Found Deceased IN - Jacqueline Watts, 33, Columbus, 3 March 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not where I live. People sink and divers are sent in. Think about it... when you drown, the air in your lungs is replaced by water.

Air is what makes you float when you swim.

Dead bodies sink.

The Indy Star article says "Watts was going to drop off pets at a relatives' house in Columbus, and they grew concerned when she never arrived, Harris said."

This is the first I had heard that she hadn't made it to her folks' house. Maybe she had her dogs in the car and the windows down and they jumped out chasing an animal? My dogs have a high prey drive and can't concentrate on anything other than what they are chasing. However, I'm not sure what animal would have evaded chase by going into the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a direct quote from a sister in law that said she had dropped her dogs off at one parent's house (husbands/hers?) and took her bunny to the other set of parents' house, and was on her way home to get her husband and go to the airport.

I think the IndyStar may have the details wrong.

Not where I live. People sink and divers are sent in. Think about it... when you drown, the air in your lungs is replaced by water.

Air is what makes you float when you swim.

Dead bodies sink.

Think of when you have a flood, and people's cars are located in a stream during that time. Within hours, often, a drowned person's body is located either in floating debris or on the banks of the river.

Moving water is different from stagnant water. I do agree that in completely stagnant water, bodies sink. In moving water, bodies can be carried along in the current and deposited along the bank of the river very quickly.

"A frequently asked question is, "When a person drowns, where may you expect to find the body and if it later comes to the surface, where may you expect to find it?" When a drowning occurs in a river, the most common mistake is to search for the body too far downstream. Sinking takes place immediately, which results in the victim reaching the bottom close to the point he was last seen on the surface. When the body begins to rise, it will appear on the surface not far from where it disappeared.

If drowning takes place when a river is swollen, the supposition is that the rapid current will carry a body along before it strikes the bottom or encounters an obstruction. The fact is that the current on the surface is entirely different from the current on the bottom. While the speed on the surface may be 10 knots, current speed will decrease with depth. There is virtually no current on the bottom..."

We are a house of biology majors.... so geek out...

http://www.operationtakemehome.org/sar/Fire%20and%20Rescue%20Personnel/Biology%20of%20drowning.pdf

"It is rare that a victim is found downstream more than a few hundred yards from where it disappeared, and more often than not the body is recovered in close proximity to where it disappeared. It is true that when the body begins to rise to the surface after several days it may drift a considerable distance from the site of death."

MOO: She didn't drown

One woman claimed on social media that Watts fell into the river while trying to chase down a stray dog, as she was involved in animal rescue efforts, and that the death is thus an accident, but that account is not confirmed.

This was posted on Heavy.com as a speculation spreading on social media. The chasing a dog theory...

It is not true.

IF she did drown, would LE be able to tell right away?

One woman claimed on social media that Watts fell into the river while trying to chase down a stray dog, as she was involved in animal rescue efforts, and that the death is thus an accident, but that account is not confirmed.

This was posted on Heavy.com as a speculation spreading on social media. The chasing a dog theory...

It is not true.

Do you mean "it hasn't been confirmed"?

IF she did drown, would LE be able to tell right away?

I think that would be looked for in the autopsy--does she have water in her lungs.

Sadly, im thinking that LE suspects foul play but does not want anyone to panic until they complete the autopsy report. Jmo

The water is so shallow, I would think it would be near imposible for a person to drown.

Jmo

I read a direct quote from a sister in law that said she had dropped her dogs off at one parent's house (husbands/hers?) and took her bunny to the other set of parents' house, and was on her way home to get her husband and go to the airport.

I think the IndyStar may have the details wrong.

Her SIL had posted on Facebook, while Jacqueline was still missing:

“She dropped their dogs off at my parents’ house and rabbit off at her parents’ house and no one heard from her afterward,” Barrie wrote.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...is-woman-found-dead-sandbar-article-1.2988735

(Also quoted in other media, but the Facebook post itself no longer seems to be available.)

Do you mean "it hasn't been confirmed"?

Police are asking that the chasing a dog rumor stop being spread on social media along with another one of a bloody woman coming out of the woods....

So I take it to not be the truth...

I read this on Heavy.com sorry I do not know how to post a link on my phone...

JKWcase.jpg

Here is a map showing the locations we know about and the path I think she took from the car, to following the animal, to entering the river. From locals and photos, it seems the channel of the water upstream of the weir is narrower, deeper and faster moving. This is where I think she went in. I think because of winter clothing her body was floating down to and over the weir.
There is a phenomenon caused by trapped air, especially in coats, that prevents bodies from sinking...it happens quite often in Canada where the water is very cold preventing bloat but still drowned people are found quickly as they are seen on the surface of the water.
REF: http://scholarworks.bgsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1126&context=ijare

They do, but when she is running to jump off a bridge. I doubt J ran and jumped in the river...

People committing suicide leave their car running and hazard
lights on when walk off to kill themselves? Typically they try not to attract attention, IMO. At least when they're serious and not having a psychotic episode.

Look up Leanne Hecht Bearden from Garden Ridge, Texas. She took cash and credit cards with her and hung herself. She had a telephone interview for a job an hour after she left for a " brief stroll".

It happens.

Yes. I'm aware of Leanne. And other cases like hers. But, people who are suicidal don't leave their car running and hazard lights on when they walk off to their deaths. And they show signs of something being wrong. Mental problems, changes in behavior, appearance, etc. Perhaps that occurred with Jackie but we don't have any information to suggest it. So at this point, it's hard for me to understand how discussion of that option could be other than in the context of, "I wonder if something was going wrong in her life or if she was showing signs that something wasn't right? Is there any info to indicate she could have been suicidal?"

"As the trip neared its end, Josh started to notice subtle changes in his effervescent, upbeat wife -- changes that went unmentioned on the couple's travel blog. A dark and restive demon gnawed at the inner depths of Leanne, a demon that Josh felt gained strength from "physical changes" and "hormonal issues" she had been experiencing for months. She had dropped significant weight.
"I sensed the depression about two weeks before we came home. She said she was starting to feel really anxious about going home. I think she was just nervous about going back into normal American life," Josh said.
Josh's father, Will Bearden, also noticed Leanne "seemed very anxious about many things, even things that had a simple solution." He said she seemed very tired and somewhat distant. "She was reticent to join in any of the family holiday activities. This was totally out of character for her. She began to isolate herself."" https://creatavist-g49brf5.atavist.com/untitledproject-6hsv4

Neighbors speak out after missing Columbus woman found dead and nobody mentions that she was chasing a stray dog.

http://wishtv.com/2017/03/04/neighbors-speak-out-after-missing-columbus-woman-found-dead/

The Indy Star article says "Watts was going to drop off pets at a relatives' house in Columbus, and they grew concerned when she never arrived, Harris said."

This is the first I had heard that she hadn't made it to her folks' house. Maybe she had her dogs in the car and the windows down and they jumped out chasing an animal? My dogs have a high prey drive and can't concentrate on anything other than what they are chasing. However, I'm not sure what animal would have evaded chase by going into the river.

RSBM

Good find.
I was under the assumption that the animals HAD been dropped off.

Sooo... Where are the dogs now ? Both safe ? I'd imagine the rabbit was still in it's pet taxi or cage in the car.

If one of the dogs jumped out of the car-- did the other one follow ?
And no-- the dog didn't open the passenger door --so someone else did.

(Back in the olden days-- some car doors opened from the inside by pushing down on the handle, but imo most door handles have to be pulled out on the inside -- and are usually recessed into the car door, facing sideways)

Were the dogs wet/muddy when found ---- as in splashed and grubby ?

Neighbors speak out after missing Columbus woman found dead and nobody mentions that she was chasing a stray dog.

http://wishtv.com/2017/03/04/neighbors-speak-out-after-missing-columbus-woman-found-dead/
SABBM

Hmmm.... "red herring" ??
But if so-- why ?
MOO

Gitana, I think you missed my post about my student's mom... put hazards on, threw car in park, ran and jumped off the Miss river bridge in New Orleans and didn't hesitate at all...

J didn't drown. Divers would be called in if she did. The only way she drowned is if she walked to the sandbar, had some kind of medical emergency and fell face down in the water. Maybe she was found lower body on sandbar, upper body face down in water. Things like that do happen... unconscious, fall face down into: dirt, sand, water and asphyxiate.

(ETA: just read the post about coats trapping air... I have no comment on that. Possible I suppose)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back