Is there any possibility of a Plea Deal on the Murder Charges?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Do you think this case will end in a plea agreement?

• Yes

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • no

Votes: 100 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think this fits into the plea topic. Yes, the evidence in the trunk has not really panned out for the Le. I do not think they will be able to prove Caylee was in the trunk. I base that on whats not there. As Dr Vass said it was not consistent with the child in the trunk in Montana. There should have been much more there.

No fibers at the crime scene matched up with anything in the car.
No finger prints.

To me it was Jb taking Hl into examine the car. That to me was a huge risk. Hl found more hairs and that lead to the garage finding even more hairs. Those potentially could have had the death band on them, but they didn't. Jb knew Caylee was never in that trunk and thats why he let Hl examine it.

Second big one to me was Jb saying to Kb she wasn't there, your in la la land. That starts to knock out the accident theory.

Third was Jb recently saying no chance for a plea, this is going to trial.

Jb is playing dumb, and it is an act. AL is playing scared (witch trials) and it is an act. They are sandbagging. When they get a chance to make their case at trial, it is going to be volley fire. We haven't even discussed Le mistakes.

That is my opinion. This week the two sides are to sit down and exchange discovery. The Sa may find out with proof that the body wasn't there in August. Hence the deadline. Moo They are confident, silence is golden.

Hi NTS,

I hope this isn't getting too OT. Maybe we should discuss on the evidence in the trunk thread. As far as the plea deal goes and the defense' confidence, I just don't see it. To me, their actions seems to be just SOP in cases like this.

Regarding the Montana child who was in the trunk, does anyone really expect that what was found should be consistent with what was found in KC's trunk? After all, the child in Montana lay in that trunk for months. If Caylee were in KC's trunk, she was only there for three, four days at the most I think. Certainly, we could expect more to be found in the former case.

I didn't know that all the fiber evidence has been examined and reported on. Do you have a link that shows no fibers found at the scene matched any from the trunk? Not saying that you are wrong, I just haven't read this in the documents yet and would like to see it. The fiber evidence is something I have been waiting to see.

I don't understand how JB accusing KB of being in la la land because the body wasn't in the trunk knocks out the accident theory. (or starts to as you say)

I still don't see any facts that the defense has that would give them confidence in their case to the point of turning down a potentially life-saving plea deal for KC.

Hello WS :)

From WS Today's Current News thread(Thank You AWC :) ).

http://www.wesh.com/news/23545821/detail.html

"We were accused of seeking the death penalty because the defendant wouldn't accept some phantom plea," Ashton said.

So, there never was a plea? I have never read this thread.(trying to keep up on all the information in this case has me falling further, and further behind what everyone else knows and is talking about.)

I'm not glad the trial is still a year away, but I am happy for the time to try and catch up. :crazy: I just get ready to read a thread, for example: Aggravating Factors, and after reading today's news I find I need to understand if there was a plea or not. It goes on and on like that, and there are very few days when I do not read here at WS. :) I feel I can read at a fairly swift pace, comprehension while reading was one of my strong points when I took that type of test in school but sometimes it's not so easy. I enjoy a challenge, and keeping up with other WSers is a challenge.

:blowkiss:

...JS...

This thread is a moot point! Not Gonna Happen.:snooty: Now that the body has been found, the State has no reason to offer her a plea deal, and there is zero sign that Casey would ever admit Guilt, she won't say it's an accident, because it wasn't and she's trying to blame it on SODDI.

Hello WS :)

From WS Today's Current News thread(Thank You AWC :) ).

http://www.wesh.com/news/23545821/detail.html

"We were accused of seeking the death penalty because the defendant wouldn't accept some phantom plea," Ashton said.

So, there never was a plea? I have never read this thread.(trying to keep up on all the information in this case has me falling further, and further behind what everyone else knows and is talking about.)

I'm not glad the trial is still a year away, but I am happy for the time to try and catch up. :crazy: I just get ready to read a thread, for example: Aggravating Factors, and after reading today's news I find I need to understand if there was a plea or not. It goes on and on like that, and there are very few days when I do not read here at WS. :) I feel I can read at a fairly swift pace, comprehension while reading was one of my strong points when I took that type of test in school but sometimes it's not so easy. I enjoy a challenge, and keeping up with other WSers is a challenge.

:blowkiss:

...JS...

Ahhh little Chiquita71, I am running in the thread coming your way also trying to get caught up. LOL!!! In any case, I do not know if there ver was a plea deal. But IMHO the SAO has more than enough solid evidence that poor Caylee did in fact lay dead for at least some time in the trunk of her mother's vehicle.

In fact I just found something new today about evidence re: the trunk! My head is spinning, round and round.

On the astrology thread, some of us were discussing ICA taking an Alford Plea. I wonder if this would be acceptable to the SA and HHBP....It would at least save the gory details of Caylee's last moments alive..JMHO

There is no perfect or simple definition of PLEA BARGAINING. Black's Law Dictionary defines it as follows:

"[t]he process whereby the ACCUSED and the PROSECUTOR in a criminal case work out a mutually satisfactory DISPOSITION of the case subject to court approval. It usually involves the defendant's pleading guilty to a lesser offense or to only one or some of the counts of a multi-count INDICTMENT in return for a lighter sentence than that possible for the graver charge."

In practice, PLEA bargaining often represents not so much "mutual satisfaction" as perhaps "mutual acknowledgement" of the strengths or weaknesses of both the charges and the defenses, against a backdrop of crowded criminal courts and court case dockets. Plea bargaining usually occurs prior to trial but, in some jurisdictions, may occur any time before a verdict is rendered. It also is often negotiated after a trial that has resulted in a HUNG JURY: the parties may negotiate a plea rather than go through another trial.

Plea bargaining actually involves three areas of negotiation:

•Charge Bargaining: This is a common and widely known form of plea. It involves a negotiation of the specific charges (counts) or crimes that the DEFENDANT will face at trial. Usually, in return for a plea of "guilty" to a lesser charge, a prosecutor will dismiss the higher or other charge(s) or counts. For example, in return for dismissing charges for first-degree murder, a prosecutor may accept a "guilty" plea for MANSLAUGHTER (subject to court approval).
•Sentence Bargaining: Sentence bargaining involves the agreement to a plea of guilty (for the stated charge rather than a reduced charge) in return for a lighter sentence. It saves the prosecution the necessity of going through trial and proving its case. It provides the defendant with an opportunity for a lighter sentence.
•Fact Bargaining: The least used negotiation involves an admission to certain facts ("stipulating "to the truth and existence of provable facts, thereby eliminating the need for the prosecutor to have to prove them) in return for an agreement not to introduce certain other facts into EVIDENCE.
The validity of a plea bargain is dependent upon three essential components:

•a knowing WAIVER of rights
•a voluntary waiver
•a factual basis to support the charges to which the defendant is pleading guilty
Plea bargaining generally occurs on the telephone or in the prosecutor's office at the courtroom. Judges are not involved except in very rare circumstances. Plea bargains that are accepted by the judge are then placed "on the record" in OPEN COURT. The defendant must be present.

One important point is a prosecuting attorney has no authority to force a court to accept a plea agreement entered into by the parties. Prosecutors may only "recommend" to the court the acceptance of a plea arrangement. The court will usually take proofs to ensure that the above three components are satisfied and will then generally accept the recommendation of the prosecution.

Moreover, plea bargaining is not as simple as it may first appear. In effectively negotiating a criminal plea arrangement, the attorney must have the technical knowledge of every "element" of a crime or charge, an understanding of the actual or potential evidence that exists or could be developed, a technical knowledge of "lesser included offenses" versus separate counts or crimes, and a reasonable understanding of sentencing guidelines.

much more at the link:

http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-encyclopedia/plea-bargaining

Hello WS

Thank you LivLaughLuv for that information. I have wondered about a plea deal and I am reading to understand anything about it at all. :) I still don't know or understand if "there is any possibility of a Plea Deal." Not for lack of available information, though. Is there a dead line for a plea? Could a plea be struck once a trial has begun? TIA.

Jail Tape
Aug 14th, 2008

CA: In his absence Dominic is a good person if you want to talk to anybody.
(skip)
CA: Well, I just hope he's tellin' you honestly what you're up against.
KC: Mom, I know what I'm up against, do you guys honestly understand what I'm up against? And with keeping me here, you're not helping me help myself.
(end)

Casey: (paraphrased) She has to keep her mouth shut or LE and the media will have more stuff to "throw back at me at trial."

I really do wonder what is said between Casey and her legal team.

:twocents:

Hypothetically speaking,
If KC is innocent of premeditated murder, would any plea deal resulting in jail time be acceptable?

She will have sat in silence in solitary for 3 years waiting for a long protracted trial, by the time she gets one. People charged but innocent of first degree murder likely wouldn't find that even remotely acceptable. Then again innocent people cooperate.

Edited to add- NTS please continue the endless trunk discussion on the appropriate thread and stop derailing all the others. Tks

I don't think it's possible for JB to 'play dumb' he is that naturally. How many years did it take for him to be admitted to the bar?

AL working feverishly on mitigation doesn't suggest a confident defense either. LOL!

With no plea deal in the works, do you think that the Sa will treat GA and CA as hostile witnesses on the stand? Because you can't have it both ways. If you need Ga and Ca to prove that the smell of human decomp was in the car, then you need them to be credible. I thought they were on the states witness list no? My opinion is that there will be no plea deal and I base that on the defense confidence. Moo

I don't think the prosecution needs GA and CA to prove there was the odor of human decomp in the car. There's numerous witnesses to the odor in the car, plus a cadaver dog hit on the trunk of the car. About the only thing GA and CA are useful for as prosecution witnesses is establishing a time line...........a sequence of events.

The fact that there's no plea deal in the works doesn't necessarily mean the defense is confident of their case. The reason there's no plea deal in the works at this time has more to do with the high degree of confidence the prosecution has in their case.

In late July/early August of 2008 the prosecution offered the defense an opportunity to make a plea bargain. Along with that offer was a deadline - the defense had a 3-week window to respond. JB scoffed at the offer and let that deadline pass without a response.

It's notable that after Caylee's remains were found, the prosecution not only didn't offer a plea bargain, but in addition put the death penalty back on the table. That's the degree of confidence the prosecution has in their case.......no plea bargain and asking for the death penalty.

After the death penalty was put back on the table, AL was added to the defense team as a death penalty qualified attorney. AL hasn't ever stated that KC was not guilty. Her only aim has been to reduce the penalty from death to LWOP

At this point, the prosecution probably wouldn't agree to a plea bargain.

I just finished watching the Laramie Project about the murder of a yound gay man in Wyoming. During jury selection, all the prospective jurors were questioned on their ability to reccomend the DP if the evidence led them there. It was their responses, the overwhelming yes's that promted the defendent to plead guilty.

Any chance ICA will have a similar revelation? Any chance the State would entertain a deal offered by the defense?

IMO, there will be no offer of a plea deal...at this point (that ship sailed long ago, especially after Caylee's remains were found), the best defense would be to plead guilty and avoid certain death by lethal injection. That would be the only hope ICA has...to plead guilty and save taxpayers the cost of this trial, to plead guilty to save the gory details of Caylee's last moments alive..

IF ICA couldn't take the little scenario JA put on for his support of the DP charge, she won't make it through trial, IMO...she will come apart at the seams...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

I think when we say plea deal at this point we are all talking about her offering to change her plea for a lighter sentence or lwop. If KC should choose that path would she be able at a later date bring in her circumstances at home to request a change in sentencing to parole after serving so many years???

I think when we say plea deal at this point we are all talking about her offering to change her plea for a lighter sentence or lwop. If KC should choose that path would she be able at a later date bring in her circumstances at home to request a change in sentencing to parole after serving so many years???

That would be the only option ICA has, at this point...

If the defense could get the SAO's to accept a guilty plea in lieu of LWOP, they should consider it a gift, IMO...for, once a jury comes in her chances of being sentenced to death is huge....she should strongly consider that aspect and understand people will see through the BS, they will wonder why a mother doesn't report her child either kidnapped or not returned, depends on which story they buy...while the entire 30 days, ICA partied hearty, allegedly under the guise of doing her own investigation, which she admitted was stupid...it doesn't look good for ICA...If I were her defense, I would strongly advice my client to look out for herself and take that guilty plea...JMHO

Justice for Caylee will be sweet.....

Justice for Caylee

and here was me thinking that the body was there in August when RK called and the police were too scared to
go looking

http://blog.richardhornsby.com/
Richard Hornsby says:
December 30, 2009 at 12:26 pm
"I do think she will plead at the last minute, a trial would be suicide and only make things worse.
I need a break, maybe in a week or so."

At this stage in the game, and I do believe to ICA that this is all just some morbid game of "Who will break first?", it is too late to change her plea to guilty. I don't think she will ever admit to murdering poor little Caylee. I think she would rather sit on death row and have CA thinking that she was wrongly convicted than admit what she did and have CA know that she is a monster. ICA doesn't care what the world thinks, but she does care, a tiny smidgeon, about what CA is thinking. Like she told YM, she knew what her mom's reaction would be and that she would never forgive her. She will get either the DP or LWOP and she will sit behind bars and watch CA continue to travel that path she has chosen, trying to convince everyone and anyone that there REALLY is a nanny name Zenaida who stole Caylee and that ICA is a pawn in the evil LE's plan to ruin her life. JMO

The only way I would be happy with a plea deal at this stage of the game is if Casey had to be strapped to a lie detector machine, given truth serum and was made to tell the 100% truth about what happened to Caylee. We know who. I want to know where, why and how!! I want the truth! I want Justice for Caylee!

http://blog.richardhornsby.com/
Richard Hornsby says:
December 30, 2009 at 12:26 pm
"I do think she will plead at the last minute, a trial would be suicide and only make things worse.
I need a break, maybe in a week or so."

I agree with Richard Hornsby ~ She'll let this go right up til the time that the jury is "this close" to walking back into the courtroom, and then scramble to plea.

They have nothing to loose by letting it go to trial and see how things go though out it.
If it looks bad, then, she can offer to plea at any time during the trial, and, right up to the time that the jury is ready to come back in with an answer.

If they get lucky, and things don't look so terrible, then, go ahead and sit it out anyway.

But, at the same time, the State doesn't have to accept any plea either, and, they may just be angry enough once they've laid their cards out on the table, spent the State of Florida's hard earned money, that they are willing to roll the dice also with the reply of the jury ~

The defense will have someone sitting in the sidelines studing the jury the entire time, IMO.

I think a plea is the only way Casey will be able to keep her "life". If Mason is as smart as he is supposed to be he will try to run up the bill to the point that public/political pressure will force the plea from prosecutors. I think she deserves the needle.

I think a plea is the only way Casey will be able to keep her "life". If Mason is as smart as he is supposed to be he will try to run up the bill to the point that public/political pressure will force the plea from prosecutors. I think she deserves the needle.

Completely Off Topic, but, I just have to tell ya Flashlight, that everytime I scroll and catch a glimpse of your avator with that jumping elephant, I instantly think that I've got an ant or bug crawling on my screen ~!!
A couple of times I've whacked it ~ LOL ~

Carry on - LOL ~

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placebo