IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds pretty good.
The witness was adamant about the time being 3:38. In initial news reports (no link) I recall that she (the witness) stated that she double checked the time on her cell and it was 3:38am.

What news report? As far as I know Tony Gatto was the only one who reported on this supposed 3:38 am witness.

Great job with the press conference Skigirl, the text saves lots of time - thanks!!!

Link back to your post instead of quoting to save space:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6884658&postcount=508"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - IN IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #16[/ame]

Most interesting info!

Wish there were conferences like this for Holly Bobo...

Thanks - I'm glad people are finding them useful. That one with Qualters took forever - he's a big fan of not saying much with lots and lots of words.

Yes - the press conference that I transcribed took place on 6/13 -- the same day that blog post was written. I'd never heard of Lee Manning before, but they seemed excited to have him in Bloomington.

Thanks for pointing that out, I see you mentioned that right at the beginning of your post - I should have seen that, sorry.

What news report? As far as I know Tony Gatto was the only one who reported on this supposed 3:38 am witness.

This one is just another news team reporting on Tony's story:

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ac/2011...witness_to_lauren_spierer_case_blogger_says_1

The original story from TG's site included this:

Bloomington police today confirmed the existence of a witness in the Lauren Spierer case who says she saw the Indiana University student at the corner of College Ave. and 10th St., as reported by TonyGatto.com six days ago.

Police, however, believe the witness is mistaken in insisting that the sighting was precisely at 3:38am. Captain Joe Qualters says it may have been as much as an hour earlier.

“What I’m here to tell you is that we have reviewed the video, not only the timeline that we have been using, … and where Lauren does in fact appear … she does appear in that video with someone that is already known to investigators. We have also reviewed it during the time period where it has been reported, essentially an hour later (at 3:38 a.m.), and we do not find any evidence that supports that information,” Qualters said.

I haven't found the article yet but the witness claims that she is not mistaken about the time.
People in Bloomington have said they've listened to her story and she believes she saw LS at 3:38.

Here's another article:
LE addresses mystery man:

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/22/news.qp-4391232.sto

This one is just another news team reporting on Tony's story:

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ac/2011...witness_to_lauren_spierer_case_blogger_says_1

The original story from TG's site included this:

Bloomington police today confirmed the existence of a witness in the Lauren Spierer case who says she saw the Indiana University student at the corner of College Ave. and 10th St., as reported by TonyGatto.com six days ago.

Police, however, believe the witness is mistaken in insisting that the sighting was precisely at 3:38am. Captain Joe Qualters says it may have been as much as an hour earlier.

“What I’m here to tell you is that we have reviewed the video, not only the timeline that we have been using, … and where Lauren does in fact appear … she does appear in that video with someone that is already known to investigators. We have also reviewed it during the time period where it has been reported, essentially an hour later (at 3:38 a.m.), and we do not find any evidence that supports that information,” Qualters said.

I haven't found the article yet but the witness claims that she is not mistaken about the time.
People in Bloomington have said they've listened to her story and she believes she saw LS at 3:38.

Here's another article:
LE addresses mystery man:

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/22/news.qp-4391232.sto

They're just re-hashing my story. I am the only one reporting this.

quote...“What I’m here to tell you is that we have reviewed the video, not only the timeline that we have been using, … and where Lauren does in fact appear … she does appear in that video with someone that is already known to investigators. We have also reviewed it during the time period where it has been reported, essentially an hour later (at 3:38 a.m.), and we do not find any evidence that supports that information,” Qualters said....end of quote.

I don't own a cell phone....
But when daylight saving time started. we had to roll back our home clocks
an hour earlier.........do cell phones automatically set themselves back and forth for DST..........They seem not to dispute her seeing someone, just disputed the time.......Is that because around 238am they seen her on video at tenth and college. and then she walked the side-street there that connects college with the alley and she turn right to walk up north towards eleven street from the alley that caught her on tape at 251am.

My phone, an Android automatically sets itself for DST.

quote...“What I’m here to tell you is that we have reviewed the video, not only the timeline that we have been using, … and where Lauren does in fact appear … she does appear in that video with someone that is already known to investigators. We have also reviewed it during the time period where it has been reported, essentially an hour later (at 3:38 a.m.), and we do not find any evidence that supports that information,” Qualters said....end of quote.

I don't own a cell phone....
But when daylight saving time started. we had to roll back our home clocks
an hour earlier.........do cell phones automatically set themselves back and forth for DST..........They seem not to dispute her seeing someone, just disputed the time.......Is that because around 238am they seen her on video at tenth and college. and then she walked the side-street there that connects college with the alley and she turn right to walk up north towards eleven street from the alley that caught her on tape at 251am.
Cell phones generally reset the time automatically for DST. It's an optional feature on my iPhone, as it is on most phones. Few people would have reason not to use the automatic feature, though. Other reasons could account for time discrepancies. I would hope/think LE made the necessary adjustments in calculating their timeline.

It's really hard to think she is still missing. I mean, it's hard with any missing person (I still have my heart strings attached to finding Kyron), but this one was sort of presented as "She is missing. 10 people were with her that night. We have video. Big reward. We were are all over this case!!"

But, as the days go on, it isn't like this at all.

I am sorry if this has been mentioned already. I try to keep up but sometimes I skip a screen accidentally.

Lauren's parents had Laps for Lauren today, for searchers to show solidarity for their effort to find Lauren. And I guess to keep it all in the public's mind.

- - - - - -
This is snipped from an USA Today article:

"We need people to speak up if they know anything," the rabbi said. [the Rabbie helping organize searches]

"We would love to see everyone who is helping us continue our efforts to find our dear sweet Lauren," the Spierers stated on the website, http://findlauren.com.
- - - - - - - -

So many students have gone for the summer. This is a very frustrating case. It reminds me of Kyron's case. Where people just hoped that the police were more on the ball than they actually turned out to be. The more time that passes, the worse. It is just an extremely upsetting case. It is hard to tell from afar just exactly what is happening. Reading between the lines, it seems the parents think her friends know something. I can't really make an opinion from here. Other than it all seems very odd.

Personally, I feel that they need to concentrate on finding Lauren's body, because if they do, there will be DNA on that will point to someone. I can understand having the searchers reunion, for more than just a get together. I think it would be interesting to see who showed and who didn't.

Please LE, research areas already searched!!

I'm not sure DNA will help if they do find Lauren, unless perhaps she was sexually assaulted and/or has DNA under her fingerprints...and even then, only if the DNA can be matched. But finding her could help, depending on the location, if LE has cell pings we don't know about.

But I SO wish they would find her, or that someone would...

It is frustrating because I think the chance of them finding DNA is very slim and if there is some DNA on her (if she is deceased) the longer they don't find her the harder it will become more difficult to recover it.

A good clear cause of death would help, but even that may be more and more difficult to determine if they do not find her quickly.

I wish someone would just talk and/or someone accidentally stumble upon her. If it is this frustrating for us, I cannot imagine how her family, true friends, and LE feel.

I still believe the actual police mention of the 3:38AM witness was intentionally vague and confusing. It would've been easy to speak in plain english to talk about the 3:38AM sighting but for some reason he did not. When I read news reports or even posters trying to paraphrase and wxplain what was said... I just think they're typically wrong because in reality nothing was said. ...It just took LE several words to say nothing. For whatever reason.

Can anyone find out.
If this was hers?
Would the parents know perhaps?
If she was even wearing one that night.
It probably isn't. But had to post anyways.
laurenorangetree.png

5910002779_2f76017bef_z.jpg

There is something that I just do not comprehend. If the "investigation" now has become a waiting game, and a game of putting pressure on the POIs, I do not understand why LE is not actually doing so. I would think that releasing selected pieces of info would help put pressure on, not hurt. I used to think that BPD was holding a lot of cards close to their vest... now I just think they are floundering. I read an opinion posted somewhere who said that the BPD is doing exactly the same thing they did in Behrman's case - keeping their mouths shut, and they ended up putting a guy in prison for that. This person was thinking the strategy worked then, and it'll work again. But isn't Jill Behrman's case very controversial? I have heard that many people really think that the real killers were never tried, and that the wrong person was convicted. I worry when there are no details being released, and feel that it is easier then, to hang the case on someone who isn't guilty.
forgive my rambling... it's depressing to go this long with nothing.

I'm sad to say that my gut tells me that LE doesn't have anything to press them with. I think they probably have theories (just like everyone here at WS) but I don't think they have any evidence to support them. If they'd found something at JW's or 5 North, they'd have likely gone after someone. Finding a hair or some DNA there proves nothing - they've already said she was there. Even finding vomit or urine - I believe they've also said she was drunk to LE. While she could have ODd and thrown up beforehand, the defense could just say she threw up on the floor before she left. They'll likely need something really SOLID to go forward b/c don't they want to wait til they're sure of a conviction before making an arrest? I just don't think they have anything solid enough to really be discussing. I'm sorry but I don't think they're keeping quiet to protect their case. I kinda think they don't even have a case, beyond just theories. If I'm right, then it does make me think that LS did not OD or die at 5 North. As often as I think that may be true, I also just really feel that there'd be SOME form of evidence there. Makes me so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member