Investigators search east of Skyline school

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ITA, why would they need dogs to find cell phones??

Exactly! good point. What info would be gleaned from phones that were likely purchaced on June 28th or sometime close to that time when Kaine filed for divorce? I'm guessing this is the time of the purchase of these phones since this is when Terri's friends came to stay with her. JMO

Would LE send out SAR people to search (only) for a phone? And risk injury or worse to one of the searchers (especially if they were sliding down cliffs...)

I know SAR teams search for weapons but for a phone, this seems excessive. I think they are searching for anything relating to Kyron, up to and including a phone, possibly. If word of the cell phone being the target of search came from LE, it is probaby because they know the public is aware of phone-gate and one of them may not be accounted for, but I find it very hard to believe that they would mount this type of search just for a phone.

Yes, if they had good information on a general location they will search for any type of evidence. We have slid down mountain sides looking for less.

With that though, I want to add that it seems that there is NO confirmation that a phone is what they are looking for. "Forensic evidence" is what LE has stated and someone in the media went the cell phone route. So, I would caution against hanging on the cell phone thing too much.
The dogs working are HRD dogs, and more than likely the two legged SAR members are out there looking for disturbances in the ground. Further pointing AWAY from the phone theory is that if they were looking for something like that they would be using huge numbers of people and working very tiny grids (read shoulder to shoulder possibly). I haven't seen or heard anything that shows that kind of numbers. A half dozen or dozen searchers looking for a needle in a haystack is kind of pointless.

I thought this bit about the cell phone or other evidence was interesting and potentially encouraging, because it means that such an extensive search doesn't necessarily imply that they are looking for remains.

ETA: And also that if they DO find evidence, it could be what is needed to find out what really happened and build a good case.

The thought that the searchers are looking for something specific, not just remains, is encouraging!

TH isn't talking and that leads me to think that she believes that as long as she remains silent, her crime is well hidden. How much does DD know? Does she know enough to break this case open and lead LE to Kyron?

Help me, please. I could swear I read an article that said Lt. Mary Lindstrandt (I know I'm spelling that wrong) said either last night or this morning that they don't have plans for any more searches today or this week. Now I'm seeing articles saying they are going to search again today.

Have I lost my mind?

ETA: Found it

There are no plans as of yet to continue the search tomorrow morning, Lindstrand said, but teams could return to specific areas if additional tips surface.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/searchers_return_to_hunt_for_k.html

Can "searching for forensic evidence" include searching for a body? I'm sure that it can include searching for blood, clothing, glasses, murder weapon, etc. I can't see these women walking around in the deep woods ditching a phone, unless one of them lost it while walking around in there.

Is there a timeline somewhere with verified info?
I'm sure it's been answered, but it would take me days to find it at this point. Did anyone actually see him being dropped off at the school that morning?

Can "searching for forensic evidence" include searching for a body? I'm sure that it can include searching for blood, clothing, glasses, murder weapon, etc. I can't see these women walking around in the deep woods ditching a phone, unless one of them lost it while walking around in there.

It's a very broad term which includes pretty much anything, so yes to your question.

I think it's interesting that they were asking people who live along Old Germantown if they had seen a white truck the day Kyron went missing. I don't believe anything we've heard said DeDe left the place she was working in her car (please correct me if that's wrong) so it might mean that Terri met her that day on a remote part of the property. Whether she did leave in her car is something you'd think LE would definitely know from the people who noticed she wasn't around.

I think it's interesting that they were asking people who live along Old Germantown if they had seen a white truck the day Kyron went missing. I don't believe anything we've heard said DeDe left the place she was working in her car (please correct me if that's wrong) so it might mean that Terri met her that day on a remote part of the property. Whether she did leave in her car is something you'd think LE would definitely know from the people who noticed she wasn't around.

I get the feeling that if DDS and TMH met up that day, it was Terri who drove there to meet her. So hypothetically let's say DeDe walks/runs to the edge of the property she was working at - near the road and meets with Terri in the truck - then what? Do they leave together in the truck - and then Terri brings DeDe back before she goes to work out?

Also iirc, the people working with DDS are the ones who said she left her cell phone at home (probably as an excuse for 'why didn't you answer when i called you for lunch'). Their testimony could be helpful especially if LE has determined DDS did have her cell phone with her and TMH called her on it. We don't know for sure if TMH told LE she talked to DDS on this day or not, do we?

ETA: It takes about 24 mins. to get from the home where DDS was working to the gym (if I mapped the correct one). DeDe goes missing at 11:15 and Terri checks in to the gym at 11:39 = 24 mins. Coincidence? Terri gets done working out at 12:40 and DeDe returns to work at 1:00 = 20 mins. My questions: 1) Did they work out together, 2) Did DDS work out in place of TMH, 3) If so, what did TMH do during this time? 24 Hr Fitness should know via cameras if they were both there, or DDS was there instead of TMH - I would think.

Does anyone know if they are searching again today?

According to the Lt. spokesperson for the dept. they had no plans to search today again. I believe the article is a few posts up where she is quoted.

actually imagine what info could be gleaned from the cell phone...

jmhoo but I think they are searching for more than phones... "forensic evidence" though... they are looking for something connected to the case...

Finding one of those disposable cell phones would be a great find! TH had help, and although we now know of DD, I think there's at least one more involved. Imagine all the phone numbers that could be traced!

I've been away from my computer for several hours but just noticed that the CBS Early Show video is featured on my Comcast homepage with the caption "New Tip In Kyron Case". I'm pleased to know that this missing child case is still newsworthy, and I would like very much for Kyron to be located very soon. Thoughts and prayers continue for this beautiful and bright little guy.

bingo :-)

testimony was on friday from the friends

search started on saturday

interesting time of events eh?

And surely not a coincidence! :twocents:

matou said:
Can "searching for forensic evidence" include searching for a body? I'm sure that it can include searching for blood, clothing, glasses, murder weapon, etc.
Of course it can be all that plus the phones - "forensic" is an interesting word. I actually means "forum" or "court." So forensic science is the study of things to be brought forth in court, and forensic evidence is anything suitable as evidence in a court of law.

I was thinking about other ways they might be able to trace the damning conversation, if there is one, on a lost cellphone. Couldn't they pinpoint the date and time of day the store at Lloyd Center sold the girls the phones, and even narrow it further by women's names, or anons (if you can do that) and then investigate those possibly 5 or 10 phone numbers? Maybe I'm not understanding the technology well enough.

These phones do not come with a pre-programmed phone number, and the merchant selling the phone would have no way to provide the phone numbers that were assigned to them. When you buy one of these phones, you call a phone number, tell them what area code you want the phone set up for, and they issue you a number. Unless you "refill" the phone with more minutes, you lose the phone number, and when you buy another throw-away phone, you call and get a new number.

I know this because my daughter's first couple of cell phones (at age 10-12) were prepaid becasue she had no real NEED for one, and did not use it often. I saw no point paying a lot more and committing to a 2 year contract to get a "regular" cell phone.

Now she has a real cell phone. Has had the same number for 7 years. And I couldn't tell you what it is to save my life. In my phone, it just says "L*****" and I pick that, and it calls her.

If these ladies immediately entered one another's numbers into their phones, and then assigned them names "Red", "Secret Squirrel", etc. and dialed all calls by name, they might not really KNOW what the assigned numbers were. An incoming call would show up on the screen as the associated name, the number would not appear.

But they know what "fake" name they bought them under and they can be traced that way too.

These phones do not come with a pre-programmed phone number, and the merchant selling the phone would have no way to provide the phone numbers that were assigned to them. When you buy one of these phones, you call a phone number, tell them what area code you want the phone set up for, and they issue you a number. Unless you "refill" the phone with more minutes, you lose the phone number, and when you buy another throw-away phone, you call and get a new number.

I know this because my daughter's first couple of cell phones (at age 10-12) were prepaid becasue she had no real NEED for one, and did not use it often. I saw no point paying a lot more and committing to a 2 year contract to get a "regular" cell phone.

Now she has a real cell phone. Has had the same number for 7 years. And I couldn't tell you what it is to save my life. In my phone, it just says "L*****" and I pick that, and it calls her.

If these ladies immediately entered one another's numbers into their phones, and then assigned them names "Red", "Secret Squirrel", etc. and dialed all calls by name, they might not really KNOW what the assigned numbers were. An incoming call would show up on the screen as the associated name, the number would not appear.

Secret Squirrel...ROFL!!!!! That made my day, lol!

I get the feeling that if DDS and TMH met up that day, it was Terri who drove there to meet her. So hypothetically let's say DeDe walks/runs to the edge of the property she was working at - near the road and meets with Terri in the truck - then what? Do they leave together in the truck - and then Terri brings DeDe back before she goes to work out?
[snip]
ETA: It takes about 24 mins. to get from the home where DDS was working to the gym (if I mapped the correct one). DeDe goes missing at 11:15 and Terri checks in to the gym at 11:39 = 24 mins. Coincidence? Terri gets done working out at 12:40 and DeDe returns to work at 1:00 = 20 mins. My questions: 1) Did they work out together, 2) Did DDS work out in place of TMH, 3) If so, what did TMH do during this time? 24 Hr Fitness should know via cameras if they were both there, or DDS was there instead of TMH - I would think.

How about TH meets DDS at the edge of the property (or something like that) and makes a "hand off" to her to complete the process of disposal or concealment, and then proceeds to the gym? This would explain why the "missing time" for the two women doesn't overlap (assuming the timelines that have been reported are accurate). Didn't one of DDS's friends say that DDS had never actually left the property where she was working that day? Just speculation.

As far as them looking for a cell phone. Are these the phones that were purchased after Kaine moved out? Or are they saying that Terry and Deede bought phones before Kyron went missing, and used them on the 4th? None of the searching for cell phones is making any sense to me, or am I just daft?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kezzx
Back