IN IN - Diamond Bynum, 21, & King Walker, 2, Gary, 25 July 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sorry Pink, I'm having lots of WS posting problems so can't go back and multi quote.

I do think it is "possible" that the gas station "might" be the one where she pilfered food from but we have no way of knowing. It could have just as easily been that she did that back in Hammond where she used to live. They've only lived in Gary since Feb 2015, and it was reported she didn't know her way around. That doesn't mean she couldn't have walked there previously "by herself." (I forgot to figure out how far of a walk it would be from their house to the gas station). That would be a good question to ask. Has she ever walked anywhere in the area "by herself," and if so, where? One would think if she was accompanied by her step-mom or dad that she wouldn't have an occasion to pilfer food, but anything is possible.

I do seem to recall reading that LE does finally have the tape/video and I believe it is "still" being analyzed and that the family doesn't have results yet.

Addendum: 8-24-15 - Dad posts on the Family FB page that LE has the video and are analyzing it.

JMO IMOO, etc

Sorry Pink, I'm having lots of WS posting problems so can't go back and multi quote.

I do think it is "possible" that the gas station "might" be the one where she pilfered food from but we have no way of knowing. It could have just as easily been that she did that back in Hammond where she used to live. They've only lived in Gary since Feb 2015, and it was reported she didn't know her way around. That doesn't mean she couldn't have walked there previously "by herself." (I forgot to figure out how far of a walk it would be from their house to the gas station). That would be a good question to ask. Has she ever walked anywhere in the area "by herself," and if so, where? One would think if she was accompanied by her step-mom or dad that she wouldn't have an occasion to pilfer food, but anything is possible.

I do seem to recall reading that LE does finally have the tape/video and I believe it is "still" being analyzed and that the family doesn't have results yet.

Addendum: 8-24-15 - Dad posts on the Family FB page that LE has the video and are analyzing it.

JMO IMOO, etc

I'm having problems also its not just u!

If this young lady was taking food I don't think she would be a good shoplifter I think she would just take it she dosent know she is doing anything wrong and I think LE would be called numerous times

There were rumored sightings of her spotted back in Hammond where they used to live. I don't believe any of those have panned out, but does she have the verbal communication skills to talk her way into a ride back there or to get on a bus with the baby and ask to be taken there? Anyone know off the top of their head how far it is from Hammond to Gary?

Addendum: Apparently there were two sightings back in Hammond.

JMO IMOO, etc

I wonder how long it will take to be analyzed. Am I right in assuming they are having to see what can be retrieved from the deleted data?

Correct! But it hasn't been confirmed (to my knowledge) that the data was actually deleted. My guess is it was.

Dad posted on 8-24-15 that LE has the tape. That may or may not be the actual day they received it, but close to - on or about 8-24-15. Today is 10-14-15. That is 7 weeks and 2 days they've had it if we go with 8-24-15.

We have to figure in whether or not they are analyzing it internally or if they had to send it out to someone and how long did that take to get it there and assign it and begin.

I know the family is waiting on pins and needles as I would be. I would hope there was a "rush job" on this as it involves one mentally challenged young lady and an innocent 2 year old baby! Grrr

oh thanks it also states she graduated high school so she is functioning at a higher level than i expected.

Yep i'm thinking social media will have more leads.

FWIW, Dad posted on 9-21-15 that Diamond could not read when asked if she may have met someone online.

and

Diamond's disability makes it a struggle for her to communicate and for others to understand her, family members said.

"She cannot find her way home. Somebody has to be housing her," Daisy Bynum said.

Diamond's and King's ability to communicate is one of the Bynum family's biggest concerns because they believe they are lost. Diamond, who walks with a distinct limp, doesn't know her way around Gary. The family moved to Gary in February.

"I don't even think she knows how to ask for help or how to say, 'We're lost' or even ask to use the phone and that's what makes it difficult," Walker said, who added King isn't able to alert someone that he was in trouble but knows words like "mom" and "papa."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ary-missing-bynum-st-0804-20150803-story.html

So troubling that they haven't been found. How is she surviving? Someone has to have them...

This may not sound plausible, but let's throw it out there.

Is there a way for someone to check with Medicaid (or other agencies) to see if there have been any new recent requests for monetary or other benefits for an addition (or two) to a family (or perhaps even a first time request) in case someone is voluntarily housing them and benefiting by utilizing any appropriated govt. benefits? (Not sure if that's possible without ID but one never knows). Not sure if Diamond currently receives any or is eligible or if an additional child (King) might be eligible but, it's just a thought that crossed my mind....

Just a thought here...

FWIW, Dad posted on 9-21-15 that Diamond could not read when asked if she may have met someone online.

and

Diamond's disability makes it a struggle for her to communicate and for others to understand her, family members said.

"She cannot find her way home. Somebody has to be housing her," Daisy Bynum said.

Diamond's and King's ability to communicate is one of the Bynum family's biggest concerns because they believe they are lost. Diamond, who walks with a distinct limp, doesn't know her way around Gary. The family moved to Gary in February.

"I don't even think she knows how to ask for help or how to say, 'We're lost' or even ask to use the phone and that's what makes it difficult," Walker said, who added King isn't able to alert someone that he was in trouble but knows words like "mom" and "papa."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ary-missing-bynum-st-0804-20150803-story.html

So troubling that they haven't been found. How is she surviving? Someone has to have them...

Dad (Eugene) said Diamond knows how to call home.

Eugene Bynum said his daughter has always known his phone number and knows she would call him if she had access to a phone.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_8a703ad2-5b72-5641-8802-32c1fe5626b6.html

I'll raise that one...:)

Within the same link I provided, I didn't see this at the time I copied/pasted:

"Daisy said when she last talked on the phone with Diamond she had plans to see her to celebrate her dad's July 27 birthday and get gifts from her grandmother.

"She gets presents for anybody's birthday," Daisy Bynum said. "I asked her what she wanted me to bring her and she said she wanted soap that smelled good and some chocolate milk.":fence:

Here's what I think,

I think DB has "limited" communication skills with some difficulty making herself understood and/or communicating at a higher level, perhaps with others or strangers. If she truly functions at the age of a 5-7 year old, then yes, I can see her answering pretty general conversational type questions about what she likes or dislikes or responding to questions that she understands with people she is familiar with.

Her parents/siblings/great grandma have had 21 years to get used to communicating with and understanding her and how to interact with her. Strangers may have difficulty simply because they do not have that same history or a willingness to make the effort to understand or communicate with a "challenged" individual. I try to imagine her walking up to a bus and asking the driver to take her somewhere and just can't imagine it. She may have done just that, though! I don't know!

I think the entire family may want to just stress that she is developmentally challenged and needs to be found, not only due to her own medication needs and deficiencies but moreso because she has a 2-year-old with her who can't communicate either! Two children out there - alone. Uggghh!

Not sure how many are closely following the FB family page, but Dad actually posted on 8-29-15 (where he talks about a news conference he did with Fox) that the state of Indiana doctor evaluated his dtr. & what that doctor told him about his daughter. It lines up with what he's been saying all along, and if true, it solidifies for me that she functions at a much lower level and not that of a 12th grader, regardless whether she graduated from high school or not.

I also seem to remember that someone previously posted/linked that DB had a FB page, yet apparently she cannot read.

Was it really DB's own FB page? Don't know! Have to go back and revisit that.

Here's what I think,

I think DB has "limited" communication skills with some difficulty making herself understood and/or communicating at a higher level, perhaps with others or strangers. If she truly functions at the age of a 5-7 year old, then yes, I can see her answering pretty general conversational type questions about what she likes or dislikes or responding to questions that she understands with people she is familiar with.

Her parents/siblings/great grandma have had 21 years to get used to communicating with and understanding her and how to interact with her. Strangers may have difficulty simply because they do not have that same history or a willingness to make the effort to understand or communicate with a "challenged" individual. I try to imagine her walking up to a bus and asking the driver to take her somewhere and just can't imagine it. She may have done just that, though! I don't know!

I think the entire family may want to just stress that she is developmentally challenged and needs to be found, not only due to her own medication needs and deficiencies but moreso because she has a 2-year-old with her who can't communicate either! Two children out there - alone. Uggghh!

Not sure how many are closely following the FB family page, but Dad actually posted on 8-29-15 (where he talks about a news conference he did with Fox) that the state of Indiana doctor evaluated his dtr. & what that doctor told him about his daughter. It lines up with what he's been saying all along, and if true, it solidifies for me that she functions at a much lower level and not that of a 12th grader, regardless whether she graduated from high school or not.

I also seem to remember that someone previously posted/linked that DB had a FB page, yet apparently she cannot read.

Was it really DB's own FB page? Don't know! Have to go back and revisit that.

I think your assessment is correct. Diamond's FB page has absolutely nothing on it besides when she graduated. You can see her friends list, which has mainly family on it.

I was trying to think of ways to help (without any input whatsoever from family/spokesperson).

If the family previously lived in Hammond and moved to Gary in Feb '15, it appears it's only 6.94 miles or a 12-13 minute drive.

There were two "alleged" sightings (not confirmed to my knowledge) of her being seen where they used to live - one near where they used to live and another at a bus stop.

http://mapq.st/1RJ6pJu

Is it possible she had the cognitive ability to make it there on her own via bus or otherwise? Would she know how to hitchhike? If someone did pick her up and offer to give her a ride, would she be able to say, "I want to go back to Hammond where I used to live and/or give an actual address?"

Even if all that occurred, where would/could she go once she got there? We would need to know where at in Hammond they lived and/or who, if anyone, she would seek out.

Does anyone know that area of Hammond or how to help determine possible places she could be eating or staying?

Has anyone read that they have distributed flyers back in Hammond where they used to live or at any/all restaurants, WalMarts, churches, bus stops, etc.?

If that has already been addressed, then it would be nice to know and move on to other ideas. If not, we can perhaps work together to compile a list of fast food places, stores, homeless shelters, etc. etc. with addresses and perhaps see if folks can assist with poster distribution.

JMO, IMOO

I was searching for this article about the bus stop sighting in Hammond:

Hammond police said Thursday that a missing developmentally disabled Gary woman and her 2-year-old nephew may have been seen July 31 at a Hammond bus stop.

Lt. Richard Hoyda said in a release that Diamond Bynum may have been seen asking people for food. Hoyda said someone at the bus stop may have given her $50.

Further, King's mother & Diamond's sister said:

King's mom, Ariana Walker, said Diamond was able to go on walks when the family lived in Hammond because she knew the area, and if she got lost the people of the neighborhood would help her.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ng-woman-sighting-st-0807-20150806-story.html

I saw upthread that someone had a quote (from I think Diamond's father) that she could also be a danger to herself. I think that could be a general statement because she is physically disabled/cognitive disability, or it could be that she is also on the autism spectrum. If she has prader-willi syndrome, which it really sounds like, autism often accompanies it. She might head-bang, or some other "endangering" symptom without medication. Just a thought.

and

I guess now I'm having trouble with why she was allowed to be "responsible for" the little King if she is this challenged? I thought I read earlier that she was on about a 2nd grade/7yo level. A 7yo could definitely talk, communicate, possibly even dial home or 911. Maybe not read and write, but at least say their names or parents' names. I know stepmom said she put "them" down for a nap, but then they say Diamond loves to be "responsible" for the little ones. Kinda scary...

I guess now I'm having trouble with why she was allowed to be "responsible for" the little King if she is this challenged? I thought I read earlier that she was on about a 2nd grade/7yo level. A 7yo could definitely talk, communicate, possibly even dial home or 911. Maybe not read and write, but at least say their names or parents' names. I know stepmom said she put "them" down for a nap, but then they say Diamond loves to be "responsible" for the little ones. Kinda scary...

I don't think she was allowed to be responsible for him, in a literal sense, I think they probably let her play with him and she feels like she's taking care of him, but I don't think they would let her be "responsible" for him without others around, if that makes sense. I just took it as she likes to help taking care of King.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead
Back