Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is very important. The videos are abundant and very telling.

It is a scary sign of the times that a mob formed upon hearing that a plane from Tel Aviv had landed and may have Jews onboard. That was enough to spur hundreds of locals to mob the tarmac, urgently searching for any Jews they could find.

Some in the crowd threatened they were going to Lynch them if they find them. There is audio in the videos.

When airport security forced them out of the airport they took to the streets and began searching cars and buses leaving the airport. They overturned one car that wouldn't hand over their passports.

I am not dwelling on it but I am sharing the info because it is a very bad sign of where things are right now. It is shocking, IMO.
There is a huge correlation between conspiracy theories and anti-Semitism. conspiracy theory | #TranslateHate

Here are the details and one of their conspiracy theories that was part of it. Russia Says Downed 36 Ukrainian Drones Over Black Sea and Crimea - The Moscow Times

But this event isn't just anti-Semitism. It's also old out of control, dangerous, violent rioting. This has happened in the US recently, if you haven't noticed. <modsnip: If you can't discuss it, don't mention it.>

Last edited by a moderator:
A mob in Dagestan tried to find and lynch Jews at the airport.

Here is what they did find: six Muslim kids from Dagestan who came back from life-saving cancer treatment in Israel.

They want to take life. We want to give life
israel.gif

I'm so sorry Arkay. The historical events you shared are truely crimes against humanity. I will NEVER understand the hate that lives in some human beings. Shameful, discutsting hate!
I honestly (nievely) thought we were begining to move past it. But it's still here.
When (if ever) will humans evolve enough to leave it behind? I'm afraid I know the answer to that and it breaks my heart.

Israel-Hamas war live updates: Thousands break into Gaza aid warehouse (nbcnews.com)
4m ago / 9:07 PM PDT

Hostage negotiations stall over Hamas demand for fuel deliveries to Gaza​

Talks to free some of the hostages held by militant group Hamas stalled over Israel's unwillingness to send fuel to Gaza, its base, and Hamas' objection to guaranteeing it would release a large number of foreign captives.

This according to a former U.S. official with knowledge of the ongoing negotiations over the release of some of the estimated 230 hostages believed to have been kidnapped by militants during Hamas' Oct. 7 incursion into Israel from Gaza.

“Hamas has been insistent on receiving fuel,” said the former U.S. official, who asked not to be named because they were not authorized to talk publicly. “The Israel and U.S. side, plus other countries, want a large batch of their citizens released.”

Read the full story here.
In some ways, that is good news. That means that Hamas is using their reserves - which may amount to 500,000 litres of fuel. They are most likely trying to sustain a level of reserves. If they deplete their reserves, people may not be able to drive their cars to hospital with war victims during a wifi blackout.

I do not think any fuel should be released to the Hamas Gaza Government, or the UN in Gaza, or the International Red Cross.

There's a sense of "crying wolf" with urgent humanitarian aide in Gaza Strip. Ten days after Hamas announced they would run out of fuel in 24 hours they have not run out of fuel.

The hospital in Gaza City has allegedly been hit three times now, but it might be Hamas missiles falling onto parking lots near the hospital. Now people in the hospital are pretending that advice to evacuate is something unexpected - even though they were told for 3 weeks to evacuate.

Hamas terrorists positioned under the largest hospital in Gaza City don't know what they did with 8 Russian citizen hostage. Are they organized, tech savvy militants, or bumbling buffoons who lost the hostages?

Susan Schwartz • Montreal Gazette
Published Oct 29, 2023
1698644618879.png
''More than 1,000 people gathered in Victoria Square Sunday to call for the release of the 229 hostages abducted from Israel by Hamas on Oct. 7 and being held captive in Gaza. The hostages, who include more than two dozen children and toddlers and 18 people over age 75 and represent more than 40 nationalities, were kidnapped during the Oct. 7 terror attacks by Hamas into Israel that left more than 1,400 dead in a savage massacre. Hamas has long been considered a terrorist organization by Canada and the United States, among others.''

Susan Schwartz • Montreal Gazette
Published Oct 29, 2023
View attachment 456893
''More than 1,000 people gathered in Victoria Square Sunday to call for the release of the 229 hostages abducted from Israel by Hamas on Oct. 7 and being held captive in Gaza. The hostages, who include more than two dozen children and toddlers and 18 people over age 75 and represent more than 40 nationalities, were kidnapped during the Oct. 7 terror attacks by Hamas into Israel that left more than 1,400 dead in a savage massacre. Hamas has long been considered a terrorist organization by Canada and the United States, among others.''

I was looking into the Palestinian prisoner thing. Apparently there is some validity because many have been held without charges or are serving lengthy sentences for minor crimes.

Unless they are Israeli citizens, they are sent to military prison. (Kinda like Gitmo. A prisoner for non-citizens, with limited rights) So, I think these families may have a point. I don't think 6,000 should be released, however I was surprised to find that there some human rights issues. Now will Hamas go along with this? WIll Israel go through every case? I have absolutely no idea. Just food for thought.

In the US, this would be a total "hard no", but in other parts of the world it's different.

I also follow an occasional case in India. They also do things quite differently. Appeals, (successful appeals are very common.) work release for several months, then back in. It's quite interesting...

Even Mexico does. (They let women raise entire families of kids in prison)

Anyway, cultural differences, so maybe I shouldn't judge by US standards.

I was looking into the Palestinian prisoner thing. Apparently there is some validity because many have been held without charges or are serving lengthy sentences for minor crimes.

Unless they are Israeli citizens, they are sent to military prison. (Kinda like Gitmo. A prisoner for non-citizens, with limited rights) So, I think these families may have a point. I don't think 6,000 should be released, however I was surprised to find that there some human rights issues. Now will Hamas go along with this? WIll Israel go through every case? I have absolutely no idea. Just food for thought.

In the US, this would be a total "hard no", but in other parts of the world it's different.

I also follow an occasional case in India. They also do things quite differently. Appeals, (successful appeals are very common.) work release for several months, then back in. It's quite interesting...

Even Mexico does. (They let women raise entire families of kids in prison)

Anyway, cultural differences, so maybe I shouldn't judge by US standards.

I would be open to them releasing many of the non-violent prisoners. If there are a lot of women or young people for non-violent crimes, trade them for hostages to deescalate some tension.

But certainly not 6000 to 8000 should be released. JMO

Summary​

(7.05am GMT)
  • The Israeli Air Force says it has struck 600 targets in the last day, as the IDF expands its assault on Gaza. Among the targets was somewhere “in the area” of Al-Azhar university, from where it said an anti-tank missile was about to be launched
  • Israeli forces also struck targets in Syria and Lebanon, in response to launches from those areas into Israel, the country’s defence force has said. In separate tweets, the IDF said an aircraft had attacked Hezbollah targets in Lebanese territory, including “infrastructures for directing terrorism and military infrastructures of the organisation”, and that a fighter jet had attacked launchers in Syrian territory.
  • There have been further reports of another raid by Israeli forces on the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank, with at least two Palestinians believed to have been killed
  • Another 33 aid trucks were allowed to pass into Gaza from Egypt on Sunday, according to a spokesperson at the Rafah crossing. It is the largest number of aid trucks to cross in a day since the conflict began, but humanitarian workers have told the Associated Press that the assistance still falls desperately short of what’s needed
  • International criminal court prosecutor Karim Khan said the ICC had “active investigations ongoing” into alleged war crimes in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank. The prosecutor added: “There should not be any impediment to humanitarian relief supplies going to … civilians.”
  • Local health authorities said about 20 people were injured, including two critically, after crowds stormed an airport in Dagestan, in search of Jewish passengers from Israel. Authorities said 60 people had been arrested.
  • Jordan has asked the US to deploy Patriot air defence systems to bolster its border defence amid increased regional tensions, Reuters reports a Jordanian army spokesperson saying on Sunday. “We asked the American side to help bolster our defence system with Patriot air defence missile systems,” Brig Gen Mustafa Hiyari, Jordan’s army spokesperson, told state television.
  • Israel has summoned the Russian ambassador to lodge a protest at Moscow’s hosting last week of a delegation from Hamas following its 7 October attacks against Israel. Inviting Hamas “sends a message legitimising terrorism against Israelis”, Israel’s foreign ministry said in a statement, quoting its senior staff as telling ambassador Anatoly Viktorov, Reuters reports.
  • Joe Biden spoke by phone with Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday morning, the White House said. “The president reiterated that Israel has every right and responsibility to defend its citizens from terrorism and underscored the need to do so in a manner consistent with international humanitarian law that prioritizes the protection of civilians,” the White House said in a press statement.
  • Joe Biden also spoke with the Egyptian president, Abdel Fatah al-Sisi, the White House said. “President Biden and President Sisi affirmed their commitment to work together to set the conditions for a durable and sustainable peace in the Middle East to include the establishment of a Palestinian state,” it said.
  • Thousands of Gaza residents broke into UN warehouses on Sunday, grabbing flour and other essential items in a sign they had reached “breaking point”, said the United Nations Palestinian refugee agency (UNRWA), Reuters reports. “This is a worrying sign that civil order is starting to break down after three weeks of war and a tight siege on Gaza,” UNRWA said in a statement.
  • “We are going to move a standalone Israeli funding bill,” the US’s new House speaker, Mike Johnson, said in an interview on Fox News. In a response to a question on separating Israeli aid from Ukrainian aid, Johnson said: “Our Republican colleagues in the Senate have a similar measure. We believe that that is a pressing and urgent need.”
  • Médecins Sans Frontières has sent 26 tons of medical supplies on a World Health Organization plane to Egypt. “The medical supplies can cover the needs for 800 surgical interventions and are destined for healthcare facilities in Gaza in collaboration with the local health authorities,” MSF said.
  • The number of children killed in Gaza in last three weeks surpassed annual number of children killed in war zones since 2019, Save the Children said on Sunday. “With a further 1,000 children reported missing in Gaza assumed buried under the rubble, the death toll is likely much higher,” it added.
  • Faculty from New York City’s Columbia University and Barnard College have signed an open letter in support of their students expressing solidarity with Palestine, noting that such expressions of solidarity and the historical contextualisation of the ongoing war is not antisemitic. “One could regard the events of October 7th as just one salvo in an ongoing war between an occupying state and the people it occupies, or as an occupied people exercising a right to resist violent and illegal occupation,” the letter said.

Australia’s foreign affairs minister, Penny Wong, has urged Israel to “listen” when its friends ask it to protect innocent lives in Gaza and warned that the world “will not accept continuing civilian deaths”.

Wong’s comments reflect a strengthening of the Labor government’s calls for Israel to minimise civilian deaths in Gaza. The foreign minister said civilians on both sides had been “murdered” in the “dreadful, tragic conflict”.

“It is a dreadful, tragic conflict. We are seeing loss of life. We are seeing civilians on both sides [who] have been murdered,” Wong told Radio National.
“We have seen civilians up on both sides in a lot of pain, and obviously, we still have Israeli hostages who have been taken, that Hamas is still holding.”
“When Israel’s friends urge Israel to protect civilian life, as we have, it is critical that Israel listens.”

Her comments followed a letter signed by six former Australian prime ministers, expressing solidarity with both the Jewish and Palestinian communities and suggesting that terrorists would win “if our hearts are filled with hatred”.

Australia was among 45 countries – including the UK, Germany, India and Canada – that abstained from voting on a UN general assembly motion calling for an immediate humanitarian truce. Australia argued the motion was “incomplete” because it did not directly condemn Hamas for the 7 October attacks.

Israel says it has attacked 600 targets in a day​

The Israeli Air Force says it has attacked about 600 targets in the last day, including “in the area of Al-Azhar university” from where it said an anti-tank missile was about to be launched. It also said “weapons warehouses, hiding places and gatherings of Hamas operatives and anti-tank positions” were targeted.

The Al-Azhar university is a public university near the Gaza City centre.

In the last few hours there have been further reports of another raid by Israeli forces on the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank, with at least two Palestinians believed to have been killed. Available details are limited, and at times conflicted.

The director of Jenin governmental hospital, Wissam Bakr, released the names of two men allegedly shot and killed by Israeli forces, Al Jazeera reported.

The Jerusalem Post also appeared to confirm clashes, reporting that “the IDF and Palestinian terrorists exchanged fire overnight in the Jenin refugee camp”.

An Al Jazeera correspondent reported that families in a residential building in Jenin had been forced to evacuate their homes by Israeli forces, and that electricity had been cut off.

Palestinian media, WAFA, said about 100 military vehicles and at least one bulldozer had entered the city, and an Israeli drone had carried out an air strike.

The IDF has not commented on Jenin operations.

Sixty people were detained after hundreds of anti-Israel protesters stormed an airport in Russia’s predominantly Muslim Dagestan region on Sunday, the RIA news agency reported on Monday.

RIA said the identity of 150 of what it called the most active protesters had been identified. It said nine police officers had received injuries in the incident, two of whom were being treated in hospital.

The protesters stormed the airport on Sunday, where a plane from Israel had just arrived, forcing security forces to close the airport and remove the demonstrators.

Syrian state TV said on Monday that Israeli air strikes targeted two army posts in Daraa, Reuters has reported.

The raids led to “some material losses”, according to Syrian media.

The Guardian has not independently verified the report, and it wasn’t immediately clear if the reports referred to the same strikes which the Israeli Defence Forces said they had conducted earlier today.

Palestinians in northern Gaza are reporting an uptick in air and artillery strikes in the early hours of Monday morning, according to Reuters.

Israeli airstrikes hit areas near Gaza City’s Shifa and Al-Quds hospitals, and Palestinian militants clashed with Israeli forces in a border area east of the city of Khan Younis, in the enclave’s south, the news agency reported, citing Palestinian media.

Reuters notes that there was no comment from Hamas or the Israeli military on the fighting on Monday and the agency was not able to confirm the reports.

However, the reports come hours after Israel released images of battle tanks on Gaza’s western coast, signalling a potential effort to surround Gaza’s main city two days after the Israeli government ordered expanded ground incursions across its eastern border.

Israel’s self-declared “second phase” of its three-week war against Hamas militants has largely been kept from public view, with forces moving under darkness and a telecommunications blackout cutting off Palestinians in Gaza.

The phone and internet cuts appeared to ease on Sunday, but telecoms provider Paltel said that Israeli airstrikes again had knocked out internet and phone service in parts of the enclave’s northern sections, where Hamas has command centres. The outages have severely hampered rescue operations for casualties of Israeli barrages.

UN says hundreds of patients stuck in Gaza hospitals and can't be moved​

a9ccd91a-c102-4f65-89bb-a6cfe424cdf3.jpg
Copyright: Reuters

The Palestinian Red Crescent shared this photo which it says is from the Al-Quds hospital in the north, where people are sheltering.

Hundreds of patients are stuck in hospitals in the north of Gaza and are physically unable to move south, the head of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees in the territory has said.

Tom White from UNRWA echoed what doctors and other charities have said - that it's impossible to move patients from hospitals like Al-Quds in northern Gaza.

The Palestinian Red Crescent says Israel told them to evacuate the hospital on Sunday while strikes continue nearby.

"Many people in the north are seeking shelter in UNRWA schools, they're seeking shelter in hospitals," said White. "I was up and one of the hospitals this week and there are hundreds and hundreds of patients that can't be moved."

He said many people in the north - not just patients - also "can't move because they physically don't have the transportation, they don't have the means".

People are "very hungry, very thirsty and very scared", and many are living off pieces of bread and "when we can [we're] getting them canned food".

Palestine Red Crescent says Israeli strikes continue near Al-Quds hospital​

A short while ago the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) posted a video on social media, which appears to show people gathered outside Al Quds hospital in Gaza City, as loud explosions are heard in the background.

"Now, continues Israeli air strikes in the Tal Al-Hawa area... where Al-Quds Hospital is located" says the PRCS.

The area around the hospital was hit on Sunday by Israeli air strikes, according to people in the area.

Al Shifa doctor says more than 55,000 displaced people at hospital​

ac6005da-86fb-4c74-badb-126816590345.jpg
Copyright: Reuters
Wounded Palestinians brought to Shifa hospital in Gaza

We've been bringing you reports of heavy shelling around the Al-Quds hospital in Gaza City. The Israeli military issued an evacuation order on Sunday but medical staff say moving the hundreds of patients being treated there is impossible.

There is also concern for patients and staff at another hospital in Gaza City - Al Shifa - where the situation has been described as "catastrophic" by its head of surgery.

Some 55,000 internally displaced people (IDPs) are now "occupying each square metre" of Al Shifa hospital, Dr Marwan Abusada said in a voice note to the BBC, recorded on Sunday afternoon.

Abusada said the hospital was "overwhelmed" and patients were "invading" its corridors as more arrived.

About 100 patients were moved to other hospitals over the weekend, he said. "But still we are receiving many, many, many cases. Each half an hour, we receive a huge number of injured people."

A shortage of everything from anaesthetics to painkillers and antibiotics is making the situation "very difficult", he added. "We cannot do more."

Israel's military has said Hamas's main base of operations is beneath Al Shifa. Hamas rejects that claim and some of the doctors working there have called for the hospital to be protected.

On Sunday, the Associated Press reported that Israeli warplanes had carried out strikes overnight near the hospital, citing Gaza City residents. On Saturday, people in the area told the BBC's Rushdi Abualouf in Gaza that nearby roads had been struck.

UN says children drinking salty water in Gaza​

1d24a83c-c93c-4736-81e1-a92685407ee1.jpg
Copyright: EPA
Collecting water in Khan Yunis on Sunday

Children are facing a "catastrophic" situation in Gaza, with parents left with no choice but to give them salty water, according to the UN chidren's aid agency Unicef.

Toby Fricker, a spokesperson for the body, told BBC News the shortages that existed in Gaza even before the current conflict had been "raised to another level".

“One of our staff members, she has a four-year-old, a seven-year-old, and she’s just trying to keep girls safe, to keep them alive on an everyday basis," he said.

“She spoke about how they’re just drinking salty water, and her daughter’s saying, ‘Mum, why can’t I have the normal water back we used to have in regular days?’

Asked about the aid supplies that have now been able to enter Gaza, Fricker said: “There have been supplies in, but it’s extremely minimal.

“When you see the immense needs on the ground that we have, there needs to be many, many, many more."

Fricker called for an “immediate humanitarian ceasefire” and the scaling up of aid supplies into Gaza “on a sustained basis”.

“What we’re seeing now on an everyday basis is that children are being killed, children are being wounded, maimed,” he said.

“And that’s the number one thing - to protect children’s lives and to keep children alive.”

Traumatized Thai farmers recount horror of Hamas massacre as families wait for news of loved ones held hostage​

Udon Thani, Thailand CNN —

Touching the side of his neck gingerly, 30-year-old Withawat Kunwong reveals a jagged network of scars he received after being attacked at a poultry farm where he had been working in southern Israel.

(...)

After the violent struggle with his attacker, Kunwong was left for dead, heavily bleeding from the wound in his throat. He was eventually found and cared for by other migrant workers. He managed to survive, he believes, because the knife had been blunt and broken.

“He couldn’t finish the job,” he told CNN. “This injury still hurts but I feel the hurt inside more,” he added.

His story is a tragic illustration of the human toll of the ongoing war that has claimed thousands of lives in both Israel and Gaza and displaced more than a million people in the Hamas-controlled territory.

(...)

Among many of the foreign nationals killed and kidnapped are migrant laborers like Kunwong from Asian countries such as Thailand, Nepal and the Philippines – many who were working in Israel’s southern district near the Gaza strip, and unprotected, when Hamas militants came.

Thailand for decades, has been one of Israel’s biggest sources of migrant labor.

At least 32 Thais have been killed in the conflict to date, one of the highest death tolls for foreign nationals, according to figures released by the Thai government.

“No worker – Israeli or Thai – should be used as cannon fodder,” said Yahel Kurlander, an academic from Tel-Hai College in northern Israel who has been focusing her research on labor issues in Israel’s agriculture industry.

Working with aid groups on the ground, Kurlander said that while the majority of Thai workers left in Israel are “totally safe”, supporting their families back home remained a key priority. And they feel pressured on two sides.

“The Thai government is asking them to evacuate and leave Israel but there is also pressure is from the Israeli side, telling them: ‘We need you, stay, we’ll give you extra money for that,” Kurlander said, adding that they deserved compensation.

(...)

Like many Thai migrant laborers working in Israel, Kunwong is from Udon Thani, one of Thailand’s poorest provinces. Life there is a far cry from the air-conditioned malls and traffic clogged streets of Bangkok. Jobs are harder to come by and wages are much lower, leading many to seek employment thousands of miles from home.

Families told CNN that, despite the conflict in Israel, Thai migrant workers were under pressure to honor contracts specifying minimum five years of labor – a heavy price to pay to support their families back home.

Groups like Aid for Agricultural Workers (AAW), which support foreign migrants, have highlighted what they call “extreme challenges” experienced by many, saying it was still “business as usual” in Israel.

Zohar Shvartzberg of AAW said there were increasing reports of laborers who were pressured to return to their former workplaces in order to receive their wages for September, the month before the initial Hamas attack.

“We empathize with the distress caused to farmers and farming communities by the labor shortage but no person should be forced to be where they feel unsafe,” she said. Following announcements by Thailand’s embassy in Tel Aviv that rescue flights would operate daily, she added, there was now a “fear of increasing pressure on Thai workers to stay and work, including through unethical and illegal means.”

(...)

Shani Louk, 22, a German-Israeli woman who was believed to have been abducted to the Gaza Strip during Hamas’s October 7 onslaught was previously thought to be alive but in a critical condition.

Snip

On Monday, members of Louk’s family said they received a tragic letter from the Israeli Zaka rescue service saying that a bone from the base of her skull, without which a person cannot survive, had been recovered and identified.

“Unfortunately we received the news yesterday that my daughter is no longer alive,” Louk’s mother Ricarda told the German outlet RTL.

Louk's boyfriend, Mexican national Orión Hernández Radoux, is also believed to have been kidnapped by Hamas terrorists in the assault. Texts in Arabic were sent from his phone after the attack.

But her family said they had since received information from her bank that Shani's credit card had been used in Gaza.

Last edited:
"If you kill one Hamas fighter, a jihadist,
three new ones take his place:
cousins, brothers, and even sisters or wives.

It will be very difficult for Israel to eliminate Hamas
from the Gaza Strip.

Interview with an International affairs analyst, former ambassador in Afghanistan who performed military and diplomatic service in the Balkans, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan in 2004–2014.

Is Hamas already an army?
Hamas gained organizational, technical and military means to transform into an army. From terrorist means, such as suicide bombings on buses, they switched to a martial style.

On October 7, they fired about a thousand rockets within an hour - this first salvo was impressive. After crossing the Israeli border, Hamas fighters entered not only civilian kibbutzim, but also Israeli military bases and police stations.

They have shown that they can threaten the Israeli state, even temporarily.
For a moment, the terrorists turned into an army occupying hostile territory. Israel cannot allow this to happen again.

So these are no longer random militias, but Hamas is not a regular army either.
Hamas fighters do not have tanks or combat vehicles, but they are not primitive like the Taliban in Afghanistan, who ran around in slippers with 'kalakhs' on a string.

Footage from the October 7 attack shows that Hamas has modern equipment:
good American-made rifles and bulletproof vests.
It is clear that they have made good use of the arms trade market.

Maybe even equipment left in Afghanistan by the US Army that is now circulating around the world?

It is probably best to call Hamas
the 'army of the poor'.
What they lack in equipment, they make up for in organization, determination and excellent knowledge of the area.

For example, they have a famous network of underground tunnels.
It's actually a whole second underground city under Gaza.
But tunnels are not everything.
Hamas fighters also have bunkers, shelters and passages between houses. They are useful when Israel uses the so-called knocking on the roof.

That is?
Israeli pilots first hit the roof of a building believed to be Hamas' headquarters with a small-caliber rocket.
There was a warning explosion, after which people realized that a real bomb was about to be dropped here.
And only then was the building destroyed by the Israeli air force.
That is why Hamas has prepared evacuation channels, hiding places and passages in the walls for such an eventuality.

This rebel technology is about to collide with IDF tanks, armored vehicles and bulldozers.
Hamas will probably initially succumb to this Israeli power and be dispersed.

And later?
The question is how long this occupation of Gaza will last, how brutal it will be and how effective it will be.
Such an occupation must meet a number of conditions to bring results.

What are these conditions?
The basic one is having a partner among the occupied community.
If you do not have a partner on the ground in the form of any government, police or Shiite militias - as was the case in Iraq - the occupation will fail.

Does Israel have partners in the Gaza Strip?
No. It won't come to terms with Islamic Jihad.

Hamas certainly has its critics among Palestinians. Every government has.
There are many ordinary Palestinians who are humanly angry at the situation they have found themselves in because of Hamas' 15-year rule. But these 'angry' ones are not organized and are unable to challenge Hamas.

And the other Palestinian faction, Fatah ruling in the West Bank, is completely corrupt, disgraced and has no respect in Gaza.
Besides, no one will want to be a collaborator.

What will we see during the land operation - if any? Israeli soldiers running from house to house, looking for Hamas members? Exchanging fire with Palestinian fighters in urban combat?
I do not believe in a complete occupation of the Gaza Strip. I think we will see rather limited, one-off actions, destruction of buildings, blockades, check-points. Spectacular military operations will probably take place: we will see the destruction of what Hamas has built in Gaza: command points, weapons warehouses and firing positions, blowing up tunnels and bunkers with modern weapons designed for this purpose.

But I think that on CNN and other networks we will mainly see a humanitarian catastrophe and the suffering of the Palestinians. Let me be brutal: we will forget about the Israelis murdered in the first days of October and focus on the victims among the Palestinians.

Does this military action have a chance of success?
It's going to be hard.
First of all, Israel has no allies there.
Secondly: if you kill one fighter, a jihadist, three new ones take his place: cousins, brothers, and even sisters or wives, as we saw, for example, in Chechnya.
It will be the same here.

This conflict is reproduced from generation to generation.
Palestinian youth, seeing what is happening, will quickly become radicalized.
And everything will start again.
It's hard to talk about victory in this case.

Should Israel be afraid that in a moment it will be fighting on several fronts at the same time?
Definitely yes.
This conflict has the potential to spill over: there could be a Hezbollah attack from Lebanon.
Or another intifada (uprising) of angry Palestinians in the West Bank, who will not passively watch the tragedy of Gaza forever.
They are already becoming radicalized.
Even Iran may enter this game, which is of course unlikely, but the potential for escalation is high.

Judging by its brutal methods, Hamas has a lot in common with ISIS : murdering civilians, children, beheadings, murdering pregnant women?
However, these are different organizations.
Indeed, for a time in 2014-15, there were several Islamic State (ISIS) envoys in Gaza.
They tried to build such a branch there, a province called a wilayat.

But they were quickly killed because Hamas hates competition on its territory.

ISIS was an apocalyptic, revolutionary organization, creating a new entity, a new state structure.

However, Hamas won the 2007 elections in the Gaza Strip.
It then literally threw activists of the rival Fatah out of the window.
And later it ruled dictatorially. It was a humanitarian organization that over time became radicalized and became a terrorist organization.

But with all this, it became the de facto government of the Gaza Strip - it had police, courts and collected taxes.

How is it possible that Israel underestimated the strength of Hamas, given the eavesdropping and surveillance capabilities of the Israeli services?
Israel was convinced that Hamas was a mafia-like organization but that it was possible to live with it.

Israel had a problem with Hamas, but the Iron Dome worked and the Hamas rockets fired from time to time were knocked down.

The Jews built a wall around Gaza, they had surveillance, they relied on technology. There was a kind of ceasefire.
So Israel believed that nothing drastic would happen.

That's why Jews lived in border kibbutzim that looked like American suburbs:
nice houses, lawns.
They even organized youth concerts in this area.
Each house had the so-called safe room, a kind of shelter in case something might happen, but life took its course.

Hamas took advantage of the crisis of the Israeli government, protests against violations of the rule of law and the fact that IDF soldiers were mainly occupied with protecting Israeli settlers in the West Bank.
The government was weak, based on religious fundamentalists and ultranationalists who had no knowledge of the military and believed that the main threat was the West Bank.

There was also a lack of human intelligence , i.e. intelligence in the form of people, contacts, spies, and agents who would report what was happening in Hamas.

Cameras and detectors on the wall alone were not enough.
The method of collecting information, which involves personal contact between intelligence officers and personal sources, is irreplaceable.

Hamas has been preparing for this attack for a long time.
Who helped it financially?

Hamas is supported, like the Taliban in Afghanistan and ISIS, by the Muslim money transfer system.
This is the so-called humanitarian donations to charities or simply transferring money through trusted couriers.

What is this model about?
This or that private donor, a fabulously rich sheikh or emir, most often from the Persian Gulf countries, gives money supposedly for humanitarian aid for Gaza: for poor mothers with children.
But it's a cover.
The people of Gaza continue to live in poverty, and the money actually goes to Hamas for weapons and military actions.

In addition, Hamas collects taxes and tribute from the people of Gaza and operates in the cryptocurrency market: it is about subsidies in bitcoins.
Iran also helps Hamas generously.
Overall, it is a very rich organization.

How will Arab countries react to the conflict?
Arab states seem to have been tired of the Palestinian issue for at least a decade. Divisions among Palestinians, two governments in Gaza and the Palestinian Authority, corruption, refugees.

For some time, Arab states have been seeking to normalize relations with Israel. Hamas's activities did not suit them. For example, Saudi Arabia negotiated diplomatic agreements with Israel through American diplomacy.
Now, however, they must address the new situation created by the Hamas attack.

Former Saudi Arabian intelligence chief Prince Turki Al-Faisal has condemned Hamas attacks on civilians in Israel. But he equally condemned the indiscriminate bombing of innocent civilians in Gaza.

This shows that Arab countries will try to keep the so-called the Golden mean. The problem is that the Arab street has a completely different opinion, and sheikhs, emirs and royal families have to take them into account.

Americans supported Israel's announced attack on Gaza.
President Joe Biden hoped that Saudi Arabia's negotiations with Israel would be completed, which would be a great success for his foreign policy.
That didn't happen. Negotiations stalled due to the attack.

The United States is an indispensable ally of Israel, without which it is impossible to imagine managing the crisis in the Middle East.
Now the Americans have sent two aircraft carriers to this area, which is intended to discourage Iran from joining the war.
They must also think about those Hamas hostages who have American passports, as well as about their soldiers stationed in Syria and Iraq, who face an increased threat of attack by Shiite militias.

All in all, American diplomacy is the only one that Arab countries take into account. Only it still has control there. Russia once again embarrassed itself with its statements - Putin compared the "siege of Gaza" to the siege of Leningrad during World War II .
China does not have much importance in this region, it is just building diplomatic and economic influence.
The European Union, for its part, is divided over Israel and Palestine and is, as always, providing humanitarian aid to civilians in Gaza.

Once again, it turned out that America is indispensable to the situation in the Middle East when it comes to demonstrating military power. Which other power could afford to send two groups of aircraft carriers there quickly?

What role will the hostages kidnapped by Hamas, including children, play now?
This is a bargaining chip in negotiations.
Israel wants more than 220 of its citizens to return safely to the country.
There is a risk that they will be used as human shields. Hamas is slowly giving back these hostages: two people here, two there.

It buys time because it delays Israel's attack.
Hamas has the right to fear total destruction and is trying to protect itself in this way. These talks – conducted through Qatar – are only a way to postpone intervention.

This is a hopeless conflict with no alternative.
It simply happened that for political players from Hamas, military action became the first choice - instead of diplomacy or passive resistance.

Something we can all only despair about.

There is no wise person who would say that there is any diplomatic solution on the table right now.
The methods of resolving conflicts offered by the UN do not work.

Israel's action in Palestine will probably last several months.
What next: Israel withdraws? Will it occupy Gaza?
Will Gaza be put under the supervision of UN forces?

At the moment, the situation is hopeless and it is difficult to find a reasonable political solution.
After all, Israel will not annex these areas and absorb 2 million Palestinians, because it would be suicide - opening the borders to them.

Egypt doesn't want them.

So they will stay in Gaza, and Hamas, even militarily destroyed, will still remain an important socio-political force there.

There is no alternative to it.

Just as there is no alternative for Israel to defend itself by all means."

Last edited:
Israeli authorities told Shani’s family on Sunday night that she was dead, her cousin, Tom Weintraub Louk, told The Washington Post in WhatsApp messages Monday. Tom said Israeli authorities had matched a piece of Shani’s skull with her DNA. The bone fragment was found in Israel, Tom added.

“She was murdered by Hamas,” Tom said. “Her body is probably still in Gaza.”

Victims of the violence amid the Israel-Gaza war are being declared dead based on bone fragments and other remains found on both sides of the fence that humans cannot live without, Dr. Chen Kugel, director of Israel’s national center of forensic medicine, said.

Kremlin: 'outside influence' to blame for Dagestan mob, Putin to hold meeting on 'west's attempts to split Russian society'​

The Kremlin appears to be positioning itself to say that the mob that stormed a Dagestan airport in search of Jewish passengers from Israel on Sunday did so due to “outside influence”.

Reuters reports that in his daily call with reporters, the Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said “ill-wishers” had used widely seen images of suffering in Gaza to stir up people in the predominantly Muslim region in the north Caucasus.

Local health authorities said 20 people had been injured in the incident in Makhachkala, including two who were critical. The RIA news agency said nine police officers had received injuries. Sixty people were later detained, according to media reports.

Tass reports that following the events in Makhachkala, the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, will hold a meeting to “discuss western attempts to split Russian society”.

It quotes Peskov as saying: “Putin plans to hold a large representative meeting today at approximately 7pm Moscow time and discuss the west’s attempts to use events in the Middle East to split Russian society. A detailed conversation will take place.”

Peskov said the head of the intelligence services and the defence minister would attend.

South Africa calls for UN to deploy rapid protection force to protect civilians in Gaza​

South Africa on Monday called for the UN to deploy a rapid protection force to protect civilians in the Gaza Strip from further bombardment as Israel steps up its attacks.

“Entire generations of families have been wiped out in Gaza over the last three weeks,” the foreign ministry said in a statement. “The numbers of non-combatants killed, especially the numbers of children killed, requires that the world show that it is serious about global accountability,” it continued.

Reuters notes that in calling for a protection force, South Africa has gone further in its support for the Palestinians than most nations, some of which have called for a ceasefire, some of which have called for a “humanitarian pause” in hostilities.

The South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa, is among those who have previously offered to help mediate in the conflict. South Africa also said earlier this month that its foreign minister had held a call with the leader of Hamas about getting aid into Gaza, while underlining that it did not support the group.

Israel's noose around Gaza City begins to tighten​

b5b6b0c1-9cb2-4612-9d16-296c460e435f.jpg

Paul Adams
Diplomatic correspondent, in Jerusalem

The presence of an Israeli tank on the main north-south highway in the Gaza Strip is surely a sign that Israel’s noose around Gaza City is beginning to tighten.

The tank which fired on a car moving towards Gaza City marks the first appearance of Israeli forces on the road just north of Wadi Gaza.

The tank appears to have moved on, but Wadi Gaza is the line the IDF has repeatedly referred to when telling people living in the northern third of the Gaza Strip – including Gaza City and the surrounding areas – to move south.

It’s clear that as Israeli forces gradually escalate their operations, Gaza City will be a major focus of their efforts.

But with tens – perhaps hundreds – of thousands of people remaining in the north out of fear or determination – it seems the IDF could attempt to cut it off completely.

There are only two north-south roads. Salah-al-Din, where this morning’s incident took place, is the main route. A smaller road, along the coast, can be easily targeted by Israeli warships off the coast.

The area just north of Wadi Gaza is less populated than Gaza City to the north and Bureij and Nuseirat to the south. This would be a logical place for Israel to attempt to sever the Gaza Strip in two.

Key north-south Gaza road no longer blocked​

Our reporter in Gaza, Rushdi Abualouf, reports that the Salah-al-Din road is now open and no longer blocked.

Verified footage from earlier showed a tank on the road, at a location south of Gaza City.

Witnesses said the road was cut off near the Karni-Netzarim junction.

BBC in Gaza: 'Israeli forces focusing operations on north and Gaza City'​

Earlier we heard from our correspondent in Gaza, Rushdi Abualouf, who said there now appears to be fewer air strikes on the south of Gaza than before.

"We noticed since yesterday that there is less air strikes in this area, more aid coming from Egypt.

"So it seems that Israel wants to focus the operation in the north and Gaza City where now they have tanks from four different directions."

Tanks have been firing at vehicles on key road, Gaza resident tells AFP​

We've been reporting that an Israeli tank has been seen on a key road from the north to the south of the Gaza Strip.

Verified video shows a tank firing at a car travelling north on the Salah-al-Din road, just south of Gaza City.

The Israeli military has refused to reveal its positions.

Witnesses earlier told AFP news agency that tanks had entered the Zaytun district on the southern edges of Gaza City.

"They have cut the Salah-al-Din and are firing at any vehicle that tries to go along it," said one resident, who did not give his name. The BBC has not independently verified the claim.

The IDF said earlier it had hit 600 targets in the past 24 hours and dozens of Hamas fighters were killed in overnight clashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB