Italy’s Highest Appeals Court to Decide Amanda Knox’s Fate

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
... and then the real dilemma begins. Does the US govt. honour its treaty with an European ally, or count the loss of potential votes in the next election?
I'm American but living abroad so it's difficult for me to gauge how *most* Americans view this case - I'm not really privy to American media unless I choose to search it out...but in my view, it's even more complicated with the EU in play. If America doesn't hold up their end of the extradition treaty, how will that affect other member states of the EU? There are 28 member states of the EU - lots of potential ramifications to consider.

JMO

Hi! I haven't really followed this case, but reading here today I have a question. Does anyone know what will happen immediately if Amanda is found guilty in Italy. Will the US take her into custody until the extradition matter is settled?

Never going to happen.

True. Imagine the mental gymnastics a person must go through from beginning to (no) end when trapped in a case like this one. It is unimaginable that countries and individuals drag the fact finding mission (there is either evidence or there is not) out for so long. People at the top like to control and lord power over others - that's how this case makes me feel.
They'll keep cramming "justice" down the throats of everybody until they get their way.

Exactly .. when looking at a case it should be all about the evidence, I just find the 'oh she acted inappropriately' just so very .. very, it's irresponsible, and should be given about the same weight as other parlour games.

"US State Department sources say the uncertainty of the case against Knox means they will not agree to any extradition request."

seems clear to me.

Hi! I haven't really followed this case, but reading here today I have a question. Does anyone know what will happen immediately if Amanda is found guilty in Italy. Will the US take her into custody until the extradition matter is settled?

Do you mean will the US immediately arrest her if the guilty verdict is upheld and put her in jail until they get the green light for extridition?

There is absolutely no reason to deny extradition. No complaints from the State Dept to this point even though they have followed the case closely. Pure propoganda IMO. AK on the run from Interpol. That's about it if verdict confirmed.

Read the treaty and find out what happens upon conviction confirmed. She isn't going to be able to just do what she wants. There are procedures.

Thank you dog.gone.cute for doing the time zone math.

I hate time zones. They make my head hurt.

Don't you think the high court will side with the government?

I can't either, I have multiple time zones on my phone to keep up here, I just cannot work this out at all because I'd have to work out Italy > USA (somewhere) then convert again to mine and I just cannot do it .. so it's a mystery to me when this will come down .. :)

"US State Department sources say the uncertainty of the case against Knox means they will not agree to any extradition request."

seems clear to me.

They have had people from the State Department go to Italy the first time to monitor this case so their is no uncertainly of this case against Knox.

The State Department knows exactly has been going on the whole time.

I'm American but living abroad so it's difficult for me to gauge how *most* Americans view this case - I'm not really privy to American media unless I choose to search it out...but in my view, it's even more complicated with the EU in play. If America doesn't hold up their end of the extradition treaty, how will that affect other member states of the EU? There are 28 member states of the EU - lots of potential ramifications to consider.

JMO

According to the Daily Express ;) (link upthread) public opinion in the US is that she was railroaded. Rag papers aside, I agree with you - lots of potential ramifications, at home and abroad.

Hmmm... Daily Express didn't ask me anything. Wonder who they asked?

No. Extradition has to be requested by Italy first. She can't be taken into custody until and unless a federal arrest warrant is signed. She may also be detained in US custody while extradition is being decided but bail is granted on a case by case basis.

seems clear to me.

Funny I keep reading things like

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/seattle/2015/03/27/knox-sollecito-trial-friday/70534926/
"Prosecutors have said they would seek Knox's extradition if the convictions are upheld. A U.S. State Department spokesperson says it won't comment on that while the case is ongoing.

JMO

:seeya: Hi there !

BBM: Almost every person who has brought up this case to me believe she is "innocent" -- and the reasons they state they believe this is because the Italian system is "corrupt" ... Seriously ...

So then I ask them : what FACTS do you know about the case ? :thud:

It's the usual, well I was watching CNN or HLN ... blah blah blah ... Yep ... opinion from the biased media.

So then I explain how her family HIRED a Public Relations firm, state a few FACTS, and then it's the same ole same ole that the Italian system is "corrupt" :thud:

Most IMO have "no clue" ... just believe the talking heads ... yada yada yada ...

:moo:

Thanks DGC and all, for all the updates. :blowkiss:

I don't have cable etc. But are their any American lawyers who have been on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC etc. that believe that Amanda is guilty and that the verdict will be upheld and that she will be sent back to Italy to serve out her sentence?

According to the Daily Express ;) (link upthread) public opinion in the US is that she was railroaded. Rag papers aside, I agree with you - lots of potential ramifications, at home and abroad.

Again polls are the same as the reporting in this case, very unreliable..lol

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/poll-shows-more-50-brits-think-amanda-knox-guilty-1435335

From what they know about the case, 51% of Brits think Knox is probably guilty, while just 13% think she had probably been wrongly accused.
The outlook is very different across the atlantic where opinion is more divided.

The same poll showed 29% of Americans think Knox is likely to have killed Kercher while 21% think she is probably innocent.

Update from Andrea Vogt:

Andrea Vogt @andreavogt · 3m 3 minutes ago

In #amandaknox trial of first instance in Perugia judges deliberated from 10 a.m. to midnight.

Many speculating about judicial rift.

Alan Dershowitz, Nancy Grace, Ann Coulter... not about the extradition yet tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem