GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly there are MANY things "off" about this case.

Depending on the length of zip-ties, it isn't difficult to zip-tie yourself. To be more believable SL Would have tied his ankles tightly, and his wrists, as well. SL appears to be a man, an addict, that has run out of options, period.

SL strikes me as a man severely damaged in childhood that "self medicates" his problems with alcohol, drugs, and women willing to make life easier for him. From his perspective, SL ran out of options.
No job. No money. Child support obligations he couldn't meet, which eventually would have meant jail. A new child on the way. A drug and alcohol problem, and a million dollar insurance policy on his wife. If only .... she hadn't gone back to him. That to me is one of the saddest aspects of this case. She was free - and she went back.

"He's not getting the "my Mommy didn't love me" pass from me. There is Plenty of evidence that Narcissistic Personality Disorder/Psychopathy is NOT caused by "Childhood"

Personality disorders can be overcome by many methods, and IMO, are not justification for murderous behavior.

"He's not getting the "my Mommy didn't love me" pass from me. There is Plenty of evidence that Narcissistic Personality Disorder/Psychopathy is NOT caused by "Childhood"

Personality disorders can be overcome by many methods, and IMO, are not justification for murderous behavior.
NOTHING - except self defense, is a justification for murder. I don't care what his childhood was like. Plenty of people have awful childhoods, and don't kill their spouses for the insurance money or anything else. This creep needs to be REMOVED from society - permanently - so he can never hurt anyone again.

Personality disorder are notoriously treatment resistant. Persons with NPD/psychopathy are certainly much more dangerous, than most. They need to lock this monster away for the rest of it's life! I hope they don't even let him play that, "I was abused as a child" card! (If you have evidence of "childhood abuse" please do share.)...

Personality disorders are a man made construct. "Proof" is therefore subjective.

Safeguard, what evidence do you consider for a person to be classified as "personality dosordered". What studies evidence that a personality disordered person(by your definition) is treatment resistant and more dangerous than most?

Tina, I agree with you. Certainly, that was evident in my post.

Edited for typo.

Fraud does not necessarily void the policy. The deceased (insured) was not a party to the fraud. Many factors will be at play but the homicidal beneficiary will not be collecting.

"Fraud does not necessarily void the policy."

Fraud does void a policy, in particular, if a party to the policy, payor, beneficiary, or insured, can be proven to be a party to the fraud.

Look, it is a game of numbers, as regards insurance. Now that the insurance policy's integrity is in question the insurance company will put the burden of proof upon any, and all, beneficiaries.

"Yes, it was. Sorry if what I said came across differently."

Phew! I'm glad to know we're on the same page.

Here is the rub regarding collecting on the life insurance policy on Melinda's life:

The insurance company will claim that SL kept it in force in order to collect through "fraud" (murder) and declare the policy void and return premium payments made to the person that paid the premiums (SL). It will be an uphill battle for Melinda's family to prove different and collect the benefit for Melibda's beneficiaries (her daughter, etc,).

It covers "accidentally death"
They however are trying to conspiracy bc it's less than a year old..

#JusticeForMelinda

Union policies are group policies. They do not require individual underwriting. The "group" itself is underwritten. Groups with employees who are engaged in high risk, hazardous professions pay higher premiums per 1,000 of coverage and insurance carriers are not going to be willing to offer extremely high limits of life insurance for these groups because they have a higher chance of death than a white collar professional group of executives, doctors, layers, etc. groups have. The amounts of coverage available also depends on the size of the group, as well as the groups own experience and demographics. The larger the group, the younger average age of the group and the occupation of the group is key. Hazardous occupation groups are not desirable risks for a life insurance carrier.

How could the insured have been a party to the fraud? They would have to prove that she conspired to allow herself to be murdered so someone else could collect. The insurance company will likely try to get out paying, however there are laws, federal and state that come into play. They cannot just be cowboys and do what they want.

Union policies are group policies. They do not require individual underwriting. The "group" itself is underwritten. Groups with employees who are engaged in high risk, hazardous professions pay higher premiums per 1,000 of coverage and insurance carriers are not going to be willing to offer extremely high limits of life insurance for these groups because they have a higher chance of death than a white collar professional group of executives, doctors, layers, etc. groups have. The amounts of coverage available also depends on the size of the group, as well as the groups own experience and demographics. The larger the group, the younger average age of the group and the occupation of the group is key. Hazardous occupation groups are not desirable risks for a life insurance carrier.
How does a policy for a spouse fit into this? Wouldn't he have to purchase the policy separately?

"Union policies are group policies. They do not require individual underwriting. The "group" itself is underwritten. Groups with employees who are engaged in high risk, hazardous professions pay higher premiums per 1,000 of coverage and insurance carriers are not going to be willing to offer extremely high limits of life insurance for these groups because they have a higher chance of death than a white collar professional group of executives, doctors, layers, etc. groups have. The amounts of coverage available also depends on the size of the group, as well as the groups own experience and demographics. The larger the group, the younger the group and the occupation of the group is key. Hazardous occupation groups are not desirable risks for a life insurance carrier."

Hazardous groups, by themselves, are not desirable risks for a life insrance carrier. However, as an amalgamated group, that includes their spouses determined to be less risky, are insurable at less premiums than might be thought.

No, a spouses policy isn't necessarily considered seperately.

Molly, assumingy that SL is determined to be the payor on the policy AND is determined to have committed fraud (murder) in order to affect payment to himself, or others, the insurance company will deny payment based on the payor's intent to defraud.

It is most likely a separate individual policy that was purchased on Melinda.

"It is most likely a separate individual policy that was purchased on Melinda."

Do you have evidence? Or is that your opinion?

What reputable agent would submit such a policy to be underwritten?

There is the possibility that Melinda is the OWNER of the policy. The payor isn't even a party to the contract. Uncle Ted could have been paying the premium. If Steve was the Owner, there could be a problem. But there is case law, federal laws and state statutes govern these issues, too, as well as the policy itself. And that policy form would have needed to be approved by the Indiana Department of Insurance before it was used by the Insurer. If it didn't follow applicable state law, it will revert to what state law dictates it should have been.

There are no hard and fast rules. It is specific to the case. There is another potential issue of negligence in underwriting that has been used in past cases. If an insurance carrier overlooks items that were red flags for potential murder and they issue the contract and the insured is murdered, not a good scenario for the insurance company. Cases have been won on this basis as well.

Molly, many things are possible. You stated, "It is most likely a separate individual policy that was purchased on Melinda."

I'll ask you again, do you have evidence of this? if not, then stating that Melinda being a possible owner is just that, a possibility, in other words, your conjecture. A possibility that an agent would need to consider the circumstances of before submitting for underwriting.

The payor is always a party to the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257