Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #99

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
... Walmart sells those newsboy caps and they've been back in style for a few years now. My 12 yo son just wore one to a dance.
<rsbm>

LE said the hat should be disregarded but I can't recall what reason was given at the time. (Possibly because they could not distinguish the exact style).

Yet I'm not sure why LE would say that they were considering a Familial DNA Search if they do NOT have the killers DNA. Why say it's on the table (which to me means it's an option) if they don't have the isolated DNA to begin with? Jmo

Do you happen to remember when they said that? Very interesting, do you remember which LE officer said it?

I have yet to read or hear one believable (to me) reason why police would issue a sketch and open themselves back to up hundreds or more mostly useless “tips” if they know who this guy is.

First, I do not believe police would risk a sketch if they know who he is, due to possible false accusations, the likelihood image is not a good match to the person, etc...makes zero sense. Secondly, police would not address people who “know” him via a press conference. If they know this is Tom Thumb, i.e, it is to those close to Tom Thumb they would be spending their time with. Not flinging out strategic words and phrases in hopes that these same folks would hang their heads and give in.

I really don’t get the seemingly overwhelming belief that they know who he is. At all. Jmo

Agree. I think LE might have wanted to portray the illusion that they are closing in, to help smoke out the killer; I think if they truly had a viable suspect they wouldn’t have needed the last PC. All opinions, and continue to have faith LE will solve this case soon.

I think I'm one of the people who have put that forth as fact, and I apologize. I have looked back through everything I could find, and can't find support for anything other than their talking about the man, minus the "creepy" part.

No apology needed- I can’t even remember who has individually said it :) It’s just been a quote floating around for a while as factual and one of those things I could never find in any articles or interviews, and them calling him creepy kind of makes a difference to me.

K-Mac actually traced the source to a GH video, where GH says that the “creepy” description came from his personal conversations with friends/family. Which no one here can necessarily verify, so we have to take it for what it’s worth. Which may be worth a lot, but I don’t know. :eek:

It was I who mentioned this, or at least was one, I brought up redheads in comparison, not saying reddish brown is a total redhead by any means.

I just want to clarify it. I was born and raised in the midwest and have relatives in Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. I also do in Arizona, and more but they are not the midwest, not that is exclusive of same. I know a ton of people and cannot come up with a one in my thoughts that have natural reddish brown hair. Brownish? Yes. Reddish? A few. I guess it is our own perspective, what is reddish brown? I include females in that as well as males. The only ones who I can come up with that I know of was due to hair color, the last color was brunette of some type or brown and then one did a red color over it. Or a natural brunette who tried to cover with red. I guess it depends on what is meant by reddish brown by LE and how each of us interprets that. Add in curly haired and a prominent chin, not to mention youth even more rare with such a color. Imo.

Now I cannot say I have spent much time in Indiana. Maybe reddish brown is more common there. In that case, I would have to go with LE's statement that he is from the area of Delphi in some way, shape or form.

Jmo of course. And I should have clarified that I did not mean an outright redhead to compare to reddish brown, my point was, which I did not probably make clear, is that neither to me, at least, is that common.

In regular lighting I have brown hair, but in sunlight I definitely have highlights that have a reddish tone. Anyone remember the old "Sun-In" stuff that was supposed to lighten your hair? The label warned about using it if you have reddish highlights because instead of ending up with pretty blonde highlights you could end up with orange? Well, I didn't listed and ended up with highlights that definitely weren't what I was looking for.

I would think that the makers of Sun-In put this on the label because there must be at least a fair number of people with red highlights that they thought needed to be warned. JMO

In regular lighting I have brown hair, but in sunlight I definitely have highlights that have a reddish tone. Anyone remember the old "Sun-In" stuff that was supposed to lighten your hair? The label warned about using it if you have reddish highlights because instead of ending up with pretty blonde highlights you could end up with orange? Well, I didn't listed and ended up with highlights that definitely weren't what I was looking for.

I would think that the makers of Sun-In put this on the label because there must be at least a fair number of people with red highlights that they thought needed to be warned. JMO

It's the same way people with dark colored hair often end up with orange or dark yellow hair when they try to bleach it without a good toner. (Or try to bleach it at home with box dyes.) Most dyes and bleaches just can't lift more than a few levels at a time and if you have any underlying red pigments in your hair and you don't leave the bleach on long enough, or use a toner, then you're gonna be a tangerine.

Yea I agree. I don't know if Indiana has iron in the water but here in WI we do. My hair always has an orange/rust tint to it where as if I wash it in water with less iron its more ash blond.

I have to do an lol here. I had to quit highlighting when moving from one type of midwest water to another years ago (because it would give me orange/rust highlights instead of natural subtly sun lightened looking highlights).

In an effort at a little lightness, maybe Bridge Guy/Coward of Carroll County will be caught based on the type of water he has access to--well water, treated city water, age of pipes in residence, iron and reddish brown colored hair, etc... I was told upon a water test that was the very reason for it. At first I blamed Clairol and was extremely upset with them :D

<rsbm>

LE said the hat should be disregarded but I can't recall what reason was given at the time. (Possibly because they could not distinguish the exact style).

Not only did they say that the hat should be ignored, but now they're saying that the sketch in general should be ignored. I was just comparing the current clothing conversation (old dude vs young guy based on clothing) to a similar convo we've previously had on here. Point being that it's difficult deciding age based on what BG is wearing.

IMO there’s so much more that LE has that we will never know. We don’t need to know either. I can’t wait for the day with this person is locked up forever.

As much as we want details, it’s not their job to inform the public of every little thing.

It’s so hard to wait, but it will be worth it!

McAdams/Coleman interview:
McAdams says they are processing evidence daily, including DNA.

Thanks! Great job finding this!

I was hoping he would mention the forest floor part(interesting to me that they would take it from the scene) I also wish that after 6 months(the time of this interview) they would be able to state more definitively that they have DNA from a person of interest.

Something he said that I find interesting is the first sketch was produced with the help of people on the trail that day. Was the first guy actually on the trail? The whole Sketch issue is so strange.

I have to do an lol here. I had to quit highlighting when moving from one type of midwest water to another years ago (because it would give me orange/rust highlights instead of natural subtly sun lightened looking highlights).

In an effort at a little lightness, maybe Bridge Guy/Coward of Carroll County will be caught based on the type of water he has access to--well water, treated city water, age of pipes in residence, iron and reddish brown colored hair, etc... I was told upon a water test that was the very reason for it. At first I blamed Clairol and was extremely upset with them :D

lol I feel your pain. The one time I tried to dye my hair two shades lighter it ended up coming out strawberry blond. Everyone was like hey you pulled it off pretty good for a guy. lol Thank god it was short and grew out fast.

Do you happen to remember when they said that? Very interesting, do you remember which LE officer said it?
I posted it a couple of times, but I don't know how to link it. (I was hoping someone else would)
The article is called, "Familial DNA search might unlock Delphi Killer's identity." It's from Journal and Courier, June 1, 2018.
In it Leazenby discusses the possibility of using it and there is a lot of other information too.

Yet I'm not sure why LE would say that they were considering a Familial DNA Search if they do NOT have the killers DNA. Why say it's on the table (which to me means it's an option) if they don't have the isolated DNA to begin with? Jmo

Sgt Riley discusses the consideration of using familial DNA
Delphi detectives working closely with investigators who cracked Fort Wayne cold case

ETA Already answered, but leaving mine in since it’s a different and additional source

I can see I have confused people with my comment,
"No, it's not even certain if they have any usable DNA at all. As far as I know... imo."

Here is the question I was answering:
"LE never confirmed actually having BG´s DNA, did they?"

ETA: I don't want to add confusion or incorrect information is all. I know LE has DNA from the crime scene but is it usable? I don't know. As far as knowing it belongs to BG... I imagine that would depend of the source of the DNA and where it was found and after eliminating any sources of contamination such as searchers, anyone handling the bodies, lab techs... and so on...

I think I already posted it, but potentially, such an algorithm could help

STRmix Launches New Application to Rapidly Calculate DNA Likelihood Ratios

What this app can do:

Specific features of DBLR™ include the ability to:

• Undertake direct comparison of one or many components of a forensic DNA mixture to a database of known individuals;

• Carry out familial searches for a range of different relationships, including siblings, half-siblings, parents, and children;

• Search for common contributors between mixed DNA profiles;

• Determine the profiles of the most likely contributors to a profile;

• Visualize the value of evidence by calculating expected LRs for one or many components of forensic DNA profiles for true and non-contributors using randomly generated individuals;

• Manage automated searches for one or many DNA profiles against one or many databases of known individuals;

• Manage databases of known contributors and STRmix™ deconvolutions from unsolved casework for easy matching.

So if I understand right, even in cases of contaminated DNA crime scene, some information can be teased out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur