IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CR and MB have never talked to Lauren's parents about that night. They don't even say why they will not talk.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=84506

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, this subject is now a he said/she said subject, that is if the commenter "Melissa" is in fact MB's mother as she purports to be. She does sound authentic, however, I question why she doesn't contact the Spierer's directly instead of via IDS comments which require an account.

"I am Mike Beth's Mom, and the above article does not accurately reflect his or my feelings. The Spierers have not asked Mike to speak with them, but he has spoken with their investigators, as well as the Bloomington Police. Unfortunately, he has no clue as to what happened to Lauren and thought she was sleeping at a neighbor's apartment. Mike was writing two papers for summer classes and has his computer as proof of the time line. The Beth family extends their prayers to the Spierer family. We would meet with you any time you wish. This is a horrific tragedy, and although I do not know you or Lauren personally, Mike and I would do anything to help. I am commenting to set the record straight. We are always praying for Lauren and her family.'

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, this subject is now a he said/she said subject, that is if the commenter "Melissa" is in fact MB's mother as she purports to be. She does sound authentic, however, I question why she doesn't contact the Spierer's directly instead of via IDS comments which require an account.

"I am Mike Beth's Mom, and the above article does not accurately reflect his or my feelings. The Spierers have not asked Mike to speak with them, but he has spoken with their investigators, as well as the Bloomington Police. Unfortunately, he has no clue as to what happened to Lauren and thought she was sleeping at a neighbor's apartment. Mike was writing two papers for summer classes and has his computer as proof of the time line. The Beth family extends their prayers to the Spierer family. We would meet with you any time you wish. This is a horrific tragedy, and although I do not know you or Lauren personally, Mike and I would do anything to help. I am commenting to set the record straight. We are always praying for Lauren and her family.'

Maybe she has, but it still feels necessary to defend herself more generally. :dunno:

If BPD told the PsOI to refrain from discussing the case with anyone, why didn't BPD tell the Spierers that they should not expect any communication from the PsOI? The Spierers have repeatedly commented on the deafening silence from Lauren's friends and acquaintances. Puzzling.

If BPD told the PsOI to refrain from discussing the case with anyone, why didn't BPD tell the Spierers that they should not expect any communication from the PsOI? The Spierers have repeatedly commented on the deafening silence from Lauren's friends and acquaintances. Puzzling.

And then to add to that puzzle the comment by MB's supposed mother of how the Spierer's have not asked to speak to her son. It's like they're pointing the finger at each other when in fact, it's an active investigation so no POI should be talking to the parents at least not w/o their lawyer.

If the police don't do everything in their power to help find Lauren, including sharing info with Dietl to whatever extent is possible and helpful, then they can just turn in their badges because to do otherwise is just childish.

Dietl's comments created a sideshow but one that occurred months ago--water under the bridge. He's working for the Spierer's again and apparently, in compliance with the state. That's all that matters.

The police don't just hand over thier papers evidence interviews and what have you even if they are helping a P I. And they never will fully thats a good way to get everything you have thrown out on who knows what when someone is arrested and taken to court. Just ask Fred Murry He is suing the police to get the information for his P I and that case is some years old now . It's not and never will be something the police do exspecially in a case that is some what fresh maybe not to us or her parents but it's not a cold case or anything..I llike the idea of the familly bringing in thier own Investigators but you don't start slinging mud at the only people that can point you in the right direction even if you think they have dropped the ball so far ..

And then to add to that puzzle the comment by MB's supposed mother of how the Spierer's have not asked to speak to her son. It's like they're pointing the finger at each other when in fact, it's an active investigation so no POI should be talking to the parents at least not w/o their lawyer.
It is also puzzling that MB's mother now feels free to discuss the case on the IDS web site.

Considering all the construction going on in the area when LS went missing, still the chance that she might have simply fallen into an open construction site and simply got covered up without ever being seen... (This was mentioned by someone in an earlier thread.)

My thoughts turned to this after Gail Nowacki Palmgren was found so close to home in her car that had gone off the road.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150209&page=44

Considering all the construction going on in the area when LS went missing, still the chance that she might have simply fallen into an open construction site and simply got covered up without ever being seen... (This was mentioned by someone in an earlier thread.)

My thoughts turned to this after Gail Nowacki Palmgren was found so close to home in her car that had gone off the road.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150209&page=44

Possible, but...
1. Construction sites are usually fenced off.
2. The search dogs did not find her.
3. It was June. Construction activities usually stop at night but resume after dawn rather than while it is still dark. Someone is likely to have seen her.

I had wondered whether or not she might have tried to get into a building that was vacant for the summer (similar to the case of Wade Steffey news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2007a/070320PoliceSteffey.html) but she probably would have been found when students returned to campus in August.

According to what CS told the HT, they will be splitting their time between NY and Bloomington. They are leaving now for the holidays... I think we can all expect that they will still have a significant presence in Bloomington.

Prayers for the family. I cannot imagine trying to get through the first holidays without your child, let alone not even knowing what happened to her.

Possible, but...
1. Construction sites are usually fenced off.
2. The search dogs did not find her.
3. It was June. Construction activities usually stop at night but resume after dawn rather than while it is still dark. Someone is likely to have seen her.

I had wondered whether or not she might have tried to get into a building that was vacant for the summer (similar to the case of Wade Steffey news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2007a/070320PoliceSteffey.html) but she probably would have been found when students returned to campus in August.

The big construction site directly across from 5 North was wide open and had a wide, deep drainage trough dug around the perimeter. But there's no way she would have not been seen.

There were several large houses very close by that were under renovation. I'm sure they searched those within the first few days, hopefully with the dogs.

This makes me wonder though: Wouldn't the dogs have picked up her scent at the corner of 11th and College if in fact she was ever there?! I don't recall this ever being asked or discussed. Anyone?

The big construction site directly across from 5 North was wide open and had a wide, deep drainage trough dug around the perimeter. But there's no way she would have not been seen.

There were several large houses very close by that were under renovation. I'm sure they searched those within the first few days, hopefully with the dogs.

This makes me wonder though: Wouldn't the dogs have picked up her scent at the corner of 11th and College if in fact she was ever there?! I don't recall this ever being asked or discussed. Anyone?
I don't think there was ever anything official released about what the dogs found and what they didn't, just that dogs were used to search the area. There was a rumor that the dogs lost the scent in a parking or vacant lot.
http://uwire.com/2011/06/07/new-details-surface-the-story-of-lauren-spierers-night/
http://tonygatto.wordpress.com/2011...video-lauren-spierer-was-stumbling-fell-down/
http://tonygatto.wordpress.com/2011...oned-in-lauren-spierer-missing-person-case-2/

Whatever, Mike Beth's mom. *Sigh*.... Just like everyone else, she dodges the one question that matters, and the one that that the Spierers are asking in this article: Why won't he take a POLICE ADMINISTERED POLYGRAPH??

Some of the persons of interest have taken polygraph tests, but they were not administered by the police. A third party administered the test, and although the results were given to police, the Spierers said they were not told what questions were asked or what the exact results were. “It didn’t comfort us at all,” Robert said. “It just frustrated us.”

All Robert said he wants is for them to take a police-administered polygraph test so they can possibly be eliminated from the investigation and resources can be redirected.

Melissa:
I agree the media likes to make people look badly to sell papers. I can not get into all of the facts, but a lie detector was voluntarily taken and passed.

Prayers for the family. I cannot imagine trying to get through the first holidays without your child, let alone not even knowing what happened to her.

Maybe there will be a Chanukah miracle. It sounds cheesy but we can't always hope.

So what would cause MB to think she was sleeping at a neighbors apartment?How did he know where she went after leaving his apartment?If he somehow knew LS went to JR apartment then JR did not exactly "volunteer" that he was the last person to see her.

Strange story from Bloomington, IN
Link is from Times Mail a sister publication to Bloomington's Herald Times so if you have a subscription you can probably find the full story there.
IU student's overnight disappearance still a mystery to police

December 9, 2011

BLOOMINGTON -- Indiana University police continue to investigate a student’s report that he was attacked on campus during a late night jog, and found himself hours later in a wooded area near Griffy Lake, missing his shoes, sweatpants, cell phone and ID.

Campus police say they’ve done two searches, are reviewing security footage of the area and plan to conduct a third in a search for clues as to what happened to the young man.

An 18-year-old freshman told police that he went out for a jog on Union Street about 11 p.m. Nov. 29. He told police that during his run, he became tired and out of breath and started to walk north of Campus View Apartments. That’s when he said he saw a man — described as being possibly a white man with a black jacket and an athletic build — was following him, so he started to jog again, and reported this man started to jog behind him. At this point, the student said he broke into a full sprint and called a female friend for help at 11:48 p.m., telling her to “Help, call someone,” IU police Chief Keith Cash said.

He told police that when the man caught up to him from behind he said, “Don’t do anything stupid. You won’t get hurt,” Cash said. According to a police report, the student told police he felt an object press against his back.

That’s the last thing he remembers for several hours.

http://www.tmnews.com/stories/2011/12/09/news.466568.tms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member