Is there anyone that believes Ross is innocent?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had five children and could smell a wet/dirty diaper as they ran past me, so I would imagine that I'd smell one that has sat in a car baking all day long, too.

However, imo there's no point arguing about whether or not he smelled anything because he already knew the child was in there. I cannot fathom forgetting a child that you just had breakfast with, placed into a car seat, and drove mere minutes with before exiting the vehicle. I just don't believe it is possible. I don't believe the child was silent for the entire ride either. It wasn't a ten minute car ride, it wasn't out of his normal routine.

If I were a juror, his best defense would be proven short term memory loss.

I've had five children and could smell a wet/dirty diaper as they ran past me, so I would imagine that I'd smell one that has sat in a car baking all day long, too.

However, imo there's no point arguing about whether or not he smelled anything because he already knew the child was in there. I cannot fathom forgetting a child that you just had breakfast with, placed into a car seat, and drove mere minutes with before exiting the vehicle. I just don't believe it is possible. I don't believe the child was silent for the entire ride either. It wasn't a ten minute car ride, it wasn't out of his normal routine.

BBM.

Also, kids - even little ones who can't speak yet - are usually chatty, alert, in energetic spirits after they have eaten breakfast. I don't think he was silent either.

And, if the car seat straps were as tight as I recall being discussed, he might have been fussing about them. I'm sure Cooper was awake during the very short drive, and possibly cried out when his daddy got out of the car, shut the door, and walked away.

JMOPINION

Ross Harris left his son in a hot car all day and that resulted in the child's death. That alone means he is not innocent.

In the off chance this was not intentional, his negligence killed the baby. I do not know if he will be convicted of intentionally harming his son, or if charging him with something along those lines is appropriate or not. I do know that he, as all parents, grandparents, foster parents or other caregivers whose action or inaction results in a death needs to be held accountable. There is no excuse for this type of death. I don't care how busy someone is, or how many other things they may have on their mind, calling this type of death a tragic mistake is in itself a tragic mistake, imo, because it sends a message out to the masses that this is OK, that it is forgivable. People need to become responsible when they have children, or babysit for children, etc. I think that excusing these hot car deaths is akin to saying that young lives do not matter. That a parent didn't mean to do it doesn't make the child any less dead.

IMO.

Same with me. Most times I could smell the odor of a dirty diaper soiled with feces. My ability to smell a soiled diaper doesn't apply here. According to the Podcast, feces was not listed in the autopsy report. For me, wet diapers were a little different. Most times I would need to feel the diaper to determine if it was wet. I was unable to smell it. I suppose this proves how different people can be. Perhaps my sense of smell isn't as strong as your sense of smell.

I think the issue about the odor is very important in this case. I agree there had to be an odor in the car. It would be impossible for a human being to be shut up in a car, for that length of time, in that heat, without emitting any odor at all. The problem I have, is the use of the words, overpowering and extremely strong odor. The two experts in the Podcast were not the only experts that stated there would not be a strong odor. Dr. Cyril Wecht also stated the odor would not be extremely pungent (per his interview on True Crime radio -- 5:27 mark.) The body had not reached the stage of decomposition required to emit an overpowering, extremely strong odor. To me, it is not possible for a body to reach this stage of decomp. in 5-hrs. IMO

Should RH have noticed the odor when he opened the door and sat down in the car? There are factors that could play into this.

Detective Stoddard and witnesses did notice a smell. Bear in mind, all knew about the death and expected an odor.

IMO

Same with me. Most times I could smell the odor of a dirty diaper soiled with feces. My ability to smell a soiled diaper doesn't apply here. According to the Podcast, feces was not listed in the autopsy report. For me, wet diapers were a little different. Most times I would need to feel the diaper to determine if it was wet. I was unable to smell it. I suppose this proves how different people can be. Perhaps my sense of smell isn't as strong as your sense of smell.

I think the issue about the odor is very important in this case. I agree there had to be an odor in the car. It would be impossible for a human being to be shut up in a car, for that length of time, in that heat, without emitting any odor at all. The problem I have, is the use of the words, overpowering and extremely strong odor. The two experts in the Podcast were not the only experts that stated there would not be a strong odor. Dr. Cyril Wecht also stated the odor would not be extremely pungent (per his interview on True Crime radio -- 5:27 mark.) The body had not reached the stage of decomposition required to emit an overpowering, extremely strong odor. To me, it is not possible for a body to reach this stage of decomp. in 5-hrs. IMO

Should RH have noticed the odor when he opened the door and sat down in the car? There are factors that could play into this.

Detective Stoddard and witnesses did notice a smell. Bear in mind, all knew about the death and expected an odor.

IMO

Completely agree that everyone's s name of smell is different. I just remember watching the news reports from when this happened and hearing the witnesses at the scene talking about the smell. Who knows, maybe they were just nasty smelly people and that's what witnesses reported smelling.

But having seen a re-enactment of the oh-so-very brief drive from chic fil a to his office, I stand by my "smell doesn't matter because he already knew that baby was in there because no way did he forget him that quickly" theory. Just my opinion...which doesn't really matter since I'm not a potential juror in Georgia. :peace:

Completely agree that everyone's s name of smell is different. I just remember watching the news reports from when this happened and hearing the witnesses at the scene talking about the smell. Who knows, maybe they were just nasty smelly people and that's what witnesses reported smelling.

But having seen a re-enactment of the oh-so-very brief drive from chic fil a to his office, I stand by my "smell doesn't matter because he already knew that baby was in there because no way did he forget him that quickly" theory. Just my opinion...which doesn't really matter since I'm not a potential juror in Georgia. :peace:

I have a hard time believing a parent can unintentionally leave their child in a vehicle period. My children were always foremost on my mind. There is no way I could ever forget and leave my child in a car. No way could I forget about my child in a couple of minutes. Case history and expert opinion tell me I'm wrong. It does happen. A parent can get distracted by a song on the radio or their phone ringing. Anything that might divert their attention in another direction.

My opinion doesn't really matter either. I'm still interested in discussing the case.:)

However, imo there's no point arguing about whether or not he smelled anything because he already knew the child was in there. I cannot fathom forgetting a child that you just had breakfast with, placed into a car seat, and drove mere minutes with before exiting the vehicle. I just don't believe it is possible. I don't believe the child was silent for the entire ride either. It wasn't a ten minute car ride, it wasn't out of his normal routine

BBM:

:goodpost:
Wham-bam-thank-you-Threeplus1.

Thank you for trying to comprehend a poor memory. I have my personal data to support me being a responsible person (30 yr career, a nice fiscal portfolio, real estate paid for, family,friends, etc) that would testify to my ongoing daily habits of living with poor memory. Others state there is no way a parent could forget. I can 100% state there is a way. It's sort of like I am being a called a liar. Not all people memory skills are equal. Poor memory has forced me to alter my career/relationships/reminders daily. Parents w poor memories would parent in a different way than a parent with a great memory. And please put no time on how long it would take to forget a child in a back seat. All it takes is 1 second. I don't like this dad one bit. His sexting and his Google searches on his computer (s) show he isn't an easy person for anyone to like. I will await the evidence and render an opinion at that point. I believe this dad to be guilty of something. I am not knowledgeable enough of Ga. laws to determine guilty of what but I am sure this jury will hear much evidence and potential sentencing charges. I just hope the jury keeps eyes wide open. I surf different cases on WS with different types of people following and commenting with as much unbias as possible. The Ross case seems to have more than average emotionally charged parents believing their own attributes and styles of parenting are the only way and any other way to be wrong. Sort of sounds like some religions I have heard about.

I have a hard time believing a parent can unintentionally leave their child in a vehicle period. My children were always foremost on my mind. There is no way I could ever forget and leave my child in a car. No way could I forget about my child in a couple of minutes. Case history and expert opinion tell me I'm wrong. It does happen. A parent can get distracted by a song on the radio or their phone ringing. Anything that might divert their attention in another direction.

My opinion doesn't really matter either. I'm still interested in discussing the case.:)

So agree! I can't fathom how anyone could harm any child, much less their own.

And I have forgotten what I walked into a room for, what I was going to say, etc...but that is usually because one of the kids distracted me! :floorlaugh: They are always in the forefront of my mind to the detriment of everything else. But then again, I've never sexted anyone (much less an underage person) or dreamed of a child-free life (wanted children desperately for years, but cancer and infertility got in the way for a long time). So it's hard to put myself in his shoes for lots of reasons.

I really appreciate the recent posts about smells and forgetfulness - I like discussions that are thoughtful and make me question my own opinions. Great group, here on this thread.

(And, yes, this case does get to people's emotions. That's not uncommon with cases about kids. Totally understandable.)

I'm curious how the evidence will be presented by both sides and how the jury will respond. I don't normally follow cases once they get to the court system, but this is definitely a case I want to follow through to the verdict.

And tomorrow it begins....

And tomorrow it begins....

I sort of doubt we will learn or hear much for a couple of weeks. Voir Dire starts tomorrow with actual testimony scheduled for 4-25-16.
attachment.php

Attachments

• i am waiting.gif
    i am waiting.gif
    327.5 KB · Views: 152
I sort of doubt we will learn or hear much for a couple of weeks. Voir Dire starts tomorrow with actual testimony scheduled for 4-25-16.
attachment.php

Is this selection going to be shown via live stream?

Also what exactly are the charges? Are they going for first degree murder? If so based on this thread alone wonder if that is wise? Of course we will see the evidence but this is one case I want to see them win ...he would not want me on the jury but I think there is something less to charge this ignorant guy of and be sure to get a conviction. I assume they are not going for DP or are they?

Is this selection going to be shown via live stream?

Also what exactly are the charges? Are they going for first degree murder? If so based on this thread alone wonder if that is wise? Of course we will see the evidence but this is one case I want to see them win ...he would not want me on the jury but I think there is something less to charge this ignorant guy of and be sure to get a conviction. I assume they are not going for DP or are they?

It is confirmed WAT (but a local channel may stream) will NOT stream voir dire but has been confirmed WAT will stream starting 4-25-16. I don't even actually know the charges. I dont know if they are pursuing DP. I hope they present the security videos that have been mentioned. In reading how maybe when parking at his office maybe he made strategic moves to have his car parked in particular direction or particular location. If he premeditated his child left in hot car I could see him sexting numerous women as an alibi as an excuse of being distracted. Hopefully his texting records of his normal activity will be revealed.

It is confirmed WAT (but a local channel may stream) will NOT stream voir dire but has been confirmed WAT will stream starting 4-25-16. I don't even actually know the charges. I dont know if they are pursuing DP. I hope they present the security videos that have been mentioned. In reading how maybe when parking at his office maybe he made strategic moves to have his car parked in particular direction or particular location. If he premeditated his child left in hot car I could see him sexting numerous women as an alibi as an excuse of being distracted. Hopefully his texting records of his normal activity will be revealed.

that could take a while to get jury that has not heard about this and can be fair....as for the sexting...this guy does not present like he could make any strategic moves at all except to further his own pleasure. His attorneys will have to work hard to get past the creep factor and it will take more than a preppy vest which I saw him wearing for a hearing. Wonder what role the now ex wife will play in this...are they using her and have decided to pursue against her...that is what I know so far.

Should be a very interesting trial. The divorce may or may not be a strategic defense maneuver. I don't know enough just yet to have an opinion if the wife was involved but thus far I don't think she was involved in any way. I don't want to think the dad so badly wanted to be single and fatherless that he killed his son. The facts thus far sure don't look good for his defense. I have read some opinion where maybe he lunched w friends and purchased light bulbs and maybe that was when he had planned to find the body. I just find it difficult to believe he would involve 2 good friends in his scheme. I don't want to sound perverted in the sense that I look forward to testimony in a child's death but hey, there is going to be a trial and testimony presented and I intend to watch as much of it as I can.

Maybe we should now concentrate our conversations on the thread specifically about the trial. See you there.

I don't know that I believe he's innocent but I've had questions from day one. I'll agree with the jury I think on this one, whatever they decide.

Maybe we should now concentrate our conversations on the thread specifically about the trial. See you there.

Please post the current trial thread if you can. I followed the case early on but then there were 100's of threads and I gave up.

I'm not convinced he killed Cooper on purpose. At first, I was really sad for him, and believed him to be the dear husband and daddy he seemed to be, until all that sexting bizarreness came to light. I don't know what to think of him, except yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member