GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's called a "bond" hearing his lawyer requested, not a discovery hearing. My mistake. Has there been any word on when that's going to be?

Yes, I shuddered when I heard the baby had a policy too.

The requirement that he sign an order that prohibits him from having any contact with his young daughter IS another very strange aspect of this case. I can only read between the lines on this, but it would appear that investigators feel the he is a danger to his young daughter.

Is the reason for this order because of the life insurance policy on the little girl?

This may be a "dumb" question, but it is hard to even imagine.

This is my first time posting but I've been following this from the beginning. First of all, to those who loved and knew Melinda, I am deeply sorry for your loss. I found her Facebook before it was deleted, she seemed like a genuine, heartfelt person, who though she made some mistakes ( who doesn't) only wanted to be a great wife, mother and stepmom. She strikes me as a beautiful soul. I hope her daughter and stepson will continue to be told how much she cared about them and wanted the world for them.

<modsnip>

The requirement that he sign an order that prohibits him from having any contact with his young daughter IS another very strange aspect of this case. I can only read between the lines on this, but it would appear that investigators feel the he is a danger to his young daughter.

Is the reason for this order because of the life insurance policy on the little girl?

This may be a "dumb" question, but it is hard to even imagine.

honestly, i THINK that it def, has something to do with the policy.. its weird that he cant have any contact with her, however can with his son.. so its direct danger to the daughter...

When I first heard about the policy on the baby and he was found in her room, it just gave me the creeps. So much so that I couldn't even type out what I thought he might have been thinking of doing. It is just too horrible to even think about.

honestly, i THINK that it def, has something to do with the policy.. its weird that he cant have any contact with her, however can with his son.. so its direct danger to the daughter...
Well hopefully he will never see the light of day again - so he can't be a danger to his son or anyone else. The article that mentioned the bond hearing stated that bond is rarely granted in murder cases in Indiana. The best and most likely scenario is that he sits in jail until his trial, is found guilty, gets the maximum of 65 years with no parole, and dies in prison. Here's hoping.

Oh wow. Just can't even imagine the possibility of harm to the baby.

No, they absolutely do not need that. I would hope that anyone looking to make money off of this tragedy would need to have a release/permission from the family first, especially when it has anything to do with innocent children who could suffer further damage.

No, they absolutely do not need that. I would hope that anyone looking to make money off of this tragedy would need to have a release/permission from the family first, especially when it has anything to do with innocent children who could suffer further damage.
I don't think they have to get permission from the family to report on the trial. If it takes place in open court anyone can do that. But in order for a segment like that to work they would have to interview Melinda's friends and family, and Steven's, to paint a picture of who she was, who Steven was, and their life together leading up to the murder. If nobody agrees to be interviewed ... no segment. Hopefully.

The more sensational the crime, the likelihood of media coverage increases. It is concerning to me for the children. I can't even imagine how this will affect them growing up.
Ruthless crime.

What happened to the conspiracy charge, was it dropped? I wonder what cell phone activity they found on SL phone for the time period between 2 a.m. and the 911 call

I wonder what was really up with going to gas station at 5 a.m.

Has the coroners report been released yet? I wonder if they can determine how long she had been shot before 911 was called

If this is true, his story has no credibility at all. What really happened here??

Now I'm starting to think he didn't arrive to the house until after his stop at the gas station. That's an hour or less before calling 911. That makes more sense. And Melinda would have been awake at this time based on what her friends/family have said about her being an early riser. I wonder if she knew SL was coming
over. The phone records could help with that.
Phone records and cell phone pings will identify where SL was before calling 911. Also time of death vs 911 call. There is no such thing as perfect crime. SL Has many holes in his version of events. Inexcusable and very telling he didn't ask about his wife. Big red flag.

I'm not totally convinced that they were separated, her close friends were not aware of the separation, if they were separated she would have confided in at least 1 person, sister, mother, friend, new co-worker as it was reported by her dad that she had just started a waitressing job, she would have reached out to someone for support, or just a shoulder to cry on, especially being the mom of a toddler and expecting another

I wonder if he went to gas station to get gas to set fire to the crime scene which would destroy evidence,

I have a sick feeling that 2 a.m. is closer to the time of the shooting

How far is the distance between the crime scene and SL brother's, is gas station in between?

Lots of unanswered questions in this case,

I'm not totally convinced that they were separated, her close friends were not aware of the separation, if they were separated she would have confided in at least 1 person, sister, mother, friend, new co-worker as it was reported by her dad that she had just started a waitressing job, she would have reached out to someone for support, or just a shoulder to cry on, especially being the mom of a toddler and expecting another

I wonder if he went to gas station to get gas to set fire to the crime scene which would destroy evidence,

How far is the distance between the crime scene and SL brother's, is gas station in between?

I think it's likely he was separated - but she wasn't. In other words he was coming and going as he pleased while she held onto hope that things would work out. He probably threw her crumbs that prevented her from admitting defeat.

Yes I agree about the possibility of him thinking a fire would destroy evidence - would be interesting to know what was bought at the gas station at 5 am, if he put in credit card or cash etc. Had he committed the crime already without planning it out and then thought to cover it up with a fire later, but then realized his child would be harmed also, or was he on his way to commit the crime (and if so why stop at a gas station and be on camera)? Either way is he is really stupid or so brazen thinking he would not be suspect?

With the apparent poor planning by the accused, I cannot help but wonder if it as as simple as he was on his way to the house at 5 am and was about to run out of gas, and that was the reason for his stop?

Yes I agree about the possibility of him thinking a fire would destroy evidence - would be interesting to know what was bought at the gas station at 5 am, if he put in credit card or cash etc. Had he committed the crime already without planning it out and then thought to cover it up with a fire later, but then realized his child would be harmed also, or was he on his way to commit the crime (and if so why stop at a gas station and be on camera)? Either way is he is really stupid or so brazen thinking he would not be suspect?
Yes. He very cleverly filed police reports that "proved" he and Melinda were being stalked, remember? He even went so far as to request extra patrols of their house. Of course all that really proved was that he reported a stalker, not that a stalker existed. But I'm sure he thought he had outfoxed everyone with his careful planning.
As for the gas station, he probably stopped for gas on his way to Melinda's house without a second thought. In his mind he was free and clear. JMO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclic8