IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also believe that the Spierer are and have been operating under deep hurt and resentment as to how their most precious daughter, really just a sprite of woman, was treated by those young men. Unchivalrous is the best one can say about those creatures who just left a "friend" the way they did Lauren, in her condition. Then refusing to cooperate fully for fear of implicating selves more, though frankly, most anyone who is in the know about law and police matters would agree that what they did was the smartest path to take, and I would bet the Spierers would have so advised their daughters to do, had they gotten so implicated in such a situation where it was very possible they would be suspects. Those familes were all cut from the exact same cloth. but the Spierers were unlucky enough that their child was on the victim side of this.

One can retain a lawyer but still cooperate with an investigation and the parents of a victim. One can retain a lawyer and not fully cooperate, but still show some compassion towards the victim and her family. How people act in times of crisis is a true test of character. I think the Spierers have shown incredible restraint, courage and grace over the past few years in light of what they have had to deal with. I can't say the same of the POI and some of their family members.

This must be an incredibly difficult time, yet again, for Lauren's friends and family. Thinking of them, as we all hope for a break in her case.

It really does drive that point home and it does make you wonder what the theory (ies) would be if that phone wasn't there. Even with DNA evidence found (if there was any) I don't recall anything in his laundry list of past crimes that would necessarily mean there would be a sample of DNA in the database to compare any found at the crime scene to him. Fingerprints you'd expect would be, but that would assume he left any.

True. At the same time, look at the evidence and differences in behavior that have already been reported in Hannah's case. He not only left his phone behind, but he didn't come home that night or show up to work the next day. He had scratches on his arms and blood in his car. He possibly made comments to his stepdad and coworkers that are relevant.

It makes me think that somewhere, there must be someone who noticed something or had questions about the behavior of someone they knew in the day(s) surrounding Lauren's disappearance.

Can't wrap my head around this, another tragedy in Bloomington.

Someone posted in the Herald Times comments that SR45 was closed past where her body was found. Possibly causing him to make a snap decision and many mistakes? Makes me wonder if he was heading somewhere? And what else might be found......

Hi, all. It's nice to see familiar names and activity here. I didn't realize Lauren's thread was still open. I came back via Hannah. I've very little time these days to be on board but will try to keep up and share what may (or not) be pertinent.

I'm recalling the Harley Davidson event in Brown County for Lauren. Her parents were there and her uncle rode. It was well attended. The riders rode through the hills and hollers, stopping on their way to raise awareness about Lauren. This did not take place in any other area. I had the sense that there was a reason, beyond general awareness, for being there.

Wondering if Hannah's killer is fond of the Lake Lemon area, here's what I found about whether they searched Lake Lemon for Lauren. I take it that the search was on foot and not in the water. Does anyone know? I sort of recall that the water was too muddy (it's a shallow lake) but I could be confusing it with another place as that often seems to be the case.

By From IDS report | IDS
POSTED AT 11:23 AM ON Jun. 5, 2011

The Bloomington Police Department and family and friends of missing woman Lauren Spierer are searching Lake Griffy, Lake Lemon and Lake Monroe today.

And FWIW I can't help thinking about one of the psychics describing a scene that matches the photos of where Hannah was found. I remember because on my drives alone searching for her, I was looking for that type of location.

As for DM, Hannah's murder suspect may be bright and a good trivia player but the fact that he used his phone in 2012 to call the police using the same phone he has now, is not the mark of a perp who leaves no trace behind. I wonder if his obsession with Lauren's case make him want to act it out in real life.

Nice to see you post Jupiter. Funny, back in the old days I seem to recall a 5 and 10 cent store in mainstreet Bloomington with your moniker..had old creaky wooden floors... Anyway..that is what I think of when I see yr post. So, welcome back, wise one.

Just to mention this, since it's popping up on social media, but during the Jill Behrman disappearance there was an incident that happened in Elletsville (girl grabbed but managed to get away) that authorities thought might be related. And a sketch of that man went out. So people revisiting the sketch think it looks like DM. Of course how DM looked 15 years ago would be important because looking like the sketch now doesn't necessarily mean anything. Of course someone was convicted in the JB case, but AFAIK he has always maintained he was innocent. And technically, this sketch was developed in relation to an incident that police thought might be related to JB. So if you want to make the leap the man in the sketch is DM, you don't necessarily have to make the leap the person serving time for JB's murder it not guilty.

The topic is interesting, but I'm not sure how probative it is. But I thought I'd mention it since I'm not sure how widespread the posts about the similarities in the sketch and DM will make it past the Indiana area.

Sketch can be seen here:
http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Jill_Behrman

Follow up from the FBI agent that recently took an interest in Lauren's case-

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/promising-leads-developing-in-lauren-spierer-case

Interesting... When asked if the police withhold information from the public (based on a comment the interviewer said was spurred by BPD saying they have information not released to the public to compared the JS and HW cases, the former FBI agent said this:

"I have not dealt with a case where the police have released so little information" ...And he emphasized "little information"...

Interesting that the 'promising new leads' in question (in the above article) are not related to Hannah's case

Still, the similarities between the two cases are not lost on him. But so far, Garrett said, his investigation into Spierer's mystery is taking a different path than Wilson's.
Could there be a link? I suppose there could," he said. "(But) I would say based on the story lines that I'm developing -- and I don't know if they're fact yet -- (they) would not fit that scenario. But I'm really open to anything that will solve this case and help us find Lauren."

The FBI agent seems to be interested in the POI and implies that LE has more evidence than we know about

What's encouraging is some of these leads are very specific about people involved, their interactions with Lauren the night that she disappeared, what possibly happened to her that night and who might be involved in her disappearance," Garrett said...

"I have not dealt with a case where the police released so little information," he said. "I guarantee you they know a lot more. I'm sure they've looked at cellphone traffic of every person she was with the night she disappeared."

Still, the info he is receiving from 2nd and 3rd hand sources could also just reflect popular rumors. He reiterates that they don't know if the cases could be connected.

I don't know what to think right now, but at least Lauren's case is getting attention again with possibly new leads and a fresh set of questions

This latest article about "promising leads" from an FBI agent who took an interest in the LS case confuses me. Is he a retired agent investigating on his own, is he working as a PI or is he working in an official capacity?

Seems to me there has been some movement in this case as of late. I think the possible connection to DM could be a smokescreen.

2015 is the year we get answers JMO

This latest article about "promising leads" from an FBI agent who took an interest in the LS case confuses me. Is he a retired agent investigating on his own, is he working as a PI or is he working in an official capacity?

Seems to me there has been some movement in this case as of late. I think the possible connection to DM could be a smokescreen.

2015 is the year we get answers JMO

He is a former FBI agent, currently gathering Lauren Spierer clues for a new TV show called "Solve It". His loyalty is not toward Lauren, just Television ratings.

So, when DM came along and raises the possibility of clues to solving the case, he has to come out and indicate he has good leads, and they are not pointing to DM. Otherwise, all the work he put into the show is for nothing...

Mystery of Lauren Spierer nets national attention

former FBI agent Brad Garrett believes somebody knows something [...] “With the new series ‘Solve It,’ we’re hoping someone will comment or post what they know online, and help solve the mystery of what happened to Lauren.”

A couple of thoughts and questions...
Even if there is a stalking connection here with DM, I don't think that necessarily rules him out of the LS case just because that would make it 'different'. I'm not sure it would be the standard stalker type of case. It seems like it would be short term at best. And ended in murder quickly. So he'd certainly not necessarily be above acting on impulse. Or even stalking a club like Kilroy's or that general area and looking for a target rather than stalking someone in particular. Maybe something he'd done many times so it wouldn't be hard to speculate he'd even picked some people out and saw them multiple times before he acted.

Of course that is all speculation for the point of discussion, not declaring it as the only possible scenario.

And speaking of speculation and the stalking angle that has been brought up, with the idea that he somehow knew HW (which AFAIK is based on a family member saying he'd mentioned the name "Hannah"), it was said he'd picked up a drunken girl at one point (did that go back 3 years?) giving her a ride. Could that have been HW? And even if not that time, is it possible he did it more recently, thereby learning her name and where she lived or frequented?

Of course, the family member could've been mistaken about the name "Hannah" or it could be a coincidence and a different Hannah I suppose.

Lastly, I saw someone on FB saying DM was in jail when LS disappeared (they'd heard). This person sounded like they could be confused so has anyone else heard this or read it in the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18