IN - Four sisters, ages 5-11, die in Flora house fire, Nov 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think the Delphi case shows - not for the first time! - that the usual suspects are not who the real culprit turns to be. (Can't predict, but my intuition tells me that the same will be true with the Moscow case).

I think the same might happen with Flora. LE implies that GR might know more - what if she doesn't? She obviously was so scared and depressed that she moved away. I can't believe that LE can't find anyone, maybe from a Californian group, who would be able to sit down with GR and talk normally to her, in a human way. She wants justice for her girls, she is just hopeless. It has to be done. Four girls, and it never became as big a case as the Delphi one. It should have been.

I‘m really late on this reply but I didn’t get the impression LE expected GR to simply hand over a name of the arsonist to LE to make their job easier. They would want to know from her who she was associated with, who visited her house, who might’ve had a grievance with her, etc so they could look at the circle of people in her life at that time. That’s always where an investigation begins because odds are the arsonist was someone she knew or someone who knew of her. I have to wonder why she wasn’t willing to work with LE. If it involved fear it could either be fear of LE or fear of retaliation from parties she might name. JMO

I‘m really late on this reply but I didn’t get the impression LE expected GR to simply hand over a name of the arsonist to LE to make their job easier. They would want to know from her who she was associated with, who visited her house, who might’ve had a grievance with her, etc so they could look at the circle of people in her life at that time. That’s always where an investigation begins because odds are the arsonist was someone she knew or someone who knew of her. I have to wonder why she wasn’t willing to work with LE. If it involved fear it could either be fear of LE or fear of retaliation from parties she might name. JMO

Could be fear, could be PTSD, or maybe she is so hopeless that she is simply living in passivity, whatever happens.

Watched this on tv last night. The second story was confusing because of the upstairs landing. It was all very intense. I hope they find out who was responsible for the fire.

Watched this on tv last night. The second story was confusing because of the upstairs landing. It was all very intense. I hope they find out who was responsible for the fire.
I'm glad GR was allowed to have a say in whether this footage was released. The only way I see this helping find the arsonists is if someone who knows something sees it and is gut-wrenched into talking. I hope they find the person responsible too.

I cannot access this article in my region. Can someone give a synopsis? TIA

I cannot access this article in my region. Can someone give a synopsis? TIA
It's brutal.

One responding police officer could bot get through the toxic fumes and raced to the firehouse to don fire gear, if I understand it correctly. They just couldn't get to the girls in time. Awful, awful, awful.

JMO

When Yoder went back inside the second time, I wonder what happened:

"Crawling on hands and knees, Yoder and Disinger went back through the front door. Smoke was pouring through the door and visible flames were starting to work toward the cops from the back of the house.

Inside just two minutes, something went gone wrong."

“Someone! Help! (screaming).”

I'm glad GR was allowed to have a say in whether this footage was released. The only way I see this helping find the arsonists is if someone who knows something sees it and is gut-wrenched into talking. I hope they find the person responsible too.

I hope they find who was responsible too. It seems like this house was a fire trap especially with no working smoke detectors. If the deaths of the four girls was deliberately intended that’s why I think it’s likely the perp must’ve been familiar with the layout of the interior of the home. JMO

I hope they find who was responsible too. It seems like this house was a fire trap especially with no working smoke detectors. If the deaths of the four girls was deliberately intended that’s why I think it’s likely the perp must’ve been familiar with the layout of the interior of the home. JMO
I'd have to look back, but I believe DC said they do not believe the girls' deaths were intentional, but the fire was started intentionally. I would imagine the charge would be similar to Delphi, maybe, with what is essentially felony murder? What do you think?

I'd have to look back, but I believe DC said they do not believe the girls' deaths were intentional, but the fire was started intentionally. I would imagine the charge would be similar to Delphi, maybe, with what is essentially felony murder? What do you think?

Yes I think it would be, assuming the act of arson is considered a felony subject to no ”wobble”.

“Indiana doesn't divide arson into degrees, but the state does have different felony levels for arson offenses. Level 2 is the highest level for arson and carries the highest penalties and Level 6 is the least serious offense with the least severe penalties. It's considered a "wobbler" offense, which means that the crime can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.”

Indiana has a smoke detector law for rentals. Landlords have a form for their tenants to fill out, verifying there are working ones in the dwelling at the time of move-in.

Tenants are generally responsible for replacing batteries and are notorious for removing them and not replacing them. Smoke detectors are really inexpensive and if a tenant did have a bad landlord, the tenant could still buy at least one and nail it to the wall.

I don't remember if this landlord had any legal charges against him regarding the smoke detectors.

Indiana has a smoke detector law for rentals. Landlords have a form for their tenants to fill out, verifying there are working ones in the dwelling at the time of move-in.

Tenants are generally responsible for replacing batteries and are notorious for removing them and not replacing them. Smoke detectors are really inexpensive and if a tenant did have a bad landlord, the tenant could still buy at least one and nail it to the wall.

I don't remember if this landlord had any legal charges against him regarding the smoke detectors.

I don’t recall any charges being laid not have I noticed any news reports regarding the status of this wrongful death lawsuit.

“….While the federal product liability claims go away, Rose will continue to pursue a "wrongful death lawsuit" against her former landlords.
The home she rented was owned by Birch Tree Holdings, a company operated by former Flora City Councilman Joshua Ayers and his business partner Troy Helderman.

According to that lawsuit, Ayers, Helderman and Birch Tree Holdings, LLC failed "to provide a safe and habitable property." and "acted with gross negligence."
At the core of the complaint are allegations that the landlords failed to install, replace or repair smoke detectors as required by Indiana Code 22-11-18-3.5, which requires landlords and property owners to provide working smoke detectors.
The lawsuit claims, "As a result of the failure to equip the Property with any functioning smoke detectors, Rose's four minor children ...died from smoke inhalation.

Rose, who faced questions herself about the fire said her landlords' negligence is to blame for the death of her girls. She also said she raised questions about malfunctioning electrical outlets in the kitchen and a non-locking back door. Efforts to repair the outlets and a leaky kitchen ceiling two weeks before the fire were reportedly unsuccessful, according to Rose…..”

@MistyWaters This one is still ongoing; in it, a federal lawsuit is referenced:

Property-Owners Insurance Company, Owners Insurance Company v. Joshua Ayres, Melissa Ayres, Gaylin Rose
Case Number 08C01-1904-PL-000007
Court Carroll Circuit Court
Type PL - Civil Plenary
Filed 04/04/2019
Status 04/04/2019 , Pending (active)

The reference to the federal case:
"Defendants Joshua Ayres and Melissa Ayres (collectively, the “Ayres”), by counsel Jonathan A. Bont, hereby files their notice with this court regarding the status of the federal lawsuit. The court in the federal lawsuit denied the Defendants’ Motions to Reconsider the Court’s Entry on Summary Judgment. A settlement conference has been set for December 7, 2022."

Here is the federal case. I haven't been following either one. The only things this one shows is a change of address for 2 individuals whose names I'm not familiar with.

As to why the mother has quite talking it may be related to the confusing nature of what a FD investigation found, the state investigator and a private investigator have individually come up with.

Later this comes out and ISP Superintendent Carter quits talking to the public about it.

As to why the mother has quite talking it may be related to the confusing nature of what a FD investigation found, the state investigator and a private investigator have individually come up with.

Later this comes out and ISP Superintendent Carter quits talking to the public about it.

Wow! So this tells me it was not arson so there was no crime committed. Why is this still being swept under the rug by the ISP (who refuses to talk about it anymore) when all of this info came out years ago??

Wow! So this tells me it was not arson so there was no crime committed. Why is this still being swept under the rug by the ISP (who refuses to talk about it anymore) when all of this info came out years ago??
I think this is how that issue was concluded:
Posted: Jun 22, 2017 / 04:44 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 22, 2017 / 10:09 PM EDT

"After further investigation, it was discovered that accelerants were only found in one part of the home, which means there’s only one place where the fire started."

I think this is how that issue was concluded:
Posted: Jun 22, 2017 / 04:44 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 22, 2017 / 10:09 PM EDT

"After further investigation, it was discovered that accelerants were only found in one part of the home, which means there’s only one place where the fire started."

That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jangelyn
Back