GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he does have a girlfriend I hope he doesn't have her convinced he's the innocent injured party in all this. Scott Peterson's girlfriend thought he was single, and came forward and told the truth when she found out who he really was. If Steven has a girlfriend I hope she does the same.

I have wondered what time Steve supposedly went over to Melinda's... I've only heard what time he claims to have fallen asleep. I am curious about the hours before that... Where did he spend the day, for instance? If he was at his brothers, at all that day, what time did the brother last see Steve? He had to have been somewhere, before going over to Melinda's. Steve said they were living apart, but he spent that night, I'm thinking he wasn't there all day, maybe he was in a bar, or driving around, we are only hearing the details of a couple few hours, surrounding the actual time of the shooting...

It sounds to me like he had a real mess going on in his life with employment issues, behind on his child support, not paying his rent, etc. All things that he was either feeling serious consequences for (lack of money), or was about to feel consequences (possible jail time, possible eviction). Add to that the possibility Melinda may have been pregnant and they may have been talking about divorce.

I almost hate to ask this question, and I've not read this anywhere, but is there any indication he had a girlfriend?

I actually heard that he was talking to someone, a female is cheated on Melinda with last winter.. However there's no way to confirm it

#JusticeForMelinda

I wondered if he had cheated on Melinda. I don't think they need "the other woman" in this case. It really helped in the Scott Peterson case, but there is enough here without that, obviously, or he wouldn't have been charged.

Yep - a . The World Health Organization (WHO) cites four forms of Intimate Partner Violence. The first two have to do with physical violence and sexual violence against the partner. Not sure if those fit, but it would appear the last two probably do:

1. Emotional (psychological) - insults, belittling, intimidation, destroying things, threats of harm, threats to take away children
2. Controlling Behavior - isolation of a person from family and friends, monitoring their movements, and restricting access to financial resources, employment and medical care

Melinda, herself, on her facebook page acknowledged he'd destroyed pictures, but she tried to assume some blame herself when they reconciled, after he'd thrown her and the baby out.

It sounds like she may also have been afraid of losing her daughter, perhaps because of things he said to her make her fear this. As for the control, she posted the "love doesn't isolate" post on New Year's Eve and her father reported he'd take the daughter so she couldn't go home to see her family. He also made Melinda quit her job. This made her totally financially dependent upon him and he went through periods of unemployment and wasn't providing.

My thoughts are that elements of intimate partner violence existed in their relationship, with Melinda as the victim, and that this could be a part of the prosecutions case.

This is my opinion also. Something set him off - maybe he was wasted and feeling desperate - he drove over there and acted out - and then panicked and came up with his ridiculous story. Of course I could be completely off base - but it would seem to explain how he made so many crazy mistakes.

This was no spur-of-the-moment crime of passion. It was coldly calculated and premeditated. Not only did he take out the policy, he spent weeks concocting the story of a stalker. He even went so far as to ask for extra police patrol.

I'm not an attorney, but it appears that since he was charged with murder, the investigators and the DA feel this was premeditated as he was charged with Murder and not Manslaughter. In Indiana, "malice aforethought" is what determines whether an individual who kills another has committed murder or manslaughter. Malice aforethought essentially means deliberately setting out to terminate the life of a victim.

I'm not an attorney, but it appears that since he was charged with murder, the investigators and the DA feel this was premeditated as he was charged with Murder and not Manslaughter. In Indiana, "malice aforethought" is what determines whether an individual who kills another has committed murder or manslaughter. Malice aforethought essentially means deliberately setting out to terminate the life of a victim.

I can certainly see why he was charged with murder as the evidence definitely shows he planned things out. The will and inventing a stalker when there is nothing that indicates someone else was in the home at the time of the murder. And now with the possibility of having a girlfriend, things could get very interesting. If a girlfriend does exist, the detectives will find her and it will be curtains for Mr. Lindsey.

This was no spur-of-the-moment crime of passion. It was coldly calculated and premeditated. Not only did he take out the policy, he spent weeks concocting the story of a stalker. He even went so far as to ask for extra police patrol.
Yes, he planned it for months, and then carried it out in a way that made no sense. Why not shoot her, leave with the gun, and then come back later to "find" her body? Or at least put gloves on before firing the gun? It seems like something pushed him to lose control and end up doing it on the spur on the moment. At least that's my opinion.

I think that this is one of the most bizarre aspects of this case, and that is that it appears to have been planned, but it was planned so poorly. A lot of things he did defy logic. A big one was not complying with his employers requirements in order to save his job. Especially when he was the sole income earner. It is almost as if he doesn't understand the concept of consequences. In my opinion.

It's pretty clear this was a planned murder. Buying this $1M+ policy on his stay at home mom housewife AFTER he was fired from his job, tells me all I need to know. The poor planning of the murder itself is really no shock. The guy is obviously a dumb-*advertiser censored* & totally focused on himself. How did he think nobody would raise an eyebrow at a $1M+ life insurance policy on a stay-at-home-mom married to an unemployed, alcoholic LOSER?
He probably didn't follow up with the alcohol treatment plan with his job because he already had all this planned out in his head.
What a .

It's pretty clear this was a planned murder.
He probably didn't follow up with the alcohol treatment plan with his job because he already had all this planned out in his head.
What a .

Omg! That never occurred to me! Wouldn't be a bit surprised... Uhhgg. What a loser indeed!

What a .
Or else he just liked to drink and wasn't about to let anybody tell him he couldn't.

This link dated 14 Feb re his initial court appearance facing charges http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/nwitimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/eedition/8/a0/8a04ba54-ef00-55b7-8e21-0aa3e72b735d/54dec501b1400.pdf.pdf

"Lindsey was required Friday to sign an
order prohibiting him from having any
contact with his young daughter, who
was reportedly at home at the time of the
Jan. 16 shooting death"

If the baby was on the life insurance policy - she would be in danger from him as well. Trial date of June 8 cant come soon enough.

This link dated 14 Feb re his initial court appearance facing charges http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/nwitimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/eedition/8/a0/8a04ba54-ef00-55b7-8e21-0aa3e72b735d/54dec501b1400.pdf.pdf

"Lindsey was required Friday to sign an
order prohibiting him from having any
contact with his young daughter, who
was reportedly at home at the time of the
Jan. 16 shooting death"

If the baby was on the life insurance policy - she would be in danger from him as well. Trial date of June 8 cant come soon enough.
After reading up on this case I was actually surprised the baby was still alive - and that was before I knew he had insurance on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member