IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #70

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the minor charges get dropped. If anything, they are a reason to hold him in custody and gain more time for the investigation of the murders - to make sure everything is in place before formal charges of murder are made. LE is in good position, imo.

jmopinion

ITA! And we have seen this play out before in other murder cases when they have someone they believe may be the suspect in a homicide or homicides. It is an ideal situation for LE to have the POI in jail on other charges. It gives them much more valuable time to gather more evidence concerning the murder/s.

LE has him right where they want him. He is locked up and off the streets so they aren't worried about him striking again.

LE in the Guy Heinz Jr. mass murder case when he murdered 8 family members did the very same thing to him. He was arrested for having a drug in his possession that he had no legal right to have. In fact it belonged to one of his murder victims. During this time the GBI fast tracked the DNA evidence to the FBI. He bonded out that day and as soon as he walked out of the courthouse they arrested him for the mass murders of his family. They had warrants out on Jesse Matthews too for other charges but they knew all along he was the suspect in the murder of Hannah Graham.

This gives them valuable time to hold a suspect or POI in jail on other charges before they bring murder charges against them.

I have noticed in several cases/states recently other LE is using this same strategy which is a good one, imo. Not every murderer commits crimes before they murder someone/s, but a lot of them do, and many are caught when they were arrested for another crime.

IMO

Wow, sorry for all of the typos. I meant to say maybe eyesight IS poor.

If DN is not a match with whatever information Indiana has about the killer, it's likely we'll get an answer relatively soon. But I don't think they'd make an announcement the other way; they might say they're still pursuing leads and it's a possibility, but I don't think they'll say anything for sure until and unless they have the information to make an arrest, and I don't think they'll do that until they're sure they have a case that will be successful to prosecute.

That quite likely means they'll just allow the court proceedings for the current charges to continue while they build their case.

The longer we wait, the more likely it's him, I think.

I agree with that but I think if his DNA matches the DNA found at the scene we may know that sometime this week. Its according to how long it takes the lab to compare the two samples. I am sure the ISP or FBI requested a fast track.

I don't think they would wait until they build their case to announce his is a match. Pretty hard to get around that if it matches. It would certainly be enough for him to be arrested and charged.

Many murderers have been arrested within even a day or within days of the murders. The investigation is ongoing long after an arrest has been made and many go on until right before trial. So I don't think they would wait until they put the entire case together before he is arrested, and charged with the murders IF his DNA is a match. But you could be right of course. We will have to wait and see what happens.

I think during all of these months LE has been diligently collecting evidence all this time. All they needed was a DNA match showing who the killer is. I think they know what happened and only needed to ID the suspect. For all we know they may have been investigating DN since July and have all that information in their files.

Imo, all of the charges will still stand. The investigators may use this time to do further investigations concerning the Delphi Murders and for Mr Watkins' murder. There will be ample time to arrest him in due time for murder if he is the one involved. Imo, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

What will be interesting is if he is charged with Mr. Watkins murder and the Delphi murders. Will CO want to try him first or will they agree for him being tried first for the Delphi homicides, and then he will be brought back to stand trial for the CO murder?

Since the murders of the girls happened first the CO DA may agree to have him tried first for the Indiana case. After then he can be brought back to stand trial in CO.

That is IF they bring charges against DN concerning the girls' case.

I think we may know something by Wednesday of this week. Or at least will have an update by the ISP on this case concerning DN.
I think a DP case would take precedent...both states are DP so the one most likely to get a conviction would go first by mutual agreement I presume.

Finally caught up! Nice to see you all!!! Great sleuthing going on here!

JMO...

One of the things that makes me feel DN really might be BG is the fact that one of the officers from Abby and Libby's case (Leazenby?) was recently in CO and spoke about their case to other LEOs. IIRC, he said he spoke about this case. It's very probable he revealed "sealed" info to the other LEOs, with the understanding the info was to be kept confidential. Which could be why they requested the lockdown by CO LE on the details of the CO case.

My gut instinct is when TW (that whole situation breaks my heart, prayers for his family and friends) was found a bunch of similarities were discovered. I mean possible matches to type of weapon, similar or identical wounds, similar or identical treatment of the victims after death. Something or somethings that matched the info LE has that we don't have. Something that raised the biggest red flag.

Also, Delphi/ISP/IN FBI said they were treating this tip as seriously as every other tip, but would make the trip to CO if they felt it was warranted (this was linked and mentioned upstream, possibly last thread). Apparently they felt it was warranted, as they have been out there several days...

I'm not 100% sure it's him, more like 85% at the moment, but I think he is the most likely option we've discussed on here so far.

Hoping and praying for justice for those beautiful girls and closure for their dear families!

JMO.

I agree with that but I think if his DNA matches the DNA found at the scene we may know that sometime this week. Its according to how long it takes the lab to compare the two samples. I am sure the ISP or FBI requested a fast track.

I don't think they would wait until they build their case to announce his is a match. Pretty hard to get around that if it matches. It would certainly be enough for him to be arrested and charged.

Many murderers have been arrested within even a day or within days of the murders. The investigation is ongoing long after an arrest has been made and many go on until right before trial. So I don't think they would wait until they put the entire case together before he is arrested, and charged with the murders IF his DNA is a match. But you could be right of course. We will have to wait and see what happens.

I think during all of these months LE has been diligently collecting evidence all this time. All they needed was a DNA match showing who the killer is. I think they know what happened and only needed to ID the suspect. For all we know they may have been investigating DN since July and have all that information in their files.

They certainly might. But the careful and deliberate way Delphi LE and ISP have proceeded so far makes me think they'll likely opt for the more cautious approach.

I suppose a lot would depend on exactly what they have to match. If the DNA was near the scene but not with the girls, he could say, "Well, I slept there for a couple of nights, of course my DNA's around," and it would be hard to prove otherwise without supporting evidence.

I'm sure they'll have the DNA results this week if they don't already, but that doesn't automatically mean they'll release the information. Truthfully, I expect some sort of non-informational press conference, with a lot of "further investigation needed" and "we can't talk about that."

Per this article:
http://www.krdo.com/news/crime/el-p...ne-the-daniel-nations-investigation/628191353

on 9/27, he was charged with possession of a weapon by a previous offender
and then
'Nations is expected to be back in Teller County court in October to face the weapons charge. '

maybe?

I've backtracked trying to find the October 16th reference as I'd just cleared my browser history. (of course!)

Here's one mention:

"Nations is being held at Colorado’s Teller County Jail in lieu of a $2,000 bond. He is expected to appear in in Teller County District Court on Oct. 16."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...er-of-teen-hikers_us_59cd579de4b06791bb0f6e90

Just out of interest, what happens to his current charges if he gets charged with the Delphi Murders or the killing of TW? I'm guessing because they're minor in comparison all his court dates will be dropped and focus will turn towards the more serious crimes. I'm just curious what happens in that kind of situation, being relatively new to true crime.

Good question, Heathy!

Re: DNA

If DN is BG and if they get a DNA match I don't think we're going to know that until trial. This is not going to be revealed to us.

If DN is arrested for the murders of Abby and Libby I think it is still a ways off.

DNA can be the basis for the arrest however, DNA evidence can be refuted in a court of law. Just because you have DNA does not mean it's a slam dunk.

IF THEY HAVE A MATCH NOW, I think LE are busting their !%$ to build their case from the ground up in addition to DNA.

As well, they don't have to do anything by way of charging him as he's already under lock and key and most likely will be charged with murder in Colorado. They have time to build a rock solid case and don't have to rush.

I just don't think we are going to see any movement soon. Although I am extremely anxious to see ARREST at the top of this thread.

JMHO

I agree. I think a tip was turned in on him before he even left for Colorado. I'm still on the fence about him, and my gut is mostly saying "no", but I think someone called him in before the incident out west. I believe that's why they went out there so quickly to question him-he'd been on their radar for a little while (not very long, but at least since July).

I agree. And the girls families suddenly this last month started a campaign to paper campgrounds and truckstops all over north america with his mugshot, that means they were really focused to looking for a homeless person. Sorry if it isnt him. He had the means opportunity and motive -- but if there is the evidence to put him exactly there, is only something LE knows.

I find it interesting that a visit wasn't made to the Greenwood InTowne Suites until after the sketch was released.

Nations was non compliant for quite awhile.. and IMHO only a half hearted attempt was made to locate and verify his whereabouts previously.

Please note I'm not bashing LE .. I know their caseloads are high and they can't keep up 24/7 on everyone.. not with the budgets they have.

So I think someone in LE recognized that sketch and made it a priority to locate him.

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A visit was made on May 10th, DN wasn't there, but the manager told the officer that he was still in residence.
The officer made several attempts to contact him by phone between 5/10 and 7/17, but didn't actually return to the InSuites until 7/18, which is when he was told by the manager that DN had moved out 5/12.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he decided to return to look for him the day after the sketch was released. Some bell was rung for him when he saw it (MOO)

I personally feel that the longer the wait, the better the chance that DN is indeed BG. My guess is that ruling someone out is a quicker process than ruling someone "in" (i.e. declaring a suspect and charging that individual with a crime). If we don't hear anything in the next few days then I'll be that much more optimistic that LE has their man.

Does anyone remember way back in the early threads when there was discussion about BGs photo on the bridge? There was mention of an area near his upper leg/hip that may have been blurred/edited out? As if something may have been hanging there? Could it have been a rifle? Hanging over his shoulder and down along his side? Didn't I read that hunting for small game was in season in February? Of course I could have this memory all wrong. It was so long ago!

I personally feel that the longer the wait, the better the chance that DN is indeed BG. My guess is that ruling someone out is a quicker process than ruling someone "in" (i.e. declaring a suspect and charging that individual with a crime). If we don't hear anything in the next few days then I'll be that much more optimistic that LE has their man.

Really good point although I suspect it takes a week at least to get a good DNA comparison to be made if they have that.

A visit was made on May 10th, DN wasn't there, but the manager told the officer that he was still in residence.
The officer made several attempts to contact him by phone between 5/10 and 7/17, but didn't actually return to the InSuites until 7/18, which is when he was told by the manager that DN had moved out 5/12.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he decided to return to look for him the day after the sketch was released. Some bell was rung for him when he saw it (MOO)

So DN moves out two days after the parole officer comes by an checks on him? Wonder if he got the word that the PO was there (for an unusual visit time) and then flew the coop?

Is the bail still low??

I am afraid someone posts bail for this guy and he walks. Even if he isn't BG, if he is being investigated for murder, how do you hold someone long enough to know if they are involved or not?

Re: DNA

If DN is BG and if they get a DNA match I don't think we're going to know that until trial. This is not going to be revealed to us.

If DN is arrested for the murders of Abby and Libby I think it is still a ways off.

DNA can be the basis for the arrest however, DNA evidence can be refuted in a court of law. Just because you have DNA does not mean it's a slam dunk.

IF THEY HAVE A MATCH NOW, I think LE are busting their !%$ to build their case from the ground up in addition to DNA.

As well, they don't have to do anything by way of charging him as he's already under lock and key and most likely will be charged with murder in Colorado. They have time to build a rock solid case and don't have to rush.

I just don't think we are going to see any movement soon. Although I am extremely anxious to see ARREST at the top of this thread.

JMHO

Are arrest warrants not always public? If his DNA matches and they charge him, wouldn't that be in public paperwork? Just asking bc I'm not sure, but always assumed it's public info. Tia!

Is the bail still low??

I am afraid someone posts bail for this guy and he walks. Even if he isn't BG, if he is being investigated for murder, how do you hold someone long enough to know if they are involved or not?

He doesn't have family who will pay for him. Perhaps some stranger could conceivably do it, but I have a feeling LE is ready to keep track of him.

Honestly, I don't think this guy has a friend in the world who will scrounge up the money to pay his bail, even if it's "low."

jmopinion

Does anyone remember way back in the early threads when there was discussion about BGs photo on the bridge? There was mention of an area near his upper leg/hip that may have been blurred/edited out? As if something may have been hanging there? Could it have been a rifle? Hanging over his shoulder and down along his side? Didn't I read that hunting for small game was in season in February? Of course I could have this memory all wrong. It was so long ago!

I do remember the talks in the beginning about the photos. IF there was something being blurred out maybe it was a hatchet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member