GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Amanda Carmack Probable Cause Court Affidavit:
https://s3-ca-central-1.amazonaws.c...Probable-Cause.pdf?embedded=true&url=FILE_URL

ETA: According to the doc Carmack called to report Skylea missing, she didn't go to the police station.

So, according to this, it looks like ISP was called in right away, on scene the next day and briefed by the Gas City PD Chief.

They knew she was full of crap from the beginning (“numerous signs of deception”, “refused to give details”).

Last edited:
upload_2019-9-7_2-51-50.jpeg

She posted a graphic that read, “Today’s number is zero. Zero kids are listening to me…” She also wrote: “Soo… I’ve got a child that has been hiding food in their pants and flushing it after the meal. Regularly! This same child has also been sneaking hot cocoa packets and candy, eating them, and hiding them in their bed. Then… She tried to lie about it. That’s just the past week. Previously, she has run away, stolen money from me and continually lied about anything she thinks I’m too busy/stupid to know about. I’m really at the end of my rope with this one..”

One post she shared read, “I am happy, hurting and healing at the same time. Don’t ask me how I’m doing it because I don’t know, but I’m doing it and I’m so proud of myself.”

She also shared a post that read, “You may not see them suffer like they made you suffer but believe me their biggest punishment is that they are who they are.”
Amanda Carmack: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Last edited:
When Skylea was first reported missing, a man that had dated her mother for several years made a comment on Facebook saying that Skylea was a great kid, so she spent some significant time with her mother at some point. Her mother also said that Skylea had spent a week with her recently. It looks like mom didn't have custody but got to spend some time with her. She has more siblings on her mother's side, not just that teen boy/young adult that spoke to the media, she has at least a sister and another brother.
I am pretty sure that Skylea's mother has some of her own issues to deal with. She has had 10 children, but I am not sure how many she has in her care at this time. Reading her social media made me believe that poor Sky didn't really have much of a chance in this lifetime. :(

The state wants to shield a lot of information from public eyes in a class action lawsuit against the Department of Child Services.

The group suing the state opposes that push.

New York-based advocacy organization A Better Childhood filed the lawsuit on behalf of Hoosier foster children. It argues, for instance, DCS fails to provide stable homes for kids and moves them around too much.

The state wants court filings in the case sealed and redacted – it says children’s confidential information is otherwise at risk. But A Better Childhood executive director Marcia Lowry says not everything should be sealed.

“When we have an expert, for example, look at the case of a particular child and say, ‘Well, this happened and that happened and this happened – and that was all devastating to the child,’" Lowry says. "We think that information should not be sealed – only without telling the child’s name, family members’ names, that kind of stuff.”

Lowry says it’s important the public learn how DCS handles children.
State Wants To Seal Filings In DCS Class Action Lawsuit

The state wants to shield a lot of information from public eyes in a class action lawsuit against the Department of Child Services.

The group suing the state opposes that push.

New York-based advocacy organization A Better Childhood filed the lawsuit on behalf of Hoosier foster children. It argues, for instance, DCS fails to provide stable homes for kids and moves them around too much.

The state wants court filings in the case sealed and redacted – it says children’s confidential information is otherwise at risk. But A Better Childhood executive director Marcia Lowry says not everything should be sealed.

“When we have an expert, for example, look at the case of a particular child and say, ‘Well, this happened and that happened and this happened – and that was all devastating to the child,’" Lowry says. "We think that information should not be sealed – only without telling the child’s name, family members’ names, that kind of stuff.”

Lowry says it’s important the public learn how DCS handles children.
State Wants To Seal Filings In DCS Class Action Lawsuit

I think it would be important for the public to learn the specifics of how DCS handles children in these cases. There are so many times that the workers seem so wrong, so inept, and it makes us all angry and frustrated.

But I often remember the horrible situations that my good friend endured, in her 5 years as a DCFS worker in Southern Cali. She felt so overwhelmed that she quit, even though her supervisor literally begged her, tearfully, to stay on the job.

After she finally 'escaped' the job, we were sitting and drinking wine one night, and she described the job this way, and it seemed so fitting, I never forgot the horrid description.

She compared it to accepting a job at a daycare, and going to work the first day, and upon entering, the doors lock behind you. And you find yourself in a huge, multilevel, mega-warehouse.

And you are surrounded by infants, toddlers, and young children, and teens. Hundreds of them, but only you and a few other daycare workers.

And you are all locked inside the warehouse, and there is not enough food or water, and not enough diapers or bottles.

And all of the children are hungry, thirsty, crying, wanting to eat, drink, and needing help and attention.
But all around you, you see urgent danger---Infants alone in the bath tub, toddlers on the concrete stairs, about to fall, babies crawling towards drunken teens on skateboards, children playing with matches, others trying to cook on a hot stove----

So many urgent situations all around you, so much chaos, but you cannot possibly put out all the fires. You scramble around, doing what you can in each moment, but it is all 'stop-gap' efforts.

Meanwhile, the rest of the children are still crying and whining, and need to be fed and changed and held. But it is impossible. You can never manage all of it. No matter what you do, it is an impossible task.

Prevent Child Abuse Indiana wants to remind citizens that everyone is a mandated reporter in Indiana, meaning we are all required to report suspected child abuse and neglect to the Department of Child Services hotline at 1-800-800-5556.

It’s unclear if anyone reported the suspected child abuse to the Indiana Department of Child Services.

“Unfortunately, Indiana confidentiality laws prohibit us from commenting on DCS involvement (or lack thereof) with a family,” Noelle Russell, a spokeswoman for DCS said.

A new law that took effect July 1 also prevents disclosure of DCS records, even in the event of a child fatality or near fatality, until the criminal prosecution is finished.

Prevent Child Abuse Indiana program director Sandy Runkle says you can reported to DCS anonymously, and DCS is not allowed to reveal who reported the suspected abuse or neglect.

"Every citizen in Indiana, if they have reason to believe that child is a victim of abuse or neglect they must make a report," Runkle said.

Signs of child abuse can include unexplained bruising, changes in behavior, withdrawal from friends, fear of a caregiver or parents, attempts at running away, frequent absences from school and self-harm.

Amanda posted on Facebook on Aug. 22 she was frustrated one of her children was sneaking food.
Advocates remind citizens they are mandated to report abuse

This is great, thank you for posting this, imstilla.grandma.

—-
Helmuth said she used to let Amanda watch her adopted 3-year-old.

“She was my babysitter,” said Helmuth. “He came home and said ‘Amanda is mean.’”

Helmuth said he didn’t say why she was mean, but Helmuth noticed the boy would come home hungry.

“Then I find out that the kids had to ask permission for everything,” said Helmuth.

She said her son, Kevin, is blaming himself for not knowing.

“Kevin is like ‘mom, why didn’t they tell me?’ Well, they were scared,” said Helmuth.

She wishes her fear wouldn’t have stopped her from speaking up.

“If you think anything, it doesn’t hurt to make a phone call, just for safety reasons,” said Helmuth. “And if anybody would get upset about that, then there is something wrong.”

She doesn’t want others to feel this same guilt.

“If I checked it out, maybe Skylea would be alive,” said Helmuth.

The thought of her granddaughter’s last moments is haunting her.

“I just wish we could have pulled her out before, and pulled all the kids out before all this,” said Helmuth. “We all miss her, we all love her, but yeah, she is definitely in a better place than living with her.
Grandma of girl allegedly murdered by stepmom saw troubling signs

From above:

“Helmuth said he didn’t say why she was mean, but Helmuth noticed the boy would come home hungry.

“Then I find out that the kids had to ask permission for everything,” said Helmuth.”

Again, this is sooooo Turpin. I was actually going to mention this “asking permission” aspect as related to food but didn’t want to get too o/t on the Turpins but again since this is mentioned I have to say now that this is also exactly what LT’s sister said on that “Evil Lives Here” episode, and they even did a full re-enactment of the kids being brought down one at a time after the parents ate and sitting at the table silent until they were given permission to eat. Couldn’t ask for seconds, nothing, then the next kid comes down, can’t eat til given permission. Anyway she clearly has some Louise Turpin in her, moo.

“But there had been signs.”
-Evil Lives Here

Same word “signs”:
Grandma of girl allegedly murdered by stepmom saw troubling signs

—-

I'm curious as to her reason for finally confessing? Perhaps Skyleah's death has saved 6 other children because surely one of them would be next IMO? She must have walked her out to the shed if that was the place of the murder - how many times had she done that before? Reminds me of the old saying - I'm going to take you out to the woodshed - but that would have been a spanking not choking and murder. JMO

Sounds like LE was grilling her hard. They knew she was full of it and I think she knew the jig was up. I alike it to something like Watts finally confessing, moo.

-

I can’t say I’ve heard of pants as a ligature in a familial child homicide, moo. Sex crimes, yeah, articles of clothing as ligatures, but perhaps there have been other “clothing” ligature cases with similar circumstances but I just don’t know about them. Also, sometimes we never know what really did happen for sure in some cases as far as COD, example Lucas, Dylan....

If I remember correctly the father left her in the woman's care as he traveled A lot. Rsbm

Same with Lucas Hernandez case, iirc. JH worked out of state, leaving Lucas with EG.

I was a step parent for nine years and had no clue what I was getting into. It was difficult and they were great kids! It sounds like u and your husband are a great example of teamwork and fairness in the parenting dept!

In light of step parental killings, kudos and cheers to all the loving step parents out there who do embrace their “step” children as their own. I thiiiiiink it was @oceanblueeyes who said her step kiddos call her “Bonus Mama”? :)

Last edited:
Skylea Carmack, 10 years old, Gas City, passed away on Wednesday, September 4, 2019, in Gas City. She was born in Marion on Wednesday, October 1, 2008, to Kevin Carmack and Stacey Brandenburg.

Skylea was a member of Jesus Fellowship Family. She loved to camp, fish, read books, and collect monster high dolls. She enjoyed painting, riding her bike, and was just beginning to learn how to sew. Skylea will be remembered for how much she loved spending time with her family. She had a wonderful spirit and loved everyone she came in contact with.

Additional survivors include her twelve brothers, Tony, Joshy, Hunter, Ranger, Blake, Levi, Tristian, Kevin Jr., Ethan, Seth, Mavrick, and Donovan; five sisters, Cheyenne, Shyann, Dakota, Jasmine, and Emily; grandmother, Brenda Helmuth; and two grandfathers, David Brandenburg and Albert Hart, Sr..

At the family's request, a Celebration of Life service for Skylea will take place at a later date.
Skylea Carmack Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information

They listed all those names in the obituary. Would they just list the names of her 12 'brothers' if they were just family friends?
Maybe, who knows?

<modsnip: snipped names of family members>

WOW!!!
Between these two breeders, there were 18 children? (and how many step-children? didn't they both have multiple relationships that involved other children in their pasts/present?)
If she had 10 (as previously mentioned), then he had 8. How far does an OTR truck driver's earnings go in supporting that many children?
No wonder Skylea got lost in the shuffle. Poor baby!!!!!
Wonder how many of the others feel lost/invisible/unloved?
MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Skylea had 17 siblings? Where are these kids? Oh my God.

Nope. They are total crap statistics. Loads of people are claiming her as a sister admittedly just because they knew her all her life. They aren't blood siblings. And I have a feeling it's the same with Skylea's mom's FB claim of having like a dozen kids. No one talks about who these kids are. It's just a claim. Apparently if you knew Skylea growing up she's your sister.....

She took apart a charm bracelet. There is nothing that says she broke it. She was bored and confined to her room so the charms may have been something to play with or she found comfort in them.

The Hart family first came to the attention of CPS because Jen thought one of the girls had stolen a penny. Kids can find pennies anywhere and pick them up.

How could anyone get so mad about the perceived theft of pennies or charm bracelets?

WOW!!!
Between these two breeders, there were 18 children? (and how many step-children? didn't they both have multiple relationships that involved other children in their pasts/present?)
If she had 10 (as previously mentioned), then he had 8. How far does an OTR truck driver's earnings go in supporting that many children?
No wonder Skylea got lost in the shuffle. Poor baby!!!!!
Wonder how many of the others feel lost/invisible/unloved?
MOO
And two of the sisters pronounce their name the same:

<modsnip: removed names of siblings>

I’m curious where Skylea stood in the birth order.

They listed all those names in the obituary. Would they just list the names of her 12 'brothers' if they were just family friends?
Maybe, who knows?

:*( Just learning how to sew. That really jumped out at me. Oh how lovely it would have been to spend some time with her,and Pegasus ( My hand me down Bernina), and do some quilting.

The child who shared a bedroom with Skylea said that Skylea had been confined to her room for the last week and a half, and she was only allowed to come out to eat and use the restroom.

The child said she last saw Skylea around 4 or 5 p.m. before going on a bike ride. The child said Skylea was cleaning her room when she left, but when she returned at 6 p.m. Skylea wasn’t there. The child said she told Amanda that Skylea was missing, but Amanda just shrugged it off.

Police interviewed Amanda, and she displayed numerous signs of deception and distraught, according to court documents. She refused to give information about what she was doing when the victim went missing. She also failed a polygraph.

On September 4, Amanda walked into the Gas City Police Department at 12:10 a.m. and said she wanted to talk to someone.
Investigators say Gas City girl endured abuse before stepmom strangled her
What I don't understand is why the shed wasn't searched earlier. The entire property should have been searched inch,by inch,top,to bottom. Especially since she was Sketchy from the get go. Did they not have permission,need a search warrant?

Nope. They are total crap statistics. Loads of people are claiming her as a sister admittedly just because they knew her all her life. They aren't blood siblings. And I have a feeling it's the same with Skylea's mom's FB claim of having like a dozen kids. No one talks about who these kids are. It's just a claim. Apparently if you knew Skylea growing up she's your sister.....

Maybe, who knows?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members