Found Deceased IN - Jacqueline Watts, 33, Columbus, 3 March 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
attachment.php

Here is a map showing the locations we know about and the path I think she took from the car, to following the animal, to entering the river. From locals and photos, it seems the channel of the water upstream of the weir is narrower, deeper and faster moving. This is where I think she went in. I think because of winter clothing her body was floating down to and over the weir.
There is a phenomenon caused by trapped air, especially in coats, that prevents bodies from sinking...it happens quite often in Canada where the water is very cold preventing bloat but still drowned people are found quickly as they are seen on the surface of the water.
REF: http://scholarworks.bgsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1126&context=ijare

That's such a direct line down the river right to the first obstruction. It does make one think she was carried down the river to that sandbar.

Ask yourself why the police K9s were unable to track Jackie to the sandbar if she walked/floated to the sandbar. Remember that articles state that the police responded quickly after they found her car.

Ask yourself why the police K9s were unable to track Jackie to the sandbar if she had walked to the sandbar.

She walked through water. Dogs can smell a cadaver, not someone who was made to walk through water.

A hunter would know this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, I can't find Jacob's two pics from this morning where she was found...

His second pic from today showed a very shallow sandbar in the river basically covered by say 1 inch of water. Maybe that was the sand bar?

She walked through water. Dogs can smell a cadaver in water ( if they were using a cadaver dog)not someone who was made to walk through water.

A hunter would know this...

Dog theory makes absolutely no sense at all.

Jmo

Definitely does not make sense unless a witness or neighbor's security cameras caught her running after a dog. I'm sure Jackie would absolutely try to save an animal in need; that doesn't mean that's what happened though. Right now that's as speculative as the other theories we have floated.

The neighbor (if in fact it is a true account) may have heard what the detectives 'think' happened but again, no witnesses or evidence to confirm at this point.

All IMO MOO ILY

This does support the idea that her car was moved and left there by someone else.

I wonder if she stopped to use the bathroom (are there bathrooms at the walking trails in the park?).

If she was abducted it was either by someone who knew her and planned it out (and therefore knew where she would be at the time) or an opportunistic crime, like being grabbed as she exited her car or a bathroom or being lured by a fake disabled vehicle. JMO

I wonder if she walked her dogs prior to dropping them off (actually I would be surprised if she didn't)...maybe someone spotted her doing this...

Gitana, I think you missed my post about my student's mom... put hazards on, threw car in park, ran and jumped off the Miss river bridge in New Orleans and didn't hesitate at all...

J didn't drown. Divers would be called in if she did. The only way she drowned is if she walked to the sandbar, had some kind of medical emergency and fell face down in the water. Maybe she was found lower body on sandbar, upper body face down in water. Things like that do happen... unconscious, fall face down into: dirt, sand, water and asphyxiate.

(ETA: just read the post about coats trapping air... I have no comment on that. Possible I suppose)

Yes. But jumping off a bridge is not the same as walking off into the woods or down to a stream to kill yourself. If a person has to park on a bridge, it makes sense that they would put it in park, hazards on and run and jump. Because if they parked somewhere else and walked someone might see them walking and intercept them or if they didn't put on their hazards, someone might get hit. And you have to act fast on abridge because if you don't, someone can stop you. A bridge is a different animal, IMO. And of course here, she didn't jump off anything, to my knowledge.

Where exactly was her car found? Can someone enlighten me? On the side of the road? A parking area?

I wonder if she walked her dogs prior to dropping them off (actually I would be surprised if she didn't)...maybe someone spotted her doing this...

That actually makes a lot of sense. It is what any thoughtful dog owner would do before dropping them off to likely senior aged parents/in-laws. MOO.

"A frequently asked question is, "When a person drowns, where may you expect to find the body and if it later comes to the surface, where may you expect to find it?" When a drowning occurs in a river, the most common mistake is to search for the body too far downstream. Sinking takes place immediately, which results in the victim reaching the bottom close to the point he was last seen on the surface. When the body begins to rise, it will appear on the surface not far from where it disappeared.

If drowning takes place when a river is swollen, the supposition is that the rapid current will carry a body along before it strikes the bottom or encounters an obstruction. The fact is that the current on the surface is entirely different from the current on the bottom. While the speed on the surface may be 10 knots, current speed will decrease with depth. There is virtually no current on the bottom..."

We are a house of biology majors.... so geek out...

http://www.operationtakemehome.org/sar/Fire%20and%20Rescue%20Personnel/Biology%20of%20drowning.pdf

"It is rare that a victim is found downstream more than a few hundred yards from where it disappeared, and more often than not the body is recovered in close proximity to where it disappeared. It is true that when the body begins to rise to the surface after several days it may drift a considerable distance from the site of death."

MOO: She didn't drown

You got it!!!!!

Ask yourself why the police K9s were unable to track Jackie to the sandbar if she had walked to the sandbar.

K9 dogs are a great tool. But they aren't fool proof. There are many cases where they aren't successful. Nevertheless, I think they're a fabulous tool and should always be used when possible.

That's such a direct line down the river right to the first obstruction. It does make one think she was carried down the river to that sandbar.
I agree. The question none of us can answer, though, is how she ended up in the water.

1. An accident - fell in, maybe hit her head, maybe drowned, floated with the current to the sandbar.

2. A murder - someone deliberately put her in the river after she died (cod should determine this)

3. A murder - someone put her there and deliberately drowned her, thus cause of death may corroborate accident without other evidence (most unlikely, probably).

I'm leaning toward #1 but without the autopsy results, no one can say for sure. If #2, I highly doubt a serial killer is on the loose and would be suspicious of someone she knew that also knew she was going to be in that area, alone, that day.

JMO.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

IF she did drown, would LE be able to tell right away?

If she drown she would have water from the river in her lungs....so yes.

Wait, sorry..she was dropping rabbit off not her dogs..so she was not walking rabbit in neighborhood I don't think!

The dogs would have led LE (under the right conditions... such as wind, etc) to her point of entry at the river.

Wait, sorry..she was dropping rabbit off not her dogs..so she was not walking rabbit in neighborhood I don't think!

She dropped off dogs at in-laws' house and rabbit at parents' house.

Yes. But jumping off a bridge is not the same as walking off into the woods or down to a stream to kill yourself. If a person has to park on a bridge, it makes sense that they would put it in park, hazards on and run and jump. Because if they parked somewhere else and walked someone might see them walking and intercept them or if they didn't put on their hazards, someone might get hit. And you have to act fast on abridge because if you don't, someone can stop you. A bridge is a different animal, IMO. And of course here, she didn't jump off anything, to my knowledge.

Where exactly was her car found? Can someone enlighten me? On the side of the road? A parking area?

That is what I basically said in my post...

Her car was found in a very nice residential area. The area where it was found has many trees and the houses are on
1-2 acre lots (the houses are far apart). The street is said to have 1 car/hour.

Thank you for this & the article. I sadly suspect this is close to what happened. A hazard in the river is getting a foot or arm trapped in a submerged tree or rock and not being able to free it in time. The rivers are muddy enough that a body may not be seen until it washes up.

MOO and I am still wondering how she could have gotten in the position to slip or fall in. I don't know that an autopsy, if it reveals drowning as a COD, will bring any resolution absent an additional obvious injury (like a gunshot wound).

View attachment 111993

Here is a map showing the locations we know about and the path I think she took from the car, to following the animal, to entering the river. From locals and photos, it seems the channel of the water upstream of the weir is narrower, deeper and faster moving. This is where I think she went in. I think because of winter clothing her body was floating down to and over the weir.
There is a phenomenon caused by trapped air, especially in coats, that prevents bodies from sinking...it happens quite often in Canada where the water is very cold preventing bloat but still drowned people are found quickly as they are seen on the surface of the water.
REF: http://scholarworks.bgsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1126&context=ijare

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj
Back