IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Attempted murder defendant investigated for ties to Delphi murders

“LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Detectives investigating the Feb. 13, 2017, killings of Libby German and Abby Williams have taken notice of James Brian Chadwell II.”

[...]

“"The information has obviously been shared with us, and our investigators are looking into him," Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said.

He did not elaborate on any details about the investigation into Chadwell.

Indiana State Police Sgt. Jeremy Piers said they do not comment on whom detectives might be investigating, but noted that the state police works collaboratively with agencies in the district.”

[...]

“Chadwell is not the first person accused of an abduction crime who has been investigated as a person of interest in the Delphi murders. None of the other people of interest turned out to be a suspect.”

This happens all the time. Very common to see something like 1 out of the hundreds or thousands. What this means is that at the DNA loci that LE had to work with in that particular case (which may not have been all of the loci that they like to have to compare), the alleles were very common in the ethnic population that both the suspect and the sample came from.

Good to know if his DNA is already in database it doesn’t mean it would’ve brought back a hit on other unsolved crimes (if those crimes don’t have a complete dna profile)

Indiana man allegedly tries to rape and murder 9-year-old neighbor girl, now police investigating possible ties to Delphi Murders: Report
April 27, 2021
Article by @leighEg

“An Indiana man arrested earlier this month on attempted murder and related charges has landed on the radar of authorities who’re working on solving the infamous Delphi murder case.”

[...]

“The Journal & Courier reports that Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby confirmed that authorities are looking into Chadwell as a possible connection to the Delphi murders, but he has not been named a suspect or person of interest in the case.

“The information has obviously been shared with us, and our investigators are looking into him,” Leazenby said.”

[...]

“The story continues to develop. Check back for updates.”

Leigh Egan of Crime Online has posted an article on her website.

Her website is outstanding and it's wonderful when she comes onto Tricia's WebSleuths Youtube channel and answers our questions.

Posts by: Leigh Egan

LEIGH'S RECENT ARTICLES

Indiana man allegedly tries to rape and murder 9-year-old neighbor girl, now police investigating possible ties to Delphi Murders: Report

ATTEMPTED MURDER

"An Indiana man arrested earlier this month on attempted murder and related charges has landed on the radar of authorities who’re working on solving the infamous Delphi murder case. As CrimeOnline previously reported, Lafayette authorities received a report about a missing child on April 19, near Park Avenue. The child’s parents called for help after their 9-year-old …"

With this guy's prison time, it wouldn't surprise me that he knows how to sabotage a DNA test.

Post-conviction DNA collection is usually a mouth swab or a blood sample while you are in prison. I think it's more likely that they don't actually have offender DNA at Delphi if this guy is a serious suspect.

Is JC a marijuana enthusiast? One of his likes on FB is for a joint smoke shop:
https://www.facebook.com/BrianChadwell313/likes_all

Also, does he smoke cigarettes???

(Eta: So far I have not come across any indication of this, but I’m still on the cursory level, haven’t examined everything yet, still collecting data.)

Last edited:
Is it okay to link a picture from his FB photos? There is a photo that I believe shows something quite interesting?
Yes, it my understanding that we are allowed to link directy, just not post screenshots.

(eta: @Sillybilly)

Eta:
Crosscheck in google!
jamesbrian313@gmail.com

source
https://www.facebook.com/BrianChadwell313/about_contact_and_basic_info

For reference before it goes poof (sorry for any rehash, adding links, etc.)

https://www.facebook.com/BrianChadwell313/about_places

*Current city listed as Lafayette
*Hometown listed as La Follette, TN

Last edited:
Post-conviction DNA collection is usually a mouth swab or a blood sample while you are in prison. I think it's more likely that they don't actually have offender DNA at Delphi if this guy is a serious suspect.
Agree. A partial maybe. May explain that they need to suspect to confirm a match or at least a very high probability.

Some quick links/dates and notes while I’ve got them up / not exhaustive / out of order
Link to bullet pic
July 18, 2018
Facebook

Fire pit
May 2017
Facebook

Fire in woods
June 13, 2020
Facebook

Rings
April 11, 2021
Facebook

In the Tippecanoe River
June 7, 2020
Facebook

Kayak Fishing on the Lake
June 27, 2019

April 16, 2019
Photo under bridge
Facebook

April 6, 2019
Swollen Knuckle pic

June 1, 2020
Photo in woods
Facebook

Arm tattoo
Photo on bridge over river
May 16, 2020

Kayaks
July 10, 2018

Fire
June 8, 2019

Train and Bridge
May 11, 2019

Fishing
April 25, 2019

April 16, 2019
River

Last edited:

I was reading articles last night and sometimes the DNA database is not 100%- e.g.
Tennessee has failed to collect DNA from 76,000 violent ...
https://www.timesfreepress.com › apr › violent-offenders

Apr 17, 2021 — More than 76,000 DNA samples from convicted felons dating back to 1998 are missing from a state DNA database, according to Tennessee .

Of course we are not talking about TN, but I am just saying that some data might be missing. There is another article I read, but of course cannot find again, in which a felon escaped re-arrest for about 10 years by "dodging" his DNA test. [found it! 'A big problem': How a killer eluded capture by dodging DNA collection]

I also read about CODIS on the FBI webpage:
CODIS and NDIS Fact Sheet — FBI
It has very specific lab procedures, so the logistics of getting all arrestees or all convicts tested and doing all the record keeping is an undertaking.

Last edited:
On Chadwells FB under photos there are 2 pictures of his tattoo on right arm- underside. These are probably selfies. One is dated May 16,2020 the May 16 is the clearest. It is him standing on a bridge over water- just a few pictures following the Welcome to Florida pic if you take this May 16 pic and turn it counterclockwise then zoom in. Tattoo of young girl appears to be crying and has no eyes <modsnip: Removed link with direct reference to another case>

2nd photo is dated May 20,2020 and is just a few pics after the hand comparison quiz. This one is not as clear

I disagree with the description of the tattoo. It looks to me like a grinning demon girl face. Like an evil harlequin. It is not a girl crying at all. JMO. Looks like a date underneath too. "Dec '15"?

Edited to add: the chain/lock on the basement door signals premeditation or at least not the actions of someone who's mentally incompetent/insane. It indicates knowledge of guilt and the need to 'hide' the victim from discovery, in my opinion. I sincerely hope that he hasn't been doing this to other children (or adults) prior to this. But it looks grim, doesn't it?

Last edited:
the chain/lock on the basement door signals premeditation or at least not the actions of someone who's mentally incompetent/insane.

Am I the only one that doesn’t find a lock on the basement door alarming? My parents have always had a small lock at the top of the basement door (I think it was there when they bought the house when I was a small child) and I have seen others with them, especially if it’s a full unfinished basement and they have young children they don’t want going down there. It’s just not something that would stand out to me at all.

I don't think we know just what kind of lock was on that basement door.

Was it a logging chain, with a padlock, or was it a little sliding chain, like on a hotel room door, or was it something else?

The fact that there was a sexually abused child in the basement, and the door was chained, by ANY means, is enough for me to be alarmed.

This guy has been committing atrocious crimes for years, holding multiple felony status. An extremely dangerous criminal. Time likely will reveal so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member