Is there any possibility of a Plea Deal on the Murder Charges?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Do you think this case will end in a plea agreement?

• Yes

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • no

Votes: 100 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Snipped and BBM

I've questioned reason(s) behind this trial moving forward as it has with all the evidence that has been presented in this case. I wonder if it's not because of a combination of the above mentioned reasons. Is Baez advising her that she has a chance to beat this or is Casey the one deluding herself thinking she can and Baez has no other choice but to defend her like she wants him to? Does that make sense?

I'm not sure Casey is deluding herself about anything, I think she is behind all of this and knows she has been caught "dead to rights". This is costing her nothing she hasn't lost already, the icing on the cake is the tempest in a thimble she is creating, she loves and craves the notoriety, court appearances and her parents immolating themselves publicly on her behalf. In fact I think she enjoys the parental sacrifice more than anything else, It shows truly, at last, she has wrested their affections away from Caylee.

She has nothing to lose here and she is right she won't be broken because there is nothing there to break...

Why should she agree to any plea deal? If she would doesn't it kill her chances of any appeals to try to wiggle out of the punishment she is given for her crime?
If she is sentenced as a result on a verdict by Jury, isn't she free then to do appeal after appeal and free to get it overturned or get a pardon or the like?

Yes but if she agrees to a plea deal she (assuming the SA agrees) gets a lesser punishment. If she goes to trial she could potentially get death penalty (although, I am unsure if the Jury will be persuaded to impose the DP, more likely LWOP if its 1st or if the Defense persuade them to simply convict of Murder 2nd (max of life or 30 less 15%) and/or aggravated manslaughter (max 30 years less 15%) its up to the judge).

Therefore, copping a plea would mean she gets a lesser punishment then what she may get in exchange for pleading guilty and (under most plea deals) waiving the majority of her appeal rights.

Yes but if she agrees to a plea deal she (assuming the SA agrees) gets a lesser punishment. If she goes to trial she could potentially get death penalty (although, I am unsure if the Jury will be persuaded to impose the DP, more likely LWOP if its 1st or if the Defense persuade them to simply convict of Murder 2nd (max of life or 30 less 15%) and/or aggravated manslaughter (max 30 years less 15%) its up to the judge).

Therefore, copping a plea would mean she gets a lesser punishment then what she may get in exchange for pleading guilty and (under most plea deals) waiving the majority of her appeal rights.

IMO Inmate Casey Anthony does not just lie to other people,she lies to herself,also.
She stays in the moment ,within her own story.Right now she is righteously indignant that the State is trying "to kill her" (AL )" "on a bleeping whim"(ICA). She doesn't allow herself to think of what she did,only beating the State in this game. Part of that game is ignoring parents in hearings ,twisting the knife.She would be having fun,if she could just get a decent outfit JMVHO

She will never be allowed to plea. That means JB has to go back to doing real work.

Snipped and BBM

I've questioned reason(s) behind this trial moving forward as it has with all the evidence that has been presented in this case. I wonder if it's not because of a combination of the above mentioned reasons. Is Baez advising her that she has a chance to beat this or is Casey the one deluding herself thinking she can and Baez has no other choice but to defend her like she wants him to? Does that make sense?

Casey believes she will get away with killing Caylee. Nobody has made her be responsible for her actions before and she feels she can do it again. JB feeds into her privelaged attitude and tells her what she wants to hear. Casey loves the attention, as well as JB, and they will go the whole "mile" to stay in the lime light. Casey will pretend to herself until the jury comes back with a guilty verdict. No thought in what she has done or the outcome. To be honest, I see Casey forever telling stories to herself and anyone else that will listenl in jail.

Teresa

I don't know who is feeding who the BS..but ICA does feel there will be a mistrial...I wonder if this is a preplanned script that she/Baez has gotten her family to go along with? Scary thought if they believe they can sabotage this trial. I want this trial to go off without any problems...Caylee's justice is at stake here...Her grandparents are not being Caylee's voice and have rallied around ICA..I hope His Honor has a back up plan..

I also believe Baez wanted to stay with this case due only to getting himself DP qualified..He can then name his price to defend others..after all, indigent cases only get him $3.00 an hour....JMHO

Justice for Caylee

To my limited kge. JB may not get an attorney salary on this case but he gets paid in full for all expenses which far exceeds his salary as an attorney. I can't recall Geragos's take on his services w/Scott P. but I believed this County shuffled out about $750,000. MG did not put on much of a defense at all, though he spoke a good story that he would. Scott hired him and then went Pro Bono and since MG was so far into the case, it was too late for a PD, so the counties (2) got stuck with the bill.

Same thing as what ICA is doing. The peterson's lost their house defending Scott. I don't think Cindy will allow that; I am betting she has taking care of that pesky matter.

Not gonna convince ICA to take a plea deal. ICA doesn't want to go to the Big House, she likes her dorm room here with commissary privileges. ICA simply will not tell the truth about how she murdered Caylee Marie. She wants this trial to linger on, for she is a VIP and the star of the entire country. Everyone will be watching, and she is going to look good. Casey was the “Event Planner” and this event was her punishment for CA. Nobody gets away with choking and threatening ICA, so CA got what she deserved. ICA is sure the jury will sympathize with her when they see CA up on the stand, flaring her nostrils, glaring at the SA, bearing herself like the grief-stricken grandma, and wearing her trauma like a tiara, tissues in hand. The jury will see CA the control freak made ICA do it. The jury will understand that ICA had to "save" Caylee Marie from the same stark raving mad temper tantrums meted out by CA. Maybe CA will cause a mistrial.
For sure, JB wants no plea. He is enjoying the media attention he has worked so hard for. He regards himself as the most coveted attorney in the state, even the entire country, with this high stakes trial. He loves being on camera, showing off with his “posing: and smirks. Smirks aren’t smart, but JB thinks they make the SA nervous, just like his pen clicking.

IMO that's a common misconception. The thing about prison is it's a better place to do time then jail is in that there are things to do. Prisons are state funded. You can get a job, you can go to N/A or A/A, church services, law library/ educational area. The commissary is usually cheaper, and offers more items then jails. Some prisons even still allow TV's in the cell and you can earn privileges. The prisoners are a lot more stable as well, no-one going through detox all sick or acting all dumb. Prisons normally house prisoners with "like crimes" together for the prisoners safety and to make running the facility easier. Everyone isn't all clumped together like in jail.

If you ask someone who's done time in both jail and prison which one they'd rather, most will say they'd rather serve their time in prison IMO.

He can then name his price to defend others..after all, indigent cases only get him $3.00 an hour....JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Snipped by me. The problem is: how much does an indignent DP-qualified attorney get on a DP case as opposed to a non-DP felony/misdemeanour case? Because, as I understand the vast-majority of capital cases involve indignant defendants.

IMO that's a common misconception. The thing about prison is it's a better place to do time then jail is in that there are things to do. Prisons are state funded. You can get a job, you can go to N/A or A/A, church services, law library/ educational area. The commissary is usually cheaper, and offers more items then jails. Some prisons even still allow TV's in the cell and you can earn privileges. The prisoners are a lot more stable as well, no-one going through detox all sick or acting all dumb. Prisons normally house prisoners with "like crimes" together for the prisoners safety and to make running the facility easier. Everyone isn't all clumped together like in jail.

If you ask someone who's done time in both jail and prison which one they'd rather, most will say they'd rather serve their time in prison IMO.

Unless, of course, she gets the DP in which case she won't get most of those privileges.

I still see less than 50% chance she gets the DP but just thought I would add my two cents.

A private attorney who is death qualified would most likely get maximum salary and all paid by the tax payer. Many want to be death-qualified and I assume it is not just out of the goodness of their tiny pea picking hearts.

Pro bono cases are typically taken by attorneys for very small cases..such as bankruptcys, wrongfull firing, child support, etc. Criminal cases involving death who go pro bono are taken by attorneys who see a big payoff in the end. A fat paycheck by the State or notoriety are to be had by them offering their services.

Does JB even have another case? He may be living off his practice (he has more attorneys in the firm to my kge) for awhile, awaiting fame and fortune.

I agree with what OLG said with the exception of the Orange County Facility. That facility seems to be top notch for a County Jail. She is special there. She has a special cell. I don't think ICA will like to leave it. She is accoustmed to it and she HATES change. It will not be a good day for her when she is sentenced..and I am looking forward to watching her get cuffed and taken out.

Unfortunately, she will also be treated "special" in prison too. She will have no cell mate. She will not be offered all those ammenities since she is "special". Now, if only they would keep her away from staff also, my dream may come true.

It will be a nightmare if she is placed near staff and worse yet if there is a naive young male Correctional Officer in her sight.

I don't know who is feeding who the BS..but ICA does feel there will be a mistrial...I wonder if this is a preplanned script that she/Baez has gotten her family to go along with? Scary thought if they believe they can sabotage this trial. I want this trial to go off without any problems...Caylee's justice is at stake here...Her grandparents are not being Caylee's voice and have rallied around ICA..I hope His Honor has a back up plan..

I also believe Baez wanted to stay with this case due only to getting himself DP qualified..He can then name his price to defend others..after all, indigent cases only get him $3.00 an hour....JMHO

Justice for Caylee

I just don't get why ICA thinks a mistrial is a win - doesn't it mean that the trial process starts again? And she still will get convicted?

Or has JB insinuated that a mistrial equals going free?

I just don't get why ICA thinks a mistrial is a win - doesn't it mean that the trial process starts again? And she still will get convicted?

Bouncing ideas around:

If she is sociopathic and attention hungry then a mistrial equals a new trial equals more attention.

IMO she thinks it means she is free. I don't think she understands what mistrial means. :crazy: It will only delay the inevitable.

I'm not sure Casey is deluding herself about anything, I think she is behind all of this and knows she has been caught "dead to rights". This is costing her nothing she hasn't lost already, the icing on the cake is the tempest in a thimble she is creating, she loves and craves the notoriety, court appearances and her parents immolating themselves publicly on her behalf. In fact I think she enjoys the parental sacrifice more than anything else, It shows truly, at last, she has wrested their affections away from Caylee.

She has nothing to lose here and she is right she won't be broken because there is nothing there to break...

I agree, she does enjoy the notoriety. I also think she's selfish enough that she would sacrifice anybody and anything that has the misfortune to get in her way. I just can't see the rational behind taking the chance of facing the death penalty for the opportunity to watch her parents throw themselves on their swords trying to protect her.

She may be rationalizing that she doesn't have anything to lose, but I disagree. I would have packed it in and made a deal the moment I thought my mother or 82 year old grandmother would be put on the stand and scrutinized under a microscope by the media, I wouldn't put either one of them through that, but that's me :)

Snipped by me. The problem is: how much does an indignent DP-qualified attorney get on a DP case as opposed to a non-DP felony/misdemeanour case? Because, as I understand the vast-majority of capital cases involve indignant defendants.

It's not just money, it's the headlines and camera time. Baez stated in the Insession interview that he did no advertising, that all of his clientele was from 'word of mouth'. I'd say three years of having a client who has made national and international headlines is fairly good 'word of mouth'.

A plea deal submitted by ICA could look like : I'm pleading guilty to witnessing an accident, will agree to time served for my eyes seeing an accident happen........JMO

But what about the thing Melich was talking about - the "hierarchy" in prisons? He said something about people in prison that harm/kill children aren't met with much kindness (putting it lightly) from other inmates in prison. Do you think Casey is going to be in any danger of being beat up or anything in prison? Melich made the statement about prison hierarchy to George, so maybe he was just trying to scare George into trying to make Casey talk. I don't know.

Unless, of course, she gets the DP in which case she won't get most of those privileges.

I still see less than 50% chance she gets the DP but just thought I would add my two cents.

When Judge Belvin Perry was Prosecutor ,he prosecuted a DP case of a woman who killed her husband.She got the DP and another WSER said Judge Perry even attended the execution. I think that may raise the odds a bit.

When Judge Belvin Perry was Prosecutor ,he prosecuted a DP case of a woman who killed her husband.She got the DP and another WSER said Judge Perry even attended the execution. I think that may raise the odds a bit.

BBM
Casey Judge Recalls Black Widow's Death Sentence
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lSr-8eLUXw[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member