IN IN - Kristy Kelley, 27, Boonville, 15 Aug 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Aw, so very sad. RIP pretty girl.

We will never know how much she had to drink. I suspect she realized she had left her phone, went back to the VFW, found it closed and was headed to the managers to get them to open up the VFW to get her phone, missed that turn and ended up in the water. Occum's Razor. The alternative would be just driving around, maybe listening to music and missing the turn. For whatever reason, she went to that side of town, that much is obvious. Why? That's anyone's guess. IMO

Anyone find it interesting that she was found literally just hours after that 10,000 reward was offered?

No. They were probably systematically checking ponds and lakes in the area and that one was next on the list. And the reward was for her SAFE return. She's not safe, so the reward most likely will not be given.

Hell...she had been drinking and was sort of in a partying mood.......maybe she just wanted to drive around for awhile and jam out to her newest CD.

Chances are we may never know all the answers.

We may not. Seems like it was a very odd night for her. Clear out there at that hour, leaving her cell...supposed to work so early, and a double shift...and all that we know (or don't know) that went on that evening. Just sounds like a very mixed up night.

Just really sad.

We will never know how much she had to drink. I suspect she realized she had left her phone, went back to the VFW, found it closed and was headed to the managers to get them to open up the VFW to get her phone, missed that turn and ended up in the water. Occum's Razor. The alternative would be just driving around, maybe listening to music and missing the turn. For whatever reason, she went to that side of town, that much is obvious. Why? That's anyone's guess. IMO

That is exactly what I was thinking and was about to post. She realizes she forgot her phone and goes back to the VFW (the first time we saw the car on the camera). She finds it closed and so she hurries out to where the manager or bartender or whoever it was lives (this would be the second time we saw her on the video). She's rushing, hoping to get there before the person goes to bed. Maybe she isn't super familiar with the area and doesn't realize the road ends in a T. Sometimes those intersections can come up on you faster than you realize, especially if you're speeding. She fails to make the turn and ends up in the lake.

I think this will end up being one of those "series of unfortunate event" things, like that episode of CSI where the college student was found dead in the dumpster next to her dorm room.

According to an interview with the sheriff, the cleaning man was still there two hours after closing and (according to the sheriff), the cleaning man had indicated she never returned for her cellphone, but who knows...maybe she did return and pounded on door, he was vacuuming or in back and never heard her...so many possibilities.

Just tragic, regardless.

Given the amount of time it takes to get the boat in the water, use the sonar, see something, decide to put divers in, get said divers, put said divers in water, confirm that the plate is a match, decide to call a crane to pull car out, wait for crane, get crane to location, set up and secure crane, get car hooked up, pull car out of water, all by late afternoon, I doubt seriously the reward had anything to do with it. The timing just isn't there.

According to an interview with the sheriff, the cleaning man was still there two hours after closing and (according to the sheriff), the cleaning man had indicated she never returned for her cellphone, but who knows...maybe she did return and pounded on door, he was vacuuming or in back and never heard her...so many possibilities.

Just tragic, regardless.

Thought about cleaning dude, and if he didn't hear her, that would fit that she was going to the managers to get in.

Thought about cleaning dude, and if he didn't hear her, that would fit that she was going to the managers to get in.

I agree, Seajay. I could see something like that happening...especially if that second video (do I remember this right?) was possibly her vehicle coming back toward the direction of the VFW at a higher rate of speed than the first video (first video showed vehicle looking like she was headed toward home -- LE felt was her vehicle but uncertain on second video because more of a blur?). Yeah, could see something like that.

I'm not trying to add to the confusion here, but I drove by that intersection this morning. There is a set of skid marks there, but they are north of the intersection. I'm not sure if they are from Kristy's vehicle or not, but what I saw were two sets of skid marks, which would indicate an almost sideways skid. My guess if they were hers, is that she was traveling southbound, and likely swerved to miss a deer or other animal, and then overcorrected and ended up in the lake. Again, this is purely speculation on my part.

Been following along from the beginning.
Obviously, was hoping for a better outcome.
RIP Kristy
And thank you to all the posters for all the maps/ research.
Especially to all the locals for your valuable insight.
Hope you all will stick around.

I'm not trying to add to the confusion here, but I drove by that intersection this morning. There is a set of skid marks there, but they are north of the intersection. I'm not sure if they are from Kristy's vehicle or not, but what I saw were two sets of skid marks, which would indicate an almost sideways skid. My guess if they were hers, is that she was traveling southbound, and likely swerved to miss a deer or other animal, and then overcorrected and ended up in the lake. Again, this is purely speculation on my part.

Are you saying that she might have been going South on Yankeetown? Or going North on Yankeetown? If the skid marks are in fact hers, I mean.

I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. :)

Also....do we have confirmation yet of which lake KK's vehicle was found in?

I haven't heard which one for sure. If they were her skid marks, she would have been traveling south, and it would be the lake that is shaped like a 7.

I haven't heard which one for sure. If they were her skid marks, she would have been traveling south, and it would be the lake that is shaped like a 7.

So she would have been going South on Yankeetown and went off the road to the right and into the lake? I think I see what you mean now. Any idea how deep that lake is over there?

ETA: Not saying the skid marks are confirmed, but were they right at the intersection for Mt. Gilead or before that? Just curious.

That is correct. No idea how deep it is, but these lakes are all old stripper pits, which can be very deep. The skid marks were between Mt. Gilead Rd. and the driveway of the house that is on the north side of the lake.

I also want to add to the conversation about locals sticking around on WS. It's been really nice getting to know all of you and I appreciate all that you guys have done to help us understand the area better! I hope I will see you guys around on other cases.

That is correct. No idea how deep it is, but these lakes are all old stripper pits, which can be very deep. The skid marks were between Mt. Gilead Rd. and the driveway of the house that is on the north side of the lake.

Interesting! I was trying to figure out where she was going that night. If the skid marks that you saw ARE related....my theory totally checks out. (ETA: Although it does make me wonder why she would have gone the long way around.) Thank you for helping me to understand the area better justme41. It's been VERY helpful!

I also want to add to the conversation about locals sticking around on WS. It's been really nice getting to know all of you and I appreciate all that you guys have done to help us understand the area better! I hope I will see you guys around on other cases.
OT: I'm a former Texas boy, so I've felt like we have something in common. I've met a lot of great people on WS. That's the positive side of the heartbreak.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back