GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I think he had her scared to death that he would take her daughter. Bc after all she was "nothing but a dirty stripper before him"

Man ****** that guy

#JusticeForMelinda

What a complete pig! And what was he? A philandering, chauvinistic, alcoholic loser.

She kept telling me "you dont understand i CANT leave him, i just cant"

i kept thinking, you know we all get into those relationships were we love someone so much and its toxic but we love them so much we cant see anything else... cant see a life without them? i thought that THATS what she meant.. but... i wish i would have payed more attention then maybe i would have caught on to what she was trying to say.. so many times did i see a "cry for help" on her fb or a text.. and yet.. she was so quick to back track and take it all back.. change the story up.. i let it go.. ive been there.. i should have known better.. i should have pushed her to talk more.. to support her and give her the strength to leave for good. I know she got called "home" and she earned her wings.. but.. i just.. i wish that it were different.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's difficult for us to accept that someone we know is capable of cold blooded murder. Melinda knew you loved her. And clearly, she didn't realize what he was capable of until it was too late.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's difficult for us to accept that someone we know is capable of cold blooded murder. Melinda knew you loved her. And clearly, she didn't realize what he was capable of until it was too late.

I just, wish i could have helped her, and helped her daughter. We all knew he wasnt right but your right none of us knew he was capable of something like this , but she loved him and we loved her so we supported her choices.. thats what friends do :D

Here is the rub regarding collecting on the life insurance policy on Melinda's life:

The insurance company will claim that SL kept it in force in order to collect through "fraud" (murder) and declare the policy void and return premium payments made to the person that paid the premiums (SL). It will be an uphill battle for Melinda's family to prove different and collect the benefit for Melibda's beneficiaries (her daughter, etc,).

Jason Young was convicted of murdering his wife and his child collected on the $4 million policy he had on her

I just, wish i could have helped her, and helped her daughter. We all knew he wasnt right but your right none of us knew he was capable of something like this , but she loved him and we loved her so we supported her choices.. thats what friends do :D

You're doing a wonderful thing by helping her now. It's always easier to see things more clearly in hindsight. Don't beat yourself up. You are a great friend to Melinda and her family.

Since I didn't know Melinda, I can only go by the impression I got from her facebook page. My impression was that was completely in love with him. When she reconciled with him (apparently after he'd kicked her and the baby out) she was so happy he was talking to her again. She took all the blame for what he'd done, and tried to minimize what he had done. It didn't look like any of her friends were happy about it, and some posted their sentiments.

You say that she was quick to back track and take it all back - change up the story. My thoughts are she did this because she probably wasn't ready to give up on her dream yet.

Agree with all of the above. I also don't think she realized what he was capable of as well.

Jason Young was convicted of murdering his wife and his child collected on the $4 million policy he had on her

Do you recall where you saw that he collected on the policy? I've read that he was convicted at his second trial and is currently in prison, but in 2014, he appealed his conviction. The following news article states the policy was eventually paid out to his wife's estate to benefit their young daughter. http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/10771883/

I recall reading somewhere that Melinda was pregnant. Was this just a rumor? If she was expecting, that make this crime even more tragic.

I have a step Daughter, who's truly the sweetest person I have ever met. She could never stand to hurt or disappoint anyone. Person, or animal. When she was 20 yrs old, she was working at an inn. There was a work crew, from out of state staying there, and a 35 yr old man had begun to pursue her. He flattered her relentlessly.

When she would talk about him, it was as if she was euphoric, I had never seen her quite so. One night, she and I were at my place, and I asked her if she had a picture of him. She pulled a Polaroid out of her bag, she said he had just given it to her, that day. It showed him, crouched in the middle of a van, the sliding door open. As I was scrutinizing, I noticed he was wearing wedding ring. (?!!!??!)

"He's married?"

"No."

"He was married when this picture was taken?"

"No. He's never been married."

"He's wearing a wedding band in this picture."

"No, I thought that too at first, but he explained; that it's just a bit of sunlight, falling across his finger there."

"Hun, there's NO sunlight falling on his hand. he's wearing a ring."

We got in the car and drove to the local 24 Hour Store, (it was 1am.), My intention was to buy a magnifying glass hahaha! I wanted her to see, larger than life, this guy was wearing a ring. There were no magnifying glasses to be had, so I put the pic on the counter and said to the clerk; "what's that you see on his hand, in this pic?" She goes; "a wedding ring.

Still my Daughter would not *see* it. She saw what she wanted to see, not what we all could plainly see.

One night, while she was visiting him in his room, at the inn, he left to pick up a food order, and the phone rang. It was his WIFE.

And honestly that was a convo my daughter was NOT prepared to have, because she had truly convinced herself, that he was what he portrayed himself to be. She called me right after, sounding shaky and traumatized. He came back, and she hung up.

Now here's the thing of it; HE traumatized her, and then, HE was there to console her. Told her the usual BS about his horrible wife, and how the marriage was sexless, and over. How he only lied because she was the best thing that ever happened to him, and he knew a GOOD person like her would want nothing to do with a loser like him. He cried, and begged her to forgive him, and she did. He was a PREDATOR. They can spot good people," like a lion spots a limp"!

He divorced his wife, and married my daughter. He alternately abused her, and then made it up to her. Intermittent Reinforcement. It's the strongest form of condition there is. She came to feel like he was the only one who could keep her from feeling so much pain, (by being "nice" to her again) when the reality is HE was the cause of her misery. She could not bring herself to leave him, and NOTHING family or friends said, or did, could break his complete control over her.

They did divorce, after a year. She had a very astute college therapist, but it was still a long road for her to recover.

My Daughter is not a "*advertiser censored*", or a terrible person, nor any of the things that are said about someone who has been with a married man.

She was the VICTIM of a PREDATOR... I am most grateful to God, that she has a loving husband, (going on 9 yrs now), meaning full work, ( she is a Vet tech), and a wonderful life to enjoy. We are so blessed to have her. It could have ended tragically, it could for anyone in an abusive relationship . There's just that human tendency to think it will not happen to us. But there is just NOTHING anyone can do, until the person being abused is ready to break free. When the Pain of staying the same, outweighs the fear of change. We change. Sadly Melinda was not allowed to quite reach that point. :(

I read that she was pregnant as well. I think it was on the http://nwigazette.com/ article that was taken down. I thought I read that she was expecting a boy, but I haven't been able to confirm anything.

I can relate to being in an abusive relationship. I didn't tell anyone in real life the specifics of what was happening. We were off and on so much, that those who did know things weren't going well never knew if we were together or not! But no one knows the full extent of the abuse I suffered. Only bits and pieces. I didn't even realize how bad things were until I was able to look back. I'm so relieved that I got out of the relationship and didn't suffer worse. My family supported me because they wanted me to be happy. It wasn't until things were over that my family expressed their true feelings about my ex-husband.

Maybe he didn't fully move out like we are assuming "moved out" means. Maybe he was bouncing back and forth between their home and the brother's... like he'd go spend the night there if they were arguing or something.

In reading her FB page before it was taken down, I got the sense that Melinda was young and naïve. I don't usually have much sympathy for women who sleep with married men, but I do believe he lied to her and I think he saw her as young and naive as well, and therefore very easy to control and manipulate.

It's a shame she got caught up in believing he was someone better than he really is. There are abusive jerks - and then there are crazy psycho sociopaths. I doubt anyone would have taken him for the latter until it was too late.

I've been thinking about the possible pregnancy too. I've also read up on Indiana law. And one criteria that qualifies a case for the death penalty in Indiana is the killing of a pregnant woman. So since they are not seeking the death penalty my guess would be she was not pregnant.

I've been thinking about the possible pregnancy too. I've also read up on Indiana law. And one criteria that qualifies a case for the death penalty in Indiana is the killing of a pregnant woman. So since they are not seeking the death penalty my guess would be she was not pregnant.
I read up on it also. According to what I saw, for a pregnancy to make a killer eligible for the death penalty the fetus has to be "viable". At what point that happens under Indiana law, I have no idea, but she might not have been far enough long to make this a death penalty case.

I read up on it also. According to what I saw, for a pregnancy to make a killer eligible for the death penalty the fetus has to be "viable". At what point that happens under Indiana law, I have no idea, but she might not have been far enough long to make this a death penalty case.

I see. Then we get into the legal definition of "viable". So she may in fact have been pregnant. But in the eyes of the law in Indiana, depending on what "viable" means....that would be the determining factor.

Do you recall where you saw that he collected on the policy? I've read that he was convicted at his second trial and is currently in prison, but in 2014, he appealed his conviction. The following news article states the policy was eventually paid out to his wife's estate to benefit their young daughter. http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/10771883/

I didn't say he collected on the policy. I said his child collected it.

I was responding to people who said that insurance would not pay out and I knew it did pay out in the Jason Y case.

He was very behind on child support and the ex wife had a contempt thing going on. He was definitely looking at some jail time there, as far as the pregnancy goes we were told she was pregnant a few of us by her and I know that there was a pregnancy test found however I don't know what they're gonna do about it or if she was fired up along to go after the death penalty or not. Sadly he was definitely a predator and she was naïve to a certain extent and she craves that happy ending that I mean let's face it all females morning but he did lie to her about a lot of things and she didn't find out until well into her pregnancy and she craved that family and to make everything work she didn't want her child have to grow up without father. Overall as long as I can armor him he's been a very manipulative type of person and from anybody that I talk to that is not in the past he's been that way both manipulative and abusive.

#JusticeForMelinda

It sounds to me like he had a real mess going on in his life with employment issues, behind on his child support, not paying his rent, etc. All things that he was either feeling serious consequences for (lack of money), or was about to feel consequences (possible jail time, possible eviction). Add to that the possibility Melinda may have been pregnant and they may have been talking about divorce.

I almost hate to ask this question, and I've not read this anywhere, but is there any indication he had a girlfriend?

I didn't say he collected on the policy. I said his child collected it.

I was responding to people who said that insurance would not pay out and I knew it did pay out in the Jason Y case.

Sorry, I must have misread your post.

It is hard not to wonder about the possibility of a girlfriend. Scott Peterson, who was convicted, killed his pregnant wife because he didn't want a child and didn't want to go through a divorce. And then the girlfriend made her appearance.

If Melinda's husband was spending time away from the marital home in the six weeks prior to Melinda's murder, I wonder if he was really at his brother's house, or if he may have perhaps been spending time with a girlfriend? I'm sure investigators have researched this thoroughly and I'm interested to see if this comes out in trial as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1