IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I agree with you IF that's the leading theory, but what if that's not their leading theory? I wish they would give us something, yet I totally understand why they don't/won't. I totally respect your opinion, but I think it's highly possible (maybe even likely) that IF JR is the one who may have disposed of her, he took her in his car. I think that only because he left so suddenly. Having said that, I also understand why he left suddenly if he's innocent. If he were my son, I'd want to get him home and speaking with an attorney ASAP. As I've said many times before, being innocent is often a greater reason to have council than being guilty, especially in a case such as this which can become a civil matter.

I think, with the parents being so outright in their pleas to the friends, it is at least the parents leading theory, if not LE. I'm leaning to thinking it is theirs as well, since they have been pretty pointed in their description of the cooperation they are getting the last time Qualters spoke (upsetting confusing and disappointing? he said something along those lines)
But you may be right, and it may not be the leading theory.
Also, I know it has been repeated over and over and over until everyone believed it, but there is no evidence that JR left town in extreme haste. He may have been the first to leave, but as far as I know, he was there on Saturday, and maybe even Sunday. Since his classes were over, and he presumably had a friend from home visiting, it also could be he intended to leave at the end of that weekend anyhow. We just don't know.

I think you're right about the tunnel vision. While I believe that LE has to start with a theory to begin their search, often times it seems that they get so dead set on a given theory , they don't consider other possibilities. That seems to be the case with people here too. I'm keeping a very open mind and have considered things that aren't likely, yet possible (like the drug connection). I'm discounting things that seem so obscure (like a flee to Israel) yet still recognize that they could be true. I think the answer is probably something more simple but anything is possible.

This isn't my first rodeo, I've seen it all over and over and over again. I've also always kept an open mind because we all have opinions, valid or not so valid. This three week search with LE and volunteers is wonderful, but then after that time period, LE has no more pressers, no one is talking except the parents. Why not take another approach and research? If the perp was in the search party, and they found her in that second search, they would know for damn certain that they have narrowed a huge possible window down for the perp.

I think, with the parents being so outright in their pleas to the friends, it is at least the parents leading theory, if not LE. I'm leaning to thinking it is theirs as well, since they have been pretty pointed in their description of the cooperation they are getting the last time Qualters spoke (upsetting confusing and disappointing? he said something along those lines)
But you may be right, and it may not be the leading theory.
Also, I know it has been repeated over and over and over until everyone believed it, but there is no evidence that JR left town in extreme haste. He may have been the first to leave, but as far as I know, he was there on Saturday, and maybe even Sunday. Since his classes were over, and he presumably had a friend from home visiting, it also could be he intended to leave at the end of that weekend anyhow. We just don't know.

I wasn't meaning that I believe it's NOT the leading theory, as I simply don't know. It was meant as a "what if" but yes, what you say does point to them believing those lines. I have missed any evidence either way about how quickly JR left. I've only known what people have said (rumors). I do think that the police and especially the Spierers seem to be pointing towards friends knowing something, but whether that means they know b/c they were involved directly, or they know b/c they know who took her - I don't know (that was a lot of "knows" LOL)

This isn't my first rodeo, I've seen it all over and over and over again. I've also always kept an open mind because we all have opinions, valid or not so valid. This three week search with LE and volunteers is wonderful, but then after that time period, LE has no more pressers, no one is talking except the parents. Why not take another approach and research? If the perp was in the search party, and they found her in that second search, they would know for damn certain that they have narrowed a huge possible window down for the perp.

I didn't even think about the perp being in the search party. Of course if the perp says, "I searched this shack and she wasn't there", they'd never find her if she was indeed there and didn't go back to look. Does anyone know of any past cases where the perp says they looked where the victim was actually hidden?

Krista Dittmeyer found in a pond that had already been searched in New Hampshire, that's right off the top of my head. Now, did they miss her the first time or did someone place her there after the first search, cause LE seemed to have a substantial reason to further search it.

Typically, is much effort made to document who participates in searches, or are there usually just too many people to make this practical?

Typically, is much effort made to document who participates in searches, or are there usually just too many people to make this practical?

It is normal practice to document each person who is searching, but I have heard that as they go along, they might pick up people who want to help, and they haven't a clue who they are. It is possible to miss someone. JMHO

Mamamia54 I agree 110+% with your ^above^ post regarding the searches.. I have come to feel this way in many cases that I have followed as well as just like you mentioned so many times when and where the body or remains are finally actually recovered.. It is seen that the location where they are found was infact searched early on..

So, I would think that it would become a somewhat standard procedure to RE-search at the very least some locations..

I had stated this in a post several weeks ago when discussing searches that it so very easily could be done.. Meaning tht with the coverage that a case receives especially in it's first weeks and some even into months, it receiving such detailed media coverage including that of searches, not to mention that if the perp(s) are known persons to Lauren therefor have possibly even more knowledge or more accurate knowledge of the searches and the areas that have been cleared as being searched.. And with this knowledge the perp(s) could so very easily, at some point after receiving knowledge of a specific location having been deemed as "cleared"(I.e. Heavily wooded areas, very remote areas receiving little to no traffic,etc,etc)any one of these type areas..
And decide to then dispose, bury, destroy Lauren's body or remains at one of these locations, most likely one not heavily traveled, atleast during certain hours.. And noone the wiser for the perp having moved the remains to the already searched and cleared location..

IMO this definitely is not only a possibility but I feel that it most likely has been done in some of the cases I have followed.. Hence why I so very much agree with your post about REsearching areas they have already covered and/or cleared.. KWIM??

I don't know if anyone else has posted this yet, but I just read on the Herald-Times site that a 72-year-old woman went missing during her morning walk in Bloomington today. She left for the walk at 9:15 a.m. I doubt it's related to LS's disappearance, but who knows. This is a very residential, 'safe' neighborhood populated mostly by young families, older people, professors, etc. about 3 miles south of the IU campus.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/07/08/news.qp-3974820.sto

SmoothOperator - EXACTLY!! I do not want to see Lauren lay out in the elements any longer than is necessary, and that is indeed what is happening but if LE would just do something outragious like re-search an area they may be surprized what they might find. It's at least worth a shot.

I just got off the phone with BPD.
And told them about the little white shack I seen
North of 11th street hidden in the bushes and trees.
He took the information along with my name and number.
And said he would pass it along to the investigators.
And would call back if they had any follow up questions.
They probably already searched it.
He didn't know. But i felt compelled to call anyways.

White washing and sugar coating is becoming the norm. Yesterday we heard Smallwood release a statement that depicted themselves as the epitome of cooperation with LE, and the safest, most caring residence in town. Also, the student newspaper had an article telling incoming students that there was nothing at all to fear, that in fact, all 40,000 students were there - they have your back. Just like they did to protect Lauren? And of course, we have the fact that some people just do not want to see LS and her friends in any other light than saintly.
It's all well and good that is, unless the facts of the case matter. I wish I could refuse to see things in the world as possibilities because they were "offensive".

Ouch. The IDS should not be lumped together in this group. It is an entirely student-run publication and the article was a welcome letter published three weeks ago. At least they addressed it instead of staying mum. Saying 40,000 students have your back is just an innocent way for an upperclassman to make the newbies feel welcome. Literally they could have said 39, 990 students (that would be minus 10 of LS's friends) have your back.

They have covered this case better than the local newspaper and with integrity too. No, I don't work there. I am a fan tho. It's one of the best college student newspapers in the country fwiw.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81945

Jupiter - how is that helping with newbies? They are just learning the ropes and Lauren got either picked up by a random stranger or one of her friends paniced and hid her body. If I were LE, I wouldn't risk another possible abduction, unless of course they KNOW FOR A FACT, who did this.

Ouch. The IDS should not be lumped together in this group. It is an entirely student-run publication and the article was a welcome letter published three weeks ago. At least they addressed it instead of staying mum. Saying 40,000 students have your back is just an innocent way for an upperclassman to make the newbies feel welcome. Literally they could have said 39, 990 students (that would be minus 10 of LS's friends) have your back.

They have covered this case better than the local newspaper and with integrity too. No, I don't work there. I am a fan tho. It's one of the best college student newspapers in the country fwiw.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81945

I understand the point, and that Bton is a great warm and safe place. But I would have much rather seen a piece that spent just a little time encouraging incoming students to not only expect the community to be there for them, but to take care of themselves as well. Lauren could have been a lesson to use that no matter how safe or caring a community, one always needs to be careful. Incoming freshman are out on their own for the first time in their life. I think more should have been said about how LS's disappearance can help teach how to make things better, and less on how wonderful the response was.
It really irked me, but I apologize for offending anyone.

From the NewsOnLaurenS twitter feed: New Spierer plea: "Don't be sorry, just start being honest" - bit.ly/ntBbAm (via @13 WTHR)

Mamamia and Elmomom, I'm sure once the students arrive and move into their dorms there will be a lot of forthcoming information. I dunno, they may have even given the s's material to take home. That said, the type of article or letter you're describing Elmomom is typically published when ALL students are here in the fall, not just the frosh. What I'd like to see is the provost/president send the message. Maybe they will via mass email and during mass presentations, etc. I would expect so anyway.

The tricky part is there is the city of Bloomington with an entirely separate LE than on campus. LS was in the city. I don't think there has ever been an abduction on campus.

I hark back to the Morgan Harrington case. LE is trying desperately to place Morgan squarely on the Copeley Road bridge instead of the James Paul Jones Arena, heaven forbid.

I am wondering about this latest plea from C. Spierer, "Don't be sorry.. Just start being honest!!"...

I am wondering if this a generalized plea because they feel this is how one of the friends may be feeling.. Or have they heard through the grapevine that some of the friends who their pleas are directed at, are making or have made these statements to others that they are sorry that they can't help.. Or.. Possibly the Spierer's may have even attempted to talk to one or more of Lauren's friends themselves to see if they could get anywhere with them.. And then came away feeling as tho one that they'd spoken too was starting to crack, conscience getting to them..etc.. And that friend was apologizing to the Spierer's themselves...

I suppose it could honestly be any of these 3 things
Or maybe something totally different.. But it's IMO that the parents pleas seem to be getting much more specific, not as broad or general, like the focus is closing in on a particular target.. these pleas
Seem to be following the same suit and narrow their focus as well..

I am wondering about this latest plea from C. Spierer, "Don't be sorry.. Just start being honest!!"...

I am wondering if this a generalized plea because they feel this is how one of the friends may be feeling.. Or have they heard through the grapevine that some of the friends who their pleas are directed at, are making or have made these statements to others that they are sorry that they can't help.. Or.. Possibly the Spierer's may have even attempted to talk to one or more of Lauren's friends themselves to see if they could get anywhere with them.. And then came away feeling as tho one that they'd spoken too was starting to crack, conscience getting to them..etc.. And that friend was apologizing to the Spierer's themselves...

I suppose it could honestly be any of these 3 things
Or maybe something totally different.. But it's IMO that the parents pleas seem to be getting much more specific, not as broad or general, like the focus is closing in on a particular target.. these pleas
Seem to be following the same suit and narrow their focus as well..

Wow. A piece of hope.

<snip> But I would have much rather seen a piece that spent just a little time encouraging incoming students to not only expect the community to be there for them, but to take care of themselves as well.
<snip>It really irked me, but I apologize for offending anyone.

I totally agree btw with your angle on the content. We recently had to install some fairly complex crosswalks in key locations because of accidents, in many cases due to s's on their cellphones and not paying attention both as pedestrians and drivers. There's only so much that can be done.

No offense taken. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member