IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep reading that Tim Miller's group is meeting with LE to see how they can be of help, but not if they plan to begin an actual search-does anyone know?

Police zero in on vehicles near Spierer disappearance
Police are working to enhance video from the area where missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer was last seen, with a particular eye on one or two vehicles.
Bloomington police Capt. Joe Qualters said authorities are contemplating the release of surveillance video from between 10th and 11th streets that shows at least one car, possibly two, that were in the area about 4:15 a.m. on June 3, the last time Spierer, 20, was seen.
More...

What is the reason for the great tension perceived between media and LE, I wonder?

In order for LE and Prosecutors to build a case, they need solid evidence.
In order for perps to go free, they need to hide, destroy, and eliminate evidence. Perps (calculating or accidental) can't think of everything. However, Media (and for that matter Websleuth.com) speculation can actually help perps to cover their tracks. So, LE SHOULD only release what information is necessary or timely until the case is (hopefully rightfully) solved.

The Media has a different goal, to report information and to sell advertising.
The advertising is more valuable if more people are consuming the information. To keep people consuming the information the Media needs to feed a thirsty audience. Sometimes that's the facts coming from LE (as it drips out, or drops out by accident), sometimes it's true investigative journalism(a dying breed), sometimes it's speculative (like most of what goes on here), sometimes it's utter nonsense. The bottom line is that the Media needs fuel for their fire (audience and advertisers) and that is quite often with LE who has the task of collecting evidence sufficient for the prosecutor to have a case.

Because these objectives are very different, this can often lead to a conflict.
If the Media is not getting enough fuel it can do some legwork and start embarassing LE at times possibly interfering with LE work. At the same time LE can feed the Media tidbits which can strategically work in their favor. On the outside, it's not usually obvious what is going on. Yet with the tool in our shed called "critical thinking" we can get some approximation of what is going on.

hope that helps.

We really cannot compare this though. Natalee dissapeared in Aruba, on spring break on a very sketchy tourist town.

Lauren vanished in her OWN college town in Bloomington, Indiana.

We went to Aruba 2 years ago, and it is truly not sketchy. I felt very safe there. All the locals were sooo nice and respectful. They are very happy people. It is a very tiny island and the building construction is very new and very clean.

In order for LE and Prosecutors to build a case, they need solid evidence.
In order for perps to go free, they need to hide, destroy, and eliminate evidence. Perps (calculating or accidental) can't think of everything. However, Media (and for that matter Websleuth.com) speculation can actually help perps to cover their tracks. So, LE SHOULD only release what information is necessary or timely until the case is (hopefully rightfully) solved.

The Media has a different goal, to report information and to sell advertising.
The advertising is more valuable if more people are consuming the information. To keep people consuming the information the Media needs to feed a thirsty audience. Sometimes that's the facts coming from LE (as it drips out, or drops out by accident), sometimes it's true investigative journalism(a dying breed), sometimes it's speculative (like most of what goes on here), sometimes it's utter nonsense. The bottom line is that the Media needs fuel for their fire (audience and advertisers) and that is quite often with LE who has the task of collecting evidence sufficient for the prosecutor to have a case.

Because these objectives are very different, this can often lead to a conflict.
If the Media is not getting enough fuel it can do some legwork and start embarassing LE at times possibly interfering with LE work. At the same time LE can feed the Media tidbits which can strategically work in their favor. On the outside, it's not usually obvious what is going on. Yet with the tool in our shed called "critical thinking" we can get some approximation of what is going on.

hope that helps.

I know all that, just wondered if there was a specific reason in this case...

BBM
This is important. Maybe it wasn't CR on this video since he is supposedly passed out in bed by now.

My feeling here is that there is only one Video around 3:00 am and it's prior to 3:00am. LE may not have disclosed the exact time of the video and said "around 3am" and then reporters estimate on both sides of 3:00 so in some cases it fits with LS/CR's trek to CR's apt (would imagine him staggering and perhaps being propped up by her at times)
At the moment this appears to be one of those discrepancies that isn't significant. That's what happens when you get information a few sources removed. However, if there was a second video after 3:00am... after Amin found the purse then it would definitely be significant.

There is no video of her at 4:30 am. Police have stated the time she is on video is at 3:15-3:30 am, not 4:30 am. There is supposedly a statement from JR that he saw her leaving at 4:30 am. There has been a lot of inaccurate reporting in the case, the msnbc article appears to be one of those instances, unless they mean JR's statement as "surveillance."

A few days ago, LE or someone had said they had a video of Lauren at around 4:15 am and then they retracted it. Can someone find he article?

My feeling here is that there is only one Video around 3:00 am and it's prior to 3:00am. LE may not have disclosed the exact time of the video and said "around 3am" and then reporters estimate on both sides of 3:00 so in some cases it fits with LS/CR's trek to CR's apt (would imagine him staggering and perhaps being propped up by her at times)
At the moment this appears to be one of those discrepancies that isn't significant. That's what happens when you get information a few sources removed. However, if there was a second video after 3:00am... after Amin found the purse then it would definitely be significant.

The Captain at yesterday's presser stated the time of the video is around 3:15, 3:30 AM:

"I believe that was in the area of 3:15, 3:30," said Capt. Qualters. "That would be somewhere north of 10th Street."

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-surv...spierer-last-spotted-20110612,0,7227876.story

Not sure if we had this. We assumed they were hers, but now they're confirmed to be her keys found on a railing.
Bloomington Police Captain Joseph Qualters told reporters Lauren Spierer's keys were found on the railing of an apartment building near where she was last seen June 3rd...
"I believe that was in the area of 3:15, 3:30," said Capt. Qualters. "That would be somewhere north of 10th Street."
http://www.fox59.com/news/crime/wxi...spierer-last-spotted-20110612,0,2772229.story

20/21 is not really young love anymore... I'd say young love is more like 15/16. At 20/21 relationships get a lot more serious nad mature.

Honestly, I think it would be really stupid for these guys to be covering up an accident for so long.

Either someone harmed her intentionally - and the bf seems like the only one with a motive - or a stranger snatched her off the streets at 4am when she was walking alone.

I agree at least as far as a conspiracy between JW and his friends(if those are the "guys"). If that were the case, there should be quite a bit of evidence to rule this in or out by now, between cameras, cell phones, alibis, etc... I also think a conspiracy between CR/MB/JR and others present when LS went to CR/MB's would break down. (The exception being, and this may include those students that skipped town, an atmosphere of casual drug use. That is a conspiracy that students often can keep going indefinitely)

This is why I think JR has become the most important person in the case now. He has said the least, and considering he is the last person to admit seeing her alive, in my mind he is extremely culpable right now. I've seen nothing to get him off the hook; not one statement, not one witness, not one piece of evidence. The buck stopped with JR. By all accounts JR didn't seem like the person to just randomly murder someone, so to me, the probability of an accidental death, most likely involving drugs is the most likely scenario.

Also, I do carefully consider what I post here. It would be irresponsible to post items that could tip off the guilty or give their lawyers fuel for their defense. Definitely anyone on the ground in Bloomington with information should take it directly to LE and not post it here (JMO)

A drug distribution ring on a campus like this could have a value of millions of dollars. If LS's death was accidental yet occurred in the midst of that ring, the silence and erasers would be coming out, not to keep quiet about what happened to LS per se, but to protect the multi-million dollar enterprise, the reputations of those linked to it, and of course none of them would want to serve hard time in prison for running a business that thrives on partying students. And to some degree, consider that if LE looks the other way at underage drinking as part of the reality and economy of the area, it's possible that some LE view certain kinds of drug use the same way and therefore don't harass students (and of course it's not out of the question that LE can sometimes be involved in kickbacks or other favors too). When Salzman says there is something much bigger here... this is what I see... a large drug enterprise with various players. An organization like that needs a structure, even if it has rogue elements, to keep the money flowing.

If that's the case, it would take Millions in reward money to crack that open, not $140,000. Students exposing that sort of thing would be risking their lives.

Hopefully, the number of POIs has been reduced:

"While that may have been an initial number of individuals … keep in mind that is a fluid number for us," Qualters said. "That is a number that changes every day because of the people that we speak with. The people can change."

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28220353/detail.html

In this case though police have released very little evidence. Either the police themselves don't have a clue, or they are keeping all that evidence really close to the vest.

You know, following other cases, Bobo Palmgren, etc., I would say that they have released way more info. Although we have the cameras to thank for that.

Can a local pin-point the general area of these new sightings? I do not know where north is. TIA

College Ave runs north to south. Eleventh St is north of 10th St.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Police for the first time today acknowledged that they have received information that college student Lauren Spierer may have overdosed on cocaine and that the student or students who were with her panicked and disposed of her body.

But he said detectives have not ruled that, or any other possibility, out in their investigation into the missing student.

"It's absolutely critical for us to be open minded," he said. "There is no shortage of information coming in."

http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...r-Cops-acknowledge-rumor-missing-student-OD-d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member