GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Melinda was like many other women who find themselves in abusive marriages. She was afraid, she was embarrassed, and maybe she felt she could handle it in her own. And she may have desperately wanted her marriage to work. Many times women don't "tell" because they don't want to have friends and family dislike their spouse if things eventually work out.

I also believe Steven Lindsey is a full-blown Narcissist/Sociopath. He's obviously a pathological liar. I doubt he was honest with his attorney. How can an attorney adequately advise someone when the information provided is lies?

I think your comments about Melinda were right-on -- how many times have we heard women discuss how it was when they were with an abusive husband: We hear how he worked on isolating her from her friends/family, how he made her feel stupid and inadequate, etc., etc. And the wife wants her family not to worry, doesn't want to admit he's the loser they may have warned her about, etc., etc. We see it way, way too often, and sometimes we see it end so badly for the woman.

As for his attorney -- I think defense attys figure out pretty quickly when they have a liar and a cheat for a client -- and after it appears that it's not gonna get any better, they just have to put a bit of space between atty/client and then they try and make sure the client gets a fair trial and that's about it. No "going the extra mile" or giving them the benefit of uncharged hours, etc. Unless it's a young and inexperienced lawyer, I think the sleazy clients are seen for what they are pretty quickly and the def attys do the best they can without racking up too many extra hours, and hope their next client is someone they can like and trust at least a little bit.

I agree with you on the attorney. He may well be an excellent trial attorney. However, there is only so much an attorney can do when they have an idiot for a client. There is nothing a defense attorney hates more than being blindsided by the lies told by their client.

This made me laugh! So true. One of the things that blows me away in this case is that he tried to make a claim on the life insurance policy when any idiot would have known, or should have known that they WERE the suspect.

This made me laugh! So true. One of the things that blows me away in this case is that he tried to make a claim on the life insurance policy when any idiot would have known, or should have known that they WERE the suspect.
I know. If the cops had any doubt as to motive, finding out about that policy must have pretty much taken care of that. For a guy who was supposed to be so smart, he sure was stupid - from beginning to end.

It WAS incredibly weird for him to claim that he was staying with his brother the past six weeks, especially if it wasn't true. And you knew your friend and she never mentioned anything about that. Could he have possibly thought that telling the investigators that he'd been living away from the marital home the past six weeks would somehow make things look better for him? It is just up there with him being found in a bent over position and I've also read he was kneeling when then were was nothing that would have prevented him from getting up on his feet, which most people would have done. His feet were not bound and he was not injured.

I keep reading about the dogs...are they being taken care of? Might seem trivial but I'm a dog lover, just hoping someone could take them in.

It WAS incredibly weird for him to claim that he was staying with his brother the past six weeks, especially if it wasn't true. And you knew your friend and she never mentioned anything about that. Could he have possibly thought that telling the investigators that he'd been living away from the marital home the past six weeks would somehow make things look better for him? It is just up there with him being found in a bent over position and I've also read he was kneeling when then were was nothing that would have prevented him from getting up on his feet, which most people would have done. His feet were not bound and he was not injured.

Although it has been reported, that Steve's brother disputed Stevens claim about no serious marital problems, he does not seem to be disputing the claim that Steve had been staying at his home. Perhaps he went back and forth enough though, for Melinda to hope for reconciliation before she had to tell people?

I don't see the position, he was found in, (kneeling), as being of any relevance. I can't really say how, I or "most people", would stand/be able to stand, under such circumstances.

It's his entire story that's full of...holes. I have been wondering if anyone knew, prior to the murder, that there was million dollar policy on Melinda? Due to her Fathers statements, her family seems to have been aware that she was in an abusive relationship... I have a nine yr old daughter, If, in the future, I ever found out, any abusive SOB talked my child into taking out a MILLION dollar life insurance policy... Jesus! I would be all over that! I wonder how that policy ever came to be....

Things must have changed in the insurance industry. It used to be that a person had to meet certain parameters before having a $1M life insurance policy written. (or anything over the basics required for a respectable funeral) They just didn't write these large policies on anyone. But who knows anymore? Maybe you can just buy one over the internet. :shame:

I am just astonished by this too.

Things must have changed in the insurance industry. It used to be that a person had to meet certain parameters before having a $1M life insurance policy written. (or anything over the basics required for a respectable funeral) They just didn't write these large policies on anyone. But who knows anymore? Maybe you can just buy one over the internet. :shame:

I am just astonished by this too.

Perhaps the insurance agency was going off her,"Earning Potential." As a headliner/billboard girl for PK's she may have earned a substantial income when she was working.

I keep reading about the dogs...are they being taken care of? Might seem trivial but I'm a dog lover, just hoping someone could take them in.

Well, i know that he had claimed the dogs after the murder.. but now that he is in jail... i honestly couldnt tell you. which breaks my heart bc cowboy and evil were melindas world next to her daughter..

It's his entire story that's full of...holes. I have been wondering if anyone knew, prior to the murder, that there was million dollar policy on Melinda? Due to her Fathers statements, her family seems to have been aware that she was in an abusive relationship... I have a nine yr old daughter, If, in the future, I ever found out, any abusive SOB talked my child into taking out a MILLION dollar life insurance policy... Jesus! I would be all over that! I wonder how that policy ever came to be....

Yes, a few of us knew that she and her daughter had a million dollar policy, however.. honestly we didnt believe it was that much, bc well lets face it.. it didnt seem possible.. she had also mentioned it to her family in a joking manor that "she was worth more dead than alive"

Steve was the ONLY one that could get into her fb...we all ASSUME that it was him.. one of his many moves trying to erase her.
There were more than a few very damaging posts on that fb profile... She clearly tried to portray a loving couple, took lots of selfies of them kissing, but he is scowling and angry looking in so many pics. it prompts one person to comment, somebody needs to tell that man to smile. Some posts made reference to his destroying her property, destroying pics of her and the baby, and more...

There were more than a few very damaging posts on that fb profile... She clearly tried to portray a loving couple, took lots of selfies of them kissing, but he is scowling and angry looking in so many pics. it prompts one person to comment, somebody needs to tell that man to smile. Some posts made reference to his destroying her property, destroying pics of her and the baby, and more...

yeah, she would post.. and then try to recover it by saying she over reacted..

Perhaps the insurance agency was going off her,"Earning Potential." As a headliner/billboard girl for PK's she may have earned a substantial income when she was working.

From what I understand, Melinda quit her job when they began dating - at Steven Lindsey's insistence. Because of that, I don't think she intended to get back in the business. In addition, she was a stay at home mom at the time the policy was written.

I remember reading about the pictures he destroyed - and then he kicked Melinda and his newborn child out of the house. When I read that, my heart sank. If he was capable of such a heartless, selfish act, what else was he capable of doing?

I remember reading about the pictures he destroyed - and then he kicked Melinda and his newborn child out of the house. When I read that, my heart sank. If he was capable of such a heartless, selfish act, what else was he capable of doing?

That facebook profile is haunting. It depicts a girl with a gorgeous ,huge heart. More into love...family, friends and animals than material things. She was happy with the simple thing in life. Caring for her family, chickens in the garage (Haha!) No little cages for those chickens, no Sir! they had the whole garage! Like a "Chicken Paradise! LOL! Those pictures were just so charming... The world NEEDS more people like her!

She was so young, barely in the infancy of adulthood, trying so hard to make her dreams come true in the barren soil of that relationship.

He gave her just enough to keep her hanging on, yet still off balance. She doesn't seem to have been able to get her footing...

When I came to the Album entitled, "My Wedding". I literally cried.

Five people in a a barren room, dressed in street clothes, Steve, ( with his trademark scowl), and Melinda looking rather pale and stressed, sitting across a desk from a JP, signing a document....

"My Wedding"...

She made reference to the hope of a proper ceremony at some point, in the future. She should have had that. And so MUCH more!

That facebook profile is haunting. It depicts a girl with a gorgeous ,huge heart. More into love...family, friends and animals than material things. She was happy with the simple thing in life. Caring for her family, chickens in the garage (Haha!) No little cages for those chickens, no Sir! they had the whole garage! Like a "Chicken Paradise! LOL! Those pictures were just so charming... The world NEEDS more people like her!

She was so young, barely in the infancy of adulthood, trying so hard to make her dreams come true in the barren soil of that relationship.

He gave her just enough to keep her hanging on, yet still off balance. She doesn't seem to have been able to get her footing...

Five people in a a barren room, dressed in street clothes, Steve, ( with his trademark scowl), and Melinda looking rather pale and stressed, sitting across a desk from a JP, signing a document....

"My Wedding"...

She made reference to the hope of a proper ceremony at some point, in the future. She should have had that. And so MUCH more!

I felt the SAME way when I went through her f/b page. Niaive innocence. The chickens, the home cooked meals, the scrambled eggs for the baby....her family & her animals. How much more sweet can a person get?

And then there was Steve Lindsey. Scowling. Too cool to have his picture taken with his family. Appearing angry, explosive, indifferent.

It was so telling how EVERY SINGLE TINY NUGGET of kindness he ever showed that poor girl she posted about on her page.

It's just so sickening. :(

A million $ insurance policy, in itself, is not suspicious. That is under normal circumstances. A father needs enough money to raise kids if mother should die.... the cost of a nanny has to be covered. But for this family, I just can't imagine they could afford this policy. They had money problems. It was mentioned that they fought over money. He owed past child support was mentioned. His general perceived lack of responsibility does not jive with being responsible for the families future financial stability. In my opinion he has an uphill battle trying to prove himself innocent.

I would imagine that the insurance money will go to the baby for her living costs, education etc. too bad some couldn't go to ex-wife for child support too. I don't think that the gov't pays child support if a parent is in prison. Another victim of this man. Heartbreaking all around.

A million dollar insurance policy is very suspicious and it's also extremely unusual for an underwriter to approve that high of an amount for a 23 year old stay at home mom. In fact, it's very difficult to get that kind of coverage for a healthy executive with a $100,000+ annual income.

"My Wedding"...

you seriously just brought tears to my eyes... <3

she deserved her dream wedding, she always talked about her white dress and cowboy boots.. i couldnt believe that she got married in a court room, it broke my heart.. she . god i miss her..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member