Found Deceased IN - Jacqueline Watts, 33, Columbus, 3 March 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is terribly sad. Her animals lost their mama. Her husband lost his love. This will make me think twice about how I try to rescue animals in the future. It's a terrible tragedy. Such a beautiful person.

If it was chase animal/fall into river/hypothermia it will surely be a wake up call for everyone who gets tunnel vision trying to help lost or stray animals. Margarita, I am looking at you. :thinking: You can do the most good for animals while you are alive.

An elderly neighbor has a 3 foot wide but like 3/4/5 feet deep trench in his backyard that is like a small pond and extends along 5 houses. It is the most narrow behind his house. His dog fell in and then he fell in (80s, about 6 feet tall) and then he couldn't get out. He called for help and no one heard him. It was warm when this happened. He got his dog out and then he was stuck in there for a good 30 mins before he was able to gain footing to get himself out. No one ever heard anything.

That could have happened to Jackie. I would believe that more if she had been at her parents' house and saw an animal rather than leave all of her stuff in an unlocked car which was on...

I look at animal rescue from both sides since I also lost a dog: sometimes animal rescuers intefere with the dog getting home by grabbing it and taking it off to a shelter. I consulted with a few organizations dedicated to reuniting lost dogs with owners, and that is a fact an owner of a lost dog has to deal with-- that your lost dog may have made it home on its own after it stopped running, but met up with a rescuer and then got taken somewhere and put into the rescue system.

That's simply avoided with a collar with ID and a microchip.

In rewatching the press conference, he starts off by saying they still have many questions and don't suspect foul play "at this time" (which you can see why since she clearly was trying to help catch the lost dog).

LE has placed many puzzle pieces, but still need to find more.

Slide show: where her vehicle was found.... (so many trees and so picturesque it looks like a walking path and not a street, as a local had mentioned... senic drive kind of street).

Her vehicle (shown at night) appears to be in the middle of the street. Found keys, purse, cell in car. Passenger door partially open. (I don't think they said if the car was running).

Riverside drive appears to be a one lane drive (width of one lane)

LE said they have not ruled out foul play but they do not think foul play was involved. All that has to be affirmed by the coroner. He also stated in answer to a question that they "didn't know" if she hit her head, or what happened. Her body was found on the sand bar which is in close proximity to the dam.

So, the witness places her by the dam and her body was found just beyond the dam. This is very curious as to what the heck happened since she would have had to go into the water very close to where she was found. She didn't get "swept away" so to speak.

I also didn't like the fact that LE said only later that night, upon further questioning, did the "witness" come thru with more info. (I hope that witness was thouroughly vetted) Where was this witness? Was it a man or a woman? We're they walking along the river too?

I would assume we will never know exactly what happened.

IMO LE should have NOT waited an entire weekend to comment. That was ridiculous in lieu of the girls murders in the park 120 miles away. What was the point of that?

Yes, of course. However, at the time my dog went missing, the vet said no reason to microchip (seriously.. many issues at the time such as chips not working and not getting picked up by scanners).

Very few people in my area do monthly treatments for heartworms, they don't microchip and they let their dogs run loose outside on their property to go wherever they want.

Just finished watching. The presser started 30 minutes early for me. Hard to imagine these witnesses in such a tight knit, quaint neighborhood - seeing a woman in obvious distress chasing a dog and not stopping to help or do anything else. I have a feeling maybe Jackie ended up following the dog into water, and perhaps tripped and fell around the dam area (didn't see it coming) and maybe was already exhausted or going through hypothermia. IMO.

Were the conditions of the river different from what was stated earlier in every thread? Still not wrapping my head around how they both drowned. RIP.

LE said they have not ruled out foul play but they do not think foul play was involved. All that has to be affirmed by the coroner. He also stated in answer to a question that they "didn't know" if she hit her head, or what happened. Her body was found on the sand bar which is in close proximity to the dam.

So, the witness places her by the dam and her body was found just beyond the dam. This is very curious as to what the heck happened since she would have had to go into the water very close to where she was found. She didn't get "swept away" so to speak.

I also didn't like the fact that LE said only later that night, upon further questioning, did the "witness" come thru with more info. (I hope that witness was thouroughly vetted) Where was this witness? Was it a man or a woman? We're they walking along the river too?

I would assume we will never know exactly what happened.

IMO LE should have NOT waited an entire weekend to comment. That was ridiculous in lieu of the girls murders in the park 120 miles away. What was the point of that?

I don't know. They're kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Being cautious until they get all the info they needed makes sense. What if they had announced very early on that they didn't suspect foul play due to witness statements and the autopsy found evidence of murder? They did the right thing. They were busy doing their job, IMO.

I wonder if they will release the autopsy results. I get the impression she didn't drown. If the dog was small and had been running, it could have also gotten hypothermia, even with wearing a sweater. Also, we have no idea how long the dog had been running lost and if it was elderly, etc. Maybe it was on medicine for a liver condition or any number of things. It could have been bitten by a snake or a wild animal got to it.

Unfortunately, even with a collar with ID and a microchip, dogs can run away.
Sometimes they can even jump or run through an invisible fence.

Were the conditions of the river different from what was stated earlier in every thread? Still not wrapping my head around how they both drowned. RIP.
There is not confirmation of cod (drowning, trauma etc) but he did say the river was flowing very fast and being in the water around the dam could be dangerous (didn't use dangerous but can't recall the exact word - Meaning was the same).

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Apparently. They stated the river was fast moving that day. It is confusing though because it's hard to imagine someone drowning so quickly in such a
short distance but maybe she got knocked unconscious.

This makes me think about the times I've walked or ran in front of an on-coming car to prevent it from hitting a stray. I'm thinking I was lucky.

Timeline:

Friday 1:30 pm. Dripped off two dogs and rabbit two different locations

1:54 seen on security camera leaving, driving toward washington street.

2:00 pm (reported later that night) witness sees her chasing dog toward 23rd and washington

2:14 and 3:00 two separate reports of witnesses finding abandoned vehicle

4:51 pm. Officers respond to vehicle on riverside drive

4:56 officers respond to Jackie's family reporting her missing

Later that afternoon/ evening: witness reports female of jackie's description next to flat rock river attempting to catch a small dog wearing a sweater (he says eveing at first but says afternoon later on)

Huge search party: dept natural resources, sheriff, Columbus PD, boats, multiple aircraft, helicopters, k9.

Unfortunately, even with a collar with ID and a microchip, dogs can run away.
Sometimes they can even jump or run through an invisible fence.

Yup. But the post was about the folly of grabbing a stray and taking it to a shelter because in a shelter it might be lost forever where otherwise it might wander home. A collar with an ID and a microchip would prevent that.

For those who can't watch the video right now, this is a video SS of where Ringo was found--he said it's close to Indianapolis Rd. This is quite a bit away from where Jackie was found.

Ringo Location.jpg

Presser, timeline, continued:

Unsuccessful search overight.

SATURDAY, march 4

Briefing at 7 am, ground search started 7:45.

8:01 am body found on sand bar in flat rock river

Later that night got tip about facebook post about missing ringo

http://www.damsafety.org/news/?p=61da0f7f-c2a0-475a-884e-7182f3d49b25

Saw this linked and found it helpful.

"More than 50 people have drowned at dams on U.S. streams and rivers within the past two years.*

In an effort to raise awareness of safety hazards at dams, the Indiana Silver Jackets team created a documentary, Over, Under, Gone - The Killer in Our Rivers, which premiered November 16 in Indianapolis. The documentary is available for viewing at the following link:..."

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Presser, continued:

On Sunday, March 5th. Officers continued searching Flatrock River since the waters were receding. (Is flat rock tied to some kind of plant or watershed that releases water on a schedule? Curious.. I have seen rivers like that.) water level dropped almost one foot.

2:00 pm Sunday: received info that a dog matching Ringo is located south of Noblett park on the east bank of Flatrock river.

3:20 pm. Investigators speak with the witness who saw jackie chasing a small white dog. Witness confirmed it is same dog as social media post. Jackie was chasing Ringo. Witness reported Jackie was chasing the dog, running south next to the river towards the lowhead dam.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaMaude
Back