GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"After Melinda Lindsey was taken away in ambulance, officers forced entry into the baby's bedroom and found Steven Lindsey bent over at the waist with his hands zip-tied behind his back, and the Lindsey's daughter, standing in the crib. Officers observed that the young girl was “completely calm.”
---------------------------------------
It's my guess this is a typo. It's police-101 to secure the scene when gun shots are reported. They're not going to take his word for it that he's safe & alone with the baby in the room. (via cell phone contact with 911 dispatch) There could be someone holding a gun to him or (God forbid) the baby making him say things. They would check the house first.

I'd like to know more about his story about the cell phone too. Where was it? And if Steven Lindsey's hands "came apart" during all of his attempts recreating dialing a phone for the police, why couldn't he get his hands apart during a life and death struggle? And if your feet aren't bound, why wouldn't you jump up the moment you heard a shot and run to where it came from to protect your wife?

Most *men* I know would take a bullet for their wives in order to save their lives. They wouldn't sit squatted on the floor calling their brother. :fishy:

When you add everything up that has been reported so far, the sum total of it all looks very bad for him, IMO. There was the purchase of a HUGE life insurance policy on her, less than a year before her death. They were very newly married when the life insurance was purchased. Marital problems arose, and they argued about money. He moved out of the house a few weeks before her murder and at the time this all happened, he was not compliant with his child support requirements for another child. This is public record. He obviously did not have the money to pay. I wonder if he was working in the weeks before her death. Does anyone know?

Then he spends the night on the couch on the night of January 15th. An intruder gets in the house and there is no sign of forced entry. Before the intruder leaves, Melinda is murdered in her own bed and with her own gun. The intruder didn't even bring his own weapon? Does anyone know if the husband even required medical attention? The reports stated that there were no bruises on his neck and he told police that his neck wasn't sore but that a few fingers were sore.

I was able to look at Melinda's facebook page before it was taken down and she spent New Years Eve all alone, according to a post she made that night. She then responded to a friend's question about her status of spending New Years Eve alone by stating that her husband had taken the baby and was at his brother's house. A few minutes later, she posted a quote from an online Life Coach/Relationship Coach that said "Love Doesn't Isolate".

Her father stated in a newspaper interview, I believe with the Chicago Tribune, that the husband "mind controlled" Melinda and when she wanted to go to see her family, her husband would sometimes take the baby and leave so she couldn't go see her family. Wouldn't this be an attempt to isolate her from her family?

Just a few weeks after her murder, the husband is making an inquiry about filing a claim on the policy for $1,100,000. Why would he do this when he had to know that he was a suspect? And sure enough, the police found out about it and he was arrested and charged.

His attorney may be very good, but IMO, he needs to be capable of absolute magic to keep this guy out of the big house. If the husband sticks to his story about what happened, the jurors will undoubtedly have as many problems with it as many of us are having. He could shift gears and admit to doing it, but that will require an insanity defense and the argument that his psychiatric problems and psychiatric drugs made him do it. But I think that might be a problem, too. That would mean that he concocted an incredibly detailed story to try to prevent his own arrest, and he stuck to that story for a long time. I think the question then would be whether a person that mentally ill and that affected by psychiatric drugs be capable of creating and sticking to details of such incredible subterfuge.

I think this guy is in very, very big trouble.

I read in one report (I'll find it) that he was taken to the hospital for a panic attack.

But he was the beneficiary, as he tried to make a claim. When there is a murder supposedly committed by an intruder, and there is a $1,000,000 life insurance policy on the life of the insured, the beneficiary would be a suspect, unless they had an air-tight alibi. He does not. He was in the home when all of this happened and there is apparently no evidence of an intruder having been in the house. They were having marital problems, apparent money issues and the fact that he walked out alive and she didn't makes him a suspect. Not saying he is guilty, that is up to a court of law to establish. But the fact that they have charged him tells me that they believe they have enough evidence to gain a conviction.

Thank you, ArabianLover. Does anyone know if there are any medical tests available to prove that a person is actually experiencing a panic attack? Or is a panic attack entirely subjective, and the diagnosis based entirely on self-reporting symptoms?

They hadnt taken Melinda away before the police talked to steve.. IDK where that reporter got that from, there is a web site that you do have to pay 15 dollars to listen however its the dispatch call... the website is

http://www.broadcastify.com/archives/feed/15223

after clicking that link you would go to the date and the time. there are times you can hear steve in the background. and you can also listen to the emts and officers. Just something to think about doing if you are wanting to hear first hand.

I didn't catch the report of Steve having a panic attack, but if you just murdered someone and the cops were at your house questioning you, I could see how that would induce one.

I missed that. She was in bed. The assumption (without further information) was that she was not yet up for the day (and hopefully was asleep when this happened). He said he was asleep on the couch, and she was in the bedroom. He was asleep until the chokehold he has stated. Then he was unconscious until the gunshot. He did not see the intruder (or intruders).

His ridiculous story will be his ruin.

Still curious about why the police didn't enter the baby's room until AFTER Melinda had been taken away by ambulance. And, other earlier reports stated that Steve asked the police, 1x, how Melinda was. Likely he was hoping he'd hear that she was dead. But she was still alive for a couple more hours. He did not ask again or ask to see her while being questioned by the police. I assumed she was still in the home at this point, but I don't know that this was reported. But it was reported that they found Steve and the baby AFTER Melinda was taken out of the home. I hope that report was in error, otherwise the police would seemingly not be doing a good job at the murder scene. Any mis-steps by the police will no doubt be used by his lawyer to bolster his case. (I still think he can't win, it is just too crazy a scenario he is trying to have people believe).

Melinda was asleep when she was shot, is what all the close friends and family were told.

When you add everything up that has been reported so far, the sum total of it all looks very bad for him, IMO. There was the purchase of a HUGE life insurance policy on her, less than a year before her death. They were very newly married when the life insurance was purchased. Marital problems arose, and they argued about money. He moved out of the house a few weeks before her murder and at the time this all happened, he was not compliant with his child support requirements for another child. This is public record. He obviously did not have the money to pay. I wonder if he was working in the weeks before her death. Does anyone know?

No steve hadnt been working, from my understanding for awhile.. he had lost his job (caught drinking on the job, and refused to go to alcohol classes)

Then he spends the night on the couch on the night of January 15th. An intruder gets in the house and there is no sign of forced entry. Before the intruder leaves, Melinda is murdered in her own bed and with her own gun. The intruder didn't even bring his own weapon? Does anyone know if the husband even required medical attention? The reports stated that there were no bruises on his neck and he told police that his neck wasn't sore but that a few fingers were sore.

See here is the funny thing, Melinda was one of my best friends.. and i talked to her a few days before this all happened.. and steve was in fact there.. she said NOTHING about him moving out and staying with his brother.. NOT saying that he wasn't, however i know that as far as i knew, he infact was still LIVING there.

I was able to look at Melinda's facebook page before it was taken down and she spent New Years Eve all alone, according to a post she made that night. She then responded to a friend's question about her status of spending New Years Eve alone by stating that her husband had taken the baby and was at his brother's house. A few minutes later, she posted a quote from an online Life Coach/Relationship Coach that said "Love Doesn't Isolate".

Yes, steve TOOK the baby and went to her brothers that night. the post about love doesnt isolate.. was a very blunt cry for help.. sadly none of us caught it in time :(

Her father stated in a newspaper interview, I believe with the Chicago Tribune, that the husband "mind controlled" Melinda and when she wanted to go to see her family, her husband would sometimes take the baby and leave so she couldn't go see her family. Wouldn't this be an attempt to isolate her from her family?

thats what he would do, from her family and friends... i cant tell you how many times we can to rain check on plans bc "something came up" he took full advantage of her age and him being a bit smarter than her, to completely control her

Just a few weeks after her murder, the husband is making an inquiry about filing a claim on the policy for $1,100,000. Why would he do this when he had to know that he was a suspect? And sure enough, the police found out about it and he was arrested and charged.

i believe steve thought he was in the clear, he (his lawyer) contacted a few different sites threaten slander suits for peoples comments about him claiming "he is not a suspect at all"

His attorney may be very good, but IMO, he needs to be capable of absolute magic to keep this guy out of the big house. If the husband sticks to his story about what happened, the jurors will undoubtedly have as many problems with it as many of us are having. He could shift gears and admit to doing it, but that will require an insanity defense and the argument that his psychiatric problems and psychiatric drugs made him do it. But I think that might be a problem, too. That would mean that he concocted an incredibly detailed story to try to prevent his own arrest, and he stuck to that story for a long time. I think the question then would be whether a person that mentally ill and that affected by psychiatric drugs be capable of creating and sticking to details of such incredible subterfuge.

I think this guy is in very, very big trouble.

lets pray to go that justice is served. a jury will eat him alive.

*MY OPINION & THOUGHS ONLY*
I believe he probably shot her earlier than he states. Since she & the baby are well know for being early risers, that is the only thing that makes sense. I am sure that there will be evidence of this through coagulation of her blood, etc. He probably spent the rest of his time setting the scene. And who knows? Maybe the panic attack was brought on when he realized she wasn't dead after he'd already zip-tied himself after calling 911 and knew the cops would be busting in any minute.

When I first heard about this,( it was from Steve's ex, not a news report, so I didn't have many details), and I thought it was a sure bet that he would claim, "accidental shooting". There was a gun in the home. The relationship was troubled. I thought for sure, he was going to go with the, "We were arguing, and she got her gun out, struggled, it went off... Or even she was cleaning it, or had it out for whatever reason, and she (or he), accidentally fired it. Only after reading that it was declared a homicide, (instantly, pretty much), did I realize that she was, most likely, not shot at close range. (suicide was never even considered, that would have to mean, from distance factors, that she could not have shot herself).

Now the pieces are coming together for me, and it is looking like he had a plan, months in advance. But it's such a BAD plan, it almost makes me wonder, if he was prepared to carry this through on THIS night... I wonder if he might have been"rehearsing", ( so to speak), for the actual day he planned to do this, and then just did it. He definitely doesn't seem to have been prepared, AT ALL. and I don't know, you would think he would be, with all he had at stake... Could he have spent all that time planning...to have NO plan?

I think in many cases like this, no matter how much prior planning, things just don't go according to plan. And in this particular case we have a person who is not emotionally stable. (Takes meds for a panic disorder) So even if he planned everything down to the last detail; one thing going a little haywire could send a guy like this into a complete mental meltdown. That's when mistakes are made. And he made a lot of them.
None of this makes him "insane" or mentally incompetent. It just makes him extra jittery & nervous.

I also believe Steve Lindsey thought he was in the clear. His attorney was running some serious defense for him there for awhile.

I also believe Steve Lindsey thought he was in the clear. His attorney was running some serious defense for him there for awhile.

Where did you get that information ? I didn't hear anything much about his attorney. Can you point me to a link ? Also, I agree, something seems to have gone awry and Steve panicked. Sounds about right to me.

I'm trying to picture the scenario where LE had to break down the door to the room Steve and the baby were....... The door more than likely opened INTO the room. If Steve was put into the room and then the supposed murderer left, the door couldn't have been barricaded from the inside. I would assume that the door was locked, probably a door that has the little button to push or turn in order to lock it. If Steve was able to make a phone call with his hands zip tied, I would think he could manage to unlock the door with much less effort than it took to make 3 phone calls. Yet he called his brother between 911 calls, waiting for LE to show up, instead of going to check on his wife?

Does anyone else feel like this was not planned? Or at the very least, not planned to happen that particular day? I don't know what goes on in the mind of murderers, but I can't imagine planning to kill someone and not have run through the various scenarios of how it could play out and be prepared. This guy's story of what happened is completely ridiculous and it appears that there is no evidence to support some of the claims he made... if you were planning this, wouldn't you have better explanations? I think it would have been more believable if he said he just blacked out and has no recollection of what happened. Who tells a story about being assaulted by intruders and then doesn't make sure that there is evidence to support that?

Does anyone else feel like this was not planned? Or at the very least, not planned to happen that particular day? I don't know what goes on in the mind of murderers, but I can't imagine planning to kill someone and not have run through the various scenarios of how it could play out and be prepared. This guy's story of what happened is completely ridiculous and it appears that there is no evidence to support some of the claims he made... if you were planning this, wouldn't you have better explanations? I think it would have been more believable if he said he just blacked out and has no recollection of what happened. Who tells a story about being assaulted by intruders and then doesn't make sure that there is evidence to support that?
I think it had to be planned. He pointed a gun at her head while she slept and pulled the trigger. It was no accident, and it didn't happen in the heat of an argument. It was totally cold-blooded. Unless he didn't think the gun was loaded, but then what was doing? Unless something happened, maybe the night before, that made him so desperate he was totally irrational.

I think it had to be planned. He pointed a gun at her head while she slept and pulled the trigger. It was no accident, and it didn't happen in the heat of an argument. It was totally cold-blooded. Unless he didn't think the gun was loaded, but then what was doing? Unless something happened, maybe the night before, that made him so desperate he was totally irrational.

I certainly don't think it was an accident, either. It was clearly deliberate. But I just don't get how he could have thought any of this would make sense to a rational/logical person, and not anticipate a million holes being poked in his story.

I certainly don't think it was an accident, either. It was clearly deliberate. But I just don't get how he could have thought any of this would make sense to a rational/logical person, and not anticipate a million holes being poked in his story.

I think many times in these situations the perpetrator just thinks he can "talk" his way out of it. Or just give the investigators basic information, "I was out cold and don't know anything..." But investigators don't accept that. They keep digging for more details. What time did you go to sleep? Where did you sleep? Where did your wife sleep? What time did you wake up? You had to remember something. What was it? A noise? Did somebody grab you? How did they grab you? Then what? And it goes on & on. If the perp is telling the truth, he will keep his story straight. If he's lying and making it up as he goes, he will get tripped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces