IN - Allegations of child abuse at Hephzibah House, Winona Lake, 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Many if not most "tough love" teen reform schools have similar horror stories. The outdoor boot camps (not affiliated with any religion) are the scariest, imo.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...ss-boot-camps-take-tough-love-too-far/375582/

Others have pointed out strong ties between politicians and the adolescent treatment industry. Just before the 2012 presidential election, Salon published an in-depth investigative piece detailing Republican candidate Mitt Romney’s connections to CRC Health Group, which owns Aspen Education, a large umbrella organization that encompasses several wilderness programs.

Still others complain that these ties go much deeper at the local and state level.

Nicki Bush, a child psychologist and professor at the University of California, San Francisco, works with the Alliance for the Safe, Therapeutic, and Appropriate Use of Residential Treatment (ASTART), an organization of medical professionals, family members and former residents of such programs. She says ASTART often encounters obstacles because of strong local ties.

“What we see is that these places are almost always in remote areas or near small towns, and they create a situation where everyone in the region is a big proponent of the facility,” Bush says. “They provide a lot of jobs and stimulate the local economy, and that creates a sense of pride that they’re helping the youth of America. So there’s social capital to having one of these in your area. Moreover, because the youth that are put there are predominantly at risk for something—either they have some peer problems or behavior problems or social problems, etcetera—when something happens to them, people tend to dismiss it as, ‘Well, they’re bad teens.’”

There’s a documentary called Kidnapped for Christ about one of the “therapeutic” schools run by Americans in the Dominican Republic. The filmmaker was an evangelical Christian and a film student at the time. She actually set out to make a documentary about how great these schools are and the positive effects they have on “trouble teens”. Boy was she in for a shock, to put it lightly.

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, you can watch on amazon prime. I haven’t seen it in years but I’m going to rewatch when I have time.

I don’t remember specifics of what abuse the film shows, but there may be triggers for some.

https://www.guidestar.org/profile/35-1271444

Guidestar profile link.

It has two one-star reviews. Downloadable pdfs of financials are available.

(Here's a download link to 2016/2015 tax return info in pdf format.)

Seems to be Hephzibah Houses in other states, too. No idea if they're related.

ETA:

On page 10, Section 24a of the 2015/16 tax form
/ "Other expenses" — Ministry expe/Reimundist — $87,409

What's this mean? Is Ronald Williams the pastor of this "girls' school"? Is he also paying himself almost $90k in addition to the $41k he's paying himself as director? ... If the entire operation runs on about $500k ... ??? Who is receiving that $90k?

They are not related.

JMO
Re BBM

See I really think organizations like this are making large "donations" to local LE and other local agencies and maybe even above local to "protect" them. I honestly think that is why you have hit road blocks in the past.

Its similar to the lobbyists in Washington IMO where they use the old "i rub your back and you rub mine" technique. They could even be possibly donating funds legally and in their cover letter to lets say the Sheriff's office for example, they would say something like
"Here is our annual check for $10,000 to help your department since we value and trust law enforcement to help us all stay safe from trouble".

That implies they expect protection from them without them actually saying it. And they may even hand deliver funds each year which allows them to make subtle off the record comments implying they expect protection.

I really think these places are able to thrive because of techniques like that.

If something like that is happening which I suspect it very well could be then one angle that may be pursued is to see if there are financial records that may be able to be obtained through freedom of information act to see if places like the police department, sherrifs office, city administration office, school board, and others have received any annual donations like that specifically from them.

Then if it can be shown that these places do in fact donate large sums of money then it can be checked to see if there are limits or caps or rules for the recipients of these funds. And to see if those rules have been broken.

I suspect there are strict rules about "gifts" and "monetary donations" to law enforcement because it ties in with political contributions and political ambitions. And rules are usually in place to prevent people from buying their way into positions like being a sheriff or being part of the school board or other city administrative places.

So im wondering if this is another path that maybe able to be pursued to see if laws are being broken if its proven they are illegally donating large sums of money. Once the monetary donations can be stopped (if they exist) then there wont be an incentive for anyone to "protect" them.

I realize this may be a little difficult to pursue all that but with the right kind of legal help and the right kinds of questions being asked and the right kind of documents requested through the FOI Act I do think this may be a good avenue to pursue.

All JMO of course.

It definitely seems there is something going on. In past years the Fire Inspector there and the State Rep have both told us that they consider Ron Williams a personal friend. I would not be surprised at al of he was padding purses. He holds a lot of land, far more assets than he is claiming and he has always skimmed and cheated financially. I can attest to small pilfering things we know he did, but I believe that a man dishonest in the small things is dishonest in every way.

Right?! Where does its funding come from???

This is so interesting. Is there any public record of these grants? By Williams belief system he should not be taking government money. I am very interested in this. Williams funding comes from donations and tuition. His staff raise their own "support" like missionaries. He gets actual truck loads of donations, much of which he has his kids and staff sell for cash.

Also REI in this context usually refers to real estate investment. I don’t think they could legally put additional salary for him in that category on the 990.

I would really love to figure out just how much property he owns. I think it is hidden under his kids names and possibly some trusts. We found a Saylor Family Trust connected with Hephzibah house and some property and Saylor is the name of an old staff person, but we could not figure out anything else.

My colleague says if the insurance company is not listed on the 990, which it isn’t, the only other way to find out who it might be is if they were sued, then the company might be named in the court papers. They may not still have the same company, but it may be worth a try.

Do any of you know how to search for lawsuits?

I have tried. I know for a fact there were lawsuits and investigations but we cannot find any records. There was a huge investigation when I was a student. A girl escaped and when she was sent to he mother, her mother saw her severely scarred behind and how thin she was and called CPS and the police in Evansville IN. She said both agencies took dozens of pictures and she was able to name 8 girls that she knew were being abused. (I was one she named) Armed with this the Evansville task forced showed up at Hephzibah armed with warrants and Williams met them at the door and said he had closed down and those 8 named girls had been returned home. A few of those girls had been returned home, but I along with several others were removed to a church and kept hidden there for two days. The Evansville police reported back to the girl who escaped that she had closed down Hephzibah House with her bravery. My parents (in MN) were never informed of this investigation where I was named as a victim. I was never told about this, of course. The interesting thing is that both the Warsaw or Winona Lake police dept and the Evansville police dept supposedly collaborated on this investigation, yet there is absolutely no record. The local police claimed there was a fire and records were lost, so we travelled to Evansville in person to request the records of that investigation (me as a person supposedly named as a victim) and they could find not records.
Same with a big sting in the early 90's. There are witnesses that Don and Ron Williams were taken away in a police car. All the students were dispersed to a church in Ohio where they were held until they could be sent home. It was a sexual accusation we know because supporting churches held prayer vigils on Williams behalf and have told us that they were told it was a false accusation and to pray for the Williams. There is no police record of this anywhere that we can find.
There is also an incident with the man who lived across a little creek behind Hephzibah House. He told us that girls would escape and come to hime for help regularly, but Williams had explained that these girls were dangerous and disturbed and asked him to call him directly if a girl came to him. He said he did this for several girls until one day a girl showed up saying she had been raped over there. He called the police. He was quite upset when he told us the story and said with disgust that Williams and his lawyer settled the whole thing out of court. The police say there is no record of this incident. If anyone has better ways to search records or ideas on how to dig up this old information that would be wonderful.

I decided to hold off on a letter to the Times Union. They have been so good to us and no matter how I tried to write it it came off as somehow blaming the people of Warsaw. They are as hand tied as I am. I believe there are many many locals who know there is something wrong at Hephzibah house, but nothing overtly criminal, there is no justifiable avenue for them to report ~ much like the people around the Turpin children.

Plus, I think there are much better ideas here to pursue right now!

It definitely seems there is something going on. In past years the Fire Inspector there and the State Rep have both told us that they consider Ron Williams a personal friend. I would not be surprised at al of he was padding purses. He holds a lot of land, far more assets than he is claiming and he has always skimmed and cheated financially. I can attest to small pilfering things we know he did, but I believe that a man dishonest in the small things is dishonest in every way.

Padding individual purses isn't even necessary, sadly, for folks like Williams, a dependable and generous political donor, to exert influence up through and including over the legislative process.

One clue that such influence is being wielded behind the scene is if a seemingly non-controversial bill is well on the way to passage, or has already passed one legislative chamber, but then dies for no apparent or explicable reason in committee.

I've seen how that works first hand in my state, and in fact, was in one instance indirectly involved in it happening. DH works for an extremely wealthy and equally powerful fellow, who has his own personal lobbyist to represent his interests in our state legislature. The House had already passed a particular bill, unanimously, and it had landed in the relevant Senate committee.

My DH & I had personally appealed to his boss to help stop the bill in any way he could. I can't go into details, but will just say that the bill was underwritten by medical insurance companies, and though masked as an innocuous measure, it would have deprived thousands in my state of adequate medical care.

He was sympathetic & willing to help. What he did was to send his personal lobbyist (a $1,000 an hour man), gratis, to "speak" to the committee chair. No one else on the committee was aware of those conversations. She killed the bill.
The bill's sponsors in both House and Senate never did figure out what happened.

Even though the outcome in that instance was a "victory" and a huge relief, it was also extremely troubling and disillusioning. That exercise of that kind of behind the scenes influence, available only to the wealthy & powerful, is how folks like Williams stay in business, and remain unaccountable.

IMO, the curiously similar legislative history of the 3 failed attempts by the US Congress to pass an unobjectionable, common-sense bill (that would [in essence] have required overseers of private institutions to report child abuse, and to allow those being kept there to report it themselves) suggests that in the short-term, anyway, looking to DC for any help or solution is tilting at windmills.

I have tried. I know for a fact there were lawsuits and investigations but we cannot find any records. There was a huge investigation when I was a student. A girl escaped and when she was sent to he mother, her mother saw her severely scarred behind and how thin she was and called CPS and the police in Evansville IN. She said both agencies took dozens of pictures and she was able to name 8 girls that she knew were being abused. (I was one she named) Armed with this the Evansville task forced showed up at Hephzibah armed with warrants and Williams met them at the door and said he had closed down and those 8 named girls had been returned home. A few of those girls had been returned home, but I along with several others were removed to a church and kept hidden there for two days. The Evansville police reported back to the girl who escaped that she had closed down Hephzibah House with her bravery. My parents (in MN) were never informed of this investigation where I was named as a victim. I was never told about this, of course. The interesting thing is that both the Warsaw or Winona Lake police dept and the Evansville police dept supposedly collaborated on this investigation, yet there is absolutely no record. The local police claimed there was a fire and records were lost, so we travelled to Evansville in person to request the records of that investigation (me as a person supposedly named as a victim) and they could find not records.
Same with a big sting in the early 90's. There are witnesses that Don and Ron Williams were taken away in a police car. All the students were dispersed to a church in Ohio where they were held until they could be sent home. It was a sexual accusation we know because supporting churches held prayer vigils on Williams behalf and have told us that they were told it was a false accusation and to pray for the Williams. There is no police record of this anywhere that we can find.
There is also an incident with the man who lived across a little creek behind Hephzibah House. He told us that girls would escape and come to hime for help regularly, but Williams had explained that these girls were dangerous and disturbed and asked him to call him directly if a girl came to him. He said he did this for several girls until one day a girl showed up saying she had been raped over there. He called the police. He was quite upset when he told us the story and said with disgust that Williams and his lawyer settled the whole thing out of court. The police say there is no record of this incident. If anyone has better ways to search records or ideas on how to dig up this old information that would be wonderful.

If there were lawsuits, they have to exist on the dockets of whatever court (s) with jurisdiction, even if the records were sealed. Do you know in which jurisdictions the lawsuits were filed?

I would really love to figure out just how much property he owns. I think it is hidden under his kids names and possibly some trusts. We found a Saylor Family Trust connected with Hephzibah house and some property and Saylor is the name of an old staff person, but we could not figure out anything else.

It seems the address of 508 School St., Winona Lake, IN is under the name of GC. Do you know the relationship of this person to Williams if any.

I don't know if I can give the name here. Just plug in the address at the link.

https://hauziz.com

Hi disgruntled,

Here’s the Accessors Search page for Kosciusko County. You can search here for properties/parcels by last name or by a business name.
You can also search other counties in IN as well using the drop down box on the main page.

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/?site=KosciuskoCountyIN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems the address of 508 School St., Winona Lake, IN is under the name of GC. Do you know the relationship of this person to Williams if any.

That name rings a bell, let me check....

I wasn’t able to find any other lawsuits against HH or the Believer’s Church on the in.gov site other than the one from ‘94 that I posted here last night.

I did find a more recent case with a conviction of child abuse against a (DW) in the next bordering county to the north, Allen Co.

Not a lot of info on it other than the man is white and is in his early 50’s. Not sure if this could be the same person or not? The last name is a very common name though.

I did take a screen shot and have the link as well if you think I should post it here?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The age fits and the timing. Can you send the link to me in a PM?

I feel so helpless, but am amazed at how much some of you have been able to do already!

If there were lawsuits, they have to exist on the dockets of whatever court (s) with jurisdiction, even if the records were sealed. Do you know in which jurisdictions the lawsuits were filed?

Winona Lake IN, Warsaw IN Koskiosko co IN

How interesting, that is a fairly recent change of ownership, to Ron Williams new wife. Very interesting that it is still listed under her maiden name( or that it ever was listed that way).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back