Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I beseech everyone to be vigilant in the coming times. Take whatever precautions needed to secure yourself and your loved ones but do not live in fear. Have courage and be strong.

Seeing terrorists paragliding across the border in an invasive attack shows they're versatile, committed and willing to die.

Hamas paragliders via Sky News Instagram Oct 7, 2023

The Hamas militant group has launched an unprecedented infiltration of Israel, crossing the border on foot, motorbike and apparently by air - with paragliders.

Israel has retaliated with strikes on the Gaza Strip while Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared the nation “is at war”.

The two state solution, that's been discussed and put forth for decades, as recent as 2021.
But each side wants complete control of that entire region, each side wants the other annihilated.
Negotiation is out of the question for both sides.
It is so very complicated.
I can say that Israel (and Israelis) do not want the other side annihilated. Not the citizens. Not the people, women, children. Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Hezbollah and terrorist groups, yes. Twenty percent of Israeli citizens are Arab. When you are in Jerusalem (during peaceful days) you see that it is possible to coexist. You have Jews, Muslims, Christians all living and worshipping in very close proximity.

I don’t know what the solution is or if there is one. I know that death, destruction and devastation is not the answer. This act of terror by Hamas (and friends) will certainly set security in the region back many years.

The two state solution, that's been discussed and put forth for decades, as recent as 2021.
But each side wants complete control of that entire region, each side wants the other annihilated.
Negotiation is out of the question for both sides.

This is correct, it is out of the question. It was only 1948 when Israel was formed, how can anyone expect peace? Terriorism was used to oust the British troops who attempted to maintain control over the warring nations, research the British Officers Club in Haifa and the King David Hotel and the terrorist organisation, Irgun, LHI which operated between 1931-1948. When is a terrorist group sanctioned and when is it not, and why?
Some kind of peace may come in 100 years or more, when the original state of Palestine is long forgotten. As of now, there is no solution. Think of any conqueror which has to overpower the country's people to take control, it takes 150-200 years to achieve it, when those who lived there are long dead!
Two of my children are Jewish, and I think understanding is better than not, but we don't live in Israel, we can only observe and learn. Choose sides if we must, for our own survival, but ignoring history is a fail, imo.

Israel-Hamas war live: 260 bodies recovered from music festival, says Israeli rescue service (theguardian.com)
13m ago04.10 BST

Israel, Gaza reel as death toll soars above 1,100​

Agence France-Presse reports from Sderot, Israel

Israeli troops
fought to regain control of the desert around the Gaza Strip and evacuate people from the embattled border area on Monday, as the death toll from the war with Hamas surged above 1,100 by the third day of clashes.

Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned Israel on Sunday to prepare for a “long and difficult” conflict a day after Palestinian militant group Hamas launched a surprise assault from Gaza, firing a barrage of rockets and sending a wave of fighters who gunned down civilians and took at least 100 hostages.

More than 700 Israelis have been killed since Hamas launched its large-scale attack, according to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) on Monday - the country’s worst losses since the 1973 Arab-Israeli war.

Gaza officials reported at least 413 deaths in the impoverished and blockaded enclave of 2.3 million people, which was hammered by Israeli air strikes on 800 targets ahead of what many feared may be a looming ground invasion.

Tens of thousands of Israeli forces were deployed to battle holdout Hamas fighters in the south, where the bodies of civilians had been found strewn on roads and in town centres.

“The enemy is still on the ground,” military spokesman Daniel Hagari said as a second night fell after the massive opening attack.

Israel Gaza live updates: Death toll hits 1,000 following Hamas attack - BBC News
20:27

Iran denies any direct involvement in Hamas attack​

Iran's was "not involved" in the attack carried out by Hamas militants in southern Israel, its mission to the United Nations has said.

"We emphatically stand in unflinching support of Palestine; however, we are not involved in Palestine's response, as it is taken solely by Palestine itself," it said in a statement on Sunday, according to Reuters.

Hamas had previously said that assistance from Iran helped it carry out its dawn attack over the weekend.

Iran has backed Hamas for years and provides its fighters with weapons and training - and the militant group has said that assistance helped it to carry out its co-ordinated assault.

But Secretary of State Antony Blinken told CNN on Sunday that the US government has "not yet seen evidence that Iran directed or was behind this particular attack".

In NYC, when there are protests that are expected to be potentially explosive, the police have the opposing groups separated. They use barricades and the process is called “kettling,” so the groups will not get near each other.

Unfortunately, in today’s anti-Israel side, there was this guy brandishing a swastika.

View attachment 452326
I just canceled a trip to Miami to visit my kids. Florida has the third largest Jewish community in the US and tensions are starting to grow there.

Police were able to calm a potentially violent clash in Ft. Lauderdale. In Miami there were no reports of violence but my daughter said several temples and synagogues in her area have posted armed guards just in case.

This is correct, it is out of the question. It was only 1948 when Israel was formed, how can anyone expect peace? Terriorism was used to oust the British troops who attempted to maintain control over the warring nations, research the British Officers Club in Haifa and the King David Hotel and the terrorist organisation, Irgun, LHI which operated between 1931-1948. When is a terrorist group sanctioned and when is it not, and why?
Some kind of peace may come in 100 years or more, when the original state of Palestine is long forgotten. As of now, there is no solution. Think of any conqueror which has to overpower the country's people to take control, it takes 150-200 years to achieve it, when those who lived there are long dead!
Two of my children are Jewish, and I think understanding is better than not, but we don't live in Israel, we can only observe and learn. Choose sides if we must, for our own survival, but ignoring history is a fail, imo.
With all due respect, surely you know that Israel is the ANCIENT homeland of the Jewish people, who have lived there since the days of Abraham and then brought back in the days of Moses.

The term “Jew” is named for Judea which was part of Israel many, many millennia ago.

I know I cannot get into the entire history of Jews and the Diaspora here on Websleuths, but Jews were forced out of Israel in what’s known as the Babylon Captivity in the 6th century BC, with endless back and forth trying to stay in Israel.

In Roman times starting with Pompey the Jews were forced into slavery.

You know that Jesus was Jewish and never left the land of Israel, 2000+ years ago.

You know he lived there during the Second Temple in Jerusalem.

You know about the Crusaders, the Spanish Inquisition, The Holocaust, and all through history where Jews were displaced and mistreated, but always longed for Israel and the Holy City of Jerusalem.

Mohammed was born in the A.D. 600s, so there was no Islam until then.

Israel was RESTORED to the Jews after the Holocaust.

I‘m omitting 90% of what I want to say, but please don’t make the mistake of thinking Israel just began in 1948.

I want peace as much as anyone. IMO it will come when Jews are not so universally despised and are allowed to live in their homeland in peace.

Last edited:
43min ago

On El Al flight from New York, many young men planning to join the fight

Israelis waiting at the gate at John F. Kennedy International Airport for an El Al flight to Israel on October 8, 2023 (Hillel Zand)
Israelis waiting at the gate at John F. Kennedy International Airport for an El Al flight to Israel on October 8, 2023 (Hillel Zand)

A full El Al flight from New York lands at Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport at 4 a.m. Monday morning. The flight’s passengers are of all ages, but a disproportional number are young men returning to Israel to serve in the army, either as conscripted soldiers as reservists.

Many are lone soldiers without immediate family in Israel. As the plane lands, the pilot announces that rides to soldiers’ homes, military bases or units have been arranged for those who need them. In addition, a free bus was available outside the terminal to shuttle people to Tel Aviv’s Savidor train station.

The airport’s arrivals hall was packed with Israelis returning home, while the departure hall and gates — usually full of Israelis leaving on flights to European destinations — were relatively deserted.

With all due respect, surely you know that Israel is the ANCIENT homeland of the Jewish people, who have lived there since the days of Abraham and then brought back in the days of Moses.

The term “Jew” is named for Judea which was part of Israel many, many millennia ago.

I know I cannot get into the entire history of Jews and the Diaspora here on Websleuths, but Jews were forced out of Israel in what’s known as the Babylon Captivity in the 6th century BC, with endless back and forth trying to stay in Israel.

You know that Jesus was Jewish and never left the land of Israel, 2000+ years ago.

You know about the Crusaders, the Spanish Inquisition, The Holocaust, and all through history where Jews were displaced and mistreated, but always longed for Israel and the Holy City of Jerusalem.

I‘m omitting 90% of what I want to say, but please don’t make the mistake of thinking Israel just began in 1948.

I want peace as much as anyone. IMO it will come when Jews are not so universally despised and are allowed to live in their homeland in peace.

BBM
And when terrorist groups and nations love and value their people more than they hate the Jews and Israel.

Israel Gaza live updates: Death toll hits 1,000 following Hamas attack - BBC News
Posted at 20:5620:56

Death toll in Israel expected to rise: Military

The death toll in Israel will continue to rise as a large number of people have been critically wounded, the Israeli military said.

Jonathan Conricus, a spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), said in a video late on Sunday that it is "by far the worst day in Israeli history". Here's more on what he said:
  • "Never before have so many Israelis been killed by one single thing, let alone enemy activity on one day," he said
  • He compared the scale of the destruction from Hamas' attack to "a 9/11 and a Pearl Harbour wrapped into one"
  • The IDF says it has dealt a "fatal blow" to Hamas capabilities as airstrikes on Gaza continued overnight into Monday
  • The military has rounded up some 110,000 reserve troops who are currently in southern Israel in preparation for further combat

I just canceled a trip to Miami to visit my kids. Florida has the third largest Jewish community in the US and tensions are starting to grow there.

Police were able to calm a potentially violent clash in Ft. Lauderdale. In Miami there were no reports of violence but my daughter said several temples and synagogues in her area have posted armed guards just in case.

Years ago I worked for a JCC in Florida working with children. Very open and accepting of me as a non jew.
The center would get death threats and not be able to take children outside. The center would find unexplained boxes sitting out on property giving everyone a scare. We were always looking around to spot strangers on the grounds.
Most of the children were not Jewish and it never really mattered who was who or what.

Last edited:

Beautifully said

43min ago

On El Al flight from New York, many young men planning to join the fight

A full El Al flight from New York lands at Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport at 4 a.m. Monday morning. The flight’s passengers are of all ages, but a disproportional number are young men returning to Israel to serve in the army, either as conscripted soldiers as reservists.

Many are lone soldiers without immediate family in Israel. As the plane lands, the pilot announces that rides to soldiers’ homes, military bases or units have been arranged for those who need them. In addition, a free bus was available outside the terminal to shuttle people to Tel Aviv’s Savidor train station.

The airport’s arrivals hall was packed with Israelis returning home, while the departure hall and gates — usually full of Israelis leaving on flights to European destinations — were relatively deserted.

Brave young men and patriots.

Yes I can picture the reverse because the majority of Palestinian people are not hateful. Hamas doesn't represent them at all and I STRONGLY condemn its actions.
I appreciate your optimism, but you must have seen how the Palestinians were rejoicing when Hamas went back to Gaza with their hostages and their tales of how many Israelis they’d slaughtered.

IMO there is 100% no chance ever that they would vote for someone Jewish. Not when they train their children from toddlerhood on to hate Jews.

<modsnip - 9/11 is off topic as it will derail the thread>

IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
They are going after Hamas targets. Everyone knows that there will be civilian loss of life, which happens in every war.

The difference is that they aren’t intentionally doing so, which is the exact opposite of what Hamas did.

Those people are animals, and the time for a cease fire is when you inflict maximum damage on their ability to do this again.

They want to see Israel wiped from the map, and will want that regardless of any concessions they would receive in some fantasy world.
And I do believe Israel will succeed which is why I condemn this attack by Hamas. This was not in the best interests of Palestinians and will only make their suffering and their plight even worse.

The Israeli government goes after Palestinians as a group not just Hamas. Ethnic cleansing through forced evictions from their homes is one example of how it targets them.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
I condemn the war crimes Hamas is committing at this moment because of how evil and heartless they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member