IN - Four sisters, ages 5-11, die in Flora house fire, Nov 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The dv most likely an impression I got. She did waive service later on and they were divorced about 6 months later. Thanks for the link.
I always found the timing of that divorce filing, and especially the unclaimed return, a little suspicious. It could be totally unrelated, for sure, but just something that stands out in my mind always. I have a whole other theory that involves the landlord's cousin, whose wife lived immediately next door at the time, and they were separated due to serious DV issues, including strangulation. But that's another story altogether. :)

I always found the timing of that divorce filing, and especially the unclaimed return, a little suspicious. It could be totally unrelated, for sure, but just something that stands out in my mind always. I have a whole other theory that involves the landlord's cousin, whose wife lived immediately next door at the time, and they were separated due to serious DV issues, including strangulation. But that's another story altogether. :)
Interesting. I had not heard about the cousin. I did think maybe the ex wanted that marriage dissolved asap and that could be a motive for him. JMO.

The civil cases are getting interesting:
First the Carroll Co case:
Property-Owners Insurance Company, Owners Insurance Company v. Joshua Ayres, Melissa Ayres, Gaylin Rose
08C01-1904-PL-000007 Carroll Circuit Court

Then the federal case
Rose v. Birch Tree Holdings, LLC et al
2:18-cv-00197

Monday, November 07, 2022
minutes Settlement Conference Mon 11/07 3:24 PM
ZOOM SETTLEMENT CONFERENCE held 11/7/2022 before Magistrate Judge John E Martin. Pla Gaylin Rose appeared by attyS Faith Alvarez, Nathaniel Lee. Dft Birch Tree Holdings appeared by atty James Shea, Jeremy Lemon. Joshua Ayres appeared by atty Jonathon Bont. Troy Helderman appeared by atty Jonathan Halm., Misc Party Auto Owners Insurance Company appear by attys David Taylor, Dale Lehman. ZOOM Settlement Conference con't to 12/7/2022 10:30 AM Central before Magistrate Judge John E Martin. No further confidential memos are needed. Parties to receive their zoom link within 48 hours in advance of the conference. (smb)

The civil cases are getting interesting:
First the Carroll Co case:
Property-Owners Insurance Company, Owners Insurance Company v. Joshua Ayres, Melissa Ayres, Gaylin Rose
08C01-1904-PL-000007 Carroll Circuit Court

Then the federal case
Rose v. Birch Tree Holdings, LLC et al
2:18-cv-00197

Monday, November 07, 2022
minutes Settlement Conference Mon 11/07 3:24 PM
ZOOM SETTLEMENT CONFERENCE held 11/7/2022 before Magistrate Judge John E Martin. Pla Gaylin Rose appeared by attyS Faith Alvarez, Nathaniel Lee. Dft Birch Tree Holdings appeared by atty James Shea, Jeremy Lemon. Joshua Ayres appeared by atty Jonathon Bont. Troy Helderman appeared by atty Jonathan Halm., Misc Party Auto Owners Insurance Company appear by attys David Taylor, Dale Lehman. ZOOM Settlement Conference con't to 12/7/2022 10:30 AM Central before Magistrate Judge John E Martin. No further confidential memos are needed. Parties to receive their zoom link within 48 hours in advance of the conference. (smb)
So the insurance company is suing the landlord and the mother ? Did they pay out to the them ? I don't understand why they would sue them unless they lost something.

So the insurance company is suing the landlord and the mother ? Did they pay out to the them ? I don't understand why they would sue them unless they lost something.
I don't know. There may be something in the case that addresses that. Civil cases turn my brain to mush after the first 15 minutes of reading so I haven't dug into that one.

What the ins co filed is a Complaint for Declaratory Judgement, in essence asking the Court to rule on what responsibility for compensation they have, if any, linked to the Rose vs Birch Tree Holdings lawsuit.

What the ins co filed is a Complaint for Declaratory Judgement, in essence asking the Court to rule on what responsibility for compensation they have, if any, linked to the Rose vs Birch Tree Holdings lawsuit.

Thanks because I surely did not understand what was going on.

Yeah, I think if the family isn't cooperative, it might be because they don't trust LE. For whatever reason. It compounds the sadness of the case.

1) I think mistrust could be an issue
2) They were a tiny minority in Indiana. That, too.
3) I think the Delphi case made GR even more scared. Just in general of what happens in that area.
4) Plus, she most probably has severe PTSD, poor woman.
All MOO.

LE need to solve that case. It will be hard, but they have more experience now.

This is a sad interview. GR talks about what her life is like, why she left, etc. The highlighting is mine.
Here are a few quotes:
[snips]
Asked if she has any idea or suspicion about who could have set that fire, Rose replied, “No. Nope. I would never think a person… would want to set me on fire.”

She continued, “I sometimes think that as the probe goes on and on, the less that they think about it and the more they can just sweep it under the rug.”

Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby denied our request to speak with Deputy Drew Yoder, who was hospitalized for weeks after three failed attempts to enter the burning building to rescue the girls. Leazenby also nixed an interview with Flora Fire Chief Todd Trent.

We submitted a request to speak with the lead investigator. State Police Superintendent Doug Carter shot that down.

In a brief interview with FOX59 reporter Max Lewis, Carter offered this cryptic comment about the Flora investigation, “There’s a couple pieces that we need and those that know what those pieces are know what I mean so I’ll leave it at that.”

by: Steve Brown — Chief Investigator
Posted: Nov 21, 2022 / 09:50 PM EST
Updated: Nov 21, 2022 / 10:55 PM EST

This is a sad interview. GR talks about what her life is like, why she left, etc. The highlighting is mine.
Here are a few quotes:
[snips]
Asked if she has any idea or suspicion about who could have set that fire, Rose replied, “No. Nope. I would never think a person… would want to set me on fire.”

She continued, “I sometimes think that as the probe goes on and on, the less that they think about it and the more they can just sweep it under the rug.”

Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby denied our request to speak with Deputy Drew Yoder, who was hospitalized for weeks after three failed attempts to enter the burning building to rescue the girls. Leazenby also nixed an interview with Flora Fire Chief Todd Trent.

We submitted a request to speak with the lead investigator. State Police Superintendent Doug Carter shot that down.

In a brief interview with FOX59 reporter Max Lewis, Carter offered this cryptic comment about the Flora investigation, “There’s a couple pieces that we need and those that know what those pieces are know what I mean so I’ll leave it at that.”

by: Steve Brown — Chief Investigator
Posted: Nov 21, 2022 / 09:50 PM EST
Updated: Nov 21, 2022 / 10:55 PM EST

Sadly because of the breakdown in the relationship between the mother and LE, this case may be forever at a standstill. Rose’s comment from your post that she suspects no one “Asked if she has any idea or suspicion about who could have set that fire, Rose replied, “No. Nope. I would never think a person… would want to set me on fire.” leads me to wonder if it’s connected to DC’s comment from three weeks ago.

BBM
…..“It's important for us to know who comes and goes, who went from that residence over a period of time," Carter added. "But I hope ... I hope people let their conscience be their guide because that's what it'll take. We can't just make it happen.”

Sadly because of the breakdown in the relationship between the mother and LE, this case may be forever at a standstill. Rose’s comment from your post that she suspects no one “Asked if she has any idea or suspicion about who could have set that fire, Rose replied, “No. Nope. I would never think a person… would want to set me on fire.” leads me to wonder if it’s connected to DC’s comment from three weeks ago.

BBM
…..“It's important for us to know who comes and goes, who went from that residence over a period of time," Carter added. "But I hope ... I hope people let their conscience be their guide because that's what it'll take. We can't just make it happen.”
MOO. If no one loved those little girls enough to cooperate with LE, then that should have made LE all that more determined to seek justice for them. If the family have no idea who might have set the fire, then there is nothing more they can do. Flora is a very small town and the local cops likely know everyone who comes and goes. There was the issue at the Pizza King on the opposite corner that had their attention; plus and insurance agency right beside them on the other corner. I'm pretty sure the insurance company would have been aware of traffic going in and out of the home and if they suspected shady stuff going one, they would have notified LE.

I can't find any good reason why the paper was not allowed to talk to the persons they requested to interview.

MOO. If no one loved those little girls enough to cooperate with LE, then that should have made LE all that more determined to seek justice for them. If the family have no idea who might have set the fire, then there is nothing more they can do. Flora is a very small town and the local cops likely know everyone who comes and goes. There was the issue at the Pizza King on the opposite corner that had their attention; plus and insurance agency right beside them on the other corner. I'm pretty sure the insurance company would have been aware of traffic going in and out of the home and if they suspected shady stuff going one, they would have notified LE.

I can't find any good reason why the paper was not allowed to talk to the persons they requested to interview.

From above link, cryptic indeed.

“In a brief interview with FOX59 reporter Max Lewis, Carter offered this cryptic comment about the Flora investigation, “There’s a couple pieces that we need and those that know what those pieces are know what I mean so I’ll leave it at that.”…..”

I think the Delphi case shows - not for the first time! - that the usual suspects are not who the real culprit turns to be. (Can't predict, but my intuition tells me that the same will be true with the Moscow case).

I think the same might happen with Flora. LE implies that GR might know more - what if she doesn't? She obviously was so scared and depressed that she moved away. I can't believe that LE can't find anyone, maybe from a Californian group, who would be able to sit down with GR and talk normally to her, in a human way. She wants justice for her girls, she is just hopeless. It has to be done. Four girls, and it never became as big a case as the Delphi one. It should have been.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back