Italy’s Highest Appeals Court to Decide Amanda Knox’s Fate

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to wonder if they are going to take it past the weekend..

Very surprised how much debate has popped up over this ... again. Also surprised at how many people truly believe that anything other than an acceptance of the guilty verdict will happen, which is probably why so much debate is going on.

Regardless of the evidence presented, I, 100%, believe the court will uphold the verdict. It's just the way this has played out. What happens from there is anyone's guess, but I just don't see any way they will overturn or nullify the previous decision, and a full acquittal is a pipe dream.

Update: Rumors that decision will come at 10pm Rome time. That is 5PM EST or 2PM PDT

:please: Oh I hope so !!!

I hope so too! That would mean ee would get the hour notification pretty soon. Hope it's true!

:seeya:

Sorry I can't post the link ... but ... Raf's sister is back at the courthouse waiting.

:thinking: I wonder where Raf is ?

Update: Rumors that decision will come at 10pm Rome time. That is 5PM EST or 2PM PDT

:please: Oh I hope so !!!

Thank you dog.gone.cute for doing the time zone math.

I hate time zones. They make my head hurt.

Don't you think the high court will side with the government?

:seeya:

Sorry I can't post the link ... but ... Raf's sister is back at the courthouse waiting.

:thinking: I wonder where Raf is ?

It was reported earlier that he won't be present when the verdict is read.

I hate playing the waiting game....... :waiting:

Very surprised how much debate has popped up over this ... again. Also surprised at how many people truly believe that anything other than an acceptance of the guilty verdict will happen, which is probably why so much debate is going on.

Regardless of the evidence presented, I, 100%, believe the court will uphold the verdict. It's just the way this has played out. What happens from there is anyone's guess, but I just don't see any way they will overturn or nullify the previous decision, and a full acquittal is a pipe dream.

... and then the real dilemma begins. Does the US govt. honour its treaty with an European ally, or count the loss of potential votes in the next election?

:drumroll: Currently 9:04 PM in Italy.

That would be:

4:04 PM EST in U.S.

3:04 PM CST in U.S.

2:04 PM MST in U.S.

And still :waiting: for a decision ... :waiting:

AK will submit an appeal to the ECHR.
Again though, the ECHR holds absolutely no authority to overturn, or even modify, a Supreme Court ruling of any member state. She can appeal her conviction on the grounds Italy has violated the European Convention on Human Rights and if the Court rules in her favor, she is entitled to compensation. It wouldn't affect the ruling of the Court of Cassation.

If the Court finds that there has been a violation, it may award you “just satisfaction”, a sum of money in compensation for certain forms of damage. The Court may also require the State concerned to refund the expenses you have incurred in presenting your case. If the Court finds that there has been no violation, you will not have to pay any additional costs (such as those incurred by the respondent State).

Please note:
The Court is not empowered to overrule national decisions or annul national laws.
The Court is not responsible for the execution of its judgments. As soon as it has given judgment, responsibility passes to the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe, which has the task of supervising execution and ensuring that any compensation is paid.

The Court does not act as a court of appeal in relation to national
courts; it does not rehear cases, it cannot quash, vary or revise their decisions.

The Court will not intercede directly on your behalf with the authority you are complaining about. In exceptional circumstances the Court may, however, grant interim measures.
As a matter of practice it only does so where there is a serious risk of physical harm to the applicant.
The Court will not help you find or pay a lawyer to draw up your application.
The Court cannot give you any information on legal provisions in force in the State against which your complaints are directed.
http://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Questions_Answers_ENG.pdf

They didn't give the one-hour notice yet?! It's now 9:15 pm their time!

Hi! I haven't really followed this case, but reading here today I have a question. Does anyone know what will happen immediately if Amanda is found guilty in Italy. Will the US take her into custody until the extradition matter is settled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowan1978