IN IN - Otterbein, WhtFem 55-65, UP58250, right side mastectomy, box in cornfield, Oct'76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gonna throw a random name in there, but Frances Kirk missing from San Antonio since late September 1976?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
I tried finding a yearbook photo of Frances and can’t be certain I found her. I did find someone with her same name and approximate year of birth who attended school in Dallas. The similarities are enough that I’d say it’s worth submitting!

Her Namus file indicates that the body was not recognizable, near complete or complete skeleton.
Yet LE also thought the box had only been there for 12 hours or less, as the box wasn't wet, and it had been raining the previous day she was found.

So this would indicate the lady had been dead for quite some time before she was disposed of.

Even more disturbing.....

I believe that was the condition of her body when it was exhumed in 2019.

Has this been submitted?

How about cross-posted in Ms. Mueller's thread?
Hello! No, in the end I didn't send Marie Mueller but if you want you can send her for me.

Here is Marie Mueller's thread.

So... if I recall correctly, she was exhumed in 2019? No more info yet? (I hope I'm not getting my cases mixed up!)

BTW Carl... fantastic work, as usual!!!

Has this been submitted?

How about cross-posted in Ms. Mueller's thread?

Marie Mueller has been ruled out. She is the only exclusion listed.

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP33954Marie Mueller
Date of Last ContactMarch 05, 1972
StateMO
CountySt. Louis

The logistics of this still drives me crazy, I’ve posted it a couple of times going through the motions of how and who.

Prevuoisly, I though the idea of the box being sling loaded was totally absurd, but, I wonder, could the entire box have been sling loaded? Like hanging from chains on the helicopter, and then it accidentally fell? If so, maybe her body was being taken to a specific location and didn’t make it there.

The logistics of it still baffle me. To my knowledge, the box was upright. To me, this indicates it was not just a simple dumping, but it involved some coordination especially if it was from a helicopter.

I remember reading there was circular patterns but I don’t recall any pressure marks on the ground from the landing rails most commercial helicopters have.

The helicopter thing seems like some truly bizarre conspiracy theory to me, a rumour around town that took hold as truth...
This woman was most likely the victim of domestic violence and was dumped by the perpetrator in that field out of convenience, and most likely from a land vehicle.
The reason why conspiracy theories run wild is because they are more interesting or exciting than the mundane truth.
JMOO!

That is not a Csection scar (those are usually horizontal around the pubic hairline and if vertical, which is rarely done, only runs from navel down midline) but a scar from any other major abdominal surgery.
vertical incisions were pretty standard until the seventies, at least. I have a family member with one from 1974.
But as you said, it would be below the navel. From the sternum to navel sounds like gallbladder, maybe. They do that surgery laparoscopically now, but in the past it was a pretty big incision. (Another family member had this done.)

vertical incisions were pretty standard until the seventies, at least. I have a family member with one from 1974.
But as you said, it would be below the navel. From the sternum to navel sounds like gallbladder, maybe. They do that surgery laparoscopically now, but in the past it was a pretty big incision. (Another family member had this done.)

My vertical-incision C-section was in the early '90's. The doctor asked if I had a preference, I said that I never wear a two piece bathing suit so it didn't matter to me. Later the nurses told that was a good answer, that was his preferred method.

The ten pound baby (part of the equation, ahem, for the C-section) also caused a hernia. This adds to any problems with reflex one may have. That doctor that identified the hernia discussed a surgery called fundoplication where part of the stomach is folded up over the esophagus & stitched there. (We solved my problem another way!) I wonder if this lady had this fundoplication surgery for a hernia prior to laproscopic methods?

I think gall bladder was horizontal if not completed using laproscope? But who knows about the 70's?

Maybe we will find out if her identity is announced!

jmho ymmv lrr

The helicopter thing seems like some truly bizarre conspiracy theory to me, a rumour around town that took hold as truth...
This woman was most likely the victim of domestic violence and was dumped by the perpetrator in that field out of convenience, and most likely from a land vehicle.
The reason why conspiracy theories run wild is because they are more interesting or exciting than the mundane truth.
JMOO!
It does seem a little far fetched, but there is legit evidence that she was placed there from above.

This was in the middle of a very large field with tall crop that was ready for harvest. There wasn’t any damage to it leading up to the box, among other factors.

I can see how it seems totally unbelievable, but there are several true crime documentaries that support this as major possibility by the detectives and not a wild local rumor.

Body exhumed, reopening ’76 cold case of woman found in box in Benton Co. cornfield

“Skoog was first into the bed of the truck, cutting rope and tape from a box that revealed what looked like wads of plastic wrap bound together with knotted ropes. He said he pulled out a broken vial of perfume, which he said added to the foul air. His dad told him to put the vial back in the box, hop down off the truck and wait for the Benton County sheriff and Indiana State Police before doing anything else.”

My opinion has always been her husband murdered her and the perfume detail sounds like he threw in her bottle to try to mask the smell. JMO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
394tx
Back