IN IN - Kristy Kelley, 27, Boonville, 15 Aug 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wondered that as well. One thing I can say is that t he marks I saw are in the middle of the road and don't appear to lead anywhere. I didn't pay any attention to them at first. It took me a minute to realize how 4 identical, somewhat s - shaped marks could be made in the first place. Then it dawned on me that this was a sideways skid, and probably an over correction. I'm not certain that's what happened, but it's my gut feeling.

Is it possible the car rolled? What is the distance from the road to the water? Just twenty feet or so?

Is it possible the car rolled? What is the distance from the road to the water? Just twenty feet or so?

I marked up a quick map this morning that shows the intersection closest to where her car was located. You can zoom in and zoom out to magnify the area.

I scaled the distance on the map at approx. 150 feet from the stop sign to the center of the water. That particular dimension is labeled on the map.

Go here to view.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zZ5px4sAbxvs.kwdKIsYs1ck8

http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/in...rs_will_have_a_deermotor_vehicle_acciden.html

Within this article is pointed out that deer are moving around more October, November and December. Also (click on additional link - ways of avoiding deer) to be especially careful from dusk to midnight and then again dawn. Deer feed in cornfields.
So are deer known to sleep during set time periods (after midnight to dawn) eliminating the risk of encountering one during those times?

The article focuses on NY but could apply to any location, right? How do deer behave mid-August in Indiana?

I marked up a quick map this morning that shows the intersection closest to where her car was located. You can zoom in and zoom out to magnify the area.

I scaled the distance on the map at approx. 180 feet from the stop sign to the center of the water. That particular dimension is not actually labeled on the map.

Go here to view.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...s.kwdKIsYs1ck8

The link isn't working. :(

I scaled the distance on the map at approx. 180 feet from the stop sign to the center of the water. That particular dimension is not actually labeled on the map.

Go here to view.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...s.kwdKIsYs1ck8

So what are the possibilities? We don't know which body of water yet though I don't think. Too far to roll, right? Can a skid go sideways without indicating the car left the road?
I see the T-intersection where one could drive directly into a body of water if they missed slowing down to turn left or right. If moving parallel, wouldn't the car stop on land before reaching the water if a sudden swerve took place? Is the land/buffer before the water angled downhill?

http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/in...rs_will_have_a_deermotor_vehicle_acciden.html

Within this article is pointed out that deer are moving around more October, November and December. Also (click on additional link - ways of avoiding deer) to be especially careful from dusk to midnight and then again dawn. Deer feed in cornfields.
So are deer known to sleep during set time periods (after midnight to dawn) eliminating the risk of encountering one during those times?

The article focuses on NY but could apply to any location, right? How do deer behave mid-August in Indiana?

Deer are most active from dusk to dawn, but that doesn't mean they sleep all day. Deer are HUGELY over-populated around here, so we see them all the time and everywhere. I even saw them in the middle of Evansville once when I lived there.

The middle of the night, on a country road near woods and water, would be a great time/place to see a deer. Or multiple deer, as they tend to be in groups.

If skid marks were present all along, considering all the awareness and searching that has taken place, I'm surprised nobody reported them earlier. They'd be a big clue an accident may have occurred. Especially since the possibility of Kristy's car leaving the road into a stripper pit has been a suspected theory all along. Wouldn't skid marks alert to searching the nearby water earlier?

Yes, but Kristy had no real reason to be down there that anyone knew of. And there are skid marks on most roads. I can see why no one noticed them at first. It's also possible that the skid marks are what eventually prompted LE to search there.

I'll betcha' anything they end up putting a highway guardrail or a reflective barrier rail right in front of that telephone pole now. I think she just shot right by that pole, went airborne for a second, and hit the water going full speed. All of that in complete darkness except for her headlight beams.

I'm wondering now if the folks that live to the north and south of the landing zone will remember hearing something that night. It probably would have sounded like a big THUD for just a second.

I didn't see any sign of it rolling (broken glass, plastic) but I guess it would depend on speed and trajectory. I suppose she could have rolled and landed in the lake. I'm still leaning towards over - correcting though.

I wondered that as well. One thing I can say is that t he marks I saw are in the middle of the road and don't appear to lead anywhere. I didn't pay any attention to them at first. It took me a minute to realize how 4 identical, somewhat s - shaped marks could be made in the first place. Then it dawned on me that this was a sideways skid, and probably an over correction. I'm not certain that's what happened, but it's my gut feeling.

The situation you describe makes me think of texting while driving. The only problem is Kristy didn't have her phone!

Last year I attended a memorial service for a woman (youngest sister of friends) who, while driving to work at 11:00 a.m., drove right over a cement embankment. She was a high energy individual, definitely a multi-tasker. Although never explained, I imagine she was reaching down for her phone or purse or something and lost control of the car. To make matters worse, she wasn't buckled in with the seat belt. Maybe if she had slowed down and buckled up, her life wouldn't have ended that day. Very sad as she still had so much love and life in her.

Are those trees or bushes on the edge of the water? Does anyone know who the searchers were? Thanks for the map, steelman. It helped to visualize the scene. Such a sad ending.

I didn't see any sign of it rolling (broken glass, plastic) but I guess it would depend on speed and trajectory. I suppose she could have rolled and landed in the lake. I'm still leaning towards over - correcting though.

Yes over correcting sounds possible but how would that play out? I mean is the water that close to the road without much in the way to stop the car. I've read all the posts in this thread and info is given (180 feet) but I'm unable to figure out - put the pieces together myself - if over correcting would result in the car ending up in the water.

Witnesses saw the accident I described above. So they know the vehicle, all of a sudden, veered to the right, up and over. What they couldn't see is exactly what the person in the car was doing at the time.

Deer are most active from dusk to dawn, but that doesn't mean they sleep all day. Deer are HUGELY over-populated around here, so we see them all the time and everywhere. I even saw them in the middle of Evansville once when I lived there.

The middle of the night, on a country road near woods and water, would be a great time/place to see a deer. Or multiple deer, as they tend to be in groups.

No, I was wondering if deer usually sleep after midnight to dawn. The info in the article is to be most cautious between dusk and midnight and then again around dawn. Since Kristy was driving around 2:00 a.m., I wondered if her risk of encountering deer would be less during that time. It could still happen but am asking if the risk was lower (based on info in article).

Maybe she was on her way to wherever and this is where she realized she didn't have her phone. Maybe she was looking around, reaching in the back seats, under seats and lost control?

For the life of me, I can't get the zoom to work well enough. Then, when I zoom, the area goes off the screen and I can't find what I'm supposed to be looking at to begin with. The directionals are so touchy, I want to throw my computer!

You should be able to left click on the screen and drag it. Also, use the center roll wheel of your mouse to make it zoom in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back