Murders
Episode 1, Chapter 1: Walk on the Bridge

DTH is hosted by veteran journalists/producers Barbara MacDonald, Dan Szematowicz and Andrew Iden. The Scene Of the Crime podcast was more or less a reiteration of the facts, whereas DTH tells the story from the perspective of those closest to the victims.

The podcast speaks with following individuals in this episode:
Kelsi German - Libby’s sister
Doug Carter - Indiana State Police Superintendent
Becky Patty - Libby & Kelsi’s grandmother and legal guardian
Mike Patty - Libby & Kelsi’s grandfather and legal guardian
Anna Williams - Abby’s mother
Diane Erskine - Abby’s grandmother
Tobe Leazenby - Carroll County Sheriff
Darryl Sterrett - Delphi Fire Chief
Shane Evans - Mayor of Delphi
Erica Gibson - Friend of Abby and Libby
Cynthia Rossi - Friend of Abby and Libby
Todd Ladd (TL) - Pastor at Delphi United Methodist Church

Becky Patty:
“They [the girls] didn’t get up until probably close to 10:00 or so, and they wanted pancakes. So, Derrick made them pancakes for breakfast. And then, later on, Libby come out—she was bored. You know, what can we do? Kelsi came out and said that she was going to, um, her friend’s house and then she had to work.”

Kelsi German:
“And so, I went upstairs and I started getting ready in our bathroom. And I very much remember her opening the door really wide—with Abby behind her—as I’m getting dressed. And she’s like, ‘hey Kels, do you wanna go to High Bridge today?’ And I was like, ‘Lib, I’m obviously getting ready to leave, I can’t take you today.’ And a little while later, I was like, I have really been saying no to her a lot lately, so I went downstairs and I said, ‘hey, if you can find a ride and grandma says yes, I will take you.’ And she ended up asking grandma, and grandma said yes, and then she called my dad to pick her up. And, that’s when I agreed to take her.”

Becky Patty:
“And then she said her dad would pick her up, so I said okay. And, that’s when they were getting ready to leave and Abby was standing at the door. And, that’s when I told her that you—you need to take a jacket. It’s nice, but you know, who knows? You need to take a jacket. And, that’s when she looked at me and said, ‘it’s okay, grandma.’ Gave me that smile and off they went.”

Kelsi German:
“When we left, Libby was sitting up front and Abby was in the back. Neither of them had brought sweatshirts which was really confusing to me. So, I actually ran back inside and got Abby one of mine and Libby had one in my back seat, since she always rode with me. So, I made them take those. And then we turned Heathens by 21 Pilots up really loud. And, they were—had the windows down, and we were singing to it. And, it’s not a super far drive. And so, we got there pretty quick it felt like. And then, we stopped at the entrance to High Bridge, and I made sure they both had their sweatshirts that I told them to take. And, I told Libby I loved her and I watched them walk away.

Becky Patty:
“Kelsi and Libby would go out there a lot. They’ve got all kinds of pictures that they used to go out there and take. So, it wasn’t uncommon and we knew there had been some other kids out there. Because when she had asked, Kelsi had talked to her friend and she’d been—she was out there. As a matter of fact, I thought when they went that she was still there.”

Becky Patty:
“Derrick called, it was about 3:30. He said I’m here at the trailhead and Libby’s not answering her phone. He said I don’t know what’s going on, and that he was going to walk around. He said, ‘you call and see if she answers for you.’ So, I started calling and texting and nothing happened. So, Tara—I said ‘hey, you try’. So, we were taking turns trying, and texting, and calling. And there was no answer or anything, so by a little before 4:00, I said we probably need to go look for them. So, well, Tara said I’ll go on and I called Mike at work and said, ‘Libby—they’re out at the trails, and they’re—Libby’s not answering her phone. We’re gonna go and start looking for ‘em.’ And, he said well let me finish up here and I’ll be there. So, I thought, well, there’s two different ways— if they decided to walk home—that they could’ve come. So, we drove both different ways from there that they could’ve possibly walked. And, they weren’t there. So we got to the trailhead and I parked. There was, at that time, several cars there. And I had to park across the road, in kinda the ditch.”

Kelsi German:
“It was my grandma [calling] and she was freaking out. She couldn’t find Libby anywhere and she wasn’t answering her phone. It was really unlike Libby to do something like that, so I—I think in my mind, I thought ‘oh, she lost her phone or she must have fallen on the other side of the bridge’ because I know that they probably crossed it. Because I know Libby. I didn’t think that Abby would have, so that was a little, um, a little weird to me. But, I was sure that like there was a logical explanation, and it was just some fluke that happened.”

Anna Williams:
“I had seen missed calls, and that was like 5-5:30. It was kind of early in the evening. And she was like, ‘the girls were out on a walk’ and just a whole jarbbled things going on, ‘and we’re down at the sheriff’s department.’ And I’m like, ‘okay, I’m on my way’ and checked out the couple of customers I had. I remember feeling a slight bit like strange but not like overly panicked. I just told them the girls—‘Abby and Libby were out on a walk, and apparently, they’re missing. I gotta go down to the sheriff’s department.’ And she was like, ‘okay, well let us know what’s going on, and you know, just make sure everything’s okay.’ And I’m like, ‘yep no problem, see ya in a little while. I don’t know if I’ll be back tonight, but you know, I’ll see what I can do.’”

Kelsi German:
“Me and Cody crossed the bridge and were looking in the woods, and we couldn’t find them anywhere. That’s when I started to realize that something was really wrong.”

Mike Patty:
“I didn’t realize the urgency of it. You know, it was like okay Libby’s not answering the phone or either it went dead. Or she’s out running around with a bunch of kids, you know, doing whatever. But, I did wrap up and came straight there. I started walking the trails, as well. And then I called the police and literally within minutes—when I said hey, we got a situation here, we need some help—I got back on the trails and started walking back up towards the Freedom Bridge. And by the time I got to the Freedom Bridge, I ran into two officers that was out there walking it as well. So, they reacted, you know, just really quick. And, uh, continued to walk on the trails and then ended up meeting Becky back up at the police station at some point, cause I knew Becky was there.”

Mike Patty:
“We were around town looking. Flash lights were lit up looking up and down in alleys and streets. We went all around looking and went back out to the trails. And as the night progressed, went back up to the police—I think I dropped Becky off. I think her and Kelsi were going through some of the social media stuff—trying to look at computers, or iPads, or iPods, or anything we had, trying to look for any information."

DTH:
“When did you become aware of the Snapchat photos?”

Becky Patty:
“It was that evening. I think Kelsi’s the one who showed me because I didn’t have SnapChat. Because she had gone on to work and then we had to call her back. And so, I think she saw it and she said well I do know this. So, we had seen it while we were at the police station. It was that night.”

DTH:
“What did you think of those two images—the image of the bridge and the image of Abby on the bridge?”

Becky Patty:
“Well, at the time, the only one I saw was the one of Abby on the bridge. So, I-I-I didn’t, so I knew they were at least on the bridge, and you know, over. So, uh, I don’t remember what I thought. I just know that okay they were there; we need to be—we need to be searching from there. Cause we know they were at least that far.”

DTH:
“And when you called police, how did you call—was that a 9-1-1 call?”

Mike Patty:
“No, I called the sheriff’s department directly.”

Tobe Leazenby:
“It was right around 5 o’clock that evening. One of my detectives sent me a text and said ‘hey sheriff, we have two girls missing that are part of—that live in the county and they were last seen just out of Delphi near the High Bridge.’ I honestly was not overly concerned in the beginning because—for a number of years, any time we’ve had a report of a runaway or even a missing senior citizen—I would guess, percentage wise, we’ve probably found or located those runaways or seniors, uh, I’d say 90-95% of the time. And, so that initial thought entered my mind. I thought, well okay we’ll find ‘em. You know, we’ll find ‘em and everything will be fine.”

Darryl Sterrett:
“I deployed people and trucks to different areas. We didn’t know where to look in the initial—they were just missing. So, kinda deployed people to different areas looking for the girls. Driving up and down the street, checking maybe friend’s houses, um, just putting more boots on the ground and doing what we could. And once the guys got out of the station, I was called to the sheriff’s office and we had set up a joint incident command.”

Shane Evans:
“I drove the 25 to 35 minutes up to Delphi [from a meeting]. I can’t remember—I know I talked to the fire department. I went to the jail, talked to some of the dispatch units, some of the city units, um. At one point, I went out there when the fire department was searching for the girls, at that point. Um, got some equipment available. We have—the waste water department has—I wouldn’t call it a 4-wheeler—it’s something bigger than a golf cart and smaller than a Gator. Um, so we made that available to county and city units that were working that night, if anything came up.”

Darryl Sterrett:
“At this point, we started getting a sense of urgency. Now mind you, it’s pitch black. We focused on the creek. We focused on the road side. We focused on everything we could with what we had. We tried to ping the cellphone, and the information that we got was—okay, the cell phone pinged off of this tower. What does that mean? Well, it could be within a two mile radius of this tower. And so okay, I said we need to search all of Delphi, which then includes Deer Creek, the Wabash—I mean, two miles out is a good ways.”

Tobe Leazenby:
“Of course, that particular day was, um, unseasonably warm. But as-as it drew closer to evening, it began to feel a little bit cooler that evening, obviously. And so, being near a stream, the Deer Creek, the temperature of the water during that time period was obviously cold. You know, we have that. Rough terrain, so to say. Very, very rural part of—even though it’s just outside of the city limits—you know, immediately it turned into a very remote terrain area. Um, obviously there’s hills and valleys, and things like that out there.”

Darryl Sterritt:
“In that evening, we could’ve had at many as 100 people searching easily. And as you knock on this neighbor’s door and say hey, then they join the search. And, so the entire town was searching, in their own way. That’s part of being in a small town. Everybody knows everybody, and if you don’t know ‘em, you know of ‘em. And, everybody wants to help. So, we looked, and we looked, and we walked. We were focused on the bridge area, and we had people on 4-wheelers. We had farmers in the area; the community was looking. We searched until maybe 11:30-12:00. And, I had met up with the sheriff and discussed with him—and Chief Mullin—I said look, we have—we have blanketed this area. I honestly think we could probably check it off. And he said, well yeah I agree. And, you know, at some point you have to do that.”

Erica Gibson:
“Everybody was checking different trails in Delphi just to make sure. So, we came up here and we were back there, and we even saw the firefighters back there. And, um, like we talked to them for a while, and then, um, they called off the search. And, so we went home. But, I’m glad we did as I texted Kelsi right before—and I’m like hey I know you guys checked around the bridge, but I know other people have to. Do you need those extra eyes? Kinda glad we didn’t, you know. We were two of Libby’s best friends—the other person with me was one of Abby’s—and so I’m kinda glad we didn’t.”

Cynthia Rossi:
“I think when they started mentioning the police bringing in dogs from Chicago—cause I know—because I know from living there—that a lot of bad things happen there. And, they always have just certain systems set up if something is to go wrong. And it’s a very professional city when it comes to crime and dealing with crime, and they have everything you could ever imagine when it comes to dealing with that sort of thing. So when somebody said they were bringing in dogs from Chicago, I was like oh they’re going to other states—they’re contacting people all across the world to try to find them—that isn’t a good sign.”

Erica Gibson:
“Definitely worried that night—cause I went ahead and stayed with another friend that night because we were going to go to school in the morning. I was terrified; she wasn’t so much. A friend we Facetimed was, but like, they were only terrified because if they’re still out there, they’re cold. They’re scared if one of them’s hurt, and really we just thought they really were just lost and scared.”

Darryl Sterrett:
“I’ve heard good and bad. On that comment—I guess I will say that it was a joint decision that I consulted with many, many emergency response leaders in our community. And so, at some point, I guess what I will—the way I will put it is the organized effort by emergency services was temporarily called off, yes. But, there were still people I know out even though they were not necessarily under out leadership. I’ll—I’ll put it that way.”

DTH Producer:
“Just for people who may be wondering why, you know what was sorta the calculus and the rationale behind that decision?”

Tobe Leazenby:
“The search at that point had obviously not been fruitful. The other thing that was limited at that time were very limited resources. And when I say--basically additional lighting is one thing that came to mind that we didn’t have access to. At least, again, at those hours. And, so um, I would—as I recall, I think a lot of it boiled down to the availability of resources and being able to continue on.”

Darryl Sterrett:
“We were at High Bridge. We had walked High Bridge. And we had walked under High Bridge—had guys climb down to the top of the pillars of High Bridge. I had guys doing things they should have not been doing, but we were going to find something. We had scoured the banks of the creek, the hillsides—the way, you get to a point where, you know, that you’ve walked over two, and three, and four times in that area. You kind of feel like you have to put a checkmark on it. So, we had come to that point. And, it’s like I said, it was a tough thing to do, but as a volunteer department you also have to look out for the individuals that you command. Because they have jobs, they have livelihoods. That’s the tough part of it it because, as a chief, you have to be able to look out for them at some point. And they would stay out there until sunup if you told them that’s what you were doing, but at some point you have to be realistic. We have turned every rock we could think of in this area, and that time of year, you know, the ground cover isn’t now—where you’ve got weeds four foot tall, you know. You could see a good ways even in the dark. We have, of course, we have lights like no other. So, we came to that point where we need to check this spot off and maybe look at coming back fresh in the morning. Let’s see what happens.”

Darryl Sterrett:
“[the following morning] I had a couple come in to do nothing but just register volunteers. I know we were at 300, and then the people that freelance and don’t check in. So, we had people and people and people. Got a call up from Tippecanoe County, offered up a mobile operation center. Uh, and we brought it in and set it up at the bridge area, so that we could more readily coordinate people in that area. And, we covered everything that we had covered the night before, but we covered it in daylight and we covered it with twice as many people.”

Kelsi German:
“The next morning, we all got up—me and my grandma—got up and left about 7:30-ish. And, everybody met up at the fire station. And the fire department separated us into groups, and my family actually all got separated. My grandma and aunt Tara were in one group, and I was in another group with my dad, and my other sister, and a few other people. And my group got sent to High Bridge.”

Todd Ladd:
“I contacted the sheriff who attended my church and asked him where do you want me. He asked me to come down to the command center. So, my role at the command center was basically to talk with people as they came in, as they volunteered. I signed in as a volunteer, of course. But, more to be just connecting, listening, talking to first responders, looking at maps wondering—even spent about an hour with another clergy friend, went and searched another area of the creek and behind some houses, just going over areas that had been checked but wanted to check once again. Many, many people were wanting to come out—even people from other communities nearby. The Logansport, the Frankfort, the Monticello, as well. But, of course, you saw a lot of people that you know because you know many people in this community.”

DTH:
“So, is your mood on Tuesday morning different than it was on Monday night when you were out at the scene?”

Todd Ladd:
“Mood Tuesday morning is like something’s not right.”

Darryl Sterrett:
“So, we had helicopters up, they were searching the creek. We had kayakers on the creek, 'cause some of those areas, you’re not gonna see except for from the water. So, the terrain is rough when you get off of the trail system. For this area, if it’s not a cornfield, it’s a creek bed. So, even on foot in the daytime, it-it was tough to search.”

Tobe Leazenby:
“Obviously, as time continued to go along, I again had that thought in my mind about—ok this isn’t like majority of what we end up with in this county, being able to find individuals. Yeah, at some point I thought, okay yeah I’m not real sure about this one.”

Kelsi German:
“We heard somebody yell up the hill that they found a shoe. And, at the moment, I knew exactly what they were wearing. I couldn’t remember what the sweatshirt was my sister was wearing until later, but I knew exactly what shoes they were wearing. And so they yelled up that it was a black Nike, and I knew that it was Libby’s. And then about thirty seconds later, somebody else said that they’d found them.”

Tobe Leazenby:
“I’ll never forget this part, unfortunately. I know Chief Steve Mullin and I—and I believe the Delphi mayor Shane Evans—um, Fire Chief Sterrett, we were kinda in the back part of the fire department. And, I remember I believe it was Chief Mullin got a call—said we’ve located them, uhhh, and they’re, you know, no longer with us.”

Darryl Sterrett:
“Because of the number of people, we wanted to get authorities to the site before we put out any blanket notice. So, we kinda played coy to protect the people, to protect the scene, um, to protect the family. So, we kinda went downstairs and played coy, and we were waiting to give notice. We wanted the family to not find out from anyone but authorities. Course, then you get people saying we heard this, we heard that. Sometimes you’ve got to lie to people to protect themselves, I’m sorry. Tell them “well you’ve heard more than we know,” and at some point, uh, I believe it was Steve Mullin came down and said we have the scene secured. Let’s go ahead and let people know, so we can terminate—lets get people out of here. I made the announcement that the girls had been found and it was not to a good end, and I thanked everybody that was there. I tried to be that guy, that when all else is tumbling down, somebody’s gotta keep it together. And, when I made the announcement, the entire lot was full of people and there’s a stream of state trooper cars going by, and it’s just surreal. I knew where they were going and I knew what they were facing.”

@cujenn81
I echo everyone else's sentiments when I say a very big 'thank you' for the time and energy it took to transcribe all of those podcasts.

Greatly appreciated!

So many interviews have disappeared from view over the years that these transcripts become very, very valuable to many of us members who are referring back to check for exact wording and details that have been forgotten or 'lost in translation.'

May I request that you copy your posts over to the Media Thread at this link?
IN - Abigail Williams & Liberty German, Delphi, Media, Maps, Timelines NO DISCUSSION

If that is the case, IMO, it was a mistake to reference that publicly. It would have thrilled the Perp to no end, and enhanced his afterglow.

amateur opinion and speculation
Looking at this from a different perspective, perhaps it prompted him to speak about the case publicly afterwards, which may have been what LE wanted him to do.

JMO

Has anyone seen any interviews of J Kyle Keener the photographer from the Pharos Tribune who was on the scene both the day of the search and the day the girls were found? Besides him writing an article about seeing girls clothes in the Creek and seeing his name on a lot of crime scene photos I have never seen where he was interviewed by LE. He lost his job shortly after the murders but was there long enough to have been interviewed. Also he did a large spread article with photos of bald eagles and their habitats in Logansport and Delphi wooded areas near area creeks, 1 month before the crime, so he may have seen someone creepy hanging around or scouting the area.

@cujenn81 Thank you very much for all your transcribing posts from the podcasts, which must’ve taken you many, many hours! It’ll also serve as excellent future reference as many of the LE and family statements get forgotten or overlooked as time goes on.

Yes, it is amazing amount of job, and so helpful!

Has anyone seen any interviews of J Kyle Keener the photographer from the Pharos Tribune who was on the scene both the day of the search and the day the girls were found? Besides him writing an article about seeing girls clothes in the Creek and seeing his name on a lot of crime scene photos I have never seen where he was interviewed by LE. He lost his job shortly after the murders but was there long enough to have been interviewed. Also he did a large spread article with photos of bald eagles and their habitats in Logansport and Delphi wooded areas near area creeks, 1 month before the crime, so he may have seen someone creepy hanging around or scouting the area.

I’m guessing he lost his job because of that reckless remark to the press. Interesting idea that he might have seen someone hanging around prior to the murders

I always assumed JKK was in a media helicopter when he allegedly spotted girls’ clothing in the river shortly after the girls’ bodies were discovered. But when this topic was last discussed another WS member pointed out that was incorrect, he was on the ground, 75 feet away iirc. Since then I’ve wondered how it came to be that he was granted access to the river/crime scene area if the area was immediately secured.

This is one of his photos and it appears the trail was closed during crime scene processing.

upload_2020-7-27_18-30-22.jpeg

UPDATED: Official on Delphi double homicide: 'There is somebody out there who did this crime'

I always assumed JKK was in a media helicopter when he allegedly spotted girls’ clothing in the river shortly after the girls’ bodies were discovered. But when this topic was last discussed another WS member pointed out that was incorrect, he was on the ground, 75 feet away iirc. Since then I’ve wondered how it came to be that he was granted access to the river/crime scene area if the area was immediately secured.

This is one of his photos and it appears the trail was closed during crime scene processing.

View attachment 257261

UPDATED: Official on Delphi double homicide: 'There is somebody out there who did this crime'
Yes, good point about how did he get that close to the crime scene? I still would like to hear what he knows. It seems most other people at the scene have been interviewed, why not him?

Yes, good point about how did he get that close to the crime scene? I still would like to hear what he knows. It seems most other people at the scene have been interviewed, why not him?
Awhile back, I got interested in his perspective and I couldn't find much, I ended up just checking out his bio from over the years.

I would think he’s been interviewed, it just that LE hasn’t told us who has been.

The photo, 12th down, taken of two searchers indicates he was on the bridge around noon the day the bodies were found.
https://twitter.com/pharosjkk

I’m guessing he lost his job because of that reckless remark to the press. Interesting idea that he might have seen someone hanging around prior to the murders
Yes and I heard he liked to be out in wooded areas with his drone taking photos so maybe he caught something or someone on film and doesn’t realize it.

View attachment 257261

They do seem to allow "trusted" news reporters to get close(r), and I would think (?) LE works with them to get whatever narrative they want out there.

As far as that headline.....uh DOY! Talk about stating the obvious. ; )

Amateur opinion and speculation

75 yards, not feet. Is this to say he allegedly viewed the clothing from the bridge only after the bodies were found? The people he photographed, 2 in one photo, 3 in another, along with others who crossed the bridge that morning didn’t see anything? That’s an odd coincidence if the clothing in the river suddenly became visible only after the bodies were found, given the murders occurred the day before. I’m not totally convinced he saw anything. JMO

Source:
Found Deceased - IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 - #31
copy of post 937 (thanks to Jax49)

Here is a link to the photographer's comment regarding seeing girls clothing in Deer Creek. And the comment for those who don't do FB. BBM

J Kyle Keener

IT HAS BEEN A TRAGIC DAY IN CARROLL COUNTY, INDIANA, the scene of a double murder. One thing they never teach you in journalism school is how creepy it feels to have to cover a homicide. For several hours I photographed the search for two missing 13-year-old girls. This type of endeavor is stressful for the searchers, the first responders and also the media at the scene. Detectives found the bodies of two missing teens near a rural hiking trail below the abandoned Monon high railroad bridge. The bridge itself in incredibly beautiful making it difficult to witness a horrific murder scene so nearby. From 75-yards away I could see girls clothing in Deer Creek east of the bridge and knew full well that the girls where found very nearby. To walk in a place that a murderer had walked only a handful of hours earlier is extremely upsetting, but as journalists it is part of the business that simply needs done to tell the news of our area. Photos by J. Kyle Keener / Pharos-Tribune copyright 2017

Last edited:
75 yards, not feet. Is this to say he allegedly viewed the clothing from the bridge only after the bodies were found? The people he photographed, 2 in one photo, 3 in another, along with others who crossed the bridge that morning didn’t see anything? That’s an odd coincidence if the clothing in the river suddenly became visible only after the bodies were found, given the murders occurred the day before. I’m not totally convinced he saw anything. JMO

Source:
Found Deceased - IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 - #31
copy of post 937 (thanks to Jax49)

Here is a link to the photographer's comment regarding seeing girls clothing in Deer Creek. And the comment for those who don't do FB. BBM

J Kyle Keener

IT HAS BEEN A TRAGIC DAY IN CARROLL COUNTY, INDIANA, the scene of a double murder. One thing they never teach you in journalism school is how creepy it feels to have to cover a homicide. For several hours I photographed the search for two missing 13-year-old girls. This type of endeavor is stressful for the searchers, the first responders and also the media at the scene. Detectives found the bodies of two missing teens near a rural hiking trail below the abandoned Monon high railroad bridge. The bridge itself in incredibly beautiful making it difficult to witness a horrific murder scene so nearby. From 75-yards away I could see girls clothing in Deer Creek east of the bridge and knew full well that the girls where found very nearby. To walk in a place that a murderer had walked only a handful of hours earlier is extremely upsetting, but as journalists it is part of the business that simply needs done to tell the news of our area. Photos by J. Kyle Keener / Pharos-Tribune copyright 2017

I remember the first time I read his statement and I thought 75 yards was a pretty good distance and I couldn’t figure how he could possibly tell the clothes were girls’ clothes from that distance. I wondered too if the report was legitimate.

I remember the first time I read his statement and I thought 75 yards was a pretty good distance and I couldn’t figure how he could possibly tell the clothes were girls’ clothes from that distance. I wondered too if the report was legitimate.

I've always assumed he was looking thru his camera. And, if for instance the clothing included undergarments they might be easily identifiable. moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy