Interviews & MSM with/about friends, family, law enforcement etc...

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://m.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_1dbefdce-d48e-11e3-8103-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Not sure if I know how to post a link but myhorrynews.com posted an interesting article about TM's cousin reporting gunshots.

I hope Horry County has riot police in place for when the possible acquittal verdict comes in. I feel bad, they probably thought this would stop after the arrests (a big reason why they were likely made).

This type of stuff is the only thing keeping the case in the news and interest high. Hmmm. I am on the fence about whether the motive is to get a new article written about the case, keep discussion going, or some sort of North Korean style of justice where everyone who is related to the criminal pays for the sins. Maybe both.

I find it interesting that there has not been an opinion or editorial piece regarding this case that gets people talking. Just slightly (or more) controversial. This is a high-profile, high-interest case with a lot of opinions. Maybe it has to do with there being no independent publication in the area. I looked at My Horry News' website and I could only find one, about how the search warrants should be made public. It makes me wonder if they do not want to deal with any sort of backlash/boycott (and it would not take much) when the case brings in a lot of ad revenue for them at this point? IDK. I would not be surprised if there has been an increase in viewership since Heather went missing.

I also find it weird that when there are articles about this case, on FB, for instance, by the local news channels, there are so few comments, usually less than 50. There was a little baby abducted recently in the DFW area, and there would be hundreds of comments about this. It looks like most of the stories on MB news FB's get a small number of comments, so I guess it is not limited to this case. It is just so difficult to find comments about this case that are not by people who are active followers of it. For those who followed Kyron, do you remember how there would be hundreds of comments for every article on The Oregonian's website? By the two month mark, there had been 22,000 comments in total! I feel like that is something that is missing in this case. I don't live in the area, but I get the feeling that you are either completely obsessed with the case, talk about it on FB every day, or you have zero interest. IDK if that is correct though.

Hi Eileenhawkeye, me again..without trying to be mean spirited or judgmental, the local news here s&cks. I sat here waiting for updates on the bail hearing-only to listen to the local reporters talk about how it "felt strange" at the courthouse. I was surprised that the local channels didn't talk about who was wearing Armani or Versace. I only got details about the hearing bc of Hoppy's reporting. I can't say the channels are colluding with local LE to keep everyone in the dark, because ALL of their coverage is like this. Add to that poor editing and some really sketchy camera skills and you have a complete picture. Of course this is MOO-but look at some clips.

Hi Eileenhawkeye, me again..without trying to be mean spirited or judgmental, the local news here s&cks. I sat here waiting for updates on the bail hearing-only to listen to the local reporters talk about how it "felt strange" at the courthouse. I was surprised that the local channels didn't talk about who was wearing Armani or Versace. I only got details about the hearing bc of Hoppy's reporting. I can't say the channels are colluding with local LE to keep everyone in the dark, because ALL of their coverage is like this. Add to that poor editing and some really sketchy camera skills and you have a complete picture. Of course this is MOO-but look at some clips.

I feel like this is one of those cases where it is/was a circus, but I can't blame it on the media. It really annoyed me how there was so much said during the hearings, that they didn't report on. I personally think that tourism plays a part, that there could be pressure on the local media, where it is like, okay, you can cover the case, but do not make it super sensational and into a circus? Hypothetically, if the local media was reporting every detail of the case, sensationalizing everything about it, asking questions, creating controversy, would someone in the national media (HLN) be likely to take notice and decide to make it the next big trial?

thanks OkieGranny-that was an awesome job and very useful info to have condensed that like.

these things stood out to me:

Feb 21 — From a press conference by Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "I can confirm that Sidney Moorer and Tammy Moorer were the two people that were taken into custody earlier this morning. I heard somebody ask a question earlier about the status of their children. All the children are juveniles. The only comment that I will make at this time is that they are not in any type of danger... This investigation has been going on since December, and our task force has come across surveillance video throughout the area numerous times, and the expert analysis was just received by us recently that allowed us to execute the search warrant today."

Feb 21 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "We are here because of the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Heather Elvis… The surveillance cameras that we're speaking of have nothing to do with this property. Those were previously seized surveillance cameras during the course of the investigation from December on, throughout the Socastee area."

Feb 21 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "The only comment I will make at this time is that [the younger family members] are not in any type of danger… [The possibility of more arrests] depends on how the execution of the search warrant goes, and the ongoing investigation continues."

sounds to me that they have the Moorers on more camera footage more than just the 2 on Mill Pond Road. I have ridden by both and they should have good footage.

Also interesting is that during the initial days after the search they thought they may find info to arrest someone or someone's in addition to the 2 Moorers.

Feb 21, 2014 — Statement released by the Horry County Police Department: "The search warrant was executed in an attempt to identify potential evidence based on new information obtained through expert analysis of previously seized surveillance tapes in the area along with financial discrepancies filed with the State of South Carolina on behalf of the occupants of the residence."
Feb 24 — Horry County Police chief Saundra Rhodes: "We were able to secure enough to get a search warrant for the property of the Moorer's. And after conducting that search warrant we were able to secure enough evidence to allow for probable cause for a kidnapping charge as well as the charge for murder."

the video of the M truck traveling to PTL would be enough to get a warrant for the BLACK TRUCK. they had other evidence from another source that allowed them to take the RED TRUCK.. perhaps it is the other video throughout the Socastee area as alluded to above that gave them that info. and most likely there had to be something they saw in the videos that allowed them to ask for a warrant to search the PROPERTY.

and after having read and reread the statements above as spoken by members of LE, I can not believe that the 2 suspects are not demanding their right to a speedy trial. If it were me and I were guilty I would want the trial to take place before the body would be found. If it were me and I was innocent I would also demand a speedy trial because what innocent person wants to sit in jail for a year while LE builds a case against you to send you to prison for life while your children are growing up without you. if you are innocent it will not be any easier to prove that now or later, however long you sit in jail is not going to help either way. jmo

and after having read and reread the statements above as spoken by members of LE, I can not believe that the 2 suspects are not demanding their right to a speedy trial. If it were me and I were guilty I would want the trial to take place before the body would be found. If it were me and I was innocent I would also demand a speedy trial because what innocent person wants to sit in jail for a year while LE builds a case against you to send you to prison for life while your children are growing up without you. if you are innocent it will not be any easier to prove that now or later, however long you sit in jail is not going to help either way. jmo

Not only are they not demanding it, I thought I read somewhere that they waived that right...will have to see if I can find it again.

Not only are they not demanding it, I thought I read somewhere that they waived that right...will have to see if I can find it again.

well then as I look on it again, I can see that putting off a trial as long as possible, if you are guilty, would have some benefits. evidence could get lost, people forget things, people become less adamant about what they thought they saw or heard. your co conspirator could pass away and now you can safely put all the blame on them since they can not defend themselves. LE may just want to close the books on the case and offer a decent plea bargain. so yeah guilty people may want to drag the trial out.

BUT I can not see any good reason why innocent people would want to waive that right to a speedy trial.
I hope you can find the quote Poppygirl. I would like to know the date it was waived and see what was going on with the investigation at that time.

Feb 21, 2014 — Statement released by the Horry County Police Department: "The search warrant was executed in an attempt to identify potential evidence based on new information obtained through expert analysis of previously seized surveillance tapes in the area along with financial discrepancies filed with the State of South Carolina on behalf of the occupants of the residence."
Feb 24 — Horry County Police chief Saundra Rhodes: "We were able to secure enough to get a search warrant for the property of the Moorer's. And after conducting that search warrant we were able to secure enough evidence to allow for probable cause for a kidnapping charge as well as the charge for murder."

the video of the M truck traveling to PTL would be enough to get a warrant for the BLACK TRUCK. they had other evidence from another source that allowed them to take the RED TRUCK.. perhaps it is the other video throughout the Socastee area as alluded to above that gave them that info. and most likely there had to be something they saw in the videos that allowed them to ask for a warrant to search the PROPERTY.

bumping up ....imo this is important.

Jmo from what I have been able to find, "speedy trial" is not clearly defined in SC. A complex case can be brought to trial in a year or more and still be considered "speedy". Some states it can be as quick as ninety days. But I have been unable to find a specific amount of time for SC. Maybe someone else can.

I thought about this for a minute - and I think I came up with one reason why an innocent person might waive....

What if the case was based on only 'circumstantial' evidence? Waiving the right would allow for more time for their defense attorney to put together a case against those pieces of "evidence"?

Since it is clear the defense does NOT know all the solicitor knows at this point - maybe that could be where their train of thought is right now?

I thought about this for a minute - and I think I came up with one reason why an innocent person might waive....

What if the case was based on only 'circumstantial' evidence? Waiving the right would allow for more time for their defense attorney to put together a case against those pieces of "evidence"?

Since it is clear the defense does NOT know all the solicitor knows at this point - maybe that could be where their train of thought is right now?

But if a speedy trial wasn't waived, wouldn't that force the state to quickly turn over all evidence (in discovery) it has to the defense? To me, a waived speedy trial more likely meant they planned to use the law, motions, etc. to buy time to create a defense because they did know what evidence the state had against them. Just moo though.

there are arguments for an innocent person to waive their right to a speedy trial, but they are not good, competent arguments in my opinion.it would be helpful to know the exact rules for waiving in Horry County SC. and yes--how soon would the defense get to examine the evidence?

if Im innocent, I am going to DEMAND a speedy trial because I am the kind of person who is not going to waste another day in jail, Im confident I can convince a jury of my innocence, and Im going to refute whatever evidence LE may think they have with the truth. thats just the way it is--no if ands or buts.And I want this to happen as soon as possible because life is going on without me and I want to get back to it pronto.

And I think TM has a little bit of this in herself as well but from a totally different stance.
every day that she sits in jail makes me lean more towards her involvement.
now if I was on a jury would I be able to put all this aside and just listen to the case presented in court? absolutely.

LE has real evidence. they are not going to do another replay of the Casey Anthony trial. they are going to have to prove the murder. and prove the m's did it. and I have ALL confidence based on what I have seen, read, and heard as a resident of Myrtle Beach SC that they will be able to do that.

In my opinion any turning on each other that they engage in , if it happens, will be for themselves, not because LE needs them to do that for their own case.

And if they did request a speedy trial, people who think they are guilty would still think so. I see this all the time in cases, where there are posts that turn every action by the suspects into proof that they are guilty, instead of just saying, that if you think someone is guilty, then everything they do, is going to be because they did it.

thanks OkieGranny-that was an awesome job and very useful info to have condensed that like.

these things stood out to me:

Feb 21 — From a press conference by Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "I can confirm that Sidney Moorer and Tammy Moorer were the two people that were taken into custody earlier this morning. I heard somebody ask a question earlier about the status of their children. All the children are juveniles. The only comment that I will make at this time is that they are not in any type of danger... This investigation has been going on since December, and our task force has come across surveillance video throughout the area numerous times, and the expert analysis was just received by us recently that allowed us to execute the search warrant today."

Feb 21 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "We are here because of the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Heather Elvis… The surveillance cameras that we're speaking of have nothing to do with this property. Those were previously seized surveillance cameras during the course of the investigation from December on, throughout the Socastee area."

Feb 21 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "The only comment I will make at this time is that [the younger family members] are not in any type of danger… [The possibility of more arrests] depends on how the execution of the search warrant goes, and the ongoing investigation continues."

sounds to me that they have the Moorers on more camera footage more than just the 2 on Mill Pond Road. I have ridden by both and they should have good footage.

Also interesting is that during the initial days after the search they thought they may find info to arrest someone or someone's in addition to the 2 Moorers.

BBM-Not to speak ill of the deceased, but the way her Father acted or rather, reacted to the searchers that day. Makes me wonder if he had knowledge of what happened, or even helped to cover it up.

And if they did request a speedy trial, people who think they are guilty would still think so. I see this all the time in cases, where there are posts that turn every action by the suspects into proof that they are guilty, instead of just saying, that if you think someone is guilty, then everything they do, is going to be because they did it.

You are 100% correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all comes down to legal strategy. An accused has the right to a speedy trial but is not required to accept a speedy trial. Oftentimes defense attorneys want as much time as they can get to prepare the case and for a lot of reasons. And then there's the whole "what does speedy mean in terms of actual time?" Don't know the answer to that but I don't remember seeing many cases in which a defendant demanded a speedy trial. There have been a couple though (David Westerfield was one case).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appleatcha
Back