IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JR's attorney hasn't been talking at all, so he hasn't denied or confirmed anything. According to MB's lawyer, MB was working on two papers.

My initial reaction before reading everything was that she went back to the bar after closing for her phone because she wanted to see if JW got in touch with her, and that they should really check out whoever was closing there. But I think that is bias because I remember a bouncer at our favorite bar who became really friendly with some of my friends but who gave me the creeps.

FTR, I do think the most likely scenario is that she passed away between 3 and 4 and her "friends" are covering it up. The stories sound somewhat rehearsed. And HT saying that CR said he was the last to see her...the wording bothers me. How would you know you are the last to see her unless you knew what happened to her? It seems "i saw her at 4:15 and she was fine" is different from "I was the last one to see her".

It wasn't a test. The roommate (MB) was working on two papers which he turned in on Friday. Considering it's college, and these young people are there to study, I think it's pretty sad when we find it hard to believe somebody was actually studying.

I do NOT find it hard to believe somebody was actually studying at all. As I said, "Certainly, this is the behavior I'd want of my own son, but if these guys are the big party crowd they've been portrayed to be, I find it odd."

I have kids in college, at two different universities. One attends one of the biggest "party schools" in the US. It also happens to have one of the best academic reputations. From my observations, the students who are snorting coke, oxy, taking Xanex, etc. are generally the ones who don't take school as serious as other students and most often wouldn't miss a chance to party. That's not ALWAYS the case of course, as some kids are able to well-balance their party/academic life. I have gathered from comments I've read, that this crowd is a very big party crowd though, and studying at 3 AM, ignoring Lauren's plea to party, just didn't quite seem to fit the stereotype.

JR's attorney hasn't been talking at all, so he hasn't denied or confirmed anything. According to MB's lawyer, MB was working on two papers.

I forget the actual article, but I recall reading that a professor/TA acknowledged that MB turned in the papers. I also remember reading that MB received a 92 percent on one of the papers. I'm at work so I can't take time to prowl for a link with this information... maybe someone else who knows what I'm talking about can fetch it?

According to MB's lawyer, he was working on two papers, he turned them both in on Friday, and got 92 on each one of them. Professors can not comment on students grades and papers (privacy laws), so that info wouldn't have come from a professor.

"He said his client was not drinking or using illegal substances that evening and was home writing two papers for two classes. Beth turned them both in about 1 p.m. Friday, and received grades of 92 percent on each paper."

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/12/news.qp-8740616.sto

Regardless of when it was reported to LE, I don't believe LE think this info is credible. The 3:38 am supposed sighting is not included into the timeline released by LE. And it doesn't fit with the rest of the story we have been given so far. LE also haven't released any sketches of the "dark skinned man."
And I am not saying that witness is lying. If the witness actually exists, the witness could be simply mistaken, she might have seen someone else and not LS.

I respectfully disagree. I think they found it very credible, maybe just not significant to the case. They went through the step of having a sketch made. that's an indication that they did find this witness credible. My thoughts are that this sighting may have been verified, and dismissed as pertinent to the ultimate results of the night. Therefore no reason to release sketch to the public. The person described in the story may have come forward as a witness independently and verified the story. We just don't know. But I think it's dangerous to rule this out.
Also, there is nothing in the official timeline, including the 4:30 AM walk away, that rules out her having taken a short trip up the street at an earlier time, and having returned to JR's. She could have easily done this and not have been seen on video, as that part of College is not under surveillance IIRC.

If more than one of the POIs was involved, I believe this will be solved relatively soon. They will not all be able to stay quite about it. If a long time goes by without a resolution to this case, I would start leaning towards an abduction by a stranger.

I respectfully disagree. I think they found it very credible, maybe just not significant to the case. They went through the step of having a sketch made. that's an indication that they did find this witness credible. My thoughts are that this sighting may have been verified, and dismissed as pertinent to the ultimate results of the night. Therefore no reason to release sketch to the public. The person described in the story may have come forward as a witness independently and verified the story. We just don't know. But I think it's dangerous to rule this out.
Also, there is nothing in the official timeline, including the 4:30 AM walk away, that rules out her having taken a short trip up the street at an earlier time, and having returned to JR's. She could have easily done this and not have been seen on video, as that part of College is not under surveillance IIRC.

I don't see how it could be not significant to the case if it's credible. Even if this alleged man with LS was just a witness, it would have been pretty important to figure out what LS did after 3:38 am. 4:30 am supposed sighting is included in the official timeline even though there is no video evidence to support it. So what would be the reason for police to not include the 3:38 am sighting in the timeline if they believed that to be credible? So, no, I don't believe this to be credible.

According to MB's lawyer, he was working on two papers, he turned them both in on Friday, and got 92 on each one of them. Professors can not comment on students grades and papers (privacy laws), so that info wouldn't have come from a professor.

"He said his client was not drinking or using illegal substances that evening and was home writing two papers for two classes. Beth turned them both in about 1 p.m. Friday, and received grades of 92 percent on each paper."

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/12/news.qp-8740616.sto

Thank you. That was the article I was thinking about. That is correct regarding who publicized that information.

I don't see how it could be not significant to the case if it's credible. Even if this alleged man with LS was just a witness, it would have been pretty important to figure out what LS did after 3:38 am. 4:30 am supposed sighting is included in the official timeline even though there is no video evidence to support it. So no reason for police to not include the 3:38 am sighting in the timeline if they believed that to be credible. So, no, I don't believe this to be credible.

It may have been credible at the time, and they played their cards close to the vest. Since then whoever the 3:38 dark-skinned man is may have checked out.

It may have been credible at the time, and they played their cards close to the vest. Since then whoever the 3:38 dark-skinned man is may have checked out.
I don't believe this to be the case at all.
If they know who the man is, and he checked out, and the sighting was real, why isn't it in the timeline?

I agree that LE probably take the sighting seriously. Even if the stranger is random, and uninvolved in any crime, the sighting would still be very pertinent to the case, as it is proof that she didn't leave MB/CR's place and go straight to JR's.....or maybe did go straight there, then left and returned later. It may be that JR sent her out to buy more drugs too. However, IF she took a short trip and didn't go straight to JR's, I'd think JR would want his friends to know that (unless he was involved in the "short trip" in some way).

If she was really as "bad off" as the witness says however, I struggle with the fact that she somehow made her way back to JRs. Seriously, how on earth could she get back there if she was slumped over, falling, and hitting her head?

I also struggle with the witness's account of time - 3:38 - really? I can understanding saying " A little after 3:30" or "About 20 til 4" but she knows it was 3:38 exactly.

If they know who the man is, and he checked out, and the sighting was real, why isn't it in the timeline?

Maybe they think this sighting would give the friends more confidence to hold onto their secret? If they believe the guy interacted with LS, but that LS then returned to her friends' apartment, then they are still relying on the friends cracking if they ever want to find her. If the sighting is confirmed to be LS, it allows everyone who saw her before that sighting to breathe a sigh of relief and gives them less incentive to reveal things that could point to their friends' guilt.

So what would be the reason for police to not include the 3:38 am sighting in the timeline if they believed that to be credible? So, no, I don't believe this to be credible.

Reasoning is that this may be the closest to solid evidence to put a very big question mark on one key persons story (JR) and they are not ready to show their hand about what evidence they have. And there may be more that we DON'T know about. This is how they make all their players sweat - and releasing it to a non-MSM site, so it could be considered gossip - just may put more pressure on the players than releasing it MS or not releasing it at all.
Say what you want about TG, but he is a viable source, as he is at the Pressers, so LE must consider him a credentialed journalist.

jmho.

It may have been a tactical manuever by LE - like they didn't want to tip off whoever that person was that they knew about him/suspected him.

Maybe they think this sighting would give the friends more confidence to hold onto their secret? If they believe the guy interacted with LS, but that LS then returned to her friends' apartment, then they are still relying on the friends cracking if they ever want to find her. If the sighting is confirmed to be LS, it allows everyone who saw her before that sighting to breathe a sigh of relief and gives them less incentive to reveal things that could point to their friends' guilt.

If LS was seen is a strange man at 3:38 am, that would have just the opposite effect on the students who were with her that night, because that man would represent another POI.

I think they haven't included the sighting in their timeline b/c they have no video evidence to support it, nor can they guarantee that it was her - could have been another young girl. From the timelines I've read thus far, they point to the time she exits the alley, then the time she is supposedly seen leaving, by JR. There really is a chunk of time in there that's not accounted for at all. The police never say what time she leaves MB. That has been reported through witnesses but LE has been pretty tught-lipped about anything they may know that occurred between 2:51 and 4:30. They must have obvious evidence of some sort because of this statement:

"We know there was a visit to this apartment complex of 11th and Morton," said Bloomington police Capt. Joe Qualters.

How do they KNOW? Three boys saying so, doesn't mean the police KNOW she was there.

http://www.fox59.com/news/bloomingt...udents-disappearance-20110616,0,1518395.story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member