IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, if he ‘presented her’ to the open window, in the same way he is ‘presenting her’ to the ‘Charlie Brown’ ice-hockey figure, she must have felt very scared when she looked ahead/down.

In this particular picture, he doesn’t even have an arm around her...it looks as if she is ‘riding’ on his forearms ( although I do note it appears that his hand is gripping firm hold of her leg ).
I think after standing her on the handrailing, he had her ride his forearm exactly like in the Charlie Brown picture and then sat her on the handrailing with his arm loosely around her just balancing her. He leaned forward with her in front of him, pushed her behind off the railing, she slipped through his arm that wasn’t really holding on to her at all and disappeared out the window. Tragic.

It’s this picture I find strange.
There is Chloe standing behind GF alone, almost ignored, while GF is getting all the attention, giving a lot of attention to a dog.
I saw Chloe with a wrinkled brow, she’s not happy, maybe frightened with her arms out.

View attachment 218241 View attachment 218242

Grandfather of girl who fell from cruise ship, Chloe Wiegand, speaks

Personally, what I see is a child on a mission to get over there and touch the dog. MOO

@oviedo...Winkleman already refuted that eyewitness account of the incident by saying the way the railing is curved, it may have appeared that Chloe was on the window.

My question about the windows was how do passengers open and close the windows without going past the railing, and is that against the cruiseline's safety regulations (going on the window side of the rail).

BTW, if I'm making posting mistakes I'm sorry, I haven't been on this site for years and have to get up to speed, but I missed this site greatly!

Last edited:
This is what the Fundly says about the Chloe fundraiser that was set up months ago: "We are raising money to help the family with funeral, travel, and legal expenses." While only recently since around the time the video was turned over a new raise on FundRazr came out that among other things says: "Sam is a hard worker of modest means and needs help with legal and travel expenses to fight being prosecuted for a devastating and horrific accident." Curious how SA now apparently isn't apparently considered part of the family so has to pay for his own legal defense notwithstanding the $20K already raised for legal and travel expenses for the family. This is why amongst other reasons why I think Chloe's parents on some level want to see him convicted - or at least wouldn't mind if he was - even if they don't say so publicly.
I looked at the Fundrazr page for SA and it says they've raised 98% of their fundraising goal of $5,000. Only $5,000 for a legal defense fund? That would barely cover a criminal lawyer's initial retainer.

I think it's wrong to charge the grandfather. To me, anyways, it's clear it was an accident.
You could easily get distracted with what's going on in a cruise ship, or even just talking to someone nearby... and not even realize the danger. And if you don't have super good eyesight. Perfect storm.
They're (LE) are charging him just so they (the cruise ship) doesn't have to pay out imo.
I think SA was so extremely negligent sitting a small child on a barrier clearly meant to keep people a reasonable distance from windows that open and not at all for sitting and standing, and he absolutely should have known the window was open like any reasonable person would have (for all the reasons: the noise, the breeze, the lack of tint and total clarity), I think being charged is appropriate. I also think he should be found guilty. I also believe any prison time should be minimal at best, maybe no prison time. I believe the guy is tormented. But I also think he should be held up as being legally responsible for her death, and not the cruise line. This “fix the boat” “I’m not at fault” narrative makes me very angry.

SA should make a plea deal that involves him apologizing because his actions cost a little baby her life, and do what he can to make amends.

@oviedo...Winkleman already refuted that eyewitness account of the incident by saying the way the railing is curved, it appeared that Chloe was on the window.

My question about the windows was how do passengers open and close the windows without going past the railing, and is that against the cruiseline's safety regulations (going on the window side of the rail).

BTW, if I'm making posting mistakes I'm sorry, I haven't been on this site for years and have to get up to speed, but I missed this site greatly!
Yes, I wondered about that, too. Is the railing there so that passengers do not open the windows? It's about a foot from the window so it would make sense that it's there for that reason.
I've never been on a cruise before. Is opening the windows something that is prohibited? Are there signs that say do not open the windows or are passengers free to open any window they want to? Why was that the only open window?

Imo

@oviedo...Winkleman already refuted that eyewitness account of the incident by saying the way the railing is curved, it may have appeared that Chloe was on the window.

I think they just reach over and pull on the handle and drag the window open or closed. It doesn’t look like they have to climb over the barrier?

Is this the one? I had only seen part of it.
1125-en-cruisegrandfather-begnaud-1983966-640x360.jpg

This does not look a very safe way to hold a child. Most of Chloe's weight is above Grandpa's grip. If Chloe suddenly squirmed or turned to look at something, Grandpa wouldn't have been able to prevent her from falling.

I think they just reach over and pull on the handle and drag the window open or closed. It doesn’t look like they have to climb over the barrier?
No, they wouldn't have to climb over it, I don't think there is any room to get between the metal bar and the window.
Except, of course, for a small child if one decides to seat them on the ledge.
I would think the metal bar is there as a barrier but the window can still be opened just by reaching beyond it.
The grandfather said something like his mistake was when he was holding her and took one arm off her but his real mistake was placing her over the metal bar in the first place.

Imo

I think it's more likely that this was going to be viewed as a tragic accident until the family (and specifically the attorney) started calling attention to it, which both got the police involved, and the cruise line looking closely at the footage.
I couldn’t agree more - involving the civil lawyer just after the accident and giving those interviews (see media thread) so quickly did not help them at all IMO

The windows have inside latches (think latches facing the pool deck) and are easily accessible by passengers I’ve opened them myself - and the railing is a good 6” inside the open window ledge IMO but I will measure it next month ! I do t believe anything the attorney is saying because his accounts have also changed IMO

Yes, I wondered about that, too. Is the railing there so that passengers do not open the windows? It's about a foot from the window so it would make sense that it's there for that reason.
I've never been on a cruise before. Is opening the windows something that is prohibited? Are there signs that say do not open the windows or are passengers free to open any window they want to? Why was that the only open window?

Imo
The railing is there IMO to have a handhold when the ship hits rough waters - windows are designed for passengers to open them - I’ve never seen any signs about not opening the windows - I thought a sleuther posted early on the cruise line rules and agreement - I’m sure it’s been discussed. Regarding the only window being opened we are only hearing this from them and the pictures were taken at night so am not sure that was the only one open but it is very windy when they are opened so it’s possible there was only one open at that time of day.
JMO

Last edited:
I looked at the Fundrazr page for SA and it says they've raised 98% of their fundraising goal of $5,000. Only $5,000 for a legal defense fund? That would barely cover a criminal lawyer's initial retainer.
Is there a second third fund campaign? The one that has raised 21k has a goal of 50k. The gf me has a goal of 1k. I couldn't find any under SA's name.

Ah... okay I found it. The site really is called "fundrazr." :p So three campaigns on three different sites. Oy vey.

Anyway, I agree 5k isn't much but it's still a substantial amount to add to the kitty. Not everyone is comfortable asking for (or donating to) a high amount.

Personally, what I see is a child on a mission to get over there and touch the dog. MOO
Yeah, she has her arm out and is probably about to take a step toward the dog to pet it. It looks like she might be a little shy and is hiding behind grandpa and holding onto him with her other hand.

Imo

I think it's wrong to charge the grandfather. To me, anyways, it's clear it was an accident.
You could easily get distracted with what's going on in a cruise ship, or even just talking to someone nearby... and not even realize the danger. And if you don't have super good eyesight. Perfect storm.
They're (LE) are charging him just so they (the cruise ship) doesn't have to pay out imo.
I disagree. How can one not realise the danger, if one is looking outside the window and can see they are 11 stories high?

Holding a tiny child up alongside, up to, or on the ledge of an open window, 100 feet above concrete is obviously inherently dangerous.

Allowing oneself to become distracted while doing so is not only negligent, it is also criminally negligent, in my opinion.

To me, what you describe, as being distracted and not realising the danger, and talking to someone and then accidentally dropping the child 100 feet is much like driving 65 mph, and then deciding to text a friend, and running off the road while distracted. JMO

Here are 2 photos of SA holding Chloe, in both cases, to me, it looks like she's being held a little awkwardly. In the second one, he's holding her from underneath her. In the first one, she is seated on him but he has one arm around her also awkwardly. Maybe this is just a brief second but really from at least the photo where he's standing, she could fall. This is probably too picky of me. But I noticed this from the start because they put the new stories showed these photos from the beginning.

78b19d64-a223-400b-b488-d90cfdc273fe-IMG_1112.jpeg

f83288b5-fccc-408e-b491-27d4b27c57cc-IMG_3334.JPG

In the first picture, isn't the grandfather sitting down with Chloe on his lap and his arm is around her?

The railing is there IMO to have a handhold when the ship hits rough waters - windows are designed for passengers to open them - I’ve never seen any signs about not opening the windows - I thought a sleuther posted early on the cruise line rules and agreement - I’m sure it’s been discussed. Regarding the only window being opened we are only hearing this from them and the pictures were taken at night so am not sure that was the only one open but it is very window when they are opened so it’s possible there was only one open at that time of day.
JMO
Oh, ok, so I guess it's not a barrier at all. I thought maybe he was breaking some kind of safety rule by lifting her over it.
Also in the picture in the article that was just posted with the detectives at the scene the metal bar looks much lower than in other pictures I've seen. I thought he lifted her much higher to place her over the metal bar. In that picture it looks like it's only a couple of inches higher than the window ledge.
I'm not sure why he removed one arm from around her, then.

Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member