GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Because it's about absolute power with sociopaths, who masquerade as Empaths.
Nothing about her FB postings are indicative of an empath. If a child is not eating and hiding food, an empath would be worried sick about the reason why and would try to help her. I think her FB postings raised a lot of red flags and the other adults closest to the situation have some 'splaining to do.

JMO

Why, then, do these women ( thinking of SLP also) choose to home school their children? If nothing more, they would have been rid of them for six hours a day. How can a woman be allowed to home school 7 children ? I know that we all have rights etc. but if she had been in school, the step mother would have had respite for a few hours and SC would have most likely had at least one meal a day.

Trying to keep up with a fast-moving thread, but wanted to mention that in my school district homeschooling parents receive $850.00 per child, per semester for homeschooling.

If the stepmother didn't like her that much, why did she have her stay home and homeschool her?!? I'm a senior citizen and I would have taken that little girl in my home and loved her and given her a happy life in a heartbeat and so would others.

Could be money? I just posted upthread you get about 850.00 per semester, per kid, for school supplies.

For those who have good intentions I still don't know how they do it without a teaching credential. I couldn't. I don't have the skills or knowledge. It surprises me that so many do. And many aren't college educated.

On a different note, how was the dad unable to notice any maltreatment?

I'm assuming he didn't know better and took her word for it that the kid needed punishment a lot. I wish a basic parenting course could be offered as an elective at every high school. Much more valuable than learning how to cook frito pie.
BBM I know. I don't know how homeschooling even came about? My grandkids were sooo excited for school to start this year, they missed their friends and comradery that goes with it. Kids need that.

I have just read the most disturbing, yet revealing thread of Facebook messages between a couple of Kevin's ex wives and they talk about the abuse Skylea apparently suffered almost her entire life if not all.

I can't recall what rules are about posting links to stuff like that.
It's on a Facebook group Called Justice for Skylea Carmack. It made me physically ill
Oh nooo. Why didn't the bio mother see this? Where is the humanity?!?

I agree and it should come from tax money, the same as our public education system. The majority of homeschoolers are NOT avoiding CPS and are actually saving the local school system money. Those kids are still deserving of some public funding to ensure they are getting some level of education and protection from the government. I think a once a semester meeting with the local school guidance counselor to check in and ask about what they are learning, how they feel they are progressing, if they would prefer to be in a traditional classroom setting, etc is completely reasonable and not invasive. God knows CPS is already overworked and many consider any encounter with them to be a judgement.
When I worked with children and families involved in public school system, schools received funds according to the October headcount (enrollees). Maybe funding has changed since I’ve retired.
I know some parent with the skills and motivation and provide an excellent educational opportunity for their child. However, the families I worked with when I worked as a case manager with the D A’s office, that chose to withdraw their child/student from public school, had no business “educating” their child. Most had no higher than a 5th grade reading level and were trying to hide from CPC and LE.

Excellent first post, @Shiba !
And welcome to Websleuths :)

What also struck me in one of the FB photos was the children watching a christmas movie . The floor looks filthy, with what appears to be shredded toilet paper scattered about and ground into the carpet.
You can be poor -- and still be clean and respectable.

One of the first FB videos which has since been deleted was about the CBD oil --- and probably other posts will be removed .
Amen! Yes you can be poor and clean and very much respectable.

We have an abundance of food and clothing in the U.S. I’ve lived off of a box of off brand pop tarts and Ramen noodles or pasta and peas for a week. There is help out there. Free lunches and most of the time clothing in schools. Etc.

Nothing about her FB postings are indicative of an empath. If a child is not eating and hiding food, an empath would be worried sick about the reason why and would try to help her. I think her FB postings raised a lot of red flags and the other adults closest to the situation have some 'splaining to do.

JMO
Exactly. Her post all herself. An Empath would seriously worry about a child hiding food in their pants,running away. An Empath would get help for her,be an ear to listen, arms to hold in comfort,a safe haven to turn to. It makes me sick to my stomach.
I feel for the children left in the wake. So glad they got them out of there.

I'm not giving the father an out here. And, I'm totally not a fan of home schooling. I have followed way too many cases where rape, torture and horrific abuse was covered up for children being "home schooled". It's the perfect cover-up for hideous crimes against the children. I'm just jumping off of your post and in no way against anything you have posted.
I didn't mean to upset anyone. I simply couldn't believe what I was reading. Unbelievable. Sickening

No, you aren't "too observant", you're just observant through a different lens than the friends and family related to her. I was a DCS caseworker one county over from Grant and was in the area often. These communities have a very different perception of red flags/concerning behavior, etc. Many have extensive experience with DCS and having your children removed or being investigated is a very normal and even expected experience for many of these families. So I'd hazard a guess that her concerning behavior was just plain not concerning to those around her. It's very, very sad, and unfortunately not the first time the accepted cycle of abuse has resulted in what should have been a preventable fatality.

As someone who works in public service in a nearby county, I absolutely concur. I am a bit surprised by the comments I've read in this thread in that I think a lot of people just have no concept of how families living in poverty and/or with addiction issues actually live. There is a large segment of our society for whom involvement with DCS, having relatives in prison, having parents addicted to drugs (so epidemic that in some communities children are taught how to administer Narcan in the event a parent overdoses), etc is actual real life. They know no different, and it is generational (like poverty). For those who find this unacceptable, I beg you to get involved at a grass roots level to both gain understanding and to help find solutions. This work is soul crushing.

I have just read the most disturbing, yet revealing thread of Facebook messages between a couple of Kevin's ex wives and they talk about the abuse Skylea apparently suffered almost her entire life if not all.

I can't recall what rules are about posting links to stuff like that.
It's on a Facebook group Called Justice for Skylea Carmack. It made me physically ill
Ugh you have to join the group to see them ...

After reading the convo's between the ex wives (4 or 5 of them) I need to wash out my eyes with disinfectant soap.

It's too bad that LE didn't insist on searching the house and property sooner.
Even though they were lied to and told that Skylea had run away, they should've cleared the house first.
Imo.
Made sure she wasn't hiding in the basement or a cupboard.

Trying to keep up with a fast-moving thread, but wanted to mention that in my school district homeschooling parents receive $850.00 per child, per semester for homeschooling.
She was part of the conversation. All I can say is that this poor baby didn't stand a chance with the adults in her life.
And she let her daughter go on like that! Disgusting, uncaring.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pennypiper
Back