IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was Katelyn Markham who was found near Brookville Indiana. She is a different missing woman. I was referring to Kate McGrayel. She went missing 3 years ago, right now, from the very location where these remains were found. So, if it's Lauren? This would be very strange indeed.

Oh, well that is interesting. I didn't realize anyone else was missing in this area. It does say the body is 'at least' two years and Lauren has been missing since June 2011 not quite two years. I guess they wouldn't know that for sure though without checking records.

The foxnews article says the the remains were found on a ridge that is "quite a hike up" from a rural road.

Assuming that LS was dumped by someone after ODing or some similar scenario, I really doubt that the person doing the dumping would go too far off of a main road. Does that make sense? The perp isn't going to take the time to hike up a ridge. At least in my opinion, s/he would want to get rid of the body without being seen asap.

I still think it's Kate McGrayel. Though her family is being somewhat odd on the Help Find Kate McGrayel facebook page. The page is no longer searchable by google (at least not for me). And her sister? posted something about "people snapping back" due to news reports.

I just hope she's found soon. It's been way too long for her family not to know, and she's a human being and deserves a proper funeral. The pain of losing a child will never go away, but at least there's closure with her no longer being missing.

If you would have told me in June 2011 that in April 2013 LS would still be missing, nobody (and by nobody I mean the POIs) has came forward with information, and no arrests had been made I never would have believed it. At that time it really felt like the next day would be the day, and if not that, then the next day.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/1...ibes-terrible-strain-as-two-year-anniversary/
Lauren Spierer's father describes 'terrible strain' as two-year anniversary of disappearance approaches
Lauren Spierer, a vivacious 20-year-old with a flair for fashion, should be clad in cap and gown next month celebrating her college graduation with classmates at Indiana University. Instead, Spierer's parents are left agonizing over her whereabouts after the young woman disappeared in 2011 without a trace from the streets of downtown Bloomington.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/1...strain-as-two-year-anniversary/#ixzz2QojUiLlq

http://www.lohud.com/article/201304...yssey=mod|newswell|text|News|s&nclick_check=1
No link yet to Lauren Spierer, Indiana cop says of remains
A southern Indiana coroner says skeletal remains found last week at a remote site in Brown County are those of a person who could have been dead for two years or more. The discovery comes 22 months after the disappearance of Lauren Spierer, a 20-year-old Indiana University student from Greenburgh

The foxnews article says the the remains were found on a ridge that is "quite a hike up" from a rural road.

Assuming that LS was dumped by someone after ODing or some similar scenario, I really doubt that the person doing the dumping would go too far off of a main road. Does that make sense? The perp isn't going to take the time to hike up a ridge. At least in my opinion, s/he would want to get rid of the body without being seen asap.

I still think it's Kate McGrayel. Though her family is being somewhat odd on the Help Find Kate McGrayel facebook page. The page is no longer searchable by google (at least not for me). And her sister? posted something about "people snapping back" due to news reports.

I noticed the weird turn they seemed to have taken too. In a wild speculation mode, it makes me wonder if there's potential foul play involved and whether a family member might be under suspicion or something along those lines is going on.

I noticed the weird turn they seemed to have taken too. In a wild speculation mode, it makes me wonder if there's potential foul play involved and whether a family member might be under suspicion or something along those lines is going on.

Agreed - something weird is going on. Now the Help Find Kate FB page isn't even searchable on facebook itself (at least not for me). It is still there though b/c I save the link.

Scrolling all the way down on the fb page, the family states that Kate left a note for her mom indicating that she was leaving and might be gone for a while (totally paraphrasing from what I remember).

If these remains turn out to be Kate, I had originally thought that maybe what she meant in the note was that by leaving, she meant suicide.

Also on the facebook page, the family stated that Kate was caught up in some type of fanatical religious movement and had been living in the woods behind her mom's house. They also said that she had disappeared before for periods of time. Another person posted that they had seen her on IU's campus in the cold without a coat.

So suicide was my original thought. Now with the family acting so weird, I'm not sure. Maybe it was a family member, or maybe it was someone from the religious movement she was sort-of involved with? Or, maybe she froze to death? or was attacked by an animal? or caught in an animal trap? None of the latter explain the note though. Also, she disappeared around Easter 2010, but on the fb page, it's mentioned that someone saw her in Nov 2010.

I guess I just don't understand the family's hostility/defensiveness/general weirdness. And, her brother kind-of started it all by posting in wthr's comments and then getting upset about people mentioning Kate.

Though I can understand them being sad about the fact with all signs pointing to this being Kate, they no longer have the hope that she is still alive.

http://mycase.in.gov/default.aspx If anyone is interested, this site has arrest records and personal court records for the state of IN. It's even got speeding tickets! It isn't complete though. I think some counties/towns don't report their info.

Kate McGrayel's brother is on there a few times (mj possession and it looks like several lumber companies sued him). Kate is even on there as a defendant from a landlord (common with college rentals) that was dismissed when the landlord didn't appear in court.

Watching the events unfold in Boston it makes me wonder about all the material that has been withheld from the public in the LS case. In Boston the public was asked to help and given photos and video.

I wonder if there's really a good reason to play the cards this close to their vest in Bloomington? The only reason I can think to do it is that it might protect the legal case down the road... but it does it at the detriment to actually putting all the cards on the table in finding LS.

Right? Wasn't her family insisting they believed she left at her own free will? This is very odd.

The most telling post on the FB page was the one I alluded to earlier which was from KM's former roommate cautiously describing her mental state. If she was right, it's possible her family is just in denial about the possible outcome and/or trying to protect her. I do think its sad that there were not search parties organized earlier though, since it seems people had a good idea of where she was last seen. (Or maybe there were? I don't know)

In any case... It must be a horrible time for her family, for the Spierers, for anyone with a missing loved one, to get this kind of news.

Or not to get any news at all.

:(

Watching the events unfold in Boston it makes me wonder about all the material that has been withheld from the public in the LS case. In Boston the public was asked to help and given photos and video.

I wonder if there's really a good reason to play the cards this close to their vest in Bloomington? The only reason I can think to do it is that it might protect the legal case down the road... but it does it at the detriment to actually putting all the cards on the table in finding LS.

The possible difference, IMO, is public safety ... and since LE is playing it so close to the vest, one might suspect that they see LS' disappearance as a one-time occurrence vs. a random abduction. Maybe that will turn out to be false, but that's my read at this point, combined with what you noted about protecting any legalities (perhaps including a civil suit).

I live an hour from Boston, and my son has a number of friends at Northeastern. I even got an email from my son's school about neighboring UofMass—Dartsmouth being locked down. I think the info was provided to 1) help solve the case (which it did!) and 2) keep people compliant (which it also did).

Then again, the threat was very real and public from the start, whereas what happened to LS is still such a sad mystery.

The possible difference, IMO, is public safety ... and since LE is playing it so close to the vest, one might suspect that they see LS' disappearance as a one-time occurrence vs. a random abduction. Maybe that will turn out to be false, but that's my read at this point, combined with what you noted about protecting any legalities (perhaps including a civil suit).

I live an hour from Boston, and my son has a number of friends at Northeastern. I even got an email from my son's school about neighboring UofMass—Dartsmouth being locked down. I think the info was provided to 1) help solve the case (which it did!) and 2) keep people compliant (which it also did).

Then again, the threat was very real and public from the start, whereas what happened to LS is still such a sad mystery.

OT-Is your son at Tabor? Just curious-my daughter graduated from there in 2008

OT-Is your son at Tabor? Just curious-my daughter graduated from there in 2008

OT: I've heard really good things about Tabor. But no, Roger Williams U. I didn't really worry too much until the school sent that e-mail! Such a crazy week ...

Did you guys see this?

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/south_central/bloomington-assault-suspect-arrested

My eyes are still set on the POI... However, I snooped around this creep's social media profiles and was a little disturbed about a couple of things. I hope police have checked him out thoroughly, as he was in Bloomington the week Lauren went missing.

Two immediate things that could be noteworthy: He's 23 now so would have been 21ish when LS went missing, thus close in age to her friend group. Also, he's wearing an IU polo shirt in the news photo.

I'm having computer problems today (it keeps freezing up at wishtv.com), but is/was he an IU student?

Also, we've speculated off and on that someone slightly removed from the POIs could be involved ... a third party of sorts with drug connections, etc. Perhaps he fits that bill ...

imkeylime, I totally didn't notice the IU shirt.

Based on what I saw online, I would say he is definitely not a student now, and hasn't been for the last couple of years. I didn't see any indication that he was ever a student, but it's possible. Around the time that Lauren went missing, it appears that he had already been in some trouble with the law and was pretty unbalanced. Since then, based on his record and the article, it looks like he has spent at least some of the time in jail or on the street. He looks pretty different in his pictures from a couple of years ago. It's possible he could have passed as a student, or tried to, if he wasn't one.

He gives me the creeps.

imkeylime, I totally didn't notice the IU shirt.

Based on what I saw online, I would say he is definitely not a student now, and hasn't been for the last couple of years. I didn't see any indication that he was ever a student, but it's possible. Around the time that Lauren went missing, it appears that he had already been in some trouble with the law and was pretty unbalanced. Since then, based on his record and the article, it looks like he has spent at least some of the time in jail or on the street. He looks pretty different in his pictures from a couple of years ago. It's possible he could have passed as a student, or tried to, if he wasn't one.

He gives me the creeps.

Upon closer look, it's a polo shirt vs. a t-shirt (I just edited my post). IDK if it means anything or not ... maybe he was a wannabe vs. a student, maybe he'd worked there in some capacity, maybe he just liked the Hoosiers, or maybe someone gave him the shirt? I wonder if he ever hung out at Sports. From what I read on-line, a mix of students and locals go there (as compared with Kilroys on Kirkwood, which is more student-centric).

He gives me the creeps, too, Abby.

PS: FWIW, the shirt looks like an older one. It's not featured in any current on-line inventory, though there's a slightly similar vintage one for sale on Ebay.

Also, we've speculated off and on that someone slightly removed from the POIs could be involved ... a third party of sorts with drug connections, etc. Perhaps he fits that bill ...

I was wondering if SJHD was maybe their supplier? They had to get the drugs from someone.

So, if he caused her disappearance, what happened? Just theorizing here...

Assuming the POIs' stories are true, and the last time she was seen was rounding the corner to go home, was SJHD waiting to grab her after she left 5N?

(Actually, I've wondered if JW could have done that. If the POIs are telling the truth. JW knew she was out with other guys, so maybe he was following/stalking her.)

Anyway I would think that if SJHD was also at 5N, and the other POIs know that HE caused LS's demise, the other POIs wouldn't have any problem ratting him out. Especially if he wasn't really a friend of theirs. He doesn't seem to fit the mold of the typical people they would hang out with - affluent families, etc. Why wouldn't the other POIs just all agree to blame him. "He gave LS bad drugs. We told her not to take them and that he was bad news." Three against one, whether that's really the way it went down or not.

I'm not putting too much emphasis on his shirt. My teenage SILs pick up shirts from random colleges at Goodwill and wear them.

I guess I still go back to the main POIs. They couldn't get their stories straight at first and how big of a jerk is a guy (JR) who doesn't walk a shoeless, phoneless, bruised, drunk girl home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdw1990