GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[/QUOTE] There is a HUGE difference between a personality disorder and being insane. Insane implies one doesn't know right from wrong. Personality disordered, generally speaking, means the person is a self centered *advertiser censored*-*ole.[/QUOTE]

This is my understanding as well, based on a lot of reading over the years. Also, if the person is Cluster B, which includes narcissistic personality disorder and anti-social personality disorder (sociopath), anything is possible in terms of what they will do to get what they want. A person can also exhibit both narcissistic and sociopath behaviors.

My thoughts, and my own experience is that the victim of someone with this kind of disorder often doesn't even realize just what they have been dealing with until their victim status is revealed to them in a manner that cannot be denied.

I got the feeling he was distant and removed, but she tried to make him look good by bragging up on facebook any nice little thing he did for her.

She probably thought that he was taking an interest in the future of their family when the insurance policy on her was purchased. My guess is that he had everything to do with arranging for that policy. Did I read correctly that there was a $1M policy on the baby, too?

You hit the nail on the head with that one...
Yes he was everything to do with that policy, and yes thats what we are looking into now, Melinda had told me and a few others that her daughter had a $1M policy on her as well, once i know FOR SURE i will make sure to let you know, however that is what we were told, Monday we will be checking with the insurance agency

My reasoning for thinking the position he was found in is odd, is due a few things. I've seen some pictures of him and he is only 35 years old and looks to be in very good physical shape. His occupation also requires physical agility.

His hands are zip tied behind his back. He has no injuries. Perhaps he has already made the 911 calls. Perhaps not. He doesn't know if the intruder is still in the house. His baby is in the room with him and he is the only thing standing between her and possible death. My thoughts are that it would a natural instinct to get up on his feet, and there is apparently nothing that is preventing him from being able to do that. This would give him the best chance of trying to protect his daughter, if the intruder returned to the room before the police arrived.

Just my thoughts. It seemed "off" to me. Like so many other things with this case.

Steve could climb a light pole with just his arms.. he is in NO way helpless the way he made it seem.
there was NO reason that he couldnt have gotten up, he decided to stay the way he was. hes a piece

"If this was a policy that he got while employed, these benefits would have ended shortly after his employment. Was he just recently fired?"

This was true before rulings that policies must be "portable" regardless of current employment. Insurance companies' actuaries priced that mandated "portability" into the premiums. So, regardless of SL's fired from employment date, as long as the premium was paid the policy would be in force.

steve got fired for drinkin on the job BEFORE he got the policy on Melinda, he took the policy out march 26th 2014 if i remember right, but he had gotten fired before this. ill double check however im almost 100% sure

You would think he would at least be able to come up with a better story.

Reading that article just makes me sit and shake my head. There has got to be a better way.

its such a crock, he went to live with his brother but NO ONE knew that he went to live with him? Neither one of Melindas best friends? She told us everything.. you know girls gossip lol

The only reason I don't think it happened earlier is she probably would have passed away by the time authorities arrived.

If he really was staying at his brother's, did he still have a key to their home? Otherwise, how would he have gotten in? And wouldn't Melinda have woken up if she heard someone entering the house in the middle of the night? It has been stated she was a light sleeper.

without a doubt she would have woke up. There is no way that she wouldnt have unless she had been drugged.

Steve got fired for drinkin on the job BEFORE he got the policy on Melinda, he took the policy out march 26th 2014 if i remember right, but he had gotten fired before this. ill double check however im almost 100% sure

So he bought these policies while UNEMPLOYED and long after Melinda quit her job? Whoever wrote these policies should be investigated. (JMO, of course)

its such a crock, he went to live with his brother but NO ONE knew that he went to live with him? Neither one of Melindas best friends? She told us everything.. you know girls gossip lol

What puzzles me about the whole, "staying with his Brother" thing is, why would he do that right before he committed this murder? We know he's not exactly a "Master Mind", but still, if he was setting this whole thing up, why would he want to make it seem like they were arguing to the point of separation? I have wondered if he told his Brother, hey I need to stay with you for a while, but never told anyone else, nor actually left... As the Brother does not seem to be denying that Steve was supposedly staying with him. What I don't understand is *WHY* would SL want it to look like he was not on good terms with Melinda at this time? What does he gain by lying about this, (if he is).

Another thing I've been thinking about:

He had NO problem kicking Melinda and the little girl out of their home, in the past. This time, HE left home. Obviously he needed her alone, to carry out his plan, but his moving out, is suspect just due to the fact that it is out of character for him. I can't wrap my mind around what he was up to with this piece, ( Staying with his Brother)...

What puzzles me about the whole, "staying with his Brother" thing is, why would he do that right before he committed this murder? We know he's not exactly a "Master Mind", but still, if he was setting this whole thing up, why would he want to make it seem like they were arguing to the point of separation? I have wondered if he told his Brother, hey I need to stay with you for a while, but never told anyone else, nor actually left... As the Brother does not seem to be denying that Steve was supposedly staying with him. What I don't understand is *WHY* would SL want it to look like he was not on good terms with Melinda at this time? What does he gain by lying about this, (if he is).

He had NO problem kicking Melinda and the little girl out of their home, in the past. This time, HE left home. Obviously he needed her alone, to carry out his plan, but his moving out, is suspect just due to the fact that it is out of character for him. I can't wrap my mind around what he was up to with this piece, ( Staying with his Brother)...

I agree with you that there is something hinky here. But remember he DID originally lie to the police and tell them that he & Melinda weren't having any problems. It was the brother & sister who told that there were serious problems.

I think I am wrong on what I posted. I went back and confirmed that he said he fell asleep around 2 a.m.

The staying with his brother thing is very strange. Why would he, and his siblings say that if it wasn't true? There would no advantage to him to say that because it indicated serious marital problems and would definitely strike the investigators as a red flag.

I wonder if leaving was a way for him to ramp up emotional abuse? "If" he committed this crime, I think we all have a fairly good idea of the type of person who would be capable of doing something like this.

Sorry for jumping in....but I can't get something that Set her soul free said!! That the parents are fighting for custody...I'm glued to this thread hoping for an update on that poor little girl! Who is she with, if Melindas's family have to fight for custody??

Surely in the absence of a will (which I'm kind of assuming is the case since she was so young) the child would go to the next of kin...and one would hope it would be the next of kin that are not kin to the suspect???

Set her Soul Free, I know you are limited to what you can discuss...but I hope you aren't saying that Mellindas family don't currently have temporary custody of the child!, cuz that would just be so wrong on so many levels!!

I'm also wondering about finger prints on the gun?? Surely the police checked for finger prints?

Sorry for jumping in....but I can't get something that Set her soul free said!! That the parents are fighting for custody...I'm glued to this thread hoping for an update on that poor little girl! Who is she with, if Melindas's family have to fight for custody??

Surely in the absence of a will (which I'm kind of assuming is the case since she was so young) the child would go to the next of kin...and one would hope it would be the next of kin that are not kin to the suspect???

Set her Soul Free, I know you are limited to what you can discuss...but I hope you aren't saying that Mellindas family don't currently have temporary custody of the child!, cuz that would just be so wrong on so many levels!!

I'm also wondering about finger prints on the gun?? Surely the police checked for finger prints?

If Steve called his brother in between 911 calls - he would have got there and got the baby first? So his family have the baby? Now I feel ill.

So he bought these policies while UNEMPLOYED and long after Melinda quit her job? Whoever wrote these policies should be investigated. (JMO, of course)

idk if he was completely unemployed, i know that he was doing some kind of construction, however i know he took a decent pay cut, and im not sure if it was a full time job or not..it didnt really sound like it when i had talked to her, i know that she was upset that he wasnt providing for them the way he had promised he always would when he made her quit dancing.

hell wasnt even paying the rent on the place they were living at (they were renting from a good friend of ours && her Hubby) but come to find out, they had been covering the mortgage payment for sometime, bc steve counldnt pay him the rent.. and they didnt want to just evict them.

Surely in the absence of a will (which I'm kind of assuming is the case since she was so young) the child would go to the next of kin...and one would hope it would be the next of kin that are not kin to the suspect??

I think they are trying to secure permanent custody, in the (unlikely), event that Steve gets off on the murder charge.

I don't think they will find any DNA evidence, on the gun, or the zip ties ect... Except Steve's (and Melinda's). but who knows, someone could have handles these items, at an earlier point in time....

poor Melinda. I see her forging ahead, propping him up, putting on the happy face, even when her heart was breaking. Those wedding pictures were so terribly sad. I can't imagine that gloomy courtroom was her idea of a "dream wedding".
It was not her idea of a "Dream Wedding". SetHerSoulFree has said she did have a dream wedding,in mind, ( for some future day), white dress, cowboy boots and all. It was sad though, that she had to settle for what she was given.

Okay, so Melindas family lives in IL.. the IN/IL state line is making this VERY hard for them. The little on is currently with steves brothers wife we will call her "aunt G" for privacy reasons. In this case with Melinda being dead and steve being in jail she SHOULD have gone to the MOTHERS parents. however it is a prob with the state line.

((IMO)) >>> Now i think that why they are having a issue is even tho he has been arrested he hasnt been convicted so its hard to take the daughter over the state line.. i could be wrong.. im not 100% sure on what THAT deal is, i just know i was asked to find a cut throat lawyer for them (so i did)

you know i wondered the same thing about the fingerprints, i would assume that they did check for them and found nothing aside from melindas and steves, not that thats weird seeing as they were married, i would assume his finger prints be on the gun.. again the last two are IMO's

without a doubt she would have woke up. There is no way that she wouldnt have unless she had been drugged.

Since she was such a light sleeper, he probably did drug her. I also think he fed the baby so she wouldn't wake Melissa up. If the child was used to eating at 5am, she had to have been starving by the time the authorities got there and the newspaper said she was calm. JMHO.

exactly, he kicked her out a few times while she was pg and after she had the little one... i DOUBT he would have left.

I think they are trying to secure permanent custody, in the (unlikely), event that Steve gets off on the murder charge.

I don't think they will find any DNA evidence, on the gun, or the zip ties ect... Except Steve's (and Melinda's). but who knows, someone could have handles these items, at an earlier point in time....

I believe and i would be wrong so dont quote me on this one, but i believe the zip ties were from his work, i know they found a bad of them in the bedroom Melinda was shot in.

yes they want PERMANENT Custody of her <3 please pray for them and send good thoughts that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclic8