Interim discussion regarding questions from the jury and Arias on the stand #81

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been an ongoing speculation here on WS about whether Travis invited Jodi to his house on June 4th, or if she surprised him. And if she surprised him, why would he apparently agree to have sex with her and participate in a provacative photo shoot?

Here's my best guess: I think Travis was addicted to Jodi, to her sexual energy and the obsessive attention she gave him. And my evidence for this is that I've seen addicts first hand ... they engage in the addictive behavior even though they know it's destroying their life!

Based on the 5/26 text, we know Travis understood Jodi's "evilness." He saw her as a true sociopath. He had even told friends he feared for his life.

How could he sleep with her, then?

Same answer as anyone who has ever struggled with addictive tendencies ... we can't stay away from our addiction! If you're a recovering alcoholic, you know alcohol is bad for you, you know it's caused you to lose what you value most in your life ... it's harmed relationships ... and yet, if offered a drink, you might just be unable to refuse. That's what is called a RELAPSE.

I believe Travis was trying to move on, trying to recover from Jodi, but when she showed up, he relapsed.

Based on the fact that both of his parents were meth addicts, addiction was probably something in his genes. Some children of addicts can channel their addictive traits in other ways, and become very successful, as Travis obviously did. But there could have remained an inner chaos within him, from his childhood, that left him susceptible to very dangerous and addictive behaviors.

Jodi manipulated Travis' good nature. She probably knew just what to say to get him to trust her again, even momentarily. They had a very dysfunctional and chaotic relationship.

In the end, Travis lost his life because he continuously let Jodi back in. Sometimes even when we know where the path ends, we can't stop ourselves. It's sad. Jodi was Travis' kryptonite. He was powerless.

Keep in mind Mormonattorney's wonderful post exploring the world of parents of sociopathic and/or psychopathic children.

I am a parent of a sociopath as Mormonattorney describes. I would like you to know that after years of struggling, you become somewhat numb yourself. There is shame you feel that somehow this violent person is the result of some mistake you made. My son (the one who is now deceased) was literally born that way--crying and crying, refusing the breast, inconsolable, angry. After he cried once for ten straight hours, I took him to the doctor (this was in the sixties). The doctor offered to enlarge his urethra, thinking he might be in pain. I declined that as just a stab in the dark. Nobody knew what was wrong with him.

By three years old he overturned furniture, pulled drawers out and turned them upside down, climbed on the kitchen counter and threw cans down...By five he was taking kitchen knives and stabbing boxes in the garage. By eight he stabbed his brother by dropping an "arrow" on his little brother's back in the bathtub to see the blood go in the water. He had fashioned this arrow from a chandelier (since I had long before removed knives from the kitchen). I was terrified--the house was full of children who were all vulnerable.

When he was six, I took him to a prominent child psychiatrist at Stanford. He said my son was the most violent child he had ever analyzed and he warned me that he would probably be institutionalized by the time he was ten. I suffered from hyper-vigilance, never knowing a good night's sleep.

He was brilliant, model-level handsome and grew to be six foot four. Violence was his entertainment. Other people suffering was hilarious to him, including mine.

I felt shame and never told anybody about most of the incidents. As he became more dangerous, I called police. I called my Mormon bishop. I sought professional help. The police didn't take me seriously--and there is nothing to be done. No help other than sending him to a school for deviant boys, which we did. It didn't help either.

This is a nightmare for parents. My husband left--it was just too much, leaving me to raise seven children alone. I did my best, but wasn't very available emotionally for the other children and they have suffered as a result.

The sociopath can be showed the evidence plain as day, the parent saying, "I found this marijuana in your room under your mattress," and the child shrugs and says, "It's not mine. I don't know how it got there. Are there any more muffins?"

My child was so charming and so charismatic that he even convinced a social worker that I was mentally ill and persecuting him. I had to present documents from previous admissions, psychiatric treatment to prove I deserved more credibility than the psychopathic teenager!

Mormonattorney describes exactly the cool willingness a parent must have to patiently sit through the lies and wait for the break. I am awed with admiration that she chooses to work with these difficult and unrewarding sociopathic children.

I also saw flashes of the manipulative child Jodi Arias and I don't judge her mother or aunt. You have called everyone. You have done everything. Your child has stolen your car, climbed out windows, pawned your wedding ring, sold your skis, and broken your heart--all with a shrug. There is a gallows humor that helps you survive when you have been through hell raising a hellion. For all you know, they are whispering, "This reminds me of the time she told that ridiculous story about a ninja stealing the car she took."

The mother and the aunt see their child getting what she deserves. She is being publicly humiliated by her manipulations and lying not working. It is a form of justice for them, too, you know. They always said she would end up in jail. Their behavior is not classy, of course, but they have barred her from their home and distanced themselves from her for years. They may also have the genes for sociopathy. She is the classic "bad seed" and if they can benefit in any way from her celebrity, in their view, she owes them.

Unfortunately, to the sociopath, notoriety and celebrity are the same. It is attention, which she can't get by working hard and succeeding because that would be bowing to authority. In her mind, being the most important prisoner is better than being a nobody waiting tables in Yreka.

Which is why I want her on death row, where there is no opportunity to strut and be Queen of the Scene.

Wow anagrammy, I can't imagine what you went through raising a child like that. I have a child who I believe has BPD, and it's been a struggle for us. Like your experience, he was like this from birth. I was fortunate that my husband wasn't working when he was born or I wouldn't have survived it. We were like two ships passing in the night. I took the day shift, and my husband took him all night because he never slept for more than 10 minutes at a stretch. Nothing entertained him or kept his attention, so playtime was an exercise in futility.

Fortunately his violent tendencies are mild in comparison to what you've experienced, but we have the lying (even in the face of being caught red handed and confronted with the truth), and he can become violent when he's angry. He tends to turn that violence in on himself most times, but has gone as far as threatening his younger brother with a knife.

There aren't enough support systems in place to help parents deal with these types of children, so we have felt very lost and alone in dealing with his issues.

I'm wondering if you've ever read the book "We Need to Talk about Kevin"? So much of what you describe is mirrored in that book. I cried a great deal reading that book, and often couldn't see the pages for the tears in my eyes. The movie did NOT do the book justice, so anyone wanting to check it out should read the book first.

My heart goes out to you :heartbeat:

I agree ... Throat slashing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling quite ill - that photo we were having problems id'ing at first, snapped at 5:33:32, after the one that shows her foot as she's standing behind Travis' head, was that his completely blood covered shoulder right after she slashed his throat?

Does this case remind anyone of the Nancy Kissel case?

Some similarities: Nancy claimed she was abused wife who killed in self defense. She went from a gorgeous blonde to a mousy brunette with greasy hair and glasses for the trial. She was almost unrecognizable from her former self, so much so that I wondered if she had hired a stand in for the trial.

Prosecution proved that she murdered her investment banker husband by first drugging him and then smashing him over the head many times with a heavy object. She also testified in her own case with a crazy story of self defense.

She put her husband's body in a storage locker and there it sat for many days until police went looking through the locker.

Can someone tell me if there is a link somewhere to read the text messages? Particularly the last one Travis sent to Jodi about leaving him alone, etc. TIA!

There has been an ongoing speculation here on WS about whether Travis invited Jodi to his house on June 4th, or if she surprised him. And if she surprised him, why would he apparently agree to have sex with her and participate in a provacative photo shoot?

Here's my best guess: I think Travis was addicted to Jodi, to her sexual energy and the obsessive attention she gave him. And my evidence for this is that I've seen addicts first hand ... they engage in the addictive behavior even though they know it's destroying their life!

Based on the 5/26 text, we know Travis understood Jodi's "evilness." He saw her as a true sociopath. He had even told friends he feared for his life.

How could he sleep with her, then?

Same answer as anyone who has ever struggled with addictive tendencies ... we can't stay away from our addiction! If you're a recovering alcoholic, you know alcohol is bad for you, you know it's caused you to lose what you value most in your life ... it's harmed relationships ... and yet, if offered a drink, you might just be unable to refuse. That's what is called a RELAPSE.

I believe Travis was trying to move on, trying to recover from Jodi, but when she showed up, he relapsed.

Based on the fact that both of his parents were meth addicts, addiction was probably something in his genes. Some children of addicts can channel their addictive traits in other ways, and become very successful, as Travis obviously did. But there could have remained an inner chaos within him, from his childhood, that left him susceptible to very dangerous and addictive behaviors.

Jodi manipulated Travis' good nature. She probably knew just what to say to get him to trust her again, even momentarily. They had a very dysfunctional and chaotic relationship.

In the end, Travis lost his life because he continuously let Jodi back in. Sometimes even when we know where the path ends, we can't stop ourselves. It's sad. Jodi was Travis' kryptonite. He was powerless.

This is an excellent point. Some family members are in AA and asked why they took a drink when they KNEW it was a tragic mistake that might lead to disaster, they could only answer "I don't know."

I don't know the answer to your first question. Regarding Napolean the roommate's girlfriend fed him. They didn't find anything suspicious at all is what I heard.

The juror did ask Arias whether she locked the bedroom door before leaving. She said she wasn't sure. I'm sure JM will point that out during closing arguments. How cruel she was! :furious:

Another thing I wondered about Napolean. I would think he would be clawing at or in front of Travis' bedroom door trying to get in to him. I'm sure he knew Travis was in there. You would think someone would have noticed that.

con·tem·po·ra·ne·ous
/kənˌtempəˈrānēəs/
Where dis she find this word! For h.s dropout she sure uses big words.

I wonder if she has been reading the dictionary while in jail or if she has always used such unnecessary words to appear intelligent while coming across as pretentious.

Does this case remind anyone of the Nancy Kissel case?

Some similarities: Nancy claimed she was abused wife who killed in self defense. She went from a gorgeous blonde to a mousy brunette with greasy hair and glasses for the trial. She was almost unrecognizable from her former self, so much so that I wondered if she had hired a stand in for the trial.

Prosecution proved that she murdered her investment banker husband by first drugging him and then smashing him over the head many times with a heavy object. She also testified in her own case with a crazy story of self defense.

She put her husband's body in a storage locker and there it sat for many days until police went looking through the locker.

I think some of it is trying to get the defendants to look meek and mousy but a LOT of it is they don't have access to make up and great haircare in prison. I really do think this is how they naturally look after being locked up for years. Are they even allowed to put on make up during trial? :waitasec:

Can someone tell me if there is a link somewhere to read the text messages? Particularly the last one Travis sent to Jodi about leaving him alone, etc. TIA!
→This is something I copied from another person's post to WS.
These are all FROM Travis TO JA
April 2008 (I think - if not, its close)
(illegible) you have that
information. its 15 minutes it
would take to gt the info.
But you won't take 15
minutes. Why because it is
an Fing lie. So either text
me you that you are ready
to tell the truth or give me
your imaginary friend with
the worst BS story you have
ever told or leave me alone.
Its a lie like no other. It is
freaking foolish. There is no
way out of it, you have
screwed up your story so
bad you can't mend it. You
are caught. When will you
realize that. I do not know.
You have til tomorrow. to
have me this persons
information before I tell all
of the hughes' leslie udy,
the freemans, your parents
and anyone else that
matters about all the crazy
things you have done. So
either fess up or feel the
wrath. No matter how bad
the truth is I promise you
the punishment will be
better than the lie. This is
worse than your magical
email that a mysterious man
you've never seen before
wrote for you. You insult me
by thinking ill believe such
crap. nothing else from you
til the truth. I already know
your lying so why continue.
After tomorrow, its gonna
get real bad for you. Time to
spit it out.
-----------------------------
These 3 are all part of one long text,
no replies from JA in between:
05/26/08 at 07:59:15am
I sent you a response to
your dire conversation, that
I hope youread because
you need to read it. Maybe
it will spark human emotion
in you, something that only
seems to exist when it
comes to your own
problems. But everyone
else is just a part of your
sick agenda. By the way,
your pic comment to Danny
Jones makes you look like a
pure *advertiser censored*, even more to
the people who know you.
You should be embarrassed
by it. If he knew what I knew
about you he'd spit in ur
face. Sow ould everyone
else. I have never never in
my life been hurt so bad by
someone. But why do I
even say it because you
don't care. It doesn't serve
your evilness.
05/26/08 at 08:35:02am
You couldn't get off your
lazy butt to to read it could
you. That's the sociopath (I)
know so well. it freakin
figures
05/26/08 at 09:11:11am
I don't want your apology I
want you to understand
what I think of you. I want
you to understand how evil I
think you are. You are the
worst thing that ever
happened to me.

Do we know if there was a mirror that allowed Jodi to see Travis' reflection while he was in the shower, so she knew when his back was turned?

No, because he is clearly posing in all the photos. He's not shampooing his hair while singing rub a dub dub!
Plus the shower door is obviously open.

Your post doesn't address the obvious evidence that he knew she was taking the photos and you don't provide any evidence to support your opinion.

Brainstorming is great, but it doesn't do any good to perpetuate theories that don't make any sense.

LOL!!!! What's to address about the "POSING" for those shower pics?? Really, your serious that TA was POSING for these pictures?? You both may be right--he may have known she was there--put the proof is not in the "POSING"

:moo:

I don't believe she "ate" the banana! :snooty:

When she testified "I can't remember if it was before or after I ate the banana" I wasn't paying full attention and just assumed she was talking about a BJ. I thought "huh, I guess you could call it that"

It was quite awhile before I realized it was an actual banana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95