Found Deceased Ireland - Tina Satchwell, 45, Youghal, Co. Cork, 20 March 2017 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Google Maps is rubbish for Ireland, I was also looking at it intensively the other day. They have Grattan Street marked as Catherine Street. Grattan St is the short stretch that the Credit Union is on. The Credit Union will be a fully secure building, no residential apartments.

Tina's property is the building on the right hand of the two attached terraces, the one with the lane beside it.
Thank you neteditor.

Google Maps is rubbish for Ireland, I was also looking at it intensively the other day. They have Grattan Street marked as Catherine Street. Grattan St is the short stretch that the Credit Union is on. The Credit Union will be a fully secure building, no residential apartments.

Tina's property is the building on the right hand of the two attached terraces, the one with the lane beside it.
Which number Tina's house please. I'm still struggling to locate it.

If he said guilty to the Garda can he still change his plea when he gets to court?

I don't think so, but I'm not certain. I'll have a look about and edit this post if I find info. I've never heard of a plea being changed. It's the equivalent step in the UK of pleading guilty at the first appearance before a magistrate (which Ireland doesn't have.)

ETA: This is the only relevant item I've found (all the legal advice available related to changing plea the other way, from NG to G.)

So, it's possible to change your plea to NG at any stage in proceedings, but a judge has to approve it and there has to be solid legal reasoning.

Whatever a defendant says to Gardai at the point of charge is used as evidence. So it would be a valid mitigation to have pleaded guilty at this first opportunity, and I'm sure used against you if you later change to NG at any stage.

Last edited:
I agree, turn of the century houses, late Victorian or early Edwardian I'd say. They aren't there on the 1877 OS map, it's all coal yards at that stage.

Irish drains are generally shockingly poor compared to other countries I've lived in, it was only a matter of time. I wonder if he was bricking it when the next door was being brought back into use. I am assuming it's one of those long-term empty properties that the government enforced back into use (there's quite a few in my town undergoing the same, compulsory purchases etc.

I agree, turn of the century houses, late Victorian or early Edwardian I'd say. They aren't there on the 1877 OS map, it's all coal yards at that stage.

Irish drains are generally shockingly poor compared to other countries I've lived in, it was only a matter of time. I wonder if he was bricking it when the next door was being brought back into use. I am assuming it's one of those long-term empty properties that the government enforced back into use (there's quite a few in my town undergoing the same, compulsory purchases etc.)
I'm not sure about the compulsory purchase, someone renovated it and it is up for sale again (they did a lovely job, I wonder why they put it back up for sale so quickly).

From the rumours around town, someone came to try to sort out the drains as the next door neighbours were having problems, I'm not sure if it was the Council or a private contractor but they had to pull the drain apart and apparently found her hand which was now skeletonised (you will see that in the papers it says that almost a full skeleton was found). And they went to the Guards about it. Apparently he had a cement floor in the house and an outside patio laid last year and the lads who did it found it a bit weird as he had walled in the access to the understairs space, which I would assume is at the back of the house near the drainage system.

He put her in a space that was under the floor by the wall and then blocked it up.

I am just so glad she has finally been found, her poor siblings have been heartbroken not knowing where she was (she would have never left without at least telling one of them), they are a very close family, and spend a lot of time together, another reason I believe why he persuaded her to move to Youghal, there is no direct bus route and I know she didn't drive and neither do her siblings. I think he wanted her isolated and unable to spend as much time with her family.

I rewatched one of the interviews that he had done over the years, and now with hindsight, he comes across as sounding a bit petty and annoyed.

The example he gave was that Tina's nana never had a wedding ring and she had always wanted one, when she got cancer Tina gifted her wedding ring to her which she is buried with, on the one hand he is pointing out how Tina was a lovely and generous woman but then went on to say that he had to go and buy her a new one (I felt that he was angry in how dare she give the ring I gave her to someone else and sounded annoyed he had to fork out more money for another one).

It's just knowing now for certain that she was dead by his hand before he gave these interviews about how brilliant he was to her and that he spoiled her, I think he took the fact that she liked nice things and used that as a way to control her, but that's just my opinion.

Tina vanished right after the Ian Stewart trial (Helen Bailey murder). I don't know if the houses on Grattan Street would originally have had septic tank waste disposal. They will be on the mains sewer system now I imagine, but there's a chance there's old systems or other types of underground storages existing there. On the 1877 OS map, that street is all coal yards and (I presume) harbour/dock related buildings. I'm guessing the house were built around the turn of the 20th century perhaps. Do we have any locals here who would know more? It's only a 2 hour drive from me, I might take a spin down.
I know there is a water treatment plant out by the 'dump' at Foxhole which is the road out of town that goes towards the Dungarvan/Waterford road, I don't know how long it's been there.
It's by the quayside and the Dock is further down.

It is right where Moby Dick was filmed across from the Credit Union. But I don't think there would be old sewage tanks there, they don't have gardens, they have a small yard at the back and side of the house.

My husband is from here and we also lived in Cobh for a time and most houses of that vintage that were not big and posh just had a small rear yard (a load of the cliff face came down and damaged a ton of houses in Cobh 10 - 15 years ago and if you go to Cobh you will see nets and big bolts securing the cliff behind the houses.

Hi, just joining this thread. My interest was caught when I noticed Youghal. It's not often you see Youghal come up in the news. This article linked above, says he met Tina in England where she lived next door to his brother. Was Tina Irish or English?
Tina was Irish but on her late teens she moved over to England where her sister still lives and came back with him a few years later.

The only buildings in Grattan Street, Youghal, is the Credit Union Building (is that purely for the bank or do they have apartments within the building, I wonder?) and the end of a building next door to it. EDITED to add Google Maps is incorrect and the link below to 2 Grattan Street shows a correct map within it, plus a look inside of the house at no 2

Anyone know what the end of the building next to it is? Its a very short street. Which property was Tinas?
JMO

I've found this online and it doesn't reflect the google maps image I've shown of Grattan Street. I'm confused though I see now the map they have of the street in here is different to google maps.
2 Grattan Street, Youghal, Co. Cork – FindAHome.ie

Edited to add: Youghal Credit Union are supporting an upcoming event on the history of friends and foes in Youghal. Ironic.

Edited to add: All above is just my opinion.
There are a few houses across the road from the Credit Union, that is Gratten Terrace, you will see the whole street named as Catherine Street, but it isn't.

The house for sale is the one next door to Tina's, hers is the beige house with Brown PVC door and White PVC windows.

To the left of their house (as you are coming out their front door is their side yard which is gated, this is where he parked his vehicles as far as I know).

If you are going right out the front door the house that is renovated is next to them and the lane next to that is actually the back of Cal Flavins hardware store.

There are a few houses across the road from the Credit Union, that is Gratten Terrace, you will see the whole street named as Catherine Street, but it isn't.

The house for sale is the one next door to Tina's, hers is the beige house with Brown PVC door and White PVC windows.

To the left of their house (as you are coming out their front door is their side yard which is gated, this is where he parked his vehicles as far as I know).

If you are going right out the front door the house that is renovated is next to them and the lane next to that is actually the back of Cal Flavins hardware store.
thank you

It looks like he may have kept her in his lockup as he was even doing interviews in the house, I don't think he brought her back to the house for some time.
and the lock-up was away from the property?

A man in his fifties who is charged with the murder of his wife has been further remanded in custody having appeared at Clonmel District Court in Co Tipperary this morning.

Richard Satchwell was charged with the murder of Tina Satchwell at Cashel District Court last Saturday.

Mr Satchwell, 57, did not speak during the short hearing by video link from prison at Clonmel Court this morning.

Judge Power remanded Mr Satchwell in custody to appear before the court again on 7 November next.

Gardaí are awaiting Director of Public Prosecution instructions in the case.

A man in his fifties who is charged with the murder of his wife has been further remanded in custody having appeared at Clonmel District Court in Co Tipperary this morning.

Richard Satchwell was charged with the murder of Tina Satchwell at Cashel District Court last Saturday.

Mr Satchwell, 57, did not speak during the short hearing by video link from prison at Clonmel Court this morning.

Judge Power remanded Mr Satchwell in custody to appear before the court again on 7 November next.

Gardaí are awaiting Director of Public Prosecution instructions in the case.

Thanks for sharing. Not long until 7th November.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist
Back