Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
12m ago (07:34 GMT)

Hundreds of Palestinian fighters killed, dozens captured: Israeli army

Daniel Hagari, the Israeli army spokesman, says hundreds of Palestinian fighters have been killed in fighting and dozens of others have been captured.

Hagari told reporters in Tel Aviv that the army was pressing on with its large-scale offensive against the Gaza Strip.

“We are targeting Hamas leaders,” he said.

Hagari added the army will utilise “its superiority in terms of firepower and we will disclose the results accordingly”.

The security forces “have harnessed all their capabilities and they will be put to maximum use in the coming hours,” he also said.

4m ago (07:44 GMT)

Israel’s power cuts add to ‘constant deterioration’ of Gaza conditions

Al Jazeera’s Youmna ElSayed says humanitarian conditions in the Gaza Strip are in “constant deterioration,” especially as the crisis compounds.

On Saturday night, Israeli Energy Minister Israel Katz said Israel would halt the electricity supply to the the besieged territory.

What used to be 120 megawatts of electricity has now decreased to only 20 megawatts provided by power plants that are paid for by the Palestinian Authority, ElSayed said.

“Since last night, we have only been witnessing four hours of electricity every 12 hours of no electricity,” explained ElSayed.

2m ago (07:48 GMT)

Funerals being held in the occupied West Bank

Reporting from Beitunia, in the occupied West Bank, Al Jazeera’s Nida Ibrahim says that the region is preparing to hold funerals for the Palestinians who died in the latest confrontation with Israel.

“We are at one out of the four or five funerals expected to take place today in the occupied West Bank,” she said, standing outside an 18-year old boy’s grandparent’s home.

“He is going to be brought here to his grand parents home before he is laid to rest. He and four others have been killed in the confrontation,” she added.

Ibrahim also said that many teenagers and Palestinians in their early twenties, had taken part in the latest fight against Israel.

Israel Gaza live updates: Israel trying to regain control of territory, day after Hamas attack - BBC News
Posted at 0:580:58

'They were going tree by tree and shooting' - Israeli festival goer

Gili Yoskovich was among hundreds of young people at a dance music festival in southern Israel, near the Gaza Strip, when militant gunmen opened fire in the early hours of Saturday morning.

She describes to the BBC how she hid under a tree in a field as gunmen roamed about, shooting anybody they saw.

"They were... all over the place with automatic weapons.

"I saw people were dying all around. I was very quiet. I didn't cry, I didn't do anything.

"I was... breathing, saying: 'OK, I'm going to die. It's OK, just breathe, just close your eyes.'"

She says she hid for three hours before Israeli soldiers arrived to rescue her.

"I was the first one to get out of the field. It took others two or three more hours to get out [and] all the way people were dying - all the way on the road, young people, [as] it's a festival for young people.

"Many many people were dying on the road.”

*Shocking visuals from the Gaza city of Palestine emerged after Israeli forces retaliated against the Islamist movement Hamas on October 07. Earlier, a barrage of rockets slammed into southern and central Israel on Saturday morning, after Hamas launched a surprise attack.

shani louk

Shani Louk was identified as the German tattoo artist whose body was paraded on a pickup truck by Hamas militants in a graphic video that has caused outrage throughout the world, her family has confirmed.

The confirmation of Louk’s identity came in comments her cousin gave to Daily Mail.

A woman named Adi Louk also wrote on X: “This is my sister Shani louk. She it (sic) taken by Hamas. She is a German citizen.” The post contained the German translation of the same message. “Das Ist meine Schwester Shani Louk. Sie wurde heute von Hamas entfuehrt. Sie Ist deutsche Staatsbuergerin.”

There are huge differences between the 2. That's not an apples to apples comparison. moo
I don't think it is reasonable to compare them either, but I understand where this emotion is coming from.

Russia did an unprovoked attack on Ukraine. Even analysts had trouble understanding the aim. To conquer land that used to have crimean Tatars that the soviets forcibly moved from the region? To scare Ukraine away from friendly relations with Europe? There was no rhyme or reason behind it, but there was plenty of war crimes. So much death and destruction. And the sheer shock, that an actual physical war still happens in Europe in the 21st century. That people are actually willing to kill and torture others for no reason.

Palestine-Israeli conflict has way more sides to it. Israel state has done horrific things as well, documented by human rights groups. Not all Palestinians are terrorists. And not all Israelis have the same view on things, either. The hate, racism and religion fuel the conflict from both sides, there are probably also problems that stem from kids in some areas growing up in the situation of wars, poverty, violence and misleading information. Both countries are also being used as pawns by other countries with their own interests. The situation is such a mess that picking words to describe any of it is really complicated. I strongly condemn violence from any side, but politically, I humbly accept that the situation is way too complicated to make any statements about the correct solution. And without a solution, I'm afraid it will never calm down.

27 July 2023: Surge in Israeli-Palestinian Violence Must be ‘Wake-up Call’ for Global Community to Redouble Efforts towards Achieving Peace, Delegate Tells Security Council

Something has to be done. But how do you fix a situation like that? When it has reached the depths of crowds cheering over tortured and killed girls bodies, how do you make everyone live in peace? How do you find and help those who just want to live their lives?

Edit: I wonder about the support rates for Hamas (and then, about the support rates for starting an actual war).

Last edited:
“Israel must use restraint in their response or risk plunging the region into a level of violence not seen for decades. Civilians must be protected. Seeking revenge will only deepen the cycle of violence

“Neither side will benefit from escalating attacks, and it is civilians who will bear the brunt. It is high time the international community addressed the immoral conditions imposed on the people of Gaza by Israel which is used to justify these latest horrific attacks.

“The imminent meeting of the UN Security Council must lead international pressure to calm the situation and restore the focus on building a lasting peace settlement in accordance with UN Security resolutions and international law. The consequences of the escalation of violence is unimaginable.”

Last edited:
Israel can crush that tiny area easily and the terrorists know that. So what's the point? There has to be something here that I'm missing.
Some analysis in this article about Hamas's probable motivation and strategy. (BBM below)

(...)

Hamas’s military leadership is aware of its own capabilities. Taking and holding ground in Israel is far beyond its reach. As the kidnapping and killing of Israeli civilians makes clear, this is an operation that was designed both to terrorise and to have as wide an international audience as possible.

And while the proximate causes of Israeli-Palestinian violence are always urgent and important, not least decades of occupation, what appears key to the timing of this assault is the wider context in the region, not least the ongoing US-brokered normalisation between Israel and Saudi Arabia that has been gathering pace recently.

Amid the continuing impotence and irrelevance of the Palestinian Authority under President Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah, the efforts by Washington first under Donald Trump (with the Abraham Peace Accords) and more recently under Joe Biden to subcontract large parts of the Middle East process to side deals with the Gulf kingdoms were always unpredictable.

While the US and Saudi Arabia have long understood that any progress on normalisation was dependent on movement towards a two-state solution, the two stumbling blocks were always seen as a far-right Israeli government that many saw as unable to compromise and a Hamas movement in Gaza outside the talks and liable to act as a spoiler.

(...)

The reality is that while Hamas has dressed up the attack as a response to Israeli incursions around the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem, it chose to trigger this conflict – at this time and in the way it did – as a way to impose itself in that wider diplomacy.

(...)

And while the appeal over Al-Aqsa is a popular one, underlined by mounting tensions around the site, the gravity of Hamas’s assault seems deliberately designed to prompt a very significant Israeli assault against Gaza, with all the inevitable civilian casualties that would involve. Deif’s wider appeal to the “Islamic resistance in Lebanon, Iraq, Syria and Lebanon” was also aimed specifically at countries who have militant movements supported by Iran, not least Hezbollah in Lebanon.

What is clear is that the conflict has beneficiaries outside of Hamas.

(...)

Pelosi will be joined by Ambassador Marco Sermoneta, the consul general of Israel, for "a communal gathering of unity and peace" at 11:30 a.m. at Congregation Sherith Israel, 2266 California St.,the Jewish Community Relations Council said Saturday.

"All Jewish community members, organizations, and allies are invited to attend and stand in solidarity with everyone in Israel and pray for peace," the council said in a statement.

RSBM

Edit: I wonder about the support rates for Hamas (and then, about the support rates for starting an actual war).

It sounds as if Hamas has a lot of support among the Palestinian people .... a majority. I don't know how many of them would want war, though.
Hamas governs the Palestinian people in Gaza, Fatah governs the Palestinian people in West Bank.

The political bifurcation of the West Bank and Gaza is widely unpopular: a June 2023 poll [PDF] by the Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research (PCPSR) showed that one-third of Palestinians consider it the most damaging development for their people since the state of Israel’s 1948 creation.
The same poll found that more than half of Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank would vote for Hamas’s Haniyeh over PA President Mahmoud Abbas in a presidential election, while just one-third of Palestinians would choose Abbas.

Can anyone access the Jerusalem Post site?

554868.jpg
Al-Asqa Mosque / Temple Mount

Najeh Bakirat, deputy director-general of the Wakf in Jerusalem, claimed that "The occupation has begun to work in a real way to change the reality of the city demographically and geographically, and has begun to drive the nails to change the reality in the blessed al-Aqsa Mosque. If the Palestinians do not first address the seriousness of this crime, then the occupation’s progress toward demolishing al-Aqsa will only be a matter of time."

Bakirat also called for Muslims across the region to hold demonstrations in support of al-Aqsa.

The Hamas terrorist movement also called on Palestinians to gather on Friday at the mosque "in defense of it, and to affirm its Islam, in the face of the occupation and the herds of settlers, who are tampering with its sanctity, and who are seeking to divide and demolish it to build their alleged temple."

"The revolutionary youth invite you to participate tomorrow, Friday, immediately after the afternoon prayer, in the confrontations on the Malka border, east of Gaza City, to fight the occupiers, shake their fortresses, and ignite the fires," wrote the group which organizes the riots.

Fire and smoke rises from buildings in Gaza.

Michael Hirsh: Hamas’ military leader was quoted as saying that it launched this new war because “enough is enough.” Why is this happening now and why are they doing it?

Dennis Ross: I think the main reason this is happening now is because of the prospect of the U.S.-Saudi-Israeli deal. Hamas understands this is a huge transformative event, and they are trying to create a circumstance where it will be difficult for Saudi Arabia to do it right. This is not spur of the moment. What’s interesting is you had the Iranian supreme leader giving a speech this past week where he attacks the idea of normalization with the Zionist entity. This attack was clearly something planned over a long period of time: the fact that they had hang gliders, they had prepared to breach the fence, they did a barrage of rockets as a way of overwhelming Israel’s air defense system, Iron Dome.

There are reports I have seen that yesterday, Hezbollah [a Lebanese militant group backed by Iran that has links to Hamas] was telling UNIFIL [United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon] to stay on their bases. Meaning, they knew this was coming. The scope of the intelligence failure in Israel is almost equivalent to literally 50 years ago [when a coalition of Arab states attacked Israel on Yom Kippur, starting the Yom Kippur War]. This surprise is equivalent, although in 1973 we’re talking about Arab conventional armies. Now we’re talking about non-state actors, although backed by a state, Iran. [Tehran, Israel’s avowed enemy, has long supported proxy groups opposed to Israel].

Hirsh: In 1973, you also had much more of an equivalence of forces to the point where Israel almost lost. I mean, now you have a modern military and air force going against Hamas as a non-state actor, as you say. It seems almost like an act of communal suicide by Hamas to do this.

Ross: It is, but think about what they’ve done. They have grabbed hostages. And they’re hoping the hostages will be a deterrent against Israel coming in on the ground. To show you the stakes, they were prepared to do this knowing what the likely Israeli response is going to be. And in a sense, Hezbollah is sort of being held at this point as kind of a possible hammer that if you [the Israelis] come in, then we’ll come in from the north. They have the ability to do something similar, at least in terms of grabbing and holding for a few days, or taking hostages back to Lebanon. There are Israeli villages that are close to the border in the north so that’s a very real option. And no doubt right now it’s affecting the Israeli choice on how and what they’re going to do in response...More at link

Schools across Israel will remain closed until at least Tuesday night, Israeli media reported.

The Times of Israel reported that businesses south of Netanya and north of the central Negev could only be opened if there was access to bomb shelters.

Gatherings would be restricted to 10 people outdoors and 50 people indoors in those areas.

Israeli hostages in Gaza 'likely to be underground'​

A short time ago BBC Radio 4's The World this Weekend spoke to Gershon Baskin, who in 2011 negotiated the release of Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier held captive by Hamas for more than five years.

He said it was likely Hamas had taken its hostages underground, which made it very difficult for Israel to locate them.

“There is no doubt in my mind that Israel’s number one objective will be to find them through military operations, and not through negotiations," said Baskin.

He said he expected that after the air strikes, Israel would send ground troops into Gaza in a "massive military operation", with the objective of killing the leaders of Hamas and freeing the hostages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper