GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the evidence we currently know about, I would certainly not want to be his attorney. Finding a group of impartial jurors will be next to impossible.

His attorney was probably hired with the promise of payment from that life insurance policy that's in limbo. I wouldn't want to be his attorney either.

His attorney was probably hired with the promise of payment from that life insurance policy that's in limbo. I wouldn't want to be his attorney either.
I saw on the Justice For Melinda page that the attorney he had in court was not a Public Defender, but a famous criminal defense attorney. I have been wondering ever since how he could pay for someone like that, and hoping it wasn't a case where his parents or other family members were mortgaging their homes or putting their retirements at risk. It seems obvious to an impartial observer that SL is most likely the murderer, but family members who want to believe him might be a different story. But you make a good point, and I hope it's true that the lawyer agreed to get paid from the insurance money once he gets Steve off. In that case, I think the chances are good that he and Steve will both get what they deserve.

I want to let you know I will read these any answer any questions that have been asked, as well as clear up anything that I can that's being questioned im currently helping the family look for a lawyer so my time is a bit limited at the moment

#JusticeForMelinda

I want to let you know I will read these any answer any questions that have been asked, as well as clear up anything that I can that's being questioned im currently helping the family look for a lawyer so my time is a bit limited at the moment

#JusticeForMelinda
Why does the family need an attorney? To get custody of the baby? That doesn't seem right. They've lost Melinda in the most horrific way, and now they have to lose their savings too? Attorneys aren't cheap. That doesn't seem right. Maybe they could think about setting up a go fund me page. I'd chip in.

If what he said in the Chicago Tribune article is true about his living with his brother and the talk of divorce, this helps the prosecution, I would think. A friend of Melinda's stated that she was not told by Melinda that he'd moved into his brothers place. I wonder if she was reluctant to say anything about it to her family and close friends because she did not want to fail. In the Chicago Tribune interview
, her father stated she didn't tell the family anything because she didn't want to fail.

If what he said in the Chicago Tribune article is true about his living with his brother and the talk of divorce, this helps the prosecution, I would think. A friend of Melinda's stated that she was not told by Melinda that he'd moved into his brothers place. I wonder if she was reluctant to say anything about it to her family and close friends because she did not want to fail. In the Chicago Tribune interview
, her father stated she didn't tell the family anything because she didn't want to fail.
It goes back to what ArabianLover said about abused women not telling because they're embarrassed, or don't want the people close to them to dislike their spouse in case it works out. He had kicked her out of the house and begged her back at least twice that we know of. Maybe she thought he would come back and nobody would have to know.

Why does the family need an attorney? To get custody of the baby? That doesn't seem right. They've lost Melinda in the most horrific way, and now they have to lose their savings too? Attorneys aren't cheap. That doesn't seem right. Maybe they could think about setting up a go fund me page. I'd chip in.

The only reason they should want/need an attorney, IMO, would be to sue Steven for Wrongful Death -- if it is allowed in Indiana.

It's for custody of the child and for wrongful death. That's all I can give you on that for now, however I will be setting up something to help fund it as well as an a account for the child

#JusticeForMelinda

I remember reading the comments on that site at the time and my impression was that the husband himself was posting there. This might be another reason why his attorney wanted the comments removed.

It's for custody of the child and for wrongful death. That's all I can give you on that for now, however I will be setting up something to help fund it as well as an a account for the child

#JusticeForMelinda

I am so sorry for your loss and I think it is wonderful you are helping her family find an attorney. Just in case they haven't considered this, they should be entitled to the life insurance policy for the care and raising of Melinda's daughter. I think they could build a case that the insurance company put Melinda's life at risk by issuing such an excessively large policy to SL.

I would think that taking out life insurance on someone and then killing them and trying to collect would be considered insurance fraud, and the policy would be nullified. I doubt if anyone will ever collect on that policy, unless Steve is found not guilty.

Set her soul free, I am very sorry for your loss. It is very interesting to read your posts and to get your perspective, because you know the people involved.

Thank you, I just want to make sure to be able to answer the things that havent been made public. Knowing the inside story and then reading some of the things people are saying... it just makes me want to help in anyway

It is interesting Melinda did not say anything to you about him moving out. I can't recall right now, but do you know who told the investigators that he had been living with his brother?

You know, Melinda never wanted to fail, esp family like.. however she always ended up telling me or another close friend when things were going wrong.. its weird that he claimed that for 6 weeks he had been staying with the brother.. i personally dont buy it.

SL was obviously the key suspect from the get-go. When the crime was first reported in the newspapers, they said it was an isolated incident. That means an intruder/killer wasn't on the loose. The police probably let SL think he was in the clear while they watched him, and since he's obviously a narcissist, he thought he had fooled everyone and tried to cash in on the policy.

Steve was a suspect from the get, he did that to himself from his story, no marks, not checking on melinda.. he made himself look guilty

But, based on all the evidence, his attorney had to know his client was a suspect. If he did threaten websites with libel, it was probably an attempt to keep the focus off SL. I wonder if the NWI Times blog was one of them because it strangely disappeared.

that is what happened to that blog, i had contacted them to see what happened to it

I am wondering the same thing about the NWI Times blog being taken down. That was unusual.

Melinda's facebook page was starting to be discussed there were 3-4 posters on that blog who were providing information that had not yet been made public and they were using this information in an attempt to "prove" the husband had nothing to do with her death. The kind of information provided was that he was bound, that there was a stalker on the loose, and that the husband had been in the hospital himself. Arguments from others were being made that pertained to her facebook page posts that led to possible marital problems, and all of a sudden her facebook page completely disappeared. Someone obviously deleted it.

Does anyone know, for sure, just who deleted her facebook page?

Steve was the ONLY one that could get into her fb...we all ASSUME that it was him.. one of his many moves trying to erase her.

Fraud does not necessarily void the life insurance policy. It depends on numerous factors and laws, and it is good that you are helping the family as an excellent attorney is so very important.

I saw on the Justice For Melinda page that the attorney he had in court was not a Public Defender, but a famous criminal defense attorney. I have been wondering ever since how he could pay for someone like that, and hoping it wasn't a case where his parents or other family members were mortgaging their homes or putting their retirements at risk. It seems obvious to an impartial observer that SL is most likely the murderer, but family members who want to believe him might be a different story. But you make a good point, and I hope it's true that the lawyer agreed to get paid from the insurance money once he gets Steve off. In that case, I think the chances are good that he and Steve will both get what they deserve.

That attorney lives in my neighborhood. A competent local attorney that I have used. However, he is far from a famous criminal defense attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member